Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corona virus and social protection

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭daretodream

In payment for 350 Covid-19...do I still need to apply for Job seekers within 6 weeks in order to continue receiving emergency payment or has this changed...don't want to suddenly cut off for not applying for JS.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Curlysue76

In payment for 350 Covid-19...do I still need to apply for Job seekers within 6 weeks in order to continue receiving emergency payment or has this changed...don't want to suddenly cut off for not applying for JS.

It says on gov.ie that the covid 19 emergency payment will be in place for duration of the crisis. It was originally 6 weeks, then it changed to 12 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭daretodream

So will carry on regardless of whether JS is applied for or not...sorry for confusion here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

My understanding is that you apply for Covid payment and that is processed quickly, if it’s likely you will remain unemployed it’s advised that you apply for jobseekers benefit, it’s probably best to apply for them both at the same time, JSB will be processed in time so the quicker you apply the higher the chances you can get the correct benefit.

Personally I’m struggling with the Covid payment, €350 a week sounds great but my expenses are around 3k a month, between, mortgage, bills, food, loan repayments, etc.

I’m open to correction but my understanding is that there’s FIS payment available but that’s for people on JSB not for people on Covid payment...is this correct ? I last contacted the dept of social welfare when i was aware this had impacted on my income, paddy’s day!

I can divert money due to revenue for vat to make this months mortgage payment, but apart from that.... I’m really at a loss and struggling to see how to survive

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

My understanding is that you apply for Covid payment and that is processed quickly, if it’s likely you will remain unemployed it’s advised that you apply for jobseekers benefit, it’s probably best to apply for them both at the same time, JSB will be processed in time so the quicker you apply the higher the chances you can get the correct benefit.

Personally I’m struggling with the Covid payment, €350 a week sounds great but my expenses are around 3k a month, between, mortgage, bills, food, loan repayments, etc.

I’m open to correction but my understanding is that there’s FIS payment available but that’s for people on JSB not for people on Covid payment...is this correct ? I last contacted the dept of social welfare when i was aware this had impacted on my income, paddy’s day!

I can divert money due to revenue for vat to make this months mortgage payment, but apart from that.... I’m really at a loss and struggling to see how to survive

I’m afraid FIS now known as WFP is only available to people working 19 hours per week as employees.
    People who WERE getting WFP are continuing to get it with their PUP in this emergency situation where normally their WFP would stop if they lost their job.
    You won’t get anymore SW then the 350 and if you are struggling with bills you need to contact MABS by phone.

• Advertisement

splinter65 wrote: »
    I’m afraid FIS now known as WFP is only available to people working 19 hours per week as employees.
    People who WERE getting WFP are continuing to get it with their PUP in this emergency situation where normally their WFP would stop if they lost their job.
    You won’t get anymore SW then the 350 and if you are struggling with bills you need to contact MABS by phone.

What will happen if your WFP claim is due to run out before this crisis might be is over? If you can’t get employer to fill out form, do you know if it will automatically be renewed, then the form sent in later?

Curlysue76 wrote: »
    What will happen if your WFP claim is due to run out before this crisis might be is over? If you can’t get employer to fill out form, do you know if it will automatically be renewed, then the form sent in later?

I’m afraid I don’t know. You’ll have to try to get hold of them on Tuesday.

I’m afraid I don’t know. You’ll have to try to get hold of them on Tuesday.

Thanks for replying, no panic yet, few weeks left on it. I just get overly anxious sometimes over things I have absolutely no control over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭upinthesky

Do you know if vat has to be pad on this sum? Also tax? Really hope not I will be left with nothing

upinthesky wrote: »
    Do you know if vat has to be pad on this sum? Also tax? Really hope not I will be left with nothing

We only pay VAT on items and services we purchase. To date the PUP is not taxable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

Curlysue76 wrote: »
    It says on gov.ie that the covid 19 emergency payment will be in place for duration of the crisis. It was originally 6 weeks, then it changed to 12 weeks.

This is fantastic. Goalposts seem to be changing all the time here. Soon it will be extended to 6 bloody months.

anyone made unemployed and is in receipt of JSB in particular from Jan or Feb of this year (and are paid JSB due to qualifying tax contribution) still have to make do with €203 in this economic climate, its an absolute joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rapul

AdrianG08 wrote: »
    anyone made unemployed and is in receipt of JSB in particular from Jan or Feb of this year (and are paid JSB due to qualifying tax contribution) still have to make do with €203 in this economic climate, its an absolute joke.

But you were already on that amount before, you haven't lost any money like others if you were in the dole before, jaysus

rapul wrote: »
    But you were already on that amount before, you haven't lost any money like others if you were in the dole before, jaysus

Lost job at end of February as company downsized.

I dont see my financial situation as being any different to those who lost out due to Covid to be honest.

I was on significantly more pre 28th Feb 2020, just like those on Covid emergency payment were on more (well a small minority are actually better off) pre 19th March.

3 weeks in the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

I dont see my financial situation as being any different to those who lost out due to Covid to be honest.

I was on significantly more pre 28th Feb 2020, just like those on Covid emergency payment were on more (well a small minority are actually better off) pre 19th March.

Ive wondered about this myself to be honest. Seems a bit mad.

Wouldnt advocate giving everyone 350euro mind, but system seems unfair. Some are clearly gaining more (namely alot of part time staff, some who may have been short term contract workers) whilst the likes of poster above who has paid tax also (JSB as opposed to JSA) and faces same economic hardship has to make do.

One other question, how long is the emergency payment going to last, and at what stage will they be just classed as unemployed, as opposed to being presumed theres a job waiting for them?

