Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,674 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Cork -1 today, one case denotified

Play has resumed at Cork County and Cork Harlequins cricket clubs after a negative test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭Be right back

I was in Mahon point today. Had signs up requesting people wear masks and the majority of people there were wearing them. Good to see it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭TheChizler

I was in Mahon point today. Had signs up requesting people wear masks and the majority of people there were wearing them. Good to see it.
    Was there yesterday and turned away when I saw the sign cause I didn't have one, person on the door ran out to tell me not to worry they're not mandatory.

No new cases in Cork today

• Advertisement

3 additional cases in Cork today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,210 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

There's a video doing the rounds on Twitter of "Patrick, a Cork bus driver" where he claims he was suspended for refusing to weather a mask. He's no more a driver than I am, he's a well known "character" on the 202 route who for some reason thinks he's a bus Eireann employee. Dee Wall and other conspiracy nut jobs are sharing the video to reinforce their deluded twaddle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Family were visiting Cork from Galway this past weekend. They commented that there is a stark difference between Galway and Cork in terms of the uptake in mask wearing where Cork is evidently doing much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Treehelpplease

I must admit, everywhere I go there is good mask wearing. Was in M and S during the week and everyone was wearing a mask. Was in Tesco in Wilton and the same, same with Argos, Currys, Dunnes Patricks Street. Im surprised as it was iffy uptake at the start. Now its weird to see someone not wearing one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭cantalach

I was in Dunnes Bandon Road yesterday, and the mask compliance was fantastic. Ignoring mask-less staff (what’s that all about?), I saw just three people who were not complying - a group of three thirty-somethings who seemed determined to draw attention to themselves by talking loudly and saying stupid sh1t. But it got me wondering why on Earth the supermarket management admit them at all. If they have to turn away three people, that’s hardly going to affect revenue. It would be very easy to put a security guy on the door to enforce that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Really noticed the difference when I went shopping yesterday too - 99% of customers wearing a mask but did notice that a good few staff in Dunnes weren't (thought that was a bit odd). There was a couple in Aldi then not wearing them; and then when I was at the checkout with my mum and we were putting our items on the conveyor belt, they were behind us and the woman was right behind my mum putting her items up also....the ignorance is astounding from a small minority.

Saw a guy in lidl not wearing a mask and scratching his nether regions....needless to say I turned on my heels and avoided him!!

leahyl wrote: »
    Really noticed the difference when I went shopping yesterday too - 99% of customers wearing a mask but did notice that a good few staff in Dunnes weren't (thought that was a bit odd). There was a couple in Aldi then not wearing them; and then when I was at the checkout with my mum and we were putting our items on the conveyor belt, they were behind us and the woman was right behind my mum putting her items up also....the ignorance is astounding from a small minority.

Saw a guy in lidl not wearing a mask and scratching his nether regions....needless to say I turned on my heels and avoided him!!
    I find staff are the least compliant tbh. Was in B&Q Mahon today and no staff wearing masks, a few wearing visors but they're pretty useless. Customer compliance is extremely high.

I find staff are the least compliant tbh. Was in B&Q Mahon today and no staff wearing masks, a few wearing visors but they're pretty useless. Customer compliance is extremely high.

Yeah, I'm not sure about the visors either, they seem to be considered as effective as a mask but I can't see how - your breath still escapes out from the sides and below. I got my hair done last week and the hairdresser was wearing a visor - would have preferred if it was a mask tbh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

was in lifestyle sports in pana earlier majority of staff not wearing masks and a load of teenage stellas in tracksuits not wearing them either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

I’d rather wear the face shield or visor then the mask. Find the masks very warm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭seefin

Saw something about a cluster in Switzerland (i think). Those wearing visors were infected compared to mask wearers. Id always read that visors protected the wearer only but seems like even that isnt the case

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

I think that the guidance is quite clear. We are advised to wear a "face covering" which "covers the nose and mouth" and "fit snugly but comfortably against the side of the face."

A visor does not satisfy that.

https://www2.hse.ie/conditions/coronavirus/face-masks-disposable-gloves.html

TBF, the same link above acknowledges that a visor is "not as good as wearing a face covering, but you'll still get a good level of protection"

Each individual will have their own reasons for wearing a visor over a mask, so we should refrain from judgement. But it is important to realise that the visors provide a lessor level of protection for those around you that a visor.

