Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭.red.

fin12 wrote: »
    Well if they don’t self isolate for 14 days after coming back as it’s not on the green list, that’s mandatory.

It’s not a joke, what’s a joke is people going abroad for holidays. My friend who lives in the Uk came back home recently cause he’s staying for 6 weeks, self isolated for 2 weeks , so there are people following the rules. Of someone is not willing to self isolate after traveling abroad, then they shouldn’t go abroad simple as that.

And the reason the flights are so empty is because of the genuine people choosing not to travel abroad and holiday in Ireland. I think anyone who goes abroad these year for a holiday is just a pure asshole.

Quarentine is mandatory yes, enforced no. That's a fact.

We had decided not to go foreign this year before covid hit and had a stay cation planned which we cancelled. We usually go to Portugal, pool all day, breakfast and lunch at the apartment, dinner out, 1/2 drinks and home. What's more dangerous about that, in a country with a similar or lower infection rate than Ireland compared to the scenes in kerry over the weekend, compared to the constant house parties around the county.
    The fire brigade burst thru a door last night due to a fire, which turned out to be another house party that happened to have a bloody smoke machine.

The flights are empty because of the 14 day quarentine period, not because the majority are being responsible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

Where do people get stats for each individual county everyday??? What website gives that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,173 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Where do people get stats for each individual county everyday??? What website gives that?

I think gov.ie / covid and also maybe the app

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

...I think anyone who goes abroad these year for a holiday is just a pure asshole.

Why are they an asshole?

Going to the Canary Islands to sit by a pool or on the beach for a week is safer than travelling all over Ireland looking to visit a different pub every night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,673 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

The daily NPHET press release on gov.ie gives county data

• Advertisement

CUH is officially empty again - the patient from 2 days ago has been discharged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

.red. wrote: »
    Quarentine is mandatory yes, enforced no. That's a fact.

We had decided not to go foreign this year before covid hit and had a stay cation planned which we cancelled. We usually go to Portugal, pool all day, breakfast and lunch at the apartment, dinner out, 1/2 drinks and home. What's more dangerous about that, in a country with a similar or lower infection rate than Ireland compared to the scenes in kerry over the weekend, compared to the constant house parties around the county.
    The fire brigade burst thru a door last night due to a fire, which turned out to be another house party that happened to have a bloody smoke machine.

The flights are empty because of the 14 day quarentine period, not because the majority are being responsible.

No it’s not, the majority are obeying the rules, any shop or shopping centre I go into people are complying with mask wearing. There is house parties cause pubs are not open properly, don’t know what’s that got to do with travelling abroad. I also had a trip planned to Portugal, the area I was going went into lockdown twice and is also not on green list. Why the f*ck would u want to go there regardless whether u have to quarantine or not after...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

H8GHOTI wrote: »
    Why are they an asshole?

Going to the Canary Islands to sit by a pool or on the beach for a week is safer than travelling all over Ireland looking to visit a different pub every night.

Well if u can’t see this thing is spread by people moving around, air travel, there is no point even engaging with u. And by the way , just cause u holiday around Ireland does not mean ur going to a different pub every night of the week? So someone who goes abroad doesn’t go to a different pub every night, how did u come to that conclusion? People can own their own mobiles , holiday homes , camper vans so no need to go out every night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

Does anyone know roughly how long the wait time is for results in Cork at the moment?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

Roesy wrote: »
    Does anyone know roughly how long the wait time is for results in Cork at the moment?

I know a person who contacted a gp last Thursday morning, tested Thursday afternoon in a test Centre and had the all clear text by Friday afternoon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,279 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

It would be good if we could see how many tests are done in each county.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

Well if u can’t see this thing is spread by people moving around, air travel, there is no point even engaging with u.

Stay in Cork so. Or is it planes that are your problem? I haven’t seen any evidence that planes are high risk.

There’s been about 40 cases in Cork over the last 2 weeks. Approximately 0.007% of our population. Who’s on a plane departing here to some sun holiday destination? The chances of catching this on a plane is beyond small.

98% of cases are not travel related. It’s actually predominantly being spread between close contacts in households and work places. If someone gets the virus abroad, it’s more likely because of their actions rather than crossing over some magical dangerous border. Bars, nightclubs, mixing with strangers. Risky behaviour regardless of country.

It’s not Feb/Mar anymore. The horse has bolted. The virus is everywhere now. There’s about 20 countries in Europe with less cases than us now (per 100k).
    Ireland = Good, Everywhere else = Bad?
    Doesn’t make sense.
    And by the way , just cause u holiday around Ireland does not mean ur going to a different pub every night of the week? So someone who goes abroad doesn’t go to a different pub every night, how did u come to that conclusion?

You’ve misinterpreted what I said. I’m saying people’s actions are more important than their location.

