Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,673 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

A fellow BISer? :o
    Feck sake i've been compromised

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,007 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I'm doing BIS :D All our labs have been virtualised.

Ha, fair enough. You a later year I'd hope? I think 3rd/4th year most will be able to work away. A 1st year, and even some 2nd years will be lost though as most will have never touched programming languages before.

Assuming you're connecting into a terminal via an app/website and doing it via that rather than your own laptops needing to be powerful to run the IDEs.

titan18 wrote: »
    Ha, fair enough. You a later year I'd hope? I think 3rd/4th year most will be able to work away. A 1st year, and even some 2nd years will be lost though as most will have never touched programming languages before.

Assuming you're connecting into a terminal via an app/website and doing it via that rather than your own laptops needing to be powerful to run the IDEs.
    All the lab equipment has been virtualised on Azure, which we started sorta using last year so basically all tutorials are being done by connecting to the lab itself, sorta like being there in person

All the lab equipment has been virtualised on Azure, which we started sorta using last year so basically all tutorials are being done by connecting to the lab itself, sorta like being there in person

Can ye still play games that way? It's not a lab if half the class aren't playing some form of game

Back to the topic, I can understand students needing to move up if they're doing courses like that. The students who's courses are lecture based, and assignments are going to be essays, I think most internet connections will be fine with that. I'm sure there's some back of beyonds place with internet that can't manage that but I'd say 95% of those students can learn from home

Can ye still play games that way? It's not a lab if half the class aren't playing some form of game

Back to the topic, I can understand students needing to move up if they're doing courses like that. The students who's courses are lecture based, and assignments are going to be essays, I think most internet connections will be fine with that. I'm sure there's some back of beyonds place with internet that can't manage that but I'd say 95% of those students can learn from home

agar.io is the goto nowadays

• Advertisement

agar.io is the goto nowadays

We installed Lan versions of Counter Strike and halo on the pcs, and had year Vs year battles. There was haxball too of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 719 ✭✭✭calnand

Apple are now offering their staff self test kits that are done weekly by some crowd in the UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

I had the test done today in advance of a day procedure on Wednesday. It was actually fine, I didn’t mind it at all and it was done in about 30 seconds. I was told that they will only contact me if it’s a positive result so if I hear nothing by tomorrow afternoon then just turn up at the hospital on Wednesday morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,239 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

So with the acting CMO saying that there are 70 cases linked to pubs in cork, does that mean what Phillip Nolan said about them being unable to trace back after a certain point untrue then ? Why was cork specifically mentioned ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    So with the acting CMO saying that there are 70 cases linked to pubs in cork, does that mean what Phillip Nolan said about them being unable to trace back after a certain point untrue then ? Why was cork specifically mentioned ?

I think they have mentioned Cork and why the keep mentioning it , is cause they want to lock down the place more than anywhere else. I don’t think it is fair to lock us down just yet as our cases are not as high as when they locked down Dublin and Donegal.

• Advertisement

Des Cahill threw some pics up from the city centre there

https://twitter.com/CllrDesCahil/status/1310669933110587394?s=20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,216 ✭✭✭Be right back

There seems to be a fair few people wearing masks there.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Very busy in the city tonight.
    Long queues outside wetherspoons too.

Is close queueing considered risky even if it is outdoors?

fin12 wrote: »
    I think they have mentioned Cork and why the keep mentioning it , is cause they want to lock down the place more than anywhere else. I don’t think it is fair to lock us down just yet as our cases are not as high as when they locked down Dublin and Donegal.
    I reckon if we see low-ish cases again tmrw the media will hop off the bandwagon again

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Very busy in the city tonight.
    Long queues outside wetherspoons too.

Is close queueing considered risky even if it is outdoors?
    The risk is generally believed to decrease quite significantly outdoors

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

Bit confused....Seems to be a fair bit of talk about Cork yet our figures are not that bad comparatively speaking....Dublin’s figures are wild/out on control yet not much focus on that...

The risk is generally believed to decrease quite significantly outdoors

Yeah... I just hope staff inside pubs are enforcing distancing indoors.

I have seen young people in close queues all summer, so hopefully it's not too risky.

Bit confused....Seems to be a fair bit of talk about Cork yet our figures are not that bad comparatively speaking....Dublin’s figures are wild/out on control yet not much focus on that...
    I was kinda shocked when all the media started asking about Cork at the press conference today when Dublin had 200+, one of their highest ever.

Our cases have been rising fairly steeply. Lots of focus on Dublin these past couple of weeks!

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Our cases have been rising fairly steeply. Lots of focus on Dublin these past couple of weeks!

Not in same league as Dublin when you look at %.....Increasing but not anywhere near Donegal or Dublin % wise...

• Advertisement

I was kinda shocked when all the media started asking about Cork at the press conference today when Dublin had 200+, one of their highest ever.

Yeah I’m a bit baffled....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

An average of 38 cases per day over two weeks is enough to push our 14 day rate over the 100 cases per 100k mark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Really can't understand why people are confused/surprised/baffled/shocked. It is not that complicated. Dublin was focus in last few weeks and is now locked down. Now emphasis is on other areas with increasing rates who can still do something to avoid a lockdown.

Ludo wrote: »
    Really can't understand why people are confused/surprised/baffled/shocked. It is not that complicated. Dublin was focus in last few weeks and is now locked down. Now emphasis is on other areas with increasing rates who can still do something to avoid a lockdown.

If we don't get locked down this weekend (I'd say it's 50/50 ATM), I'm pretty sure we will be by the weekend after unless cases start going down

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭physioman

It's the recent increase in testing that is causing more positive results. On the news it showed marked increases in roscommon and monaghan. It's because more hse staff have been redeployed to testing and more asymptomatic people are testing positive. I'd love to see the figures (albeit there is no test for it) for people with the flu this time last year. Wouldn't be too different to the number of covid cases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,163 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Des Cahill threw some pics up from the city centre there

https://twitter.com/CllrDesCahil/status/1310669933110587394?s=20

TBF Dublin pubs got ripped to shreds for scenes like this, does anyone ever learn :rolleyes: we will hear of more talk of Cork lockdown or restrictions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,845 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I tested positive after dinner in Thompsons before they closed down. In fairness, they seemed well organised on the night, tables well spaced out, all staff wearing masks etc, but at the end of the day if you have a few staff members infected it's not gonna end well.

Thankfully doesn't seem like I've given it to anyone else. The place was busy that night though, so ya have to wonder how many others picked it up there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,163 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    I tested positive after dinner in Thompsons before they closed down. In fairness, they seemed well organised on the night, tables well spaced out, all staff wearing masks etc, but at the end of the day if you have a few staff members infected it's not gonna end well.

Thankfully doesn't seem like I've given it to anyone else. The place was busy that night though, so ya have to wonder how many others picked it up there.

Take Care

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

I just read their posts on Facebook page. I was in there the week before. Feeling scared now to go out anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

The student shaming relating to covid is borderline hilarious. I’ve never seen the UCC / CIT area quieter in my life. Students have been made aware from the middle of August that the learning was to be blended and anything that could be done online would be done online, and plenty of notice would be given for any in person activity to sort out travel arrangements. It’s not a surprise that college is online now.

Go look at the Galway COVID thread. 200+ students gathered in Spanish Arch area last night.

Advertisement