No new cases in Cork today

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,612 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Pen Rua wrote: »
    I think that the guidance is quite clear. We are advised to wear a "face covering" which "covers the nose and mouth" and "fit snugly but comfortably against the side of the face."

A visor does not satisfy that.

https://www2.hse.ie/conditions/coronavirus/face-masks-disposable-gloves.html

TBF, the same link above acknowledges that a visor is "not as good as wearing a face covering, but you'll still get a good level of protection"

Each individual will have their own reasons for wearing a visor over a mask, so we should refrain from judgement. But it is important to realise that the visors provide a lessor level of protection for those around you that a visor.

Is the visor more effective at protecting the wearer then? That would make more sense if staff are wearing them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,106 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I wear a mask when in shops, that's a relatively short amount of time.
    I find them rather hot and, as a result, uncomfortable.
    I can't imagine what it must be like to be required to wear a mask for the duration of a working day.

If I was in a job that required this, I have no doubt that I'd be looking at visors, too or at taking the mask off at times.

The level of judgement and finger pointing in this thread is very high - we are all guilty of it. It's a good thing to remember that we all apply different standards to others than we do to ourselves. When it comes to ourselves, there's so many exceptions, caveats, extenuating circumstances and excuses that we never allow for in others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

leahyl wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm not sure about the visors either, they seem to be considered as effective as a mask but I can't see how - your breath still escapes out from the sides and below. I got my hair done last week and the hairdresser was wearing a visor - would have preferred if it was a mask tbh.

As I understand it, it's not about your breath per se, but moisture/spittle in the breath. As a person talks (or obviously coughs etc.) the spittle can travel some distance out from the person, potentially carrying infection. The visor would stop that. Some may 'escape' around the sides, but it's then going to drop, and travel much less far than it otherwise would.

A tight fitting mask might be better in some ways, but against that, a visor will stop anything that hits it, whereas a slightly permeable mask might not.

If the hairdresser has a visor, and the person having their hair cut can wear a mask (don't know if that's possible during the haircut?) then the risk is probably negligible.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Treehelpplease

I wore a mask during my haircut, most were. Visor is probably fine for retail. Where that becomes a problem is where the droplets can drop below the mask to something like someone making food.

also a mask being hot means it is working :-) If its uncomfortably hot look into a new mask, it might be too small for you (that happened to me while still making sure it fits right)

who_me wrote: »
    As I understand it, it's not about your breath per se, but moisture/spittle in the breath. As a person talks (or obviously coughs etc.) the spittle can travel some distance out from the person, potentially carrying infection. The visor would stop that. Some may 'escape' around the sides, but it's then going to drop, and travel much less far than it otherwise would.

A tight fitting mask might be better in some ways, but against that, a visor will stop anything that hits it, whereas a slightly permeable mask might not.

If the hairdresser has a visor, and the person having their hair cut can wear a mask (don't know if that's possible during the haircut?) then the risk is probably negligible.

Yes, to be fair I wasn't bothered enough to say it so....I guess just from reading things, you'd be paranoid that the visor isn't enough. I was wearing a mask myself though, so, it was grand. Hairdresser said that they have a choice what to use - a mask or a visor; I can imagine that it's quite uncomfortable to be wearing a mask all day alright. I guess if visors were really a no-no, there would be more said to discourage their use. Anything is better than nothing though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Is the offer of 2 hours free parking still on in North Main Street car park. Have to go into town soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭Samhain

Yes, til the end of August I think

1 additional case in Cork today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 363 ✭✭Tig98

Have much businesses closed permanently?

All I heard about was tabletop, wouldn't be surprised if covid knocked out a few of the doughnut/gelato/waffle shops aswell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,106 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Tig98 wrote: »
    Have much businesses closed permanently?

All I heard about was tabletop, wouldn't be surprised if covid knocked out a few of the doughnut/gelato/waffle shops aswell

Fellini still haven't reopened, nor Ramen on Carey's Lane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,697 ✭✭✭corks finest

Samhain wrote: »
    Yes, til the end of August I think

Great initiave

• Advertisement

Out of the 40 cases yesterday, none in Cork.
    Well done everyone.

Advertisement