Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Daisy03 wrote: »
    I really wish the public only heard once a decision was made. It only causes speculation and panic. Tell us when a final decision is made.

One journo on Twitter (can't think of them immediately) says that MM is in Brussels today, so it is highly unlikely a Cabinet meeting will be convened. Even so, the advice needs to go through the levels of the decision tree, so a final call isn't likely before Mon or Tues.

So instead we have this hanging over us all weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Pen Rua wrote: »
    One journo on Twitter (can't think of them immediatedly) says that MM is in Brussels today, so it is highly unlikely a Cabinet meeting will be convened. Even so, the advice needs to go through the levels of the decision tree, so a final call isn't likely before Mon or Tues.

They have been doing this sh*t for weeks now. . Assholes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Pen Rua wrote: »
    One journo on Twitter (can't think of them immediately) says that MM is in Brussels today, so it is highly unlikely a Cabinet meeting will be convened. Even so, the advice needs to go through the levels of the decision tree, so a final call isn't likely before Mon or Tues.

Slight update to the foregoing.

https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/1317091878282665987?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

The leaks have to stop. I've no problem with level 5 apart from the 5km restriction. People going for a walk or exercise and not calling to shop outside 5km should not be stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭aisling86

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,007 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Jim Gazebo wrote: »
    The leaks have to stop. I've no problem with level 5 apart from the 5km restriction. People going for a walk or exercise and not calling to shop outside 5km should not be stopped.

Ya, I get the intention of it but if everywhere is fecked, it seems nonsensical to restrict movement like that. If its a case of there's one giant cluster in one area, then it makes sense to restrict in/out of that area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

titan18 wrote: »
    Ya, I get the intention of it but if everywhere is fecked, it seems nonsensical to restrict movement like that. If its a case of there's one giant cluster in one area, then it makes sense to restrict in/out of that area.

Similar to the green list for international travel. A lot of that didn’t make too much sense either.

Another idea would be to restrict movement in or out of good counties. Like Carlow. They’ve only about 5 cases a day. Leave them have bars/restaurants open but make sure they don't mix with the rest of us who are riddled with it. If we move to level 4 or 5, hardly fair on the people or businesses in those counties. The negative impact outweighs the little benefit of stopping the spread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,216 ✭✭✭Be right back

88 cases in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

88 cases, hopefully the start of the decline

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,156 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

254 in Dublin, 102 in Meath, 88 in Cork, 81 in Cavan, 75 in Galway

Good to see Cork decreasing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,237 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

88 is a drop from yesterday but it’s one day and one number. Let’s all hope that it’s the start of something but it may not be lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    88 is a drop from yesterday but it’s one day and one number. Let’s all hope that it’s the start of something but it may not be lads.

It’s like half yesterday’s numbers, let’s hope it’s the start of a downward trend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,237 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

leahyl wrote: »
    It’s like half yesterday’s numbers, let’s hope it’s the start of a downward trend

It is but if the number goes way back up tomorrow then today’s number isn’t worth much. I’m like everyone else I want this be over but the numbers are the numbers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Scumbags returning to the streets again, a lot more visible now that the place is getting quieter. Some rotten scumbag made a big show of coughing openly no attempt to cover his mouth and then having a right laugh with his friends. Then some pr*cks trying to sell sh*t approaching u with no mask on.

The streets of cork city

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    It is but if the number goes way back up tomorrow then today’s number isn’t worth much. I’m like everyone else I want this be over but the numbers are the numbers.

Oh yeah I know, was just making a general comment - probably shouldn’t have quoted you! I agree with what you’re saying though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭Trouser Snake

Where was that fin12?

fin12 wrote: »
    Scumbags returning to the streets again, a lot more visible now that the place is getting quieter. Some rotten scumbag made a big show of coughing openly no attempt to cover his mouth and then having a right laugh with his friends. Then some pr*cks trying to sell sh*t approaching u with no mask on.

