Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Zardoz wrote: »
    Any logical explanation why the number of cases in Cork has skyrocketed in recent weeks after being so low for most of the previous 6 months.
    Is it primarily due to the schools reopening ?

Dept of Education are saying there has been no increase in the number of cases among school going children since schools opened. The positivity rate among children is also lower than the general population.

I would say it’s more to do with people getting complacent and increasing their social contacts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭cantalach

Close the schools.

Pubs first surely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,156 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

cantalach wrote: »
    Pubs first surely.

Is there many still open that can allow 15 outside?

spookwoman wrote: »
    Latest HSE op report

Hospitalised 187 (+16)
    ICU 31 (+4)
    ICU Deaths 2
    Ventilated 18 (+1)

https://www.hse.ie/eng/services/news/newsfeatures/covid19-updates/covid-19-daily-operations-update-2000-09-october-2020.pdf

Maybe ACE has Cork hospitals data please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,697 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Fota Christmas experience has been cancelled!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,673 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

11 in CUH
    4 in Mercy

0 in critical care

Fota Christmas experience has been cancelled!

Good, waste of money imho

I've heard that the majority of CUH cases are actually hospital caught, there appears to be some sort of small outbreak

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I wouldn't go talking about Cork in the main thread, the usuals are in to shout at us again.

In the covid forum is it?

In the covid forum is it?
    Yep. If you mention Cork you will get hounded.
    I mentioned Meath and Kerry's numbers today and got scolded for ignoring how awful Cork was :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Not quite Cork Related but I am from Cork so! Sisters boyfriend has tested positive so realistically she has it now too, both in Dublin. Wanted to come down on Tuesday and move home incase of a level 5, thank god my parents refused!(Sounds bad but they have been totally following restrictions entire time, they aren't bad people!! Constantly cleaning everything and he is a case of community transmission, no idea where he got it.) They are self isolating now but it definitely becomes more real when you have a family member affected. Lots of stress in this household today.

Just shows though, you can follow everything to a T and still get it.

Not quite Cork Related but I am from Cork so! Sisters boyfriend has tested positive so realistically she has it now too, both in Dublin. Wanted to come down on Tuesday and move home incase of a level 5, thank god my parents refused!(Sounds bad but they have been totally following restrictions entire time, they aren't bad people!! Constantly cleaning everything and he is a case of community transmission, no idea where he got it.) They are self isolating now but it definitely becomes more real when you have a family member affected. Lots of stress in this household today.

I think many are more stressed out now than in March, take care, hope they recover fast and healthy

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Frightening stuff!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭Trouser Snake

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Good, waste of money imho

While I agree, the thought of explaining to kids why there's no visits to Santa is not one I'm looking forward to, when they all shut:-(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,101 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

! Sisters boyfriend has tested positive so realistically she has it now too, both in Dublin.

Not necessarily. Colleague of mine got it in April.
    He isolated, but not from his partner. She didn't get it - shared a bed and all.

Still, can't believe your sister planned on moving county in those circumstances.!

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭Icantthinkof1

While I agree, the thought of explaining to kids why there's no visits to Santa is not one I'm looking forward to, when they all shut:-(

We told our kids that we can’t visit Santa this year because of Covid.
    We’re also asking them to make their Santa lists early this year as all the elves have to socially distance in the workshop so only 1/2 of them can work at any one time so they have to start making the toys earlier this year (just in case there is another full lockdown)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

I think many are more stressed out now than in March, take care, hope they recover fast and healthy

Can recall the majority of cases been reported in March were in Dublin Kildare some counties had less than five or no cases at all. The virus is physically closer and that in itself is breeding fear for a lot of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭Icantthinkof1

Cape Clear wrote: »
    Can recall the majority of cases been reported in March were in Dublin Kildare some counties had less than five or no cases at all. The virus is physically closer and that in itself is breeding fear for a lot of people.

Think this is part of it. Back in the thick of it in March/ April I did not know of anyone with it- now I have heard of several cases on my doorstep practically which makes it all the scarier and more real

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,697 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I know a big enough social media star. She had a cough a while ago as did her kid. She insisted she didn’t have Covid tough and guess what. There school had cases shortly after.
    Another social media star sent her kid to school after him getting sick twice during the night.
    Then they wonder why it’s spreading.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,499 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

We’re also asking them to make their Santa lists early this year as all the elves have to socially distance in the workshop so only 1/2 of them can work at any one time so they have to start making the toys earlier this year (just in case there is another full lockdown)

We're doing the same, just to be safe. e.g Smyth's delivery service fell apart (edit: It's still down) when they announced level 3. I'm sure they'll expand their services, but it could be a sign of things to come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

We're doing the same, just to be safe. e.g Smyth's delivery service fell apart (edit: It's still down) when they announced level 3. I'm sure they'll expand their services, but it could be a sign of things to come.

I'd expect toy shops are better set up this time around. We used World of Wonder recently and couldn't complain. Things might take a bit longer but I don't think it's worth getting stressed over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

That’s so clever. Aww best of luck with the Santa shopping.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

so what a few less people -town has been packed all week bars are choc a bloc outside

no way are people more stressed out now in cork not a hope

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

mean gene wrote: »
    so what a few less people -town has been packed all week bars are choc a bloc outside

Not really, I was in town yday evening, town was pretty dead.

fin12 wrote: »
    Not really, I was in town yday evening, town was pretty dead.

i work in the city places were packed all day going up to 9pm

so what? its allowed.

im replying to a photo saying cork was empty thats all i dont give a fcuk if theres a million people walking around there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 874 ✭✭✭thejuggler

Passed Douglas farmers market earlier. Maybe 50% wearing masks. No social distancing. Looked like a super spreader event to rival the recent White House Rose Garden gathering. Lots of people ignoring restrictions.
    Level 4-5 required to protect people from themselves IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭TheChizler

thejuggler wrote: »
    Passed Douglas farmers market earlier. Maybe 50% wearing masks.
    Why would you expect them to?

I was there around 1 and remarked how spaced out separate groups were. Obviously there's a mix of behaviours.

Advertisement