Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,673 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

23 patients in CUH with Covid, up two from yesterday. 2 in ICU in CUH, up one.

9 in the Mercy with Covid, 2 in ICU still.

CUH now has 3 Critical Care beds available, still 0 at the Mercy.

Quick question,

Does the South Infirmary handle any covid cases? Never really see it mentioned, does it have critical care beds? St Finbarrs I believe is just an elderly hospital correct?
    St Finbarrs had a load of COVID patients during the first wave but was never listed for some reason. No idea about the South.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,155 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Quick question,

Does the South Infirmary handle any covid cases? Never really see it mentioned, does it have critical care beds? St Finbarrs I believe is just an elderly hospital correct?

I think SIVH is just wards for patients after procedures, the A&E is closed

Bonds and Mater are private but has HSE taken them over for Covid?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

The 15 outside at pubs rule is another rule with no basis of reason. An arbitrary number chosen with no mention of venue size or any other variables.

Reardens and Dwyers had tables outside on Little Cross St which were 2m apart and completely exposed to the outdoors. There is next to zero risk of transmission between tables. There are other places with 4 tables in much smaller, enclosed spaces which have to abide by the same guidelines. Similar situation on Princes St, you could line the whole street with widely spaced tables and there would be no issue.

The upsurge in cases in Cork is not attributable to venues following the guidelines which actually prevent transmission of coronavirus while not following the 15 rule which has little scientific basis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

There seemed to be a lot of work going on yesterday resurfacing and expanding the overflow car park for St Finbarrs on the South Douglas Road yesterday. Hopefully not related to the testing centre being there or anything Covid related but just normal works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Quick question,

During the last lockdown the plan was to keep the South a Cv19 'free zone' and use it for various clinics (like the fracture clinic) that would normally happen in other hospitals. It worked but the knock on effect on elective surgeries and the usual clinics held there is still an issue. My June appt in the Diabetic clinic still hasn't been rescheduled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭Icantthinkof1

Excuse my ignorance here but would it not make more sense to allocate one hospital in each county as a designated Covid hospital/ treatment centre?!
    Was this not done with T.B. in Sarsfield Court back in the day?
    That way suspected or confirmed positive are sent directly to these hospitals leaving the remaining hospitals (relatively) Covid free?
    Also could they extend it further and have a testing and assessment unit also set up in the same unit/ building for those who are experiencing issues post Covid who may
    not require hospitalisation but would benefit from a medical assessment?
    God forbid I get Covid in the morning and am in dire straits my only option would be to present to my nearest hospital (in my case the CUH) and therefore potentially contaminate a major hospital when I could be just sent to hospital ‘x’ instead

ETA I acknowledge that it would be a lot of investment as there are currently 32 in Cork hospitals receiving medical care

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,155 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Is the old Erinville hospital being used for anything?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,550 ✭✭✭kub

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Is the old Erinville hospital being used for anything?

It was converted to offices years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

fin12 wrote: »

They need to make that carry on a criminal offence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,608 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

They need to make that carry on a criminal offence.

Unless your travel if golf and political dinner related.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,007 ✭✭✭✭titan18

marno21 wrote: »
    The 15 outside at pubs rule is another rule with no basis of reason. An arbitrary number chosen with no mention of venue size or any other variables.

Reardens and Dwyers had tables outside on Little Cross St which were 2m apart and completely exposed to the outdoors. There is next to zero risk of transmission between tables. There are other places with 4 tables in much smaller, enclosed spaces which have to abide by the same guidelines. Similar situation on Princes St, you could line the whole street with widely spaced tables and there would be no issue.

The upsurge in cases in Cork is not attributable to venues following the guidelines which actually prevent transmission of coronavirus while not following the 15 rule which has little scientific basis.

I'd agree but that number is the rule. When places and people break it, others walking along go well those people are breaking rules so i'll break rules. If everyone worked within the rules that are there, we'd be grand, but when people break the rules that make no sense, other start breaking the ones that do make sense and we go on and end up with further restrictions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭.red.

I love the headline.
    Going on holidays has nothing to do with him leading to massive infection rates. It's all about him being an idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Treehelpplease

.red. wrote: »
    I love the headline.
    Going on holidays has nothing to do with him leading to massive infection rates. It's all about him being an idiot.
    I think the point is if you're going on holiday dont be an idiot. Its probably just to get to others who are going on holiday who may be thinking "meh im not sick I'll just isolate for 2 or 3 days and it'll be fine"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭TheChizler

TBH we're well past the point of infection from holidays being the main problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭undertaker fan 88

2 classes in the holy cross school in mahon have cases

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Treehelpplease

TheChizler wrote: »
    TBH we're well past the point of infection from holidays being the main problem.
    Definitely but its good to focus on all areas of transmission. the more people are aware the better imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

I posted the article to show the amount of people one person can affect but some people can only seem to focus on him going on holiday for some reason even though it’s nothing new, assholes going on holidays not self isolate afterwards, has been going on since this thing started.

