Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corona virus and social protection

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,254 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

My sons college friends are all getting €350 a week but only worked weekends in restaurants/shops etc.., the payment of €350 is open to everyone who lost any type of work be it part time or full time.
    As for tax you dont pay tax on €350 (PAYE)anyway, you do pay USC,don't think anyone will ever pay tax on it.
    There are some very happy students abouts, and good luck to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

People shouldn’t benefit from the payment, it should’ve been means tested based on your payslips.

And when exactly would all the paper work be done ready for the payment to be made next year?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

People shouldn’t benefit from the payment, it should’ve been means tested based on your payslips.

Are you mad? 100,000s of people let go with no notice and all need a payment in an emergency and you want SW to start means testing them all? How long was that going to take?You need to get with the real world, honestly.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Just Saying

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    My sons college friends are all getting €350 a week but only worked weekends in restaurants/shops etc.., the payment of €350 is open to everyone who lost any type of work be it part time or full time.
    As for tax you dont pay tax on €350 (PAYE)anyway, you do pay USC,don't think anyone will ever pay tax on it.
    There are some very happy students abouts, and good luck to them.

Any underpayment apparently will be dealt with by reduction of future tax credits.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

So my daughter was made redundant the other week due to Covid 19. A day or two later the announcement came out about the payment and they said they'd sort that. Then the rules changed and her company have said that since she started after the 29th February, she has to apply directly. She went to do that today but it then asks her to apply for Jobseekers. She done that and it told her she can't apply for that because she has a child. She can't apply for jobseekers transition because her shild is too young, and she can't apply for the One Parent Family online as far as we can tell. She also technically doesn't fit the requirements because she had a job when her child was born so can't apply for that (according to their website). Also while not in a relationship with the Dad, he does contribute to bills related to the child, food, clothes etc but there is no formal agreement in place

Does she just wait for the Covid 19 person to come back in the next 7 days and inform them about it, or does she have to send in the one parent family form now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Just Saying

See its really confusing hence my question.

Example:
    If your employer claims for you (which most are told to do) then they can only claim for 70% of the net pay of each employee - up to a max of €350.
    Most low paid and part time won't get near that figure.

If that same employee tells their employer not to claim for them, but claim for themselves they they get €350.

See the problem here?

There are obviously issues.

I would imagine over the next few weeks many of them will be ironed out but some won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Steviesol

Is this being backdated to 14th March ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,254 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

CramCycle wrote: »
    So my daughter was made redundant the other week due to Covid 19. A day or two later the announcement came out about the payment and they said they'd sort that. Then the rules changed and her company have said that since she started after the 29th February, she has to apply directly. She went to do that today but it then asks her to apply for Jobseekers. She done that and it told her she can't apply for that because she has a child. She can't apply for jobseekers transition because her shild is too young, and she can't apply for the One Parent Family online as far as we can tell. She also technically doesn't fit the requirements because she had a job when her child was born so can't apply for that (according to their website). Also while not in a relationship with the Dad, he does contribute to bills related to the child, food, clothes etc but there is no formal agreement in place

Does she just wait for the Covid 19 person to come back in the next 7 days and inform them about it, or does she have to send in the one parent family form now?

You have just cleared up something for me, my boss told me he cant directly pay me because of the change on the 29th, was not sure if he was right, why don't she just put a claim on line for the emergency payment as she was laid of because of the covd19 effect?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    You have just cleared up something for me, my boss told me he cant directly pay me because of the change on the 29th, was not sure if he was right, why don't she just put a claim on line for the emergency payment as she was laid of because of the covd19 effect?

She did, when she completed it, she was told you need to apply for Jobseekers. Done this and she was deemed ineligible because she is too young and has a young kid. I presume she will have to send in a one parent family form but it's sh1tty that they imply young people can't have kids and be employed. It was as if the wording on the site was written for a stereotype.

It is pro rata so anyone who works say 3 days a week will get percentage of the 350. I assume money will be taken back in deductions once government get a handle on each case way down the line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

splinter65 wrote: »
    And no, it won’t be taxable.

Weeeeellll.......... Not directly. But the money is coming from somewhere and will need to be paid back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

Any underpayment apparently will be dealt with by reduction of future tax credits.

Alot of underpayments in PAYE are dealt with by reducing tax credits in future year(s)

It is pro rata so anyone who works say 3 days a week will get percentage of the 350. I assume money will be taken back in deductions once government get a handle on each case way down the line.

Again there arent enough resources to trawl through each person, payments received, cross check against employment income etc. Plus youd have to administer the collection, deal with correspondence, complaints, PQs...