Very hard to give something to someone and then take it away again i.e. start paying them lesser rate. Its like they are saying these people are higher quality of job seeker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

The only reason they are paying €350 a week is because it had to be sorted quickly and it's temporary .If they were to assess everyone for Jobseekers - the backlog would probably have taken weeks or months to get through.

They seem to have arrived at €350 because it's close to the minimum wage full time take home pay.
    Welfare said they know some people are getting too much - but they set the rate so as to avoid families getting too little.

I think original plan might have been to get everyone to apply for jobseekers ad then move them onto the correct rate eventually. This idea seems to have been abandoned now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

Ogham wrote: »
    The only reason they are paying €350 a week is because it had to be sorted quickly and it's temporary .If they were to assess everyone for Jobseekers - the backlog would probably have taken weeks or months to get through.

They seem to have arrived at €350 because it's close to the minimum wage full time take home pay.
    Welfare said they know some people are getting too much - but they set the rate so as to avoid families getting too little.

I think original plan might have been to get everyone to apply for jobseekers ad then move them onto the correct rate eventually. This idea seems to have been abandoned now.

The state are walking a tightrope with that approach. That would work if temporary yes, but its inequitable if it goes past 6 weeks.

3 months is excessive, and is stretching into a long term payment. You simply cannot have a 2 tier welfare system.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

Blanco100 wrote: »
    The state are walking a tightrope with that approach. That would work if temporary yes, but its inequitable if it goes past 6 weeks.

3 months is excessive, and is stretching into a long term payment. You simply cannot have a 2 tier welfare system.

Yes - it's going to be a right mess when they try to start weaning people off it.
    Can't see how they will do it.
    If hey wait for people to sign off it - they could be waiting for ever - especially with part timers
    If they do a blanket withdrawal - then they will leave thousands in hardship.

Going to be a long and messy task .

Ogham wrote: »
    Yes - it's going to be a right mess when they try to start weaning people off it.
    Can't see how they will do it.
    If hey wait for people to sign off it - they could be waiting for ever - especially with part timers
    If they do a blanket withdrawal - then they will leave thousands in hardship.

Going to be a long and messy task .

you simply cannot have a 2 tier system. id imagine anyone out of work now is suffering hardship regardless of the date they were let go.

People on 203 rate didnt suffer hardship apparently as this was what they were getting prior to this. Prior to end of Feb I was alot more than that, so its not fair to say their hardship is different.

you simply cannot have a 2 tier system. id imagine anyone out of work now is suffering hardship regardless of the date they were let go.

People on 203 rate didnt suffer hardship apparently as this was what they were getting prior to this. Prior to end of Feb I was alot more than that, so its not fair to say their hardship is different.

These are two entirely different payments. Processed in two different ways. If you lost your job in February and you have a spouse at home not working outside the home and minding 3 children aged 5 9 and 13 then your Jobseekers Benefit payment is €462. It will continue to be €462 for 9 months and then after the means test is passed it will continue to be €462 indefinitely. You will have family medical card. If you are renting you will be admitted to your local authority housing list and will be awarded HAP.
    The same person lost their job post March 13 just got €350 and is hoping to have their JSB application processed ASAP but may be waiting a while. They will also have difficulty getting a medical card and access to the housing list.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭gaz15

I haven't received an email to say my money will be in the post office today as I have done the previous 3 weeks. Should I just assume the money will be there or wait till I get an email due to bank holiday weekend?

• Advertisement

gaz15 wrote: »
    I haven't received an email to say my money will be in the post office today as I have done the previous 3 weeks. Should I just assume the money will be there or wait till I get an email due to bank holiday weekend?

Because of the 4 day weekend people getting the covid payment got it paid into the bank last Wednesday night/Thursday morning. If you didn’t get it then (check your account) then you wouldn’t have got it last night so if it’s not there you’ll have to contact you local office.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭upinthesky

gaz15 wrote: »

Didn’t get an email either as I have done the past 3 weeks also but on my welfare account it’s shows a payment for today so check the post office..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭Sparko

upinthesky wrote: »
    Didn’t get an email either as I have done the past 3 weeks also but on my welfare account it’s shows a payment for today so check the post office..

No email for me either but was there waiting for me in the post office.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Because of the 4 day weekend people getting the covid payment got it paid into the bank last Wednesday night/Thursday morning. If you didn’t get it then (check your account) then you wouldn’t have got it last night so if it’s not there you’ll have to contact you local office.

Everyone I know who is getting it got 350 last Tuesday, and nothing since. Everyone is due/expecting it tonight (into bank accounts).

So none of them are getting it? (having received the previous ones)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭monty_python

Hoboo wrote: »
    Everyone I know who is getting it got 350 last Tuesday, and nothing since. Everyone is due/expecting it tonight (into bank accounts).

Mine came through last Friday as did other posters on here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭wiz569

Mine came through today as normal.

Seems like a split?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Seems like a split?

It depends on bank/post office

They were processed at the same time but banks receive/issue/release (don’t know the technical term) at different times over the Easter weekend

Next week will be back to normal with everyone receiving their payment on Tuesday

My daughter got the 350 last Tuesday. She and all her colleagues and many friends got the 3rd payment last Wednesday night/Thursday morning. The next payment will be next Tuesday.

• Advertisement

My daughter got the 350 last Tuesday. She and all her colleagues and many friends got the 3rd payment last Wednesday night/Thursday morning. The next payment will be next Tuesday.

Must be different for some reason. Liz Canavan said this morning 500 odd thousand would get the payment today. 6 people I know received a payment the last two Tuesday nights and nothing since.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/more-than-1700-people-get-apology-after-emergency-covid-19-unemployment-payment-denied-in-error-39126858.html

Last paragraph.

Update: all received payments tonight

Advertisement