Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corona virus and social protection

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

My husband qualifies for the increased rate of 350 illness benefit as he was told to self isolate by GP. He got a letter yesterday stating he's been awarded the standard rate of 203, he emailed to query it but I feel its unlikely anyone is responding to emails given the volume of claims. Is there any chance that it's a standard letter sent in error? He meets the criteria so hopefully it is just an error.

Any experience of same?

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭meath4sam

Cash_Q wrote: »
    My husband qualifies for the increased rate of 350 illness benefit as he was told to self isolate by GP. He got a letter yesterday stating he's been awarded the standard rate of 203, he emailed to query it but I feel its unlikely anyone is responding to emails given the volume of claims. Is there any chance that it's a standard letter sent in error? He meets the criteria so hopefully it is just an error.

Any experience of same?

I am the same, I think the system is still only set up for 203 payments for week 2 of illness the rest will be payed at a later date.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Helgagirl

meath4sam wrote: »
    I am the same, I think the system is still only set up for 203 payments for week 2 of illness the rest will be payed at a later date.

Hi my husband got this letter too last week and when I rang I was told it was an error, and that computer hadn't been set up at the time they received his application. They said that it would be adjusted and he would receive payment in the next few days. He hasn't received any payment yet and I posted this application on 21st March, 2020 Has anyone gotten any payment for the enhanced illness benefit yet?. He's been out of work since 18th March and still waiting for result of Covid test done on 23rd March so he has done the 14 day self isolation. Employer said he won't be allowed back to work till he gets the result of this so we are in a bit of a limbo at the moment

Also does anyone know what the situation is regarding the fact that if the illness benefit is paid for two weeks depending on result of the covid test being negative and longer if positive, but what happens if you are waiting over 2 weeks for results, and not able to get back to work while waiting for results, but if test comes back negative you would potentially have no benefit payment and no wages earned?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Notmything

Helgagirl wrote: »
    Hi my husband got this letter too last week and when I rang I was told it was an error, and that computer hadn't been set up at the time they received his application. They said that it would be adjusted and he would receive payment in the next few days. He hasn't received any payment yet and I posted this application on 21st March, 2020 Has anyone gotten any payment for the enhanced illness benefit yet?. He's been out of work since 18th March and still waiting for result of Covid test done on 23rd March so he has done the 14 day self isolation. Employer said he won't be allowed back to work till he gets the result of this so we are in a bit of a limbo at the moment

Also does anyone know what the situation is regarding the fact that if the illness benefit is paid for two weeks depending on result of the covid test being negative and longer if positive, but what happens if you are waiting over 2 weeks for results, and not able to get back to work while waiting for results, but if test comes back negative you would potentially have no benefit payment and no wages earned?

I applied for the enhanced illness benefit based on being directed to isolate for two weeks. Had symptoms but didnt get tested. Applied during week two and got a double payment the same week.

Notmything wrote: »
    I applied for the enhanced illness benefit based on being directed to isolate for two weeks. Had symptoms but didnt get tested. Applied during week two and got a double payment the same week.

As in 2x 350

• Advertisement

As in 2x 350

Yep, also never recieved a letter. Logged into my bank account and the payment was there,

I applied on 20 mar and got a payment for 203 for the second week of illness as I was in contact with a confirmed case. I was put on test list but never got tested due to changes government made. I then got a letter to go back to work from doctor after 2 weeks since contact and then 2 days later lock down.

Yep, also never recieved a letter. Logged into my bank account and the payment was there,

When do u send I application and was it a IB1 via post? I got letter in post a day or 2 after payment confirming it was standard illness benefit and I only get payed for week 2

When do u send I application and was it a IB1 via post? I got letter in post a day or 2 after payment confirming it was standard illness benefit and I only get payed for week 2

Yeah, sent by post. It was week two before i sent it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

My employment temporarily let everyone go due to covid 19 about a week after I began a month of leave due to a non covid 19 related illness. I'm supposed to be back in work but still layed off. I was told to fill in the covid 19 relief forms by work but I just got an email back saying I don't qualify as I was on illness benefit the time of the closure. I'm not really sure what to do and work don't know either

Username checks out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 beagle10

Hi, I applied for the enhanced illness benefit on the 26th March. I received a letter yesterday to say I would be getting flat rate of 203. I rang the dept who told me I was on a list to be paid 2× 350 due to self isolation. I haven't received any payment yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,386 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Got my first €350 payment today but only that and I applied on the 27th March

I missed out on the 31st March payment and as my last work day was 17th March so missed out on more I'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

PTH2009 wrote: »

I missed out on the 31st March payment and as my last work day was 17th March so missed out on more I'd say

You didn’t ‘miss out’ on any payments. You got the first payment after your application went in. Each payment run is done on Thursdays.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,386 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Dodge wrote: »
    You didn’t ‘miss out’ on any payments. You got the first payment after your application went in. Each payment run is done on Thursdays.

