Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Doing very well so far, long may it last!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,674 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

The electoral area cases map has been updated

https://covid19ireland-geohive.hub.arcgis.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,177 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Acosta wrote: »
    The Kino is a great addition to Cork live venues. Already my new favourite.

Does it have to serve food?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,106 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Does it have to serve food?

No.
    Theatre licence appears to have different rules.

It's very much not a pub gathering atmosphere.
    Seated at tables, rather like a restaurant.

Also, very controlled duration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,697 ✭✭✭corks finest

FAO the idiot middle aged biker in Lidl Carrigaline an hour or so ago
    "Masks aren't optional" wear one,,,, I just despair at times

• Advertisement

We will never have 100% compliance.
    One person not wearing a mask isn't indicative of anything.
    If everyone posted here eveytime they see someone not wearing a mask when they should...
    . well, it would get pretty boring pretty quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Did you say it to him?
    There will always be people who don't wear one...or maybe even forgot it.

On an unrelated topic...I heard a rumour of an "outbreak" in Carrigaline yesterday. Anyone got more info on this? All kinds of rumours going round these days so gonna assume for now it is not true until confirmed in the media.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87 ✭✭devondudley

What’s the actual point of posting that either ask the guy or talk to the shop manager,but no wait till u get home to post it here and mark it for his attention haha

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,612 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Ludo wrote: »

On an unrelated topic...I heard a rumour of an "outbreak" in Carrigaline yesterday. Anyone got more info on this? All kinds of rumours going round these days so gonna assume for now it is not true until confirmed in the media.

Mentioned on page 112 if that's what you are referring to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Mentioned on page 112 if that's what you are referring to.

Ah the hair salon....ffs that is prob it. The person was trying to convince me there is large scale outbreak with 8/10 cases in a couple of days. Only source was friend of friends cousin said so type crap.

• Advertisement

Did you say it to him?
    There will always be people who don't wear one...or maybe even forgot it.

No just pointed to mine and he looked away

Ah the hair salon....ffs that is prob it. The person was trying to convince me there is large scale outbreak with 8/10 cases in a couple of days. Only source was friend of friends cousin said so type crap.

Heard that,but TBH I just don't know

What’s the actual point of posting that either ask the guy or talk to the shop manager,but no wait till u get home to post it here and mark it for his attention haha

I did interact in a way,I pointed to mine ,stood in front of him,he just looked away

Of 200 cases yesterday, Cork +3.

Of 66 cases today, no new cases in Cork.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I’m sorry but confronting someone about their lack of mask is the same as confronting someone who doesn’t look disabled for parking in a disabled parking space.

Yes there are some people taking the piss but you have no idea what the reason for their lack of mask is, they could likely have a health or mental health issue preventing them from wearing one and they don’t owe interfering members of the public an explanation about their private business.
    Perhaps they disclosed their reason to staff on their way in and the staff member said it was ok not to wear one on the premises, and don’t need do gooders approaching them about it.
    If anyone has genuine concerns about a non mask wearing person deliberately trying to spread the virus they should alert a member of staff who can then deal with the customer.

I was in a shop last week and I kept fiddling with my mask because I have yet to figure out the knack for wearing one without having my glasses fog up.
    No matter what way I adjusted it my glasses would fog up and I couldn’t see, only for some woman to make a snarky remark about how my mask was now contaminated and do I not know I’m not supposed to touch it.
    What’s the solution then, walk around half blind with fogged up glasses?!

This pandemic seems to have a given a certain cohort of the public the self appointed authority to pass comment and interfere in other people’s private business and it isn’t nice to see.
    Most people are just doing the best they can in these trying times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭RINO87

^^^wash your glasses in soapy water. Fairy liquid works for me for the most part.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭rodders999

Of 200 cases yesterday, Cork +3.

Of 66 cases today, no new cases in Cork.

Great news. Are there any patients with covid in hospital in Cork or are we still clear since the unit shut in the CUH?

rodders999 wrote: »
    Great news. Are there any patients with covid in hospital in Cork or are we still clear since the unit shut in the CUH?
    CUH was a month without patients last Thursday

Mercy and St. Finbarrs are also empty

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Slim Charles

SusieBlue wrote: »
    I’m sorry but confronting someone about their lack of mask is the same as confronting someone who doesn’t look disabled for parking in a disabled parking space.

