Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 874 ✭✭✭thejuggler

TheChizler wrote: »
    Why would you expect them to?

I was there around 1 and remarked how spaced out separate groups were. Obviously there's a mix of behaviours.

If you have to ask that question you are part of the problem!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭TheChizler

thejuggler wrote: »
    If you have to ask that question you are part of the problem!
    Go on explain why you would expect more than 50% of people to do something that's not recommended, never mind mandatory, in an outdoor environment that experts agree has a very low risk of transmission?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

While I agree, the thought of explaining to kids why there's no visits to Santa is not one I'm looking forward to, when they all shut:-(

Even if they’re open it’s going to be a different experience. No sitting on Santa’s lap, Santa wearing a mask etc. I’d say we’ll give it a skip anyway but my son will only be just 3 so won’t know the difference I hope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,156 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

While I agree, the thought of explaining to kids why there's no visits to Santa is not one I'm looking forward to, when they all shut:-(

It will be virtual Santy if families are lucky to have somewhere to view or Santy from a far

Fota is a complete rip off what they charge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭Trouser Snake

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    It will be virtual Santy if families are lucky to have somewhere to view or Santy from a far

Fota is a complete rip off what they charge

We did it once, seriously over hyped and over priced. Leahy's for us since. Yeah, we'll have to adjust their expectations without ruining it, it'll be easy though.

• Advertisement

TheChizler wrote: »
    Go on explain why you would expect more than 50% of people to do something that's not recommended, never mind mandatory, in an outdoor environment that experts agree has a very low risk of transmission?

I happen to believe that in a retail environment like a ‘farmers market’ with a large number of retailer’s stalls and customers crammed together in a smallish space primarily selling food (often displayed unwrapped and unprotected on some stalls) that it would be common sense for stall holders and customers to mask up and practice social distancing. There was evidence of neither in place this morning for the majority . BTW I’m sure this happens in other markets too - just commenting on what I witnessed this morning. Maybe the space available is too limited for the number of traders?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭Harika

Outdoor, heavy wind and most of the food covered or prepackaged. Very low risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,608 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

I happen to believe that in a retail environment like a ‘farmers market’ with a large number of retailer’s stalls and customers crammed together in a smallish space primarily selling food (often displayed unwrapped and unprotected on some stalls) that it would be common sense for stall holders and customers to mask up and practice social distancing. There was evidence of neither in place this morning for the majority . BTW I’m sure this happens in other markets too - just commenting on what I witnessed this morning. Maybe the space available is too limited for the number of traders?

Is that belief based upon an Arts degree or a Fas course? Because people who study such diseases for a living disagree

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,673 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

112 in Cork today.

Is that belief based upon an Arts degree or a Fas course? Because people who study such diseases for a living disagree

Neither - just my opinion. I suspect with over a thousand cases today they will be shutting up shop for a while soon enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Level 42

Jesus wept

112 in Cork today.

It's a new plateau, keep all numbers under 150 until level 3 kicks in I'll be happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,608 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Neither - just my opinion. I suspect with over a thousand cases today they will be shutting up shop for a while soon enough.

Of all the areas where spread is likely to happen an outdoors farmers market is way down the list past things like, schools, workplaces, meat factories, transport, bars, restaurants, shared accommodation, nursing homes, hospitals, family gatherings etc etc etc all which share the common characteristic of being in
    Enclosed spaces.

If you believe outdoors things like this shouldn’t happen then advocate for the cessation of all the other things listed above first, where spread has, is and will continue to happen.

It's a new plateau, keep all numbers under 150 until level 3 kicks in I'll be happy.
    I'd tend to agree. I personally think the level 3 will be much more effective in Cork vs Dublin, due to the difference in things like density etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭deeperlearning

Forget the science. Let's all go with the juggler's beliefs!:rolleyes:

112 in Cork today.

:(

I hope we see some decrease soon

:(

I hope we see some decrease soon
    Not for at least a week, maybe more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,315 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Still seeing people in shops with no masks on and it tends to be middle aged men for the most part.

Not for at least a week, maybe more.

Dublin is still high and how many weeks of level 3 restrictions lockdown there?

It's depressing :(

I'd tend to agree. I personally think the level 3 will be much more effective in Cork vs Dublin, due to the difference in things like density etc.

Yeah there's good sense in that, the schools are still a negating factor in getting numbers down though. It's got to be a concerted effort, ie parents taking SD more serious.
    Today at GAA was disappointing, almost as if "the kids are mixing, so can we", yet the kids were in contained pods yet parents mingling willy nilly.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

schools have brought these numbers lot of people in denial about that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,275 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

mean gene wrote: »
    schools have brought these numbers lot of people in denial about that

The facts don't back that up, cases of course in schools, cases everywhere but I haven't seen clusters associated, no doubt there will be in time, could someone post a link to cork County cases by lea, I can't seem to find an up to date one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Not necessarily. Colleague of mine got it in April.
    He isolated, but not from his partner. She didn't get it - shared a bed and all.

Still, can't believe your sister planned on moving county in those circumstances.!

Covid is spread by just someone breathing. If they shared a bed, she definitely had it just didn't have symptoms.

I forget where we were with testing close contacts back in April. Were they being tested? Even if she got a test, it's a huge possiblity of it being a false negative.

If you're a close contact, presume you're positive and stop the spread.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Not necessarily. Colleague of mine got it in April.
    He isolated, but not from his partner. She didn't get it - shared a bed and all.

Still, can't believe your sister planned on moving county in those circumstances.!

Was more so an act of desperation then actually going to do it, more on the spot decision once she heard about level 5 incase it would extend to Christmas and wouldn't be able to see us. Thought won out though thankfully between them and my parents, they are people who follow restrictions besides that one moment of madness!

Good to know though about your collegeue, hopefully works out the same for her! Regardless, she's isolating for two weeks anyway just incase

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Looks like there are now 15 cases in CUH with one in ICU, five in the mercy with none in ICU (thankfully). Only 5 days ago there were 2 cases in CUH, and two days ago there were 7, 11 yesterday and 15 today.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Looks like there are now 15 cases in CUH with one in ICU, five in the mercy with none in ICU (thankfully). Only 5 days ago there were 2 cases in CUH, and two days ago there were 7, 11 yesterday and 15 today.

Huge increase in Cork.

Of those 15, 11 were diagnosed in hospital. It appears as if there is some sort of outbreak, to be honest.

The facts don't back that up, cases of course in schools, cases everywhere but I haven't seen clusters associated, no doubt there will be in time, could someone post a link to cork County cases by lea, I can't seem to find an up to date one.

St. Gabriel's special needs school had a cluster, 5 to 7 cases I believe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

St. Gabriel's special needs school had a cluster, 5 to 7 cases I believe

One school where I’d imagine COVID measure are even more difficult to enforce.

Dept of Education released these stats yesterday. https://amp.rte.ie/amp/1170464/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭leeside11

Just heard of a porter in CUH tested positive..

Advertisement