Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,103 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

mean gene wrote: »
    Are you being ignorant to the facts that schools reopening have opened up clusters all over the city

So why hasn't the same happened allover the country?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,161 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

What closes in Level 3, pubs, restaurants and gyms? No none essential travel in or out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    What closes in Level 3, pubs, restaurants and gyms? No none essential travel in or out?

I think gyms stay open do they for individual training but no classes from what I recall

edit*
    https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/ad569-level-3/#sports

Yep

Gyms, leisure centres and swimming pools

Gyms/leisure centres/swimming pools open with protective measures, for individual training only.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,007 ✭✭✭✭titan18

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

Reduced capacity on weddings, funerals. Cinemas closed, reduced capacity for sports are the others from what I've gathered

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Are you being ignorant to the facts that schools reopening have opened up clusters all over the city

Or are people getting it in the community and then it’s getting into schools as a result. In other countries the child to child and teacher / child transmission was very low. Children were catching it in the community.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,239 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Are you quoting and arguing with yourself?

I’m quoting myself to better make a point I’d made in a previous post about schools. I was quoting you because you’re post made the point I was trying to make.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭Trouser Snake

Will children's sports such as GAA, gymnastics soccer and the like be affected by stage 3 lockdown?
    Tested Monday 3.30 got results 8.30 this morning on the Mallow Road facility so 36 hour ish turnaround time.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭thepogues

If there is a lockdown in Cork (as is looking likely) will there be a few days notice or is it more likely to be put into effect immediately?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,161 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

titan18 wrote: »
    Reduced capacity on weddings, funerals. Cinemas closed, reduced capacity for sports are the others from what I've gathered

I thought 25 max at weddings was for all ROI

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

60 out of 550 000 no need for a lockdown crazy sh1t

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Locking down the entire county when the vast majority of cases are centred in and around the city is incredibly harsh. To think the likes of Bantry and Clonakilty would be shut down when their cases are next to nothing is so disheartening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭Trouser Snake

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Locking down the entire county when the vast majority of cases are centred in and around the city is incredibly harsh. To think the likes of Bantry and Clonakilty would be shut down when their cases are next to nothing is so disheartening.

It's not a lockdown though. Some businesses face more restrictions, and that's what has to be done. We'll get through it. It's a temporary measure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    It's not a lockdown though. Some businesses face more restrictions, and that's what has to be done. We'll get through it. It's a temporary measure.

It’s not temporary though, that’s the problem.
    The government have indicated that we can expect rolling localised lockdowns for at least another 9 months. We’re already 6 months in, that’s 18 months of businesses being opened and closed every few weeks/months with very little notice, reduced revenue, as well as all the usual issues that comes with and recession.
    This is going to decimate many industries and businesses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Level 3 tomorrow I’d say, 60 cases today.
    Unfortunately it hasn’t stabilised.

What day/night of the week did Donegal lockdown begin?

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Well the post quoted above yours makes a fair point in that schools opened all together and if it was schools that were the issue then numbers would have risen across the board and they haven’t really.

They have though. Everywhere has increased.

You’ve just added 2 and 2 and got 5.
    There has been no growth in cases under the age of 19. Not sure why that’s hard to get?
    Please point me to a cluster (2+ cases) in a Cork school.

R u forgetting the teachers that work there? Obviously they wouldn’t be in the under 19 age bracket.

SusieBlue wrote: »
    The government have indicated that we can expect rolling localised lockdowns for at least another 9 months. We’re already 6 months in, that’s 18 months of businesses being opened and closed every few weeks/months with very little notice, reduced revenue, as well as all the usual issues that comes with and recession.

The owners of most businesses are not poor. The employees will be OK. These things will come back.

The context of this debate is a virus that could hurt many people, I think the measures being taken are the correct things to do?

But I don't know. I don't make the rules.

And what is the alternative exactly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,007 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Theres likely people there working elsewhere though so those people will go to where the spread is higher and bring it back into the local community. Perhaps not Bantry as much but Clon likely does have a decent amount of people commuting into the city centre for work. Maybe they'll exclude West Cork completely, but I think it'd be hard to exclude places like Midleton, Cobh, Fermoy etc as they're pretty much commuter towns

• Advertisement

The owners of most businesses are not poor. The employees will be OK. These things will come back.

The context of this debate is a virus that could hurt many people, I think the measures being taken are the correct things to do?

But I don't know. I don't make the rules.

The payment has already been reduced to €300 for full time workers, that doesn’t go very far when you have bills to pay. Being laid off can also be extremely demoralising and the lack of stability for workers, both financially and emotionally, is going to be extremely tough to bear, particularly if it continues into late next year.
    It’s a very very anxious time for anyone whose job is at risk.

