Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Name of Bar 1990s

Options
  • 07-03-2020 12:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭

I'm trying to think of a name of a bar we went to in the early 90s. It was a major rundown place. All concrete inside. No bannister on steps to the toilet.

I think it was run by a school teacher. You could buy flagans of cider there.

I have liberties in my head, but not sure. Any idea lads?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭Ladybird18

YFlyer wrote: »
    I'm trying to think of a name of a bar we went to in the early 90s. It was a major rundown place. All concrete inside. No bannister on steps to the toilet.

I think it was run by a school teacher. You could buy flagans of cider there.

I have liberties in my head, but not sure. Any idea lads?

The lobby/ the pheonix/ snotty Joes?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Ladybird18 wrote: »

I don't think it's any of those. It was close to Gorbys. If you didn't finish the cider, you could mark it put it behind the counter and pick it up the next night you're in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Heckler

Yup. The Liberty. Run by Mick the schoolteacher. Sold flaggons of cider

Fantastic bar in the day if you were a bit alternative. Sadly in its dying breaths he introduced a ****ing TV and a lot of wannabe posh guys and girls who wanted to slum it came in. The glory days were the Lib and then onto Henrys.

Heckler wrote: »
    Yup. The Liberty. Run by Mick the schoolteacher. Sold flaggons of cider

Thanks Heckler. We came down from Limerick in 92 for the Jazz festival. Mad joint indeed.

• Advertisement

Fantastic bar in the day if you were a bit alternative. Sadly in its dying breaths he introduced a ****ing TV and a lot of wannabe posh guys and girls who wanted to slum it came in. The glory days were the Lib and then onto Henrys.

Yes Sir Henry a great spot. Remember the Power of Dreams.

YFlyer wrote: »
    Yes Sir Henry a great spot. Remember the Power of Dreams.

I remember POD sure (100 ways to kill a love !),not sure if I was at any of their Henrys gigs though. Was the heyday of a lot of irish bands. A staple used to be the Golden Horde in Henrys supported by the Sultans. The Damned, Sonic Youth (supported by Nirvana !) all played there. Missed them too.

Fridays and sometimes Wednesdays in Henrys, Freakscene etc. Saturday was left to the ravers.

Happy feckin' days.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I remember POD sure (100 ways to kill a love !),not sure if I was at any of their Henrys gigs though. Was the heyday of a lot of irish bands. A staple used to be the Golden Horde in Henrys supported by the Sultans. The Damned, Sonic Youth (supported by Nirvana !) all played there. Missed them too.

Fridays and sometimes Wednesdays in Henrys, Freakscene etc. Saturday was left to the ravers.

Happy feckin' days.

Saturdays, you went to Roxanne's in the Savoy or, a little later to The Village, underneath Sir Henry's.
    I remember Alice Donut and Mercury Rev playing there one summer. There was an early Stereolab gig there, and a very young Ash played there a couple of times.

The whole scene was very split along Indie/dance lines back then.

The Liberty Bar belonged to the Indie kids, the punks and the hardcore kids!

The ravers had The Donkey's Ears.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭davidglanza

Sir henrys loved the place
    My joe bloggs jeans and my naff naff jacket..lol

• Registered Users Posts: 8,691 ✭✭✭corks finest

Ladybird18 wrote: »

Mad Jack's?

• Advertisement

Happy feckin' days.

Saw the Golden Horde a few locations around Ireland. Their song Hundred Days. Pissed off the singer of Sultan of Ping FC at Speakeasy in Limerick to sing Turnip Fish. He said we have moved on from that song...lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

For me, the real glory days were The Liberty and then on to Spiders! Although, I do have lots of happy Sir Henrys memories too. In particular, Blue In Heaven played several great gigs there and Billy Bragg played a surprise gig to about 20 patrons one night. Also, The Village had a great DJ on Saturday nights (DJ Batbet) and you could sneak into Sweat (rave music) upstairs afterwards, if you fancied something completely different!

Advertisement