Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

Santy2015 wrote: »
    Just had a look there, population of cork county 543,000 ,cork city 210,000... 9 cases today As a percentage of population is 0.000016%
    Lockdown territory I reckon......

It's abt 500 k including city and county

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,674 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Of 93 cases today:
    34 in Dublin, 7 in Kildare, 6 in Donegal, 6 in Laois, 5 in Limerick, 5 in Wexford, 30 remaining cases in Carlow, Cavan, Clare, Cork, Louth, Meath, Monaghan, Offaly, Tipperary, Westmeath and Wicklow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,176 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Of 93 cases today:
    34 in Dublin, 7 in Kildare, 6 in Donegal, 6 in Laois, 5 in Limerick, 5 in Wexford, 30 remaining cases in Carlow, Cavan, Clare, Cork, Louth, Meath, Monaghan, Offaly, Tipperary, Westmeath and Wicklow

So less than 5, maybe 2 or 3 which is down that is good

Cork +4 from yesterday’s figures
    Of 127 today
    52 are in Dublin, 13 in Monaghan, 9 in Tipperary, 8 in Meath, 8 in Wexford, 8 in Roscommon and the remaining 29 are located in Carlow, Cavan, Clare, Cork, Galway, Kerry, Kildare, Kilkenny, Limerick, Longford, Louth, Offaly, Waterford, Westmeath and Wicklow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,251 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Santy2015 wrote: »
    Also Cork County has an area of 7,500km/sq

Big parish as they say.

There is a COVID patient in the CUH tonight for the first time in 6 weeks

Of 127 cases yesterday, Cork +1

Of 142 today,
    59 are in Dublin, 20 in Kildare, 14 in Donegal, 14 in Limerick, 8 in Wexford, 6 in Tipperary and the remaining 21 are located in Carlow, Clare, Cork, Kerry, Kilkenny, Laois, Louth, Mayo, Meath and Wicklow

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Still doing very, very well down here

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

Unbelievable 1 wtf great work down here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Is there a site where you can you get stats of what number of covid patients are in the hospitals in Ireland ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭limnam

We're doing a phenomenal job.

With such low numbers you wouldn't expect a big jump in the next two weeks with the schools. Be Interesting to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

Not having a go at anyone. I’m happy the cases are low here, long may it continue. But I don’t get the whole Cork pride thing. “Aren’t we doing a great job” etc....

What are we doing different? Are we not having house parties? Are we not taking the piss with €9 pizza & 6 pints? Are we traveling less than others?

Realistically, we almost eradicated the virus during lockdown and it hasn’t come back in any significant way because we’ve been lucky not to have any outbreaks in meat factories or the like. I’ve seen “bad” behaviour here but the virus just isn’t in the community to be spread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,105 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

H8GHOTI wrote: »
    Not having a go at anyone. I’m happy the cases are low here, long may it continue. But I don’t get the whole Cork pride thing. “Aren’t we doing a great job” etc....

What are we doing different? Are we not having house parties? Are we not taking the piss with €9 pizza & 6 pints? Are we traveling less than others?

Realistically, we almost eradicated the virus during lockdown and it hasn’t come back in any significant way because we’ve been lucky not to have any outbreaks in meat factories or the like. I’ve seen “bad” behaviour here but the virus just isn’t in the community to be spread.

This idea has been mulling around my head for a while and you expressed it well.

The idea feeds well into the whole fingerpointing that people seem to relish in during this time.
    By saying how well "we", in Cork are doing, it allows us to point the finger at counties with higher rates.
    Just like we love to point the finger at young people, foreigners, poor people etc.

However, double think is important here.
    We can congratulate ourselves for doing so well in Cork but at the same time point the finger at people within Cork who have slightly different views on how best to prevent the spread.

