Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corona virus and social protection

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

tuxy wrote: »
    What was the alternative?

There was and is no alternative. But long after we’ve beaten the Coronavirus we will all be suffering the economic fallout from the crisis in savage cuts to services and massive tax increases for the working poor.
    They haven’t pulled the money out of a hole in the ground you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

splinter65 wrote: »
    These particular SW payments are not taxable. Not all SW payments are. You can look it up on the Citizensinformation website.

Show me where it says it won't be taxable or form part of your declarable income for the year 2020

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/unemployed_people/covid19_pandemic_unemployment_payment.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 784 ✭✭✭LaFuton

i got mine today, only got laid off friday. system works

and wasn't taxed on it, hae heard something about taxation but figured was for high earners?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 IontachSpraoi

Asking on behalf of a family member; is it true that they're just saying 'yes' to pretty much anyone right now, and that they might backtrack on your payment within a few weeks if they don't think you *actually* meet the criteria? I don't mean in terms of fraudulent people, I mean more in terms of grey areas like self-employment. I'd have thought that they could cross-reference tax returns etc when originally going through your application, but perhaps not if they're so overwhelmed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

LaFuton wrote: »

and wasn't taxed on it, hae heard something about taxation but figured was for high earners?

Look upon to the payment as an advance to be paid back.

• Advertisement

LaFuton wrote: »

I fully expect that all PAYE claimants will be expected to do a form 12 return and all self employed claimants will need to do their normal form 11

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭edenbridge146

Hi folks

I currently have/had 2 jobs. Both are part time jobs. I'm a PAYE earner.

First job i work 3 weeks out of 4 weeks - 18 hours
    Second job i work 1 week out of every 4 weeks - 25 hours

The second job now has let me go for the duration that this Corona Pandemic lasts.
    Would i be entitled to claim for the week that i'm down on income ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭torrevieja

How are you applying? I would strongly suspect some detail (ppsn) is wrong if they can't find the application.

no nothing was wrong i did the freepost box number, twice then when they set it up online, i did it exactly as the form i did in post, if u think about it if they say they dont get it saves them paying out straight away

ps ( i did get it yesterday) 13 days later

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

It's worth putting in an application online, very fast/simple process on the welfare.ie website and you don't even need a PSC to apply..

I would imagine you'd be entitled, because your employment has let you go due to coronavirus, regardless of whether or not you have a second wage 1 out of every 4 weeks of the year

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

torrevieja wrote: »
    no nothing was wrong i did the freepost box number, twice then when they set it up online, i did it exactly as the form i did in post, if u think about it if they say they dont get it saves them paying out straight away

Are you for real?! 290,000 people were paid this yesterday/today. No one in there gives a **** about *you* and saving 350 when it will cost the taxpayer billions overall. You’re just a PPSN, that’s it

If your posts here are anything to go by, I’ve no idea why you’re so confident in your form filling...

• Advertisement

Spook_ie wrote: »
    Show me where it says it won't be taxable or form part of your declarable income for the year 2020

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/unemployed_people/covid19_pandemic_unemployment_payment.html

The payment is being processed as part of the SWA scheme, which isn’t taxable.

I fully expect that all PAYE claimants will be expected to do a form 12 return and all self employed claimants will need to do their normal form 11

It’s an SWA payment. SWA is not taxable.
    https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/irish_social_welfare_system/claiming_a_social_welfare_payment/taxation_of_social_welfare_payments.html

splinter65 wrote: »
    The payment is being processed as part of the SWA scheme, which isn’t taxable.

Actually it's not
    The COVID-19 Payment Unemployment Payment will replace your employment income and will be regarded by the department as equivalent to employment income.

https://www.gov.ie/en/service/be74d3-covid-19-pandemic-unemployment-payment/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭torrevieja

Dodge wrote: »
    Are you for real?! 290,000 people were paid this yesterday/today. No one in there gives a **** about *you* and saving 350 when it will cost the taxpayer billions overall. You’re just a PPSN, that’s it

If your posts here are anything to go by, I’ve no idea why you’re so confident in your form filling...

Wow theres always one isnt there, im answering a question i was asked

i suffer from dyslexia so my posts might not be always correctly put, the forms were filled out by my partner and they were correct, so id apprciate if you would think before you mouth out of you

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

That's for means testing purposes for other sw payments such as DA, carers allowance etc.

