Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corona virus and social protection

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭thesultan

I sent off my form on Thursday. Nothing yet in my account. Does anyone know when the transaction will take place?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

AdrianG08 wrote: »
    big difference in rates.

The 350 is effectively for people who temporarily lost their job *solely* because of the global pandemic

No there’s some anomalies but I think there’s a justification on this payment being different to standard job losses that happen all the time

And again, it’s designed to be a temporary payment. They won’t be paying people 350 indefinitely. When shops, pubs and hotels etc open back up the majority will go back to their jobs

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

Dodge wrote: »
    The 350 is effectively for people who temporarily lost their job *solely* because of the global pandemic

No there’s some anomalies but I think there’s a justification on this payment being different to standard job losses that happen all the time

And again, it’s designed to be a temporary payment. They won’t be paying people 350 indefinitely. When shops, pubs and hotels etc open back up the majority will go back to their jobs

Its a huge assumption people will go back to their jobs. As it stands, some job seekers earn 350euro indefinitely and others with requisite tax contributions earn €203.

Im not buying the "raft of services" we had to avail of either. Rent allowance, dependent child payment etc...

People literally let go before this was announced may not be eligible for add on services that the extra €150 is to cover.

Not everyone on jobseekers is renting, I myself have a mortgage, company downsized and was let go in late February. Literally 1 month ago. Say u are let go now for non-covid reasons, in theory you cannot claim 350euro, but justification of extra amount is to cover services that cannot be provided now.

Its BS.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Its a huge assumption people will go back to their jobs. As it stands, some job seekers earn 350euro indefinitely and others with requisite tax contributions earn €203.

it is not indefinitely

This payment is temporary

I’m sorry you lost your job and wish you well.

Dodge wrote: »
    it is not indefinitely

This payment is temporary

I’m sorry you lost your job and wish you well.

Its 12 weeks with possibility of extension surely.

difference is over 2k in that period. Cheers appreciate the sentiment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭monty_python

thesultan wrote: »
    I sent off my form on Thursday. Nothing yet in my account. Does anyone know when the transaction will take place?

Sent mine of wensday last week and nothing yet. I hope we get it by Friday

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Lucky2Day

Hi

I am a Proprietary Director of a Limited Company. I pay myself through the company via the PAYE system. Because a Coronavirus I have lost half or my business, I am still working reduced hours but will not be able to pay myself my normal wage.

Does anyone know whether I could Claim the Temporary Wage Subsidy to "top up" my wage to the normal amount or would I be eligible for the Pandemic Unemployment Benefit ? I don't think that I would be eligible for the 2nd as I am still working but the alternative seems to be the Short Hours Jobseekers payment but I am not sure that I would be eligible for that either.

Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭camz09

Quick question for anyone who's filled up the Jobseeker's Benefit form (UP1) and was laid off temporarily due to COVID-19 safety measures.

What did you write for Part 5 about looking for work and availability?? I'm not really making an "effort" to find work since we're only temporarily laid off, not unemployed. Would N/A be acceptable and just write a note on the space for explanation?

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭oopsies

Has it been confirmed that this is a flat rate to everyone regardless of days or hours previously worked? I worked a 4 day week and my partner does 20hrs over 5 days. Both temp laid off

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Curlysue76

camz09 wrote: »
    Quick question for anyone who's filled up the Jobseeker's Benefit form (UP1) and was laid off temporarily due to COVID-19 safety measures.

What did you write for Part 5 about looking for work and availability?? I'm not really making an "effort" to find work since we're only temporarily laid off, not unemployed. Would N/A be acceptable and just write a note on the space for explanation?

I left that part empty. I doubt they’re expecting everyone to be looking for work atm. I have a full-time job and fully expect to be returning to it after this is over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

So has anyone actually received a payment yet? I dropped my form off last Thursday and now getting €350 p/w rather than the €203 will be a huge help. This is obviously a temporary thing for everyone, I cannot wait to get back to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Its 12 weeks with possibility of extension surely.

difference is over 2k in that period. Cheers appreciate the sentiment.

I can assure you that it will be 16 weeks tops.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

oopsies wrote: »
    Has it been confirmed that this is a flat rate to everyone regardless of days or hours previously worked? I worked a 4 day week and my partner does 20hrs over 5 days. Both temp laid off

Flat rate for everyone so if you work 20hrs or 40hrs no difference once you pay PAYE

splinter65 wrote: »
    I can assure you that it will be 16 weeks tops.

I'm guessing a lot of places will be back open by then..... Hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

If they are it will be miraculous. September is best case scenerio imo and only if we adopt an actual lock down and not the half arsed rubbish we are witnessing at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Wanderer19

Lucky2Day wrote: »
    Hi

I am a Proprietary Director of a Limited Company. I pay myself through the company via the PAYE system. Because a Coronavirus I have lost half or my business, I am still working reduced hours but will not be able to pay myself my normal wage.

Does anyone know whether I could Claim the Temporary Wage Subsidy to "top up" my wage to the normal amount or would I be eligible for the Pandemic Unemployment Benefit ? I don't think that I would be eligible for the 2nd as I am still working but the alternative seems to be the Short Hours Jobseekers payment but I am not sure that I would be eligible for that either.

