Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Cape Clear wrote: »
    But you can make it mandatory for people to prove that they have had a certain vaccine before allowing them to access state services etc. which I believe is the norm in some countries.

That’s a very dangerous road to go down, particularly with a vaccine like this. Not something I’d be in favour of or support at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

SusieBlue wrote: »
    That’s a very dangerous road to go down, particularly with a vaccine like this. Not something I’d be in favour of or support at all.

Not sure I'd agree with it either but I'm sure it will be part of the debate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,673 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Of 208 today, Cork +7

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭cantalach

That’s a very dangerous road to go down, particularly with a vaccine like this.

Not following what you mean by “a vaccine like this”. Can you elaborate?

mikeym wrote: »
    I presume those that are low immune system would be offered it first.

To kill them off? Many immunocompromised people can’t get vaccines. That’s the point. So if a lot of people who can get a vaccine refuse to do so, that puts at risk the lives of those who can’t. Their so-called personal decision affects others.

• Advertisement

cantalach wrote: »
    Not following what you mean by “a vaccine like this”. Can you elaborate?

A vaccine that is being rushed through the system because we are globally under so much pressure to find a solution to this problem.
    I wouldn’t want to be forced into getting it if I wasn’t fully comfortable with it, and I don’t think anyone else should be either.

To kill them off? Many immunocompromised people can’t get vaccines. That’s the point. So if a lot of people who can get a vaccine refuse to do so, that puts at risk the lives of those who can’t. Their so-called personal decision affects others.

It’s irrelevant anyway because it will be a long time before the average Joe is eligible for the vaccine, if and when we find a successful one.

The WHO have said that globally, the first round of successful vaccines will go to healthcare and social care professionals in each country.
    The second round will go to at risk & vulnerable groups of people.
    The third round will be geared towards the average citizens of whichever countries are still experiencing high levels of cases and deaths at that time, basically wherever the virus is still out of control and the vaccines are most badly needed.
    And fourthly, when all those groups are looked after, they will begin rolling out vaccines for everyone else.
    So it will be a long time before we get to a point where we even need to worry about healthy Irish adults refusing to take the vaccine, because they won’t be prioritised for it anyway.
    I still don’t think they should be forced to have it if they don’t want it, though. Even if I was eligible I certainly wouldn’t be top of the queue jumping to get it.

A vaccine that is being rushed through the system because we are globally under so much pressure to find a solution to this problem.

Russian vaccine aside, what’s your evidence that the various vaccines trials are being rushed? I haven’t heard any mainstream expert say that they think corners are being cut, however much Donald Trump might want that to happen. On the contrary, they are all at pains to dampen public expectation because they know that it will be done safely and that this will probably take time.

The WHO have said that globally, the first round of successful vaccines will go to healthcare and social care professionals in each country.

Sorry but what the WHO has said doesn’t count for shït. They’re not in charge. The richer countries will pre-order massive quantities for their populations. Australia pre-ordered 84 million doses last week for a nationwide universal programme. Other rich countries - most likely including Ireland - will follow suit because their governments won’t get re-elected if they don’t. All politics is ultimately local.

Russian vaccine aside, what’s your evidence that the various vaccines trials are being rushed? I haven’t heard any mainstream expert say that they think corners are being cut, however much Donald Trump might want that to happen. On the contrary, they are all at pains to dampen public expectation because they know that it will be done safely and that this will probably take time.

If Donald Trump has his way and starts administering the vaccine to American citizens before it has been deemed fully safe to do so, that will put every other study and trial around the world at risk.
    They’re also already mass producing vaccines that are still in the trial period. That is rushing them, usually they don’t start producing them until trials and research are finished and they are deemed safe. They are rushing each phase to move onto the next, they usually sped years assessing the data and forming their conclusions but they don’t have that opportunity now because they are under so much pressure.

There is massive worldwide pressure to be the first to come up with a solution to this problem, and that doesn’t inspire much faith in me.
    I believe the fastest vaccine ever created was the Ebola one which took 5 years, yet reports are stating they hope to have a covid-19 one on the market by early next year?
    I haven’t seen any media reports suggesting we’ll be waiting a long time, on the contrary I’ve seen a lot of talk about continuing with lockdowns and restrictions until if and when we have a vaccine.
    There have already been issues with the Oxford vaccine which was believed to be the most promising option.

No one should be forced into immediately getting this brand new vaccine if they don’t want to.
    I’m pro vaccination myself but it just doesn’t sit right with me, if people would rather take a wait and see approach and see how others get on with the vaccine first then that should be allowed and respected too.