Actually it’s not. But I’m not going to waste anymore time arguing with someone who doesn’t know what they’re talking about and is trying to tell me how to do my job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

I've processed the wage subsidy for our staff that we have kept on the books and the subsidy is taxable, but not at the moment. They will sort that later. I can see this 350 payment being treated the exact same way, it will be balanced at end of year and some will have a tax liability, others won't

Below is the text from revenue website, based on employer paying the subsidy:

The payments are liable to income tax; however, the subsidy is not taxable in real-time through the PAYE system during the period of the Subsidy scheme. Instead the employee will be liable for tax on the subsidy amount paid to
    them by their employer by way of review at the end of the year.
    When an end of the year review takes place, it may be the case that an employee’s unused tax credits will cover any
    further liability that may arise. Where this is not the case, and should an Income Tax liability arise, it is normal
    Revenue practice to collect any tax owing in manageable amounts by reducing an individual’s tax credits for a future
    year(s) in order to minimise any hardship.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

I contacted my local Intreo office and they told me to apply for the COVID-19 even though my lay-off had nothing to do with the pandemic. I can't post in the normal application form because its something like 20 pages and my signature would need to be witnessed. So I'm getting the COVID-19 payment for now and then I will have to apply for jobseeker's later.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

torrevieja wrote: »

With respect, it sounds like you screwed up the paper application twice, and then on the online application which as frontend verification you had no issues.
    Whats more likely, you messed up or the government are trying to save 350 euro from a 3 billion bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Tinder Surprise

I've processed the wage subsidy for our staff that we have kept on the books and the subsidy is taxable, but not at the moment. They will sort that later. I can see this 350 payment being treated the exact same way, it will be balanced at end of year and some will have a tax liability, others won't

Below is the text from revenue website, based on employer paying the subsidy:

The payments are liable to income tax; however, the subsidy is not taxable in real-time through the PAYE system during the period of the Subsidy scheme. Instead the employee will be liable for tax on the subsidy amount paid to
    them by their employer by way of review at the end of the year.
    When an end of the year review takes place, it may be the case that an employee’s unused tax credits will cover any
    further liability that may arise. Where this is not the case, and should an Income Tax liability arise, it is normal
    Revenue practice to collect any tax owing in manageable amounts by reducing an individual’s tax credits for a future
    year(s) in order to minimise any hardship.

Question:

is the subsidy with the understanding that the employer will top up employees wages with the remaining 30% of net income, or is that optional for the employer?

would seem awfully unfair that employers wouldn't top up the lower paid members of staff and the employee pays a 30% premium to stay 'on the books' vs applying separately for the €350, or am I missing something here?

thanks in advance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭monty_python

I Rand them again this morning and my application still isn't on the system, they referred me to the community welfare officer.
    Does anyone know the process involved dealing with him?

I Rand them again this morning and my application still isn't on the system, they referred me to the community welfare officer.

If you have no income at all then contact your local SW office to make an appointment with the CWO. That’s your first move. Have your PPSN ready to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Frogeye

Hi

A few lads at work need to stay home because they are the only carers for people who are required to cocoon. They can't risk picking up the virus at work and bringing it home.

The company have work for them so they are not being laid off. The company understands their situation and has no issue with them not coming in.

However are they entitled to claim anything with the covid payments? I've tried ringing the dept quite a few times only for the call to be dropped so I can't get any answers there.

Anyone have any idea on this?

Frogeye

Frogeye wrote: »
    Hi

A few lads at work need to stay home because they are the only carers for people who are required to cocoon. They can't risk picking up the virus at work and bringing it home.

The company have work for them so they are not being laid off. The company understands their situation and has no issue with them not coming in.

However are they entitled to claim anything with the covid payments? I've tried ringing the dept quite a few times only for the call to be dropped so I can't get any answers there.

Frogeye

The carer's allowance?

Frogeye wrote: »
    Hi

Frogeye
    They are not entitled to covid19 payments as they are taking voluntary unpaid leave.

Weird, when and how did you apply?

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭meath4sam

I had to self isolate on instruction of doctor and wait for test due to contact with confirmed case. I sent in IB1 form and got payment today for 203 euro should this not be 350? Who can I contact about this? Do you need a positive test to qualify for 350?

meath4sam wrote: »
    I had to self isolate on instruction of doctor and wait for test due to contact with confirmed case. I sent in IB1 form and got payment today for 203 euro should this not be 350? Who can I contact about this? Do you need a positive test to qualify for 350?

If you have been diagnosed with COVID-19 or have been told to self-isolate by your GP, you should apply for Illness Benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭meath4sam

If you have been diagnosed with COVID-19 or have been told to self-isolate by your GP, you should apply for Illness Benefit.

I was told to self isolate and did apply but only got 203 payment.

• Advertisement

Weird, when and how did you apply?

Paddy's day by post.
    I reapplied this morning by post. So it will be Tuesday week before I get paid. That's 5 weeks with no money. Ifs it's not back dated it's hugely unfair. They lost my application not me

Advertisement