Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corona virus and social protection

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭peddlelies

Just wanted to clarify this. Signing on isn't required during the coronavirus lockdown?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

peddlelies wrote: »
    Just wanted to clarify this. Signing on isn't required during the coronavirus lockdown?
    No you just fill out the COVID-19 form and post it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

No you just fill out the COVID-19 form and post it in.

It is much quicker to do it online if you can

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Balagan1

peddlelies wrote: »

Important signing notice

The requirement to sign on at your local Intreo Centre has been suspended with effect from 12 March 2020 until further notice.Weekly casual dockets will continue to be required as normal.

https://www.gov.ie/en/campaigns/fb84c0-intreo/

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭LasersGoPewPew

I applied for the covid-19 payment yesterday. Anyone know what the lead time is for applications at the moment? Also, will I be notified if my application is successful or rejected?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

I applied for the covid-19 payment yesterday. Anyone know what the lead time is for applications at the moment? Also, will I be notified if my application is successful or rejected?

If you did it online you should get paid next Tuesday. If you posted it in, you might miss the Thursday deadline for the process to be run

• Registered Users Posts: 18 IontachSpraoi

Is it a dead cert that if you were last paid before the 13th march, you won't get the emergency payment? Even if you did lose your job due to covid? Seems incredibly unfair, there are grey areas all over the place. There's a difference between 'last paid on' and 'became unemployed on', I don't understand why they don't use the latter on the form. I know it says 'worked until / last paid on', but those are entirely different things?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

Is it a dead cert that if you were last paid before the 13th march, you won't get the emergency payment? Even if you did lose your job due to covid? Seems incredibly unfair, there are grey areas all over the place. There's a difference between 'last paid on' and 'became unemployed on', I don't understand why they don't use the latter on the form. I know it says 'worked until / last paid on', but those are entirely different things?

When you were last paid doesn’t matter for Covid payment as long as you are effected by Covid you can apply, I believe they changed the criteria after the first week to be if you are fully unemployed.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭marguerite2000

I was last paid on the 11th but became unemployed on 16th and i was approved for the Covid- 19 payment.and obviously the forms were out prior to this ,i think the key word was became unemployed due to Covid-19

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Can someone explain the wage subsidy and income tax?

Will the €410 per week be subject to income tax and is this calculated by employers before it is passed onto the employee?

As an employees salary will be reduced can that apply for a tax refund also?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭lughildanach

The forms says "last day worked/paid to", ie the day you last worked and for which you received payment. They don't ask what day you were actually paid on, although my understanding is that they cross reference with payroll information submitted by employer to make sure you were being paid at the relevant time.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Will the €410 per week be subject to income tax YES and is this calculated by employers before it is passed onto the employee UNSURE, would presume yes?

As an employees salary will be reduced can that apply for a tax refund also?YES - APPLY FOR P21

Will the €410 per week be subject to income tax and is this calculated by employers before it is passed onto the employee?

As an employees salary will be reduced can that apply for a tax refund also?

Employer must pay the full amount of the subsidy to the employee (ie, no deductions). However, as things stand it is currently taxable, so employee will have to complete a tax return at the end of the year and pay any tax liable. However, I wouldn't be surprised if this was changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Saudades

Does anyone know if the Jobseeker's Benefit is backdated?

My partner had their days reduced from 5 days a week to 3 days a week, starting from the week of Monday March 23.

They appear to be eligible for €81.20 for the 2 days they are no longer working under the Short Time Work Support scheme - https://www.gov.ie/en/service/c20e1b-short-time-work-support/ .

They will submit their application to the Intreo office tomorrow, but I fear they may have lost out on 4 x 81.20 payments.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Saudades wrote: »

My partner had their days reduced from 5 days a week to 3 days a week, starting from the week of Monday March 23.

They appear to be eligible for €81.20 for the 2 days they are no longer working under the Short Time Work Support scheme - https://www.gov.ie/en/service/c20e1b-short-time-work-support/ .

They will submit their application to the Intreo office tomorrow, but I fear they may have lost out on 4 x 81.20 payments.

If he can explain in brief why he didn’t apply as soon as he suffered a loss of employment and show briefly how he managed financially for those 2 weeks then he will be backdated.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭spygirl

Just wondering if people got an email to say a covid claim had been approved or not?
    Applied Thursday the 9th April, just hoping something will go through this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Saudades

splinter65 wrote: »
    If he can explain in brief why he didn’t apply as soon as he suffered a loss of employment and show briefly how he managed financially for those 2 weeks then he will be backdated.

Thanks. Just curious how strict they are.

It's actually been 4 weeks now as it's from March 23.

They originally submitted the Pandemic Unemployment Payment application form a few days after March 23. That was rejected about a week later because it was the incorrect form.
    Then after filling out the correct form (Jobseeker's Benefit) they have had to wait a couple more weeks until their manager came into the office to fill out the Employer declaration form.

So all that has delayed about 4 weeks.

Usually they will only pay from the date they receive the application, but if you can show good cause why you did not submit the application when you first became unemployed, you can get it backdated. If they refuse to backdate, they must give you written reasons for the decision and you have the right to appeal.

Thanks. Just curious how strict they are.

It's actually been 4 weeks now as it's from March 23.

They originally submitted the Pandemic Unemployment Payment application form a few days after March 23. That was rejected about a week later because it was the incorrect form.
    Then after filling out the correct form (Jobseeker's Benefit) they have had to wait a couple more weeks until their manager came into the office to fill out the Employer declaration form.

So all that has delayed about 4 weeks.

Well that will definitely suffice as an explanation

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭tina1040

This may have been asked already.

