Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I have heard a few families are in isolation now after St. Gabriel's special needs school cases

Main thread has that GAA has suspended all matches and training, which is good imho, sporting events should be cancelled, non essential necessity, sorry GAA lovers

Most other sports were complying. GAA wasn't and rightly have been shut down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,673 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Jim Gazebo wrote: »
    Most other sports were complying. GAA wasn't and rightly have been shut down.

You can’t say the GAA as a whole wasn’t complying. There’s two Cork clubs who made a fool of themselves. How is that the whole GAA?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,007 ✭✭✭✭titan18

You can’t say the GAA as a whole wasn’t complying. There’s two Cork clubs who made a fool of themselves. How is that the whole GAA?

It's a load of clubs. Dungarvan GAA club had a case at the weekend and had celebrations after winning. There's been loads over the past few weeks of clubs winning something and seeing the celebrations afterwards. I know of a Kerry club that after a game they lost back in August, had all crowded into the local pub. Social distancing went completely out the window. I'll imagine it's pretty much clubs in every county that have taken the piss.

Didn't mean it as whole gaa, generally more instances across the country of gaa not complying. Two more clubs than every other code in cork. Can't believe they were so stupid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,459 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Came across a big road bowling crowd weekend before last. I'd say I could count the number of masks being worn on 1 hand. Ah but shur tradition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

All club activity suspended by the GAA. Unfortunately what the two Cork club's did was been replicated in other areas around the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Humilde

Came across a big road bowling crowd weekend before last. I'd say I could count the number of masks being worn on 1 hand. Ah but shur tradition.

Tradition has long since been dumped in this country of extreme lefties. The D4 elite wouldn't know tradition if it bit them on their gucci trousers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,159 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

https://twitter.com/NeilRedFM/status/1312470830203326465

Stupid :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭cantalach

fin12 wrote: »
    I think it’s all got to do with that Tony Holihan, he arrives back on the scene and talk of us going all going to level 5. How it fair like a county like Sligo has to go on the same level 5 as a county like Dublin who’s cases are out of control.

The man is a nutcase.

Neither you nor I have a clue what we're talking about. We see only data in the public domain which is just a fraction of the data available to NPHET. And, in the most part, we see only lagging indicators.

So when we look at the incidence of COVID in Sligo and conclude that there is no problem up there, we are watching heavily edited highlights of a match played a week ago. NPHET are watching the game unfold live.

This is the danger with transparency when it comes to data. Every armchair expert thinks they know how to interpret it and make better public policy decisions than the people with all the data and the years of training and experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,276 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Am I reading that correctly in that the numbers present were with the regulations?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Passed road bowling in Crookstown last Sunday whatever about the numbers involved there was no social distancing whatsoever going on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭Trouser Snake

Wonder why Prenderville's autospell picked up on the "Gardia"?
    Gardia Civilia, Spanish civilian police maybe?

Humilde wrote: »
    Tradition has long since been dumped in this country of extreme lefties. The D4 elite wouldn't know tradition if it bit them on their gucci trousers.

The virus doesn't care what wing you are, right or left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,697 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I'm not a fan off GAA but I think it's a good thing for people to do the one thing I've to say tough is most of the stuff I've seen since they returned haven't been great.

Another thing I've seen badly done is funerals. People go to line the street or be outside the church. They then all stand on top of one another and few decide to pop into the church to say hello.

Am I reading that correctly in that the numbers present were with the regulations?

People have to bunch together to see what's happening on a narrow road don't they? Distancing would be impossible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Zardoz

It seems this move to Level 5 is primarily due to a shortage of ICU beds.
    The country only has 277 ICU beds, which is 5.5 per 100k of population .
    The European average is 11.5.

80% of this 277 capacity is normally filled with non Covid-19 patients so that only leaves 20% capacity and half that is currently filled.
    Sweden a country with a similar ratio before the pandemic, doubled their number of beds in 3 weeks.
    Ireland added an extra 25 beds in 7 months.
    Other wards are lying empty.