Basically, as long as we keep pointing the finger, we can stay safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Personally, I just want to keep saying how well we are doing because I don’t know how long it is till we get to the “this is a disaster” posts so just trying to keep a bit of positivity about the cork forum :p

H8GHOTI wrote: »

Yah, true. I wasn't saying it in a way others are making a balls of it :)

I'm just happy our cases are low

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,937 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Could it be that there is a much greater amount of semi-detached and detached living in Cork versus say, Dublin or Kildare? Less chance for families etc to mix in the common areas of apartment blocks... simply because more of us are in family bubbles in countryside houses?

Could it be that there is a much greater amount of semi-detached and detached living in Cork versus say, Dublin or Kildare? Less chance for families etc to mix in the common areas of apartment blocks... simply because more of us are in family bubbles in countryside houses?

Definitely.

No where near the population spread out over a much bigger area.

Must have an impact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,279 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

We will have our turn, you can see from other countries that when cases rise it's usually in the areas that have had less cases previously

Cork +4 yesterday

No new cases in Cork today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭Janedoe10

Gamb!t wrote: »
    Is there a site where you can you get stats of what number of covid patients are in the hospitals in Ireland ?

Covid tracker app has this info

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,612 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Janedoe10 wrote: »
    Covid tracker app has this info

The app has improved a lot with the new reports.

Just found out a person I know has gone to lanzarotte with her dad, his partner and 2 others and is now posting pics of cocktails there,

This is a disgrace, why isn't this being stopped

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

Oh yummm, cocktails.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I’ve noticed that a few shops in town have plain soap in the dispensers by their front entrance rather than hand sanitiser.
    It’s very annoying because the soap leaves a sticky, filmy texture over your hands that doesn’t go away until you wash them properly with warm water.
    I’d much rather just be told to use my own sanitiser than use soap on my dry hands or some of the other substitutes that are being used.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

SusieBlue wrote: »
    I’ve noticed that a few shops in town have plain soap in the dispensers by their front entrance rather than hand sanitiser.
    It’s very annoying because the soap leaves a sticky, filmy texture over your hands that doesn’t go away until you wash them properly with warm water.

I had that happen only once so far an it was sooo fooking annoying. Totally useless and no way to get rid of it as you say. Hope this isn't going to start becoming common.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Just found out a person I know has gone to lanzarotte with her dad, his partner and 2 others and is now posting pics of cocktails there,

Because the Government are advising against non-essential travel overseas, but not doing much to enforce it.
    I know someone that did the same with their 7 year old, then found it strange that her usual child minders would take the child upon return for 14 days.

Of 53 new cases today

- 25 in Dublin
    - 11 in Limerick
    - Remaining 17 cases located in Kildare, Longford, Clare, Cork, Kerry, Laois, Meath, Roscommon, Tipperary and Westmeath.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭.red.

Because it can't be stopped unless you shut down the airports. That haven't done anything illegal, its advised you don't travel, it's not a law.

The flights from Cork to the Canary Islands have between 10 and 40 people on them, they're safer to travel on than a school bus.
    The 14 day quarantine is a joke, it makes very little sense and isn't enforced so people are ignoring it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

.red. wrote: »
    Because it can't be stopped unless you shut down the airports. That haven't done anything illegal, its advised you don't travel, it's not a law.

The flights from Cork to the Canary Islands have between 10 and 40 people on them, they're safer to travel on than a school bus.
    The 14 day quarantine is a joke, it makes very little sense and isn't enforced so people are ignoring it.

Well if they don’t self isolate for 14 days after coming back as it’s not on the green list, that’s mandatory.

It’s not a joke, what’s a joke is people going abroad for holidays. My friend who lives in the Uk came back home recently cause he’s staying for 6 weeks, self isolated for 2 weeks , so there are people following the rules. Of someone is not willing to self isolate after traveling abroad, then they shouldn’t go abroad simple as that.

And the reason the flights are so empty is because of the genuine people choosing not to travel abroad and holiday in Ireland. I think anyone who goes abroad these year for a holiday is just a pure asshole.

Advertisement