Of course not everyone on a staycation visits several different pubs, although some certain people are and then they point fingers at people who travel abroad. My point is that just because you stay on the island of Ireland, doesn’t mean that behaviour is risk free.

Also, some people will of course go drinking abroad. But it’s possible to travel abroad and be safer than you are here.

People can own their own mobiles , holiday homes , camper vans so no need to go out every night.

That’s not exclusive to Ireland.

Look at the following scenario and tell me how it’s more dangerous than a typical staycation.

Fly from Cork on a less than half full plane when the chances of a fellow passenger being infected are less than 0.007%. Land in a practically empty airport where everyone is wearing masks and other precautions are in place. Rent a private car. Rent a private apartment. Cook all your own meals. Spend a week on the beach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

CUH is officially empty again - the patient from 2 days ago has been discharged.

I believed it was questioned why people were kinda praising Cork for having such good figures. Well I think it's deserved. I'm a long time blow in, but even so, the figures for Cork are exceptionally good where compared to elsewhere. If it motivates people to continue doing what what's being done, then it has value.

As an aside. Has the pub/club closures also benefited A&E in CUH? I know I had spoken to one nurse who told me that the drink related issues that hinder weekends in particular have dropped a lot, which has aided their work. Anyone know how true this is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭snotboogie

limnam wrote: »
    Definitely.

No where near the population spread out over a much bigger area.

Must have an impact.

Certainly not more so than Kildare. There is roughly the same population in Cork City as there is in the entire county of Kildare, in an area that is 10 times smaller. Obviously there are mitigating circumstances like meat plants but if you are looking at population density, Cork has done extremely well.

This also maybe emphasizes that the county borders in Cork are not the best for giving us a clear picture. It's nearly a 2 hour drive from Mitchelstown to Skibb yet they are in the one area for disclosing cases. I wonder if a Cork City/West Cork/North Cork break out would be more helpful?

Of 53 cases yesterday, Cork +1

Of 217 cases today:
    103 in Dublin.
    25 in Kildare, 17 in Limerick, 17 in Tipperary, 7 in Waterford, 7 in Wicklow, 6 in Clare, 5 in Louth and the remaining 30 are located in Carlow, Cavan, Cork, Donegal, Galway, Kilkenny, Meath, Monaghan, Offaly, Roscommon, Westmeath and Wexford.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

story with merchants quay shopping centre -lot of stellas and feens in their tracksuits wearing no masks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭cantalach

mean gene wrote: »
    story with merchants quay shopping centre -lot of stellas and feens in their tracksuits wearing no masks

What is the difference between a stella and a beor?

cantalach wrote: »
    What is the difference between a stella and a beor?
    sfa

Of 217 cases yesterday, Cork +2

Of 89 cases today,
    53 are in Dublin, 15 in Limerick, and the remaining 21 cases are Clare, Cork, Kildare, Kilkenny, Laois, Leitrim, Longford, Meath, Offaly, Waterford, Westmeath, Wexford and Wicklow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Santy2015

Of 217 cases yesterday, Cork +2

Of 89 cases today,
    53 are in Dublin, 15 in Limerick, and the remaining 21 cases are Clare, Cork, Kildare, Kilkenny, Laois, Leitrim, Longford, Meath, Offaly, Waterford, Westmeath, Wexford and Wicklow

To quote a future echo edition!
    ‘Covid cases continue to rise in cork’
    Dooooooooooooooommmmm

• Advertisement

Santy2015 wrote: »
    To quote a future echo edition!
    ‘Covid cases continue to rise in cork’
    Dooooooooooooooommmmm

Echos all doom and gloom pure rag

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,279 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

mean gene wrote: »
    Echos all doom and gloom pure rag

Even the southern star going for the negative

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Santy2015

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Santy2015 wrote: »

Jaysus, the grammar in that article - “he never got put on a ventilator” yikes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭seefin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭snotboogie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

snotboogie wrote: »
    How is it scaremongering?

I wondered this, too.
    I don't think you can scare monger about something that has already happened?

Yesterday Cork +2

Of 95 today
    51 in Dublin, 6 in Kildare, 6 in Meath, the remaining 32 cases are Carlow, Clare, Cork, Kerry, Kilkenny, Laois, Limerick, Longford, Louth, Mayo, Offaly, Tipperary, Waterford, Westmeath, Wexford and Wicklow.

Of 231 cases today

133 in Dublin, 18 in Kildare, 13 in Limerick, 8 in Offaly, 7 in Galway, 7 in Wicklow, 6 in Meath, 6 in Cork, 5 in Donegal, 5 in Cavan, 5 in Waterford, remaining cases 18 cases in Carlow, Clare, Kerry, Laois, Leitrim, Louth, Mayo, Monaghan, Sligo, & Tipperary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭TheQuietBeatle

Wonder if they'll end up locking down Dublin. Given Cork's size we're doing well. 9/10 I see have the mask on.

Advertisement