Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vet duty of care

• 07-03-2020 11:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

nicnac wrote: »
    If a dog is presented at a vets with incontinence issues, drinking more and having accidents... the vet should do a blood test at the very least...right?

It depends some vets try antibiotics etc first then testing depends on health / age of the dog .. slow onset or sudden etc..

BUT as the owner I’d insist on bloods / urine testing straight off but I’m a little OTT when it comes to my dogs health

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I think it depends on the owner, the vet and their relationship. I've taken samples to the vet and asked for bloods when I thought something was wrong in the past. On the other hand I'd be fairly certain that other people wouldn't think of taking a sample along. I have a good relationship with everyone at our vets as we're there every week so they trust my judgement and I trust theirs so they know if I'm worried it's for good reason!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 478 ✭✭Duvetdays

Our now past 15year old westie was at the vet fairly frequently for age related issues. She started drinking a huge amount and had the odd accident. Luckily our vet took it seriously and started a series of tests to find the cause. She had urine and blood samples to rule out a list of causes diabetes being one of them. In the end she was diagnosed with Cushings disease. It’s really not a nice disease to see your beloved pet get and unfortunately for us she was put to sleep not even a month after diagnosis.

Hopefully it isn’t anything serious but I would be pressing the vet to carry out tests to get to the bottom of what’s causing it.

Advertisement