Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limit internet use based on MAC Address

Options
  • 07-03-2020 11:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 40

I'm sure I'm like many parents who need to limit the kids access to the internet by adding rules based on MAC address to the router.

I have a standard Vodafone router (HG 658c) and have tried adding rules via the router, however it's not that reliable.

In short I need to limit my teenage kid's iphone use whilst they are doing homework. As they use ipads at school I want to be able to restrict their iphone access to the router from say 6pm-8pm however they'll still need access to the router to use their ipad.

In summary is there any S/W out there that will help me do this where I limit device X between a time slot based on MAC address.

Any suggestions would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Software? No. You'll have to replace the router with something 3rd party.

I'm sure I'm like many parents who need to limit the kids access to the internet by adding rules based on MAC address to the router.

I have a standard Vodafone router (HG 658c) and have tried adding rules via the router, however it's not that reliable.

In short I need to limit my teenage kid's iphone use whilst they are doing homework. As they use ipads at school I want to be able to restrict their iphone access to the router from say 6pm-8pm however they'll still need access to the router to use their ipad.

In summary is there any S/W out there that will help me do this where I limit device X between a time slot based on MAC address.

Not software, but lots of routers have that exact same functionality.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Not software, but lots of routers have that exact same functionality.

It will take kids all of 5 mins to change Mac addr. Good training for future career.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭Damien360

We use a third party router. Netgear R7000. It has a nice app that works with Apple and Android. You can block devices using the app. The drawback is if they are using a PC, it is very easy to circumvent with a MAC address change. We set up a daily schedule (very basic) with internet off during certain times of the day. The entire house is offline. That can’t be circumvented without the passwords to the router (change from default if you decide to do this).

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Surely easier to just take their phones off them while they're doing homework?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,802 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Plus they could just use a mobile hotspot to circumvent it.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,057 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Put parental controls onto the devices. You should have that anyway.

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭65535

Advertisement