So it's not backdated

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

meath4sam wrote:

Thanks yes he finally spoke to someone on the phone after hours on hold, told it was an old letter but yes 350 rate will be paid. Hopefully he wont be waiting long on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭monty_python

So it's not backdated

It is being back dated but at a later date

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

So it's not backdated

They’re going to look into that later. No time at the moment. They’re still trying to sort through all the mistakes with PPSNs and IBANS.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

It is being back dated but at a later date

It might be, but there's nothing confirmed there. There's nothing in writing to say that.

If your last work day was 17 March then why didn’t you apply on the 18th?

It might be, but there's nothing confirmed there. There's nothing in writing to say that.

No there’s not, that’s because they might decide not to backdate at all.

• Advertisement

Under normal circumstances, she should be able to start her Mat Benefit from the point she was laid off, provided that was within the 16 weeks prior to due date. In these circumstances the Maternity Leave is deemed to have started on the day after the termination of the employment.

That’s my reading of it too. Hardly seems fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭monty_python

"The initial payment will be €350, any arrears due back to their last date of employment will be calculated and paid at a future date."

Near the bottom of this link, just above telephone enquires.
    https://www.gov.ie/en/news/20d803-income-supports-during-covid-19-pandemic-update/

Cash_Q wrote: »
    Thanks yes he finally spoke to someone on the phone after hours on hold, told it was an old letter but yes 350 rate will be paid. Hopefully he wont be waiting long on that.

That's what I was told last week too, but no payment came through, I was told it would be in a few days. I was hoping it might have been paid today! Maybe illness benefit is paid a different day to the pandemic unemployment payment? I presume they are up to their eyes at the minute, but it's frustrating when you hear stories about people just applying and getting paid straight away and others just left waiting not knowing what is happening. I spent 50 minutes on hold just to talk to someone last week, so I know if I try to ring again it will be similar and I feel I am wasting the persons time on phone when maybe they could be processing someone's claim who badly needs to get money paid to them!

Do you mind if I ask when you applied and if it was online or by post?

Do you mind if I ask when you applied and if it was online or by post?

Applied by post, put in postbox on 31 March.

Applied by post, put in postbox on 31 March.

Thanks for your reply, was just wondering about the timeline involved, I posted my husbands on 21st March, 2020 and I rang benefit section last week and was told he should get payment in a couple of days, so it makes me more worried that he received nothing, seems like something went wrong somewhere in the processing of his claim, although he did receive a letter dated 27th March, 2020 saying they had received it. I will try to ring tomorrow and see if I can get anywhere, I am the secretary around here, and if my husband rang himself he wouldn't know what he was asking for:)

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Saudades

What are people who have had their hours cut entitled to? Is there any benefit for them? A friend has had their hours cut by 50%

They could apply for the 'Short Time Work Support' payment;

https://www.gov.ie/en/service/c20e1b...-work-support/ ,

I'm not sure if Short Time Work Support payments are also going to be backdated at a later date though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

Thanks for your reply, was just wondering about the timeline involved, I posted my husbands on 21st March, 2020 and I rang benefit section last week and was told he should get payment in a couple of days, so it makes me more worried that he received nothing, seems like something went wrong somewhere in the processing of his claim, although he did receive a letter dated 27th March, 2020 saying they had received it. I will try to ring tomorrow and see if I can get anywhere, I am the secretary around here, and if my husband rang himself he wouldn't know what he was asking for:)
    Did you get an email yesterday saying you didn't get it, they seem to be issuing emails to people who failed to get it for one reason or another,

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

Just noticed that if you are in receipt of the Emergency payment and if you have adult dependents you could also apply for jobseekers allowance. Do college going kids count as adult dependents?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Wanderer19

degsie wrote: »
    Just noticed that if you are in receipt of the Emergency payment and if you have adult dependents you could also apply for jobseekers allowance. Do college going kids count as adult dependents?
    It's one payment, the emergency payment is paid straightaway but you still have to complete the job seekers application to calculate the entitlements for when the emergency payments finish.

No, college students are not classed as dependents - they should claim their own payment.

Advertisement