These things will come back eventually I’m sure, but that doesn’t give much hope to the people who have already lost their jobs, the further damage to the economy is going to hinder their chances of getting another one.
    And as I said, if there was an end in sight, this would be a reasonable ask and expectation, but 18 months+ will cause irreparable devastation to some people’s lives that they’ll never recover from.

I don’t have all the answers, I am just musing the effectiveness of continuously opening, closing, and reducing entire industries.
    I’m failing to see the logic in locking down when the cases will inevitably rise again when we reopen anything. It seems a bit pointless.
    We can’t suppress it forever, it isn’t sustainable for the economy or for society. We need to learn to live alongside the virus.
    What if there’s no vaccine?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭snotboogie

titan18 wrote: »
    Theres likely people there working elsewhere though so those people will go to where the spread is higher and bring it back into the local community. Perhaps not Bantry as much but Clon likely does have a decent amount of people commuting into the city centre for work. Maybe they'll exclude West Cork completely, but I think it'd be hard to exclude places like Midleton, Cobh, Fermoy etc as they're pretty much commuter towns

I wouldn't be surprised if they just locked down the city.

snotboogie wrote: »
    I wouldn't be surprised if they just locked down the city.

It would be better but Dr Ronan Glynn for some reason was saying for Cork he’d just lockdown the whole place. He said he didn’t know where this talk had come from but it came from Michael Martin he actually was talking in a press conference about having more localised lockdowns as opposed to whole counties. Dope doesn’t even know what the Leader of the government has said.

I don’t have all the answers, I am just musing the effectiveness of continuously opening, closing, and reducing entire industries.

I’m failing to see the logic in locking down when the cases will inevitably rise again when we reopen anything. It seems a bit pointless.
    We can’t suppress it forever, it isn’t sustainable for the economy or for society. We need to learn to live alongside the virus.

The logic is to keep the virus from spreading out of control, so there is a shut and lift strategy, I think.

It makes sense, a certain balance between the things you mention. The vaccine should be rolled out next spring or summer.

I just do not see any better alternative. But that's just me. I could be wrong.

We've been told we must "live with covid" . Locking down and reopening constantly with small cases numbers for the next 6-9 months is not sustainable and is most definitely not "living with covid"

So the alternative is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,239 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

It’s the rate over time not just a single number.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

This is decades of mismanagement of our health system coming back to bite us in the ass. Our hospitals will not cope with an influx of big numbers so the government has to shut the place down to prevent that. We have half the numbers of ICU bed numbers compared to the EU average. Germany were the first to open up it's no coincidence that they have the highest amount of ICU beds. Our current and our former leader were both health ministers and both failed yet we give them a promotion.

The logic is to keep the virus from spreading out of control, so there is a shut and lift strategy, I think.

It makes sense, a certain balance between the things you mention. The vaccine should be rolled out next spring or summer.

I just do not see any better alternative. But that's just me. I could be wrong.

No one has all the answers, all we can do is speculate from our own perspectives.
    We could all be wrong, only time will tell when we have the benefit of hindsight.

From what I can see the virus seems to be most dangerous to anyone 65+ and/or with underlying conditions, and those who are immunocompromised.
    The vast majority of deaths have occurred in nursing homes.
    My line of thinking would be to invest all resources into protecting and supporting the people in those groups, and let everyone else assess their own risk and get on with things, keep all industries open and people working while maintaining cough etiquette, masks and social distancing etc.
    I just don’t see the logic in telling fit, healthy young people to stay locked in their houses.
    Let those who are able to work keep the economy rolling while we do all we can to protect those at risk.

But as you said yourself, I don’t know if that’s definitively the right course of action. I just see that 6 we’ve gone through months of lockdown and restrictions already and we’re back to square one.
    That’s what’s making me question the logic of another 9 months of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Treehelpplease

When did anyone say the whole county was going to be locked down? If anything they keep saying just the city. And it's not lockdown, it's level 3 of the restrictions
    Today. Not that long ago it was single digits. It has been growing a lot. The cases next week have already happened so they need to be proactive and not reactive. Also, it isn't a lockdown. IT's level three of the rescritions instead of level 2. two higher ones after this. level 5 is like the one from April i believe.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

We need to learn to live alongside the virus.
    What if it’s allowed to spread out of control and kills a large number of people? Do people forgot how it ravaged places like Italy and the scenes from there? And we’ve seen cases rise here and other places and lockdowns have been the only action to reduce those numbers.

I’ve heard a lot of people that say “we need to live alongside the virus”. What does this mean exactly? We have been living along side it, taking measures to prevent it spreading unabated, ensuring the health system doesn’t crack under pressure. Lockdown sucks, but nobody comes up with a viable alternative other than the meaningless “live along side it” as if we just continue along and there will be no impact to the economy/society when it hits hard.

Advertisement