I posted the article to show the amount of people one person can affect
    Fair enough, I didn't get that from your post. I'm involved in an outbreak myself that started with a parent of a teacher who spread it to five colleagues and all of their families, around thirty people infected before anybody realised anyone was sick. School unit is shut down for now. Waiting to get a test myself cause I was in the same room as one of the colleagues 10 days ago. Just shows how quick things can spread even when everybody thinks they're doing things right.

For anyone interested all the people in the school were wearing visors only for fear of scaring the children.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭Icantthinkof1

Fair enough, I didn't get that from your post. I'm involved in an outbreak myself that started with a parent of a teacher who spread it to five colleagues and all of their families, around thirty people infected before anybody realised anyone was sick. School unit is shut down for now. Waiting to get a test myself cause I was in the same room as one of the colleagues 10 days ago. Just shows how quick things can spread even when everybody thinks they're doing things right.

For anyone interested all the people in the school were wearing visors only for fear of scaring the children.

Sorry to hear that hopefully you escaped it. I also hope all your colleagues recover. It struck me as sad and admirable that collectively as a workplace your first thoughts were for the children as you say you all wore visors so as to not to scare your pupils
    Plus it’s only recently enough that it’s been acknowledged that visors don’t offer sufficient protection so yee all did your best

• Advertisement

Sorry to hear that hopefully you escaped it. I also hope all your colleagues recover. It struck me as sad and admirable that collectively as a workplace your first thoughts were for the children as you say you all wore visors so as to not to scare your pupils
    Plus it’s only recently enough that it’s been acknowledged that visors don’t offer sufficient protection so yee all did your best
    I'm a technical close contact of one of the colleagues through family, I don't work there but appreciate your sentiments all the same! I agree it's nice that's where their hearts were but in actual fact we're all really annoyed at the school. Much better that the children have unease with masks than the school get shut down and dozens of people infected IMO. The school claimed at the start the pods or whatever a class is called would never mix, but we've since heard that SNAs moved between classrooms and classes mixed for PE, teachers mixed in the staff room. There are a lot of kids with special needs so I get addressing those issues isn't straightforware but there are lot of questions to be answered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,097 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

.red. wrote: »
    I love the headline.

A couple of idiots in his extended circle, too.
    One woman went to a party while awaiting test result!!! Really?

Unfortunately, if someone is stupid enough to behave like this man did, the chances are that a lot of their circle of family and friends will be equally stupid and behave in ways that enable the spread of the virus.
    A double whammy, really.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭rodders999

Our GP was being ultra cautious in sending my wife for a test after she was involved in a confrontation last week. No symptoms and not a close contact of a confirmed case but she was sent for a test due to the nature of the incident as a precaution anyway.

She got tested at 9:15am Saturday morning but still no results back. Whole family hunkered down at home since the test, kids off schools and myself not at work today. Crazy.

We really need a quicker turnaround on testing.

rodders999 wrote: »
    Our GP was being ultra cautious in sending my wife for a test after she was involved in a confrontation last week. No symptoms and not a close contact of a confirmed case but she was sent for a test due to the nature of the incident as a precaution anyway.

She got tested at 9:15am Saturday morning but still no results back. Whole family hunkered down at home since the test, kids off schools and myself not at work today. Crazy.

We really need a quicker turnaround on testing.

Ours came back much quicker - about 30 hours

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭rodders999

Ours came back much quicker - about 30 hours

Yeah I was pretty certain we’d hear something yesterday evening or this morning at the absolute latest but nothing yet.

Now starting to get concerned we won’t get anything back today and we’ll all be stuck in here again tomorrow.

rodders999 wrote: »
    Yeah I was pretty certain we’d hear something yesterday evening or this morning at the absolute latest but nothing yet.

Now starting to get concerned we won’t get anything back today and we’ll all be stuck in here again tomorrow.

It's a pain. I couldn't go to work Monday or Tuesday (got result Tuesday afternoon)and had to cancel another activity, too.
    Has to be done, though (we were very confident that it wasn't Covid but couldn't be 100% sure).

Friend of mine was tested 10am Saturday, no result yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭Trouser Snake

It's a pain. I couldn't go to work Monday or Tuesday (got result Tuesday afternoon)and had to cancel another activity, too.
    Has to be done, though (we were very confident that it wasn't Covid but couldn't be 100% sure).

Ditto, lost three days a few weeks back. Tested Monday, results Wednesday, house in isolation from schools and work. Won't be the last time this winter either I fear:-(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,167 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

Friend of mine was tested 10am Saturday, no result yet.

Because of the large increase in numbers tested over the last 10 days,it follows that the turnaround time for results increases also unfortunately

• Advertisement

jojofizzio wrote: »
    Because of the large increase in numbers tested over the last 10 days,it follows that the turnaround time for results increases also unfortunately
    I know someone tested at midday Saturday who had their result last night.

Advertisement