Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,462 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Pen Rua wrote: »
    Go look at the Galway COVID thread. 200+ students gathered in Spanish Arch area last night.

We shouldn't shame these little dears in our current "everyone gets a medal for being awesome" culture.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Treehelpplease

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0929/1168083-coronavirus-figures/
    Cork for instance has registered 66 cases of coronavirus per 100,000 of population over the past 14 days. That is actually below the national average, which is 84 cases per 100,000. But what is alarming NPHET about Cork is not so much the actual number, but the pace at which it has been rising. It has been increasing for about three weeks and gone up by as much as 103% in the past seven days.

That is an enormous pace of increase. Add to that the news from Dr Glynn that 70 cases of the disease in Cork in recent weeks have been associated with pubs and restaurants.

Then there is the fact that since Co Cork is such a big place, the relatively low countywide incidence of the disease disguises what is actually going on in the city and urban areas, where the growth in cases has been particularly striking.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Gearing us up for level 3 I think :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,673 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

The growth rate is equitable to the large clusters. I know of one of the pubs closed that has at least 10 cases. That's why the growth rate is high.
    Let's be honest, it was a miracle that our numbers were so low for so long. Nobody could understand why.
    An increase from an incredibly low number to a relatively low number that we have now appears way worse than it is, in all fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

The last few weeks have proved that there are so many people out there who can’t be trusted to do the right thing.

This is what’s caused the spread in Donegal. Parties for retirements, communions, 50th birthday parties. https://www.thejournal.ie/donegal-restrictions-5216784-Sep2020/

No doubt it’s the same here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,846 ✭✭✭Zardoz

bee06 wrote: »
    The last few weeks have proved that there are so many people out there who can’t be trusted to do the right thing.

This is what’s caused the spread in Donegal. Parties for retirements, communions, 50th birthday parties. https://www.thejournal.ie/donegal-restrictions-5216784-Sep2020/

No doubt it’s the same here.

It just boils down to selfishness. Sense of entitlement .

Parties for retirements, 50th birthday parties, what the hell is wrong with people.
    None of these events should be taking place.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

2 cases in a primary school near me in Ballincollig.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭Icantthinkof1

2 cases in a primary school near me in Ballincollig.

What schools are they?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Scoil Barra

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,239 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Seems like it’s a case of when not if cork goes to level 3 unless something happens to arrest the rise in cases or at least the speed of the increase.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

I interviewed for a job in Scoil Barra once. That could've been fun!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Only Scoil Eoin and BCS without a case in Ballincollig schools so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Only Scoil Eoin and BCS without a case in Ballincollig schools so

And Gaelscoil an Chaisleáin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

The growth rate is equitable to the large clusters. I know of one of the pubs closed that has at least 10 cases. That's why the growth rate is high.
    Let's be honest, it was a miracle that our numbers were so low for so long. Nobody could understand why.
    An increase from an incredibly low number to a relatively low number that we have now appears way worse than it is, in all fairness.

Really don't get our logic there. You appear to be trying to minimise it by saying it only looks bad. But in reality, it appears worse because it IS getting rapidly worse. If the current trend continues, we will be in big trouble so of course the NPHET want to do something to stop it asap before it gets out of hand.

Having said that, I really hope yesterdays slightly lower figure continues today.

https://twitter.com/FergalBowers/status/1310932704003870721?s=20

While still not at level 3, definitely increasing quickly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

https://twitter.com/FergalBowers/status/1310932704003870721?s=20

While still not at level 3, definitely increasing quickly

What’s going on in Monaghan and Roscommon? Their incidence rate is far above Cork and there is no mention of restrictions there. Different profile of outbreaks?

Ludo wrote: »
    Really don't get our logic there. You appear to be trying to minimise it by saying it only looks bad. But in reality, it appears worse because it IS getting rapidly worse. If the current trend continues, we will be in big trouble so of course the NPHET want to do something to stop it asap before it gets out of hand.

Having said that, I really hope yesterdays slightly lower figure continues today.
    If we had the same rates as Donegal we'd have ~150 cases per day. Perspective and context is more important than the daily figures.

Pen Rua wrote: »
    What’s going on in Monaghan and Roscommon? Their incidence rate is far above Cork and there is no mention of restrictions there. Different profile of outbreaks?

I think they are mentioning Cork and Galway because they are urban centres which have seen a pretty rapid increase in cases, so because population numbers are higher the incidence rate appears lower. Cork is also just a large county.

I think they will be mentioning those counties soon though once they reach Donegal levels which hopefully will not happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Wyldwood wrote: »
    And Gaelscoil an Chaisleáin?

Yes haven't heard of a case there either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

If we had the same rates as Donegal we'd have ~150 cases per day. Perspective and context is more important than the daily figures.

It is about the rate of increase and spread. That is the context rather than a direct comparison to Donegal's numbers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Treehelpplease

as well as that i'd rather they react now while it's clear cases are going up than wait until they're bad to react. PROACTIVE not REACTIVE. next week's cases happen this week.

40 cases in cork today

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Level 42

Not bad thought it be worse

40 cases in cork today

Over 100 backlogged cases in the total today. I would say about 30 in Cork today with the remainder backlogs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,220 ✭✭✭saabsaab

I think they are mentioning Cork and Galway because they are urban centres which have seen a pretty rapid increase in cases, so because population numbers are higher the incidence rate appears lower. Cork is also just a large county.

I think they will be mentioning those counties soon though once they reach Donegal levels which hopefully will not happen.

They also have third level institutions and a large influx recently. Same will probably happen in Carlow, Sligo, Waterford, Letterkenny etc etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,163 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

40 cases in cork today
    Over 100 backlogged cases in the total today. I would say about 30 in Cork today with the remainder backlogs.

We are still high though, how are the hospitals?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,239 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I’m sure there’s a reason for backlog of cases but it just makes things more confusing and many people just see the number and don’t know about a backlog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,163 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Cork's 14 day incidence rate (per 100k) is now 71.47 with today's included.

Lockdown thresholds for reference:

6th August: Laois (69.7), Offaly (80.8), Kildare (82.2)
    16th September: Dublin 114.2
    24th September: Donegal 148.2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Equally there are going to be some backlogged cases related to today announced in the next few weeks so it all averages out

Advertisement