Its a blanket payment made and claimed in good faith. Only those caught openly abusing/falsely claiming may have to worry

• Registered Users Posts: 6,083 ✭✭✭Chesty08

Does anyone know if accepting the Covid-19 will affect any future benefits like Maternity benefits in say less than 12 months.

For example a self employed person meeting the €500 tax requirement but won’t meet that with these few weeks without work & accepts the Covid-19. What happens in this scenario

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭tina1040

Ninthlife wrote: »
    Again there arent enough resources to trawl through each person, payments received, cross check against employment income etc. Plus youd have to administer the collection, deal with correspondence, complaints, PQs...

Its a blanket payment made and claimed in good faith. Only those caught openly abusing/falsely claiming may have to worry

Claiming the payment when you earn less than 350 is not abusing or falsely claiming as it's either claim or get nothing when your employer has temporarily closed down.

Chesty08 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if accepting the Covid-19 will affect any future benefits like Maternity benefits in say less than 12 months.

For example a self employed person meeting the €500 tax requirement but won’t meet that with these few weeks without work & accepts the Covid-19. What happens in this scenario

To be honest no one knows but given its an emergency payment I could not see it being used to calculate or determine future claims or entitlement to them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭nothing

What am I missing here?

Just been told by a parent that her daughter who goes to college and has a weekend job has got the €350 payment.

She never earned €350 a week!?!?

Is the payment just sent to all applicants regardless?

Once the payment runs out (they've said 12 weeks I think), a student isn't entitled to anything else as they cannot claim regular jobseekers. This will help in cases where there may be no job to go back to

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭tina1040

Where does it say it's pro rata? It's a fixed emergency payment for up to 12 weeks by the end of which, the employee should either be back to their job or gone onto JSB/JSA.

tina1040 wrote: »
    Claiming the payment when you earn less than 350 is not abusing or falsely claiming as it's either claim or get nothing when your employer has temporarily closed down.

I wasnt referring to those earning less than 350 as falsely claiming

There are people who have never worked trying to claim it. Anyone who was working and let go due to the current events is entitled to claim

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

What has she done wrong exactly? The government decided that during this emergency anyone who lost their job due to the virus is entitled to €350. Anyone, regardless of days/hours/rate of pay, who was working on 13 March. So she’s entitled. And no, it won’t be taxable. Wind your necks in.

Pretty sure that like most SW payments it will be taxable if your income for 2020 exceeds certain limits.

• Advertisement

Weeeeellll.......... Not directly. But the money is coming from somewhere and will need to be paid back.

Yes this is true. And we will be paying it for the rest of my life and my daughters life. The bill so far stands at 7+billion.

Spook_ie wrote: »
    Pretty sure that like most SW payments it will be taxable if your income for 2020 exceeds certain limits.

These particular SW payments are not taxable. Not all SW payments are. You can look it up on the Citizensinformation website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Yes this is true. And we will be paying it for the rest of my life and my daughters life. The bill so far stands at 7+billion.

What was the alternative?

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭EriktheRed

What has she done wrong exactly? The government decided that during this emergency anyone who lost their job due to the virus is entitled to €350. Anyone, regardless of days/hours/rate of pay, who was working on 13 March. So she’s entitled. And no, it won’t be taxable. Wind your necks in.

Sorry, you are right. Jumped into stupid conclusion too quickly.
    It says it's for students too, who lost their job be it full or part time. She could needing it as everyone else.
    Apologies for hasty comment.

None of this is true. You’ve just made this up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭torrevieja

I wonder would applying countless times have messed up your initial application ie superseding it each time?

Well if they keep telling you to reapply that they havent recieved it, hardly your fault then if there finding dupilcates

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

How have you managed to get it so wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Chesty08 wrote: »

Most benefits are based on your previous years records and contributions, for self employed they will be looking at 2018s figures ( the last full year as 2019s returns are not due until Oct 31st. )

I should think when you do your return for 2020 will be when you declare for CoVid19 payments, but that could be changed if government finances have a black hole in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

torrevieja wrote: »
    Well if they keep telling you to reapply that they havent recieved it, hardly your fault then if there finding dupilcates

How are you applying? I would strongly suspect some detail (ppsn) is wrong if they can't find the application.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

I would imagine the reason for giving a flat rate payment of €350 was because they know people who aren't used to earning this much will most likely see it as "easy come easy go" and the money will quickly go back into the economy and stimulate it when others aren't likely to be spending as much as usual.

Advertisement