Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

173 in cork today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,673 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

COVID-19 14-day incidence rates per 100,000 population by Local Electoral Area (LEA), Cork 29/09/2020 to 12/10/2020

Bantry-West Cork - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 21, LEA rate per 100k pop: 93.6

Skibbereen-West Cork - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 33, LEA rate per 100k pop: 109

Macroom - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 38, LEA rate per 100k pop: 103.1

Kanturk - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 20, LEA rate per 100k pop: 80.2

Mallow - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 20, LEA rate per 100k pop: 68.6

Bandon-Kinsale - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 52, LEA rate per 100k pop: 139.5

Fermoy - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 56, LEA rate per 100k pop: 153.8

Midleton - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 56, LEA rate per 100k pop: 123.2

Cobh - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 48, LEA rate per 100k pop: 140.7

Carrigaline - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 61, LEA rate per 100k pop: 173.6

Cork City South East - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 99, LEA rate per 100k pop: 231.4

Cork City South West - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 119, LEA rate per 100k pop: 252.9

Cork City South Central - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 219, LEA rate per 100k pop: 566.4

Cork City North East - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 126, LEA rate per 100k pop: 298.8

Cork City North West - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 103, LEA rate per 100k pop: 256.3

As far as I can see, Cork City South Central is among the top 5 highest incidences in the whole country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

173 in cork today.

That’s some jump - not looking good is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,156 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

fin12 wrote: »
    Serious question:

How are they going to police the ban on house visits?

Like obviously a big group or party at a house is pretty obvious but what about 1 person just visiting?

Maybe fine the home owner, party starter etc., it's strict enforcement that is needed no matter what the level is, give the Gardai the power

Would have thought there would be some decrease by now, slight

• Advertisement

At least 10 days from start of restrictions before numbers reduce, in my best guess

I thought so too, Dublin still high :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Santy2015

Comfirms what I’ve seen and heard in Kanturk and Mallow!

Latest CUH report direct from the CEO

Total number of positive cases of COVID-19 identified in CUH in the past 24 hours - 3

Total number of inpatients cases of COVID-19 currently in CUH – 20

Total number of patients with a confirmed diagnosis of COVID -19 discharged from CUH in the last 24 hours. – 1

Total number of COVID-19 patients receiving ventilator support in CUH – 1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

As far as I can see, Cork City South Central is among the top 5 highest incidences in the whole country.

Not good.
    Level 4 wouldn’t surprise me & I’m not sure what difference it will make. Looks like we may have been a week or so late moving to Level 3.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Vieira82

H8GHOTI wrote: »
    Not good.
    Level 4 wouldn’t surprise me & I’m not sure what difference it will make. Looks like we may have been a week or so late moving to Level 3.

still remember those posts a few weeks ago screaming "lockdown Dublin" and no one doing nothing as the cases kept going up and up and now... here we are...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Latest CUH report direct from the CEO

Total number of positive cases of COVID-19 identified in CUH in the past 24 hours - 3

Total number of inpatients cases of COVID-19 currently in CUH – 20

Total number of patients with a confirmed diagnosis of COVID -19 discharged from CUH in the last 24 hours. – 1

Total number of COVID-19 patients receiving ventilator support in CUH – 1

Yet Irish Times says:

"Cork University Hospital, Letterkenny and Cavan hospitals exceeded their normal ICU capacity in recent days."

Is our ICU capacity that low?

CUH still at 20 Covid patients with 1 in ICU. Hopefully the outbreak has been contained

Mercy has had 2 more COVID patients, up to 7. 2 remain in ICU

How can ICU capacity in CUH be full with only one covid patient?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,167 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

igCorcaigh wrote: »

Beds are occupied by non-Covid patients(as they would frequently be pre-Covid)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,275 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

igCorcaigh wrote: »

I presume that you haven't been to an a+e department for many years, trolleys filling the corridors with people waiting for a bed to become available for days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,782 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Vieira82 wrote: »
    still remember those posts a few weeks ago screaming "lockdown Dublin" and no one doing nothing as the cases kept going up and up and now... here we are...