55 beds for Covid patients is simply not enough, lockdown or no lockdown because there are just too many stupid and selfish people out there who won't behave themselves.
    The incompetence beggars belief.

Zardoz wrote: »
    It seems this move to Level 5 is primarily due to a shortage of ICU beds...............

Indeed, last Wed

https://www.thejournal.ie/dublin-level-3-2-5218585-Sep2020/

Dr Ronan Glynn 'optimistic' about Dublin stabilising but 'no evidence yet' to move to Level 2

Numbers worsen a tad and Tony comes in recommending level 5 nationwide.

To be fair Paul Reid tweeted a balanced response but all these lads are working in the same circus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,276 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

People have to bunch together to see what's happening on a narrow road don't they? Distancing would be impossible.

Distancing is impossible anyway, any of the football matches I have been at all the crowd of unlimited spectators huddled together chatting as normal, it was all only window dressing for the first couple of games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Distancing is impossible anyway, any of the football matches I have been at all the crowd of unlimited spectators huddled together chatting as normal, it was all only window dressing for the first couple of games

Of course its possible to distance, people just don't care.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,603 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Truth is a major section of sod costs have given up.
    They want to treat covid as the flu, just let it run through society and accept the collateral deaths that follow. Most seem happy on the knowledge that it’s just old or sick people who will die so it’s “acceptable” sacrifice for society to make so they don’t have to wash their hands, wear a mask or miss a piss up in the pub.

• Advertisement

_Brian wrote: »
    ................ Most seem happy on the knowledge that it’s just old or sick people who will die so it’s “acceptable” sacrifice for society to make so they don’t have to wash their hands, wear a mask or miss a piss up in the pub.

I think many people aren't doing their bit.

For example, we had posters in this forum happily mentioning how they were in An Brog / Voodoo for hours on end and no food orders taken over the August bank holiday weekend.

Now I don't think they put 2 and 2 together and realise that their behaviour is dangerous to anyone though, to be fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

https://twitter.com/Philip_Ryan/status/1313127740736970753

That will be very good IF they enforce it. That is vital if we are to stay at 3 IMHO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,673 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Nationwide Level 3 it is

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

Nationwide Level 3 it is

Doesn’t really make sense to me that Dublin is level 3 and areas like a Kerry (rural areas) are also level 3....Anyway not easy decision I’d imagine...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Doesn’t really make sense to me that Dublin is level 3 and areas like a Kerry (rural areas) are also level 3....Anyway not easy decision I’d imagine...

Mayo has the lowest incidence in the country and Donegal the highest, yet both counties will now be at the same level. Very unfair.

Ludo wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/Philip_Ryan/status/1313127740736970753

That will be very good IF they enforce it. That is vital if we are to stay at 3 IMHO.

Yes stricter enforcement on large gatherings and house parties is needed

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭sphinxicus

Ludo wrote: »

I think that's the nail on the head right there. There is no point moving up any levels if the majority of the public won't bother adhering to the restrictions.

Back in March/April, this was all new and people were scared enough to keep to the restrictions laid out by the govt.

Now there is far too much apathy and people have (in their own selfish minds) decided, "I'm alright Jack" and go and do as they please, vulnerable people be damned. They continue to do so because there is no enforcement and therefore why should they inconvenience themselves by limiting social interactions/wearing a mask etc if there is no direct/immediate consequences to them personally...

We could probably have all stayed in Level 2 if people had all done their bit.

Level 2 or Level 5. It makes no difference without compliance and right now the Irish public seem to have little appetite to comply therefore rather than the "carrot of fear" making people comply, the "stick of enforcement" should be put into play

To the pub!

Really makes no difference, 3 or 5 they are damned for it now. Mixed messaging is going to cost them big time.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

How does this affect restaurants? The government website just says "additional restrictions for indoor dining". What form will this take, less seats? And hotels are now only allowed serve residents is it? There isn't a lot of people staycationing at the moment so they won't have that many to serve.

• Advertisement

I think indoor eating is not allowed now

Advertisement