Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

No way that's happening

Yeah. They may well have recommended it as the best thing to do from the sole perspective of public health. That is their job. Now the government will need to balance that with other factors. It probably does mean level 4 nationwide though as a compromise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭Timing belt

Ludo wrote: »
    Yeah. They may well have recommended it as the best thing to do from the sole perspective of public health. That is their job. Now the government will need to balance that with other factors. It probably does mean level 4 nationwide though as a compromise.

Agreed I can see Level 4 nationwide and they are only mentioning Level 5 to give the government a chance to show that NPHET are not running the country

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,238 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

This might be wrong but is there any chance this news getting out was a way to shock the country into refocusing minds on how easy it is to get back to where we were in March and April ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,673 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Level 3 nationwide with Dublin level 4 according to Newstalk

Level 3 nationwide with Dublin level 4 according to Newstalk

Government haven't met yet so who knows.

• Advertisement

Augeo wrote: »
    Government haven't met yet so who knows.
    The government talks.

The government talks.

To newstalk is it...... Micheal rang Leo who rang Ciara Kelly :rolleyes:

To newstalk is it...... Micheal rang Leo who rang Ciara Kelly :rolleyes:
    Cabinet have been leaking things since they got in there.

You are obviously a huge newstalk fan.... If you think anything has been decided yet you're underestimating the task at hand IMO.

You are obviously a huge newstalk fan.... If you think anything has been decided yet you're underestimating the task at hand IMO.
    I've never listened to Newstalk in my life. The Examiner always have leaks from cabinet, as does Gavan Reilly from Virgin Media, as do Newstalk.
    It's not some state secret that the cabinet talk, they never stop talking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

I've never listened to Newstalk in my life. The Examiner always have leaks from cabinet, as does Gavan Reilly from Virgin Media, as do Newstalk.
    It's not some state secret that the cabinet talk, they never stop talking.

The examiner were saying all week we were going to put into level 3 which didn’t happen.

fin12 wrote: »
    The examiner were saying all week we were going to put into level 3 which didn’t happen.
    That was a prediction based on case numbers. Never mentioned cabinet sources.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

Completely nuts. I think they have tried to shock the people so they can go to level 4, and people will accept it as it wasn't level 5. They are testing the water big time with this one. This is a very dangerous crossroads imo. Nothing would surprise me with Martin if we go to 5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Well it seems that we’re no longer in this together because the arguments I’ve seen across all social media platforms tonight have been absolutely vicious, there is now a massive divide between the people on both sides of the argument.
    Safe to say I never want to hear the terms granny killer and lockdown merchant again.
    They are never going to get close to the same level of compliance as last time when there is now so much tension and frustration out there.

Also having a 5 level plan is completely redundant if they are going to swing from level 2 to 5 at the drop of the hat. I don’t feel like they’re going to have the public’s support on this one, and this can’t work without public support.

Tomorrow will be interesting, but I hope they have a plan and funds in place to bail out the hospitality and tourism industries because this is going to absolutely decimate them.
    At the very least they need to bring the PUP back up to €350 and give another mortgage/loan break to those in the industries they are closing if they are planning to put hundreds of thousands of people out of work again.
    It was going to be a bleak winter as it was, but it’ll be even worse now for those out of work.
    How they expect anyone to pay rent and bills and support a family on €300 a week is beyond me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Seeing the video of celebrations at Blackrock's win today shows that some just don't care. Team and management are completely reckless to just walk down a road into a big group of people, hugging and jumping up and down with them. That along with the reckless, idiotic attendances at some of the GAA matches is a slap in the face to everyone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Corholio wrote: »
    Seeing the video of celebrations at Blackrock's win today shows that some just don't care. Team and management are completely reckless to just walk down a road into a big group of people, hugging and jumping up and down with them. That along with the reckless, idiotic attendances at some of the GAA matches is a slap in the face to everyone else.

I knew a few lads at it or involved with the club and seen a few pictures/videos of the celebrations and knew it was going to blow up.

Everyone involved in it needed to have a bit of cop on FFS and adhere to the rules.