As soon as checkpoints were established around the Dublin borders there was uproar from people that wanted to enter Dublin. Same problem with the border counties, people travelling in to Northern Ireland to shop, booze, dine and have fun. From day one, it's people travelling in to hot areas and then out again. Not holiday home owners or indeed urban staycationers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,007 ✭✭✭✭titan18

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Maybe fine the home owner, party starter etc., it's strict enforcement that is needed no matter what the level is, give the Gardai the power

Ya, after a few examples being made too, it'd get under control. Largeish fine and throw their names on the local papers for shaming would reduce it a good bit

jojofizzio wrote: »
    Beds are occupied by non-Covid patients(as they would frequently be pre-Covid)

Which suggests ICU capacity is already breached on a regular basis if it only needs one extra to be full. What happens then?

So only 1 Covid ICU patient in CUH? I hope all the others discharged healthy none deceased

• Registered Users Posts: 20 crae

That might well have something to do with the willingness of Swedes to actually pay for services through taxation. Irish people don't like paying tax. ICU beds cost money.
    The last budget had no income tax increases but the amount of people howling that "the working man/woman wasn't given a break!", is unreal.

Am a Swede living in Ireland since way back, don’t know if individuals have a different willingness.
    I actually pay more (at least perceived) tax here in Ireland than I did in Sweden.
    Tax are differently gathered. So people don’t see it.

Sweden has more taxes in these graphs where they just show everything as bundle.
    But most tax will be corporate.
    Also slightly higher VAT.
    Alcohol tax is higher but with our government off license buying such huge stocks, much alcohol is actually cheaper in Sweden.
    I pay less for a Guinness in Sweden than here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

H8GHOTI wrote: »
    Not good.

Would the hotels stay open if we went to level 4 ? cause they are actually at level 4 now.

Some publican was on 96fm the other day and was asked what would happen if we went to level 4 and he said it would be the same for his business, said they are all ready operating at level 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

A lot of hotels are closing because it’s not financially viable for them to open even at current levels. A friend was due to stay in Fota this weekend and got a phone call today to say her booking was being cancelled as the hotel was closing.
    Have also heard that the Imperial Hotel is closed to guests (cafe with outdoor seating to remain open at the weekend).

It’s an absolute nightmare for an industry that’s already on its knees. I have another friend working in sales & marketing in another Cork hotel whose hours have been reduced to a 2.5 day week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

SusieBlue wrote: »
    A lot of hotels are closing because it’s not financially viable for them to open even at current levels. A friend was due to stay in Fota this weekend and got a phone call today to say her booking was being cancelled as the hotel was closing.
    Have also heard that the Imperial Hotel is closed to guests (cafe with outdoor seating to remain open at the weekend).

It’s an absolute nightmare for an industry that’s already on its knees. I have another friend working in sales & marketing in another Cork hotel whose hours have been reduced to a 2.5 day week.

Yes it’s definitely a nightmare but there are two hotels in the city that I think really stand out with the special offers they have on to get Cork people to stay in their hotels and that’s the Address formerly the ambassador and the metropole. Both are running very good overnight package.

The address seem to be booked out all over the bank holiday weekend with this special offer which is great for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,007 ✭✭✭✭titan18

fin12 wrote: »
    Would the hotels stay open if we went to level 4 ? cause they are actually at level 4 now.

Some publican was on 96fm the other day and was asked what would happen if we went to level 4 and he said it would be the same for his business, said they are all ready operating at level 4.

I'd say you'd get a full closure of pubs and restaurants with none of this outdoor stuff. It's not part of level 4 now but i'd easily see it happening coming into the bank holiday weekend.

Hotels are only meant to be open essential non-social and non-tourist purposes, so should be having less customers if they obey it.

CUH is apparently cancelling elective surgeries again to deal with covid-19. How this wasn't planned for back in the lull of the 4/5 months is beyond me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

Watch as hospitals and the government blame the state of the health system on the pandemic. Nothing about the fact it’s been in a terrible way for years and years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Level 5 for 6 weeks is latest NPHET recommendation apparently. Inevitible really.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Daisy03

Ludo wrote: »
    Level 5 for 6 weeks is latest NPHET recommendation apparently. Inevitible really.

I really wish the public only heard once a decision was made. It only causes speculation and panic. Tell us when a final decision is made.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Daisy03 wrote: »
    I really wish the public only heard once a decision was made. It only causes speculation and panic. Tell us when a final decision is made.

Agreed. Absolutely worthless "knowledge" for everyone apart from media outlets who need the clicks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Daisy03 wrote: »

I thought that was what is generally meant to happen , its leaked info time after time the last few weeks.

Advertisement