Regards
    Yes, you can claim the 'top up', but it's for all staff, not just yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

If they’re not open then the payment will revert back to €203 + means tested dependents.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 KG1978

We are on a JSB claim because of covid19 is the first 3 days still waiting days . Tanx.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

BanditLuke wrote: »
    If they are it will be miraculous. September is best case scenerio imo and only if we adopt an actual lock down and not the half arsed rubbish we are witnessing at present.

We can reopen far sooner than that once PPE production ramps up.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 amc19

Everyone can argue about the €350 a week but until they actually give out the first amount €203 then there is no point in them announcing new measures ...

Family with 2 kids at home , 3 jobs lost in 24 hours a few weeks ago , applied for the EMERGENCY payment 10 days ago and nothing...

First time in life being on effectively the dole and wouldn’t have applied only it’s an EMERGENCY....

They havnt paid the first payment to over half the people that applied yet and there announcing new measures 🀬

People are in desperate need of this payment , no communication on the matter either,

And for the people giving out about the amount I can assure you that for 99% of the population €350 a week (although a great help) will not cover bulls and basics so stop giving out just because your situation doesn’t need that amount doesn’t mean others don’t!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Kaldo

Hi guys,

My company just communicated to me that the business will remain close till further notice.

Regarding to the payment, is it independent to the contributions you made? Is a payment that it might be discounted in the future if you actually become unemployed?

Thanks
    Kaldo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

amc19 wrote: »
    Everyone can argue about the €350 a week but until they actually give out the first amount €203 then there is no point in them announcing new measures ...

Family with 2 kids at home , 3 jobs lost in 24 hours a few weeks ago , applied for the EMERGENCY payment 10 days ago and nothing...

First time in life being on effectively the dole and wouldn’t have applied only it’s an EMERGENCY....

They havnt paid the first payment to over half the people that applied yet and there announcing new measures 🀬

People are in desperate need of this payment , no communication on the matter either,

And for the people giving out about the amount I can assure you that for 99% of the population €350 a week (although a great help) will not cover bulls and basics so stop giving out just because your situation doesn’t need that amount doesn’t mean others don’t!

Get in contact with your Community Welfare Officer if you are stuck. They will help you out with a payment until the money comes through.
    I haven't received any payment either. Yet the two girls I work with have and they applied after me. I might go back down tomorrow if I still receive nothing.

amc19 wrote: »

Very sorry to hear about your situation and hope you get sorted.

Nobody says their situation doesnt need that amount. On the contrary, everyone needs it no less people let go just before this happened. If you lost your job at end of Feb you still only get 203euro. So you may be in better spot than some people who need to cover bills and mortgage on that amount.

Justification for the extra amount is that people didnt have time to avail of ancillary services (HAP medical card etc.) But Eoghan Murphy expects assistance to be given to those in rent arrears in due course.

My company reduced my hours spread over 5 days,Mon to Fri and so I thought they would avail of this scheme where the government pays 70% of my wages which would bring my rate back up to full wage. They say the business hasn’t dropped by the 25% threshold, which it obviously has,so won’t pay it, which means I have to work less than 300 a week, is this fair!
    I want to work but if I take the temp lay off I will get the full 350 for sitting at home!

I just wish they would announce when payments will be received, any sort of correspondence would be helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭beautyqueen

I just wish they would announce when payments will be received, any sort of correspondence would be helpful.

Agreed, especially as a lot of people posted and dropped the form into the letterbox.
    People are worried they didn't fill them in correctly or the office didn't receive them/mislaid them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 EoMee

Hi, looking for some advice.

I moved to Canada about 5 weeks ago, on the two year working holiday visa. I returned to Ireland this week, as I only had part time work and I didn't want to be stuck there without money during a lock-down.

Before I went to Canada I left my full-time job.

Am I entitled to Job Seekers immediately, Or what benefits can I avail of?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

They go out Friday so you should have them by Monday, Tuesday at the latest.

The department is flat out, they have received 50 times their normal number of applications so they are prioritising processing claims, not communications.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Wanderer19

EoMee wrote: »
    Hi, looking for some advice.

I moved to Canada about 5 weeks ago, on the two year working holiday visa. I returned to Ireland this week, as I only had part time work and I didn't want to be stuck there without money during a lock-down.

Before I went to Canada I left my full-time job.

Am I entitled to Job Seekers immediately, Or what benefits can I avail of?
    You left your job, voluntarily, generally speaking, you wouldn't be entitled to anything straightaway. What would happen is you apply for JSB/JSA and it can take 13 weeks to process your application, you may then be called for an interview and means tested.

Because of the current situation only people who were in employment and had their work decreased or been laid off can claim the emergency payment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭angela1711

Can i apply for this payment if I am still working but only a few hours a week from home so my wages have dropped drastically I am pretty much on nothing now? Like I am thinking I will be better of asking for a lay off rather then working these few hours a week.

Advertisement