Jim Gazebo wrote: »
    Completely nuts. I think they have tried to shock the people so they can go to level 4, and people will accept it as it wasn't level 5. They are testing the water big time with this one. This is a very dangerous crossroads imo. Nothing would surprise me with Martin if we go to 5.

I think it’s all got to do with that Tony Holihan, he arrives back on the scene and talk of us going all going to level 5. How it fair like a county like Sligo has to go on the same level 5 as a county like Dublin who’s cases are out of control.

The man is a nutcase.

............. a county like Sligo has to go on the same level 5 as a county like Dublin who’s cases are out of control.

Monaghan is worse then Dublin.

Of yesterdays 364 cases 100 are in Dublin, with 55 in Cork. The level 3+ in Dublin is actually keeping things somewhat under control.

Monaghan is worse then Dublin.

Of yesterdays 364 cases 100 are in Dublin, with 55 in Cork. The level 3+ in Dublin is actually keeping things somewhat under control.

Why are u mentioning Monaghan? My example was Sligo , it’s not fair to put Sligo on level 5 and other counties with low cases. What was the point of this different levels so if they are just going to put every county all on the same level. It’s a joke and they haven’t a clue what they are doing.

Monaghan. And Donegal cases are coming from the north.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭LAZYIRISH

I challenged 2 young fellas in Aldi without masks last night. I got the, "I have breathing difficulties", line followed by, "there's no need to be so rude".

I wasn't in the mood for a row so I simply stated that I had not, in any way, been rude.
    I said, word for word, "lads, wearing masks in shops is mandatory."

Another customer approached a staff member about them but was, understandably, told that staff don't challenge this.
    I do think, though, that security should challenge these muppets.

As of today the wearing of masks are only mandatory on public transport.

• Advertisement

Why are u mentioning Monaghan? ......

Because you mentioned Dublin was out of control when it looks like the level 3+ restrictions in Dublin are working to an extent.

Strange how Tony said this some months ago........

https://www.corkbeo.ie/news/local-news/dr-tony-holohan-says-not-18408957?utm_source=taboola&utm_medium=display&utm_campaign=exchange

"Dr Tony Holohan says we will not need full lockdown if second wave hits Ireland"

I wonder is he fit to return to work given what's going on in his personal life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,103 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Strange how Tony said this some months ago........

https://www.corkbeo.ie/news/local-news/dr-tony-holohan-says-not-18408957?utm_source=taboola&utm_medium=display&utm_campaign=exchange

"Dr Tony Holohan says we will not need full lockdown if second wave hits Ireland"

I wonder is he fit to return to work given what's going on in his personal life.

Look, to be fair, everyone is learning about this pandemic.
    I don't think it's fair to be quoting people from months or even weeks back when the situation changes daily.
    Anti mask people still quoting sources from back in March. The situation changes and our knowledge changes.

Expecting absolute constiencency in how we approach this is naive, at best.

Expecting absolute constiencency in how we approach this is naive, at best.

Look ........I'm not looking for absolute consistency.
    His second in command was saying nothing like level 5 nationwide end of last week. Tony comes in with this level 5 nationwide spiel completely out of the blue.

Surely quoting what he said about a second wave is apt when we are looking at a second wave?

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Whestsidestory

Tbh there is very little difference restriction wise between level 4 and 5

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

GavRedKing wrote: »
    I knew a few lads at it or involved with the club and seen a few pictures/videos of the celebrations and knew it was going to blow up.

Everyone involved in it needed to have a bit of cop on FFS and adhere to the rules.

Same . Saw them asking people to line the roads and you knew it would be disaster. Why the opinion line and prendeville refuse to cover it is beyond me. If a soccer club did it, they would absolutely hammer them and try and tarnish reputations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭LessOutragePlz

I reckon there'll be protests galore if they go to level 5 plenty of people won't stand for it.

Blackrock GAA are in for a lot of hate today. Very stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Blackrock GAA are in for a lot of hate today. Very stupid.

Only takes a few to ruin it for all. Pure and utter stupidity. Deserve all the hate they get imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,159 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I have heard a few families are in isolation now after St. Gabriel's special needs school cases

Main thread has that GAA has suspended all matches and training, which is good imho, sporting events should be cancelled, non essential necessity, sorry GAA lovers

Advertisement