Yes there are some people taking the piss but you have no idea what the reason for their lack of mask is, they could likely have a health or mental health issue preventing them from wearing one and they don’t owe interfering members of the public an explanation about their private business.
    Perhaps they disclosed their reason to staff on their way in and the staff member said it was ok not to wear one on the premises, and don’t need do gooders approaching them about it.
    If anyone has genuine concerns about a non mask wearing person deliberately trying to spread the virus they should alert a member of staff who can then deal with the customer.

I was in a shop last week and I kept fiddling with my mask because I have yet to figure out the knack for wearing one without having my glasses fog up.
    No matter what way I adjusted it my glasses would fog up and I couldn’t see, only for some woman to make a snarky remark about how my mask was now contaminated and do I not know I’m not supposed to touch it.

This pandemic seems to have a given a certain cohort of the public the self appointed authority to pass comment and interfere in other people’s private business and it isn’t nice to see.
    Most people are just doing the best they can in these trying times.

Heaven-forbid anyone was offended by something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭cantalach

Theory vs practice. In many cases the staff will not intervene. When I complained to the security guard at a large supermarket chain, he told me that he was specifically told by management not to challenge people.
    This pandemic seems to have a given a certain cohort of the public the self appointed authority to pass comment and interfere in other people’s private business

When you characterise it as interference, this suggests that refusing to wear a mask is somehow a victimless crime (I obviously don’t mean “crime” in the literal sense here). We’re required to wear masks not to protect ourselves but to protect others. When we don’t wear them, we endanger others. There is a victim.

Also, there’s a huge inconsistency in your comment. You criticise the “do-gooders” for their interference because they cannot possibly know what genuine reasons might be preventing somebody from wearing a mask. And that is very true. But isn’t it possible that the do-gooders might also have a good reason for wanting to feel protected? They could be caring for an elderly parent, have a spouse in chemo, or a child with CF. Ignorance about what’s going on in the minds of others cuts both ways.

• Advertisement

Masks with adjustable nose pieces then to fog up glasses much less, I find.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,220 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Was in a small shop yesterday. Staff stopped two men coming in in the few minutes I was there. Dead right.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Humilde

To finish this debate once and for all, I think each country should designate one city as not having to wear masks at all. Just to follow the usual hand washing and distancing advice. I wouldn't be surprised at all if there was no difference in infection rates. At the beginning of all of this, we were told repeatedly that the main source of contagion was through touching surfaces. But this sort of grown up thinking is classed as terrorism now by the so called experts. When challenged about face mask wearing, their stock defence is that they should be mandatory just in case you could infect someone. In other words, they aren't sure. The problem is that they can manipulate figures and stats and cherry pick the expert reports to suit their own agenda. Really sick of it as this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,220 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Humilde wrote: »
    To finish this debate once and for all, I think each country should designate one city as not having to wear masks at all. Just to follow the usual hand washing and distancing advice. I wouldn't be surprised at all if there was no difference in infection rates. At the beginning of all of this, we were told repeatedly that the main source of contagion was through touching surfaces. But this sort of grown up thinking is classed as terrorism now by the so called experts. When challenged about face mask wearing, their stock defence is that they should be mandatory just in case you could infect someone. In other words, they aren't sure. The problem is that they can manipulate figures and stats and cherry pick the expert reports to suit their own agenda. Really sick of it as this stage.

It was always a good idea to wear a mask or face covering. Medics and densely populated Asian cities have been doing this for a long time.

Many on these threads said this form Feb on.

Of 56 new cases today, no new cases in Cork.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭limnam

cantalach wrote: »
    You criticise the “do-gooders” for their interference because they cannot possibly know what genuine reasons might be preventing somebody from wearing a mask. And that is very true.

Most of the reasons I've heard of such as anxiety etc should all be able to wear a face screen. There should be very few incidents were one can't wear a mask or a screen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,177 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Anyone know more about Ballincollig cluster?

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭Icantthinkof1

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Anyone know more about Ballincollig cluster?

I’ve no idea was surprised that it was in Ballincollig.
    If I had to have guessed anywhere I would have thought it would have been Bishopstown as a lot of healthcare workers live there as well as lecturers& students from UCC and CIT

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭limnam

I’ve no idea was surprised that it was in Ballincollig.
    If I had to have guessed anywhere I would have thought it would have been Bishopstown as a lot of healthcare workers live there as well as lecturers& students from UCC and CIT

There's a nursing home, could be there.

Although all through this anytime I was in Ballincollig it felt business as usual.

Advertisement