The streets of cork city

The Gardai need to be strict with enforcement, high on the spot fines taken direct from pup, dole or wages etc.,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,673 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Not sure if this means testing is quiet or something but a friend of mine was designated a close contact this morning and has a test for tomorrow morning in Blackpool. Thought that was fairly good going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭.red.

Not sure if this means testing is quiet or something but a friend of mine was designated a close contact this morning and has a test for tomorrow morning in Blackpool. Thought that was fairly good going.

That's standard enough.
    I was told get a test at 0930, got a text with my appointment 15 mins later and had the test at 1645 that day.
    My issue was the 4 day wait for results!

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭Icantthinkof1

.red. wrote: »
    That's standard enough.
    I was told get a test at 0930, got a text with my appointment 15 mins later and had the test at 1645 that day.
    My issue was the 4 day wait for results!

Was just going to say the same test times are norm allocated within 24 hours

• Advertisement

CUH is apparently cancelling elective surgeries again to deal with covid-19. How this wasn't planned for back in the lull of the 4/5 months is beyond me.

I know someone who is having cancer surgery, shame if cancelled :(

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

Jesus that is awful! So sorry to hear that.
    Cancer services are definitely struggling- I found a lump and went to my GP.
    I have had several lumps investigated in the past and have always been seen by the breast clinic in CUH within one week of my gp’s referral or have received an appointment
    I was referred by my GP to the clinic 6 weeks ago and received a letter from a different clinic (The Orchard Centre) in the post today to say that I have been placed on a waiting list to be seen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,673 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,435 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

Surely that wouldnt be elective though? Big difference between elective and necessary. Hopefully all goes well though.

Also hope the lower figures today go some way to a continuing decrease in incident rate and doesnt shoot up constantly over next few days

Jesus that is awful! So sorry to hear that.
    Cancer services are definitely struggling- I found a lump and went to my GP.
    I have had several lumps investigated in the past and have always been seen by the breast clinic in CUH within one week of my gp’s referral or have received an appointment
    I was referred by my GP to the clinic 6 weeks ago and received a letter from a different clinic (The Orchard Centre) in the post today to say that I have been placed on a waiting list to be seen

I hope all goes well for you too

It's a very worrying time for cancer patients

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I cannot understand why services like cancer treatments are postponed.

The official line is that essential services are available. Yet i have heard of cases where delayed surgery has resulted in cancer prognosis gone to terminal for the sake of an operation.

This is surely wrong.

Can anyone explain this?

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    I cannot understand why services like cancer treatments are postponed.

The official line is that essential services are available. Yet i have heard of cases where delayed surgery has resulted in cancer prognosis gone to terminal for the sake of an operation.

This is surely wrong.

Can anyone explain this?

I think they’re still trying to catch up with the backlog of referrals prior to and during Covid and now the new referrals.
    I don’t envy their jobs they must be feeling quite overwhelmed and helpless with it all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭cantalach

Mushy wrote: »
    Surely that wouldnt be elective though? Big difference between elective and necessary. Hopefully all goes well though.

Some terms have a very different meaning when used in a medical context to when they are used in everyday speech. Any non-emergency surgery planned in advance is “elective” even if it is really important for the patient’s health. An even better example is “chronic” which Irish people in everyday speech people use to mean serious or bad, when the medical meaning is just long-term, ongoing, or recurring.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭sphinxicus

Confirmed COVID-19 case in Gaelscoil Charrig Uí Leighin. Unknown if staff or student at this point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,435 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

cantalach wrote: »
    Some terms have a very different meaning when used in a medical context to when they are used in everyday speech. Any non-emergency surgery planned in advance is “elective” even if it is really important for the patient’s health. An even better example is “chronic” which Irish people in everyday speech people use to mean serious or bad, when the medical meaning is just long-term, ongoing, or recurring.

Mad, I'd have said elective would be anything more chosen by a patient which wasnt necessary in the immediate short term. Cancelling any life threatening surgery as its deemed elective (from your definition), is horrible. Hete was I thinking people bemoaning cancelled elective surgery cos their botox appointment was delayed!

Advertisement