• Advertisement

Sorry but what the WHO has said doesn’t count for shït. They’re not in charge. The richer countries will pre-order massive quantities for their populations. Australia pre-ordered 84 million doses last week for a nationwide universal programme. Other rich countries - most likely including Ireland - will follow suit because their governments won’t get re-elected if they don’t. All politics is ultimately local.

The WHO have been leading the narrative on this whole pandemic since day one.
    Do you really this your average Irish person working from home is going to be prioritised for a vaccine over a healthcare/frontline worker?
    Or that Irish people in general will be prioritised for it if another country is experiencing an Italian style mass outbreak?
    There will obviously be guidelines and requirements in regards to who will be prioritised for the first few rounds of vaccines.
    It makes no sense to leave those most vulnerable & at high risk open to being infected while giving preference to people who aren’t as vulnerable or as high risk.
    The average Irish person doesn’t need to worry about it awhile yet.

Do you really this your average Irish person working from home is going to be prioritised for a vaccine over a healthcare/frontline worker?
    Or that Irish people in general will be prioritised for it if another country is experiencing an Italian style mass outbreak?
    There will obviously be guidelines and requirements in regards to who will be prioritised for the first few rounds of vaccines.
    It makes no sense to leave those most vulnerable & at high risk open to being infected while giving preference to people who aren’t as vulnerable or as high risk.
    The average Irish person doesn’t need to worry about it awhile yet.
    If all goes well the average Irish person will be vaccinated by May. We're in the EU, there's no such thing as priority.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭snotboogie

They’re also already mass producing vaccines that are still in the trial period. That is rushing them, usually they don’t start producing them until trials and research are finished and they are deemed safe. They are rushing each phase to move onto the next, they usually sped years assessing the data and forming their conclusions but they don’t have that opportunity now because they are under so much pressure.

How is that rushing? That is making sure that if a vaccine is approved it will be ready to go immediately.

“Leading the narrative” isn’t the same thing as running the health system in an individual country. The WHO doesn’t have jurisdiction over what individual governments do and those governments will ultimately do what is right for their populations. The intentions of our government aren’t yet clear so I don’t know what will happen here. But we can probably make a guess based on what other wealthy developed nations have started doing and, as I said, Canberra has already bought 84 million doses. This is roughly 4x the population of the country. I can’t see them diverting some of this to vaccinate frontline workers in Indonesia or the Philippines ahead of their own people. They are *clearly* intent on vaccinating every Australian sooner rather than later.

As of 8pm last night there is now 1 person in the critical care unit in the Mercy

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,612 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,173 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭seefin

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    4th Cork school now

Apparently the kid hadnt been in school the past few days so shouldn't have spread there. Where are the 3 other schools. Douglas is one i know

seefin wrote: »
    Apparently the kid hadnt been in school the past few days so shouldn't have spread there. Where are the 3 other schools. Douglas is one i know

I think Rathcormac and city centre school

Bit of a non story with nobody being deemed a contact and school continuing as normal.

• Advertisement

Of 357 cases Cork +9

As of 8pm last night there is now 1 person in the critical care unit in the Mercy
    Of 357 cases Cork +9

We're slipping up :(

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    We're slipping up :(
    Not at all. Need at least 20 a day to be concerned. Dublin has 200+ per day, we have 6/7...

Not at all. Need at least 20 a day to be concerned. Dublin has 200+ per day, we have 6/7...

Time to keep the jackeens in Dublin not let out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

I wouldn’t want to be forced into getting it if I wasn’t fully comfortable with it, and I don’t think anyone else should be either.

Ya would be the side effects?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/Health-expert-concerned-at-pubs-opening-week-before-students-return-to-Cork-c99ab883-d30e-4ddb-bf50-497dfd2d90ef-ds

Students going back to college and a UCC expert thinks the pubs shouldnt reopen.

If the students cant go to the pub they will have the house parties instead.

We have to let the pubs reopen and give them a chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/Health-expert-concerned-at-pubs-opening-week-before-students-return-to-Cork-c99ab883-d30e-4ddb-bf50-497dfd2d90ef-ds

Students going back to college and a UCC expert thinks the pubs shouldnt reopen.

I thought the majority of college courses were going to be down online this year.

fin12 wrote: »
    I thought the majority of college courses were going to be down online this year.
    Most have between 2 and 5 hours a week on campus

Hefty fines for house parties, kicked out of college, grants stopped, etc., that might stop the gatherings, some students just think of college as one big on the pi$$ sess party

• Advertisement

There is now 4 confirmed cases in the Mercy, with 1 in critical care

Advertisement