To receive the pandemic payment do you have to be taken off the payroll? What if you're paid monthly, unemployed from beginning of April but the cessation at work not done until this week when the accountant will be paying the monthly wages?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

tina1040 wrote: »
    This may have been asked already.

To receive the pandemic payment do you have to be taken off the payroll? What if you're paid monthly, unemployed from beginning of April but the cessation at work not done until this week when the accountant will be paying the monthly wages?

Sign on at the beginning of april.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Orange Krush

Apologies if this has been asked already.

Is there a process to apply for backdated payments?

I just received my first covid payment today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭monty_python

Apologies if this has been asked already.

Is there a process to apply for backdated payments?

I just received my first covid payment today.

Nobody has got a back payment yet. Nobody knows if/when we get it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I have a few questions to ask here guys. I am on the regular JSA at the moment.

I want to ask about the form to redirect SW payments from the post office to the bank. It is the DIR PMT 1 form.

Do I have to either self-isolate based from medical advice from my GP if you are waiting for a test/have already been tested for the virus or officially have symptoms of Covid-19 in order to fill out this form to get my payments into the bank? Or is it open to everyone, who has the virus or not, who wants to fill out the form regardless of what SW payment they receive at the moment? I have not been ill with Covid-19 so far. I wasn't sure if I needed to fill out this form or not.

I wanted to ask this question because I have 3 post offices near me that are close to or exactly 2km in walking length each way from the house. Is that not considered an excessive walking length from your home to collect the payments at the post office? Or does it count as an essential journey? I have been collecting the payments in the post office every 2 weeks since the 30th of March. I have been keeping up with social distancing since the lockdown began here a month ago. Should I continue going to the post office to collect my payment during this lockdown or am I at risk of spreading the virus to others when I do it? I have not been stopped by Gardai while I have collected my payment to date.

Also; if the Gardai stop me to ask me where I am going when I collect my payments. Do I need to show them my PS Card as proof of collecting it?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

Got a call from work last night(fri) I’m told to come in on Monday and it’s unclear if I’m going to be working week on week off or week on two weeks off (I’m going to be job sharing with 2 others) ....can anyone point me in the direction of who to contact in respect of discussing how this effects my covid19 payments and JSB application.

At the moment all I can find is a support contact number 1980800024 for applications and deasp website saying offices will be open at limited days and times which is only open from mon-wed-fri 10-1.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭theglobe

Just want to confirm if all of this is paid back in tax? I'm self employed and eligible but won't exactly go hungry if I don't get it. If I'm paying it all back in taxes anyway I might be better off not getting it... I appreciate the help.

Got a call from work last night(fri) I’m told to come in on Monday and it’s unclear if I’m going to be working week on week off or week on two weeks off (I’m going to be job sharing with 2 others) ....can anyone point me in the direction of who to contact in respect of discussing how this effects my covid19 payments and JSB application.

At the moment all I can find is a support contact number 1980800024 for applications and deasp website saying offices will be open at limited days and times which is only open from mon-wed-fri 10-1.

You won’t get anyone until Monday because it’s the weekend. On Monday phone your local SW office.

theglobe wrote: »
    Just want to confirm if all of this is paid back in tax? I'm self employed and eligible but won't exactly go hungry if I don't get it. If I'm paying it all back in taxes anyway I might be better off not getting it... I appreciate the help.

If you don’t need it then just do the right thing and don’t apply for it. Then you won’t have to worry about paying tax on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭misstearheus

I have a few questions to ask here guys. I am on the regular JSA at the moment.

I want to ask about the form to redirect SW payments from the post office to the bank. It is the DIR PMT 1 form.

Do I have to either self-isolate based from medical advice from my GP if you are waiting for a test/have already been tested for the virus or officially have symptoms of Covid-19 in order to fill out this form to get my payments into the bank? Or is it open to everyone, who has the virus or not, who wants to fill out the form regardless of what SW payment they receive at the moment? I have not been ill with Covid-19 so far. I wasn't sure if I needed to fill out this form or not.

I wanted to ask this question because I have 3 post offices near me that are close to or exactly 2km in walking length each way from the house. Is that not considered an excessive walking length from your home to collect the payments at the post office? Or does it count as an essential journey? I have been collecting the payments in the post office every 2 weeks since the 30th of March. I have been keeping up with social distancing since the lockdown began here a month ago. Should I continue going to the post office to collect my payment during this lockdown or am I at risk of spreading the virus to others when I do it? I have not been stopped by Gardai while I have collected my payment to date.

Also; if the Gardai stop me to ask me where I am going when I collect my payments. Do I need to show them my PS Card as proof of collecting it?

Thanks.

Form is for people out of work as a result of COVID-19. Fill it out anyway. They will likely just bin it if you're not eligible for the Payment. But keep an eye on it and put in a few Phone-calls to get a follow-up on it. There's Posters here saying they've had to send the Form a couple of times so keep on top of it.

I don't think there ever was any stipulation / exception included for people having to travel just to carry out their financial-affairs / personal-affairs etc. such as for eg. having to go to the Post Office. Although the Cops did stop someone that they saw at a Post Office wanting to post a Letter! As it turned out the Driver or Passenger in the Car actually had COVID-19 too! So that sounds like they consider going to the Post Office not essential if they would stop someone like that.

However there's loads of different scenarios. I.m.o. collecting your money would be essential, or at least the journey has an essential element to it needing your money and that's the place it has to be collected. And then you may need to try sort out lodging money to Bank if Bills need to be paid, so the next question is, is travelling to the Bank essential... Although I don't think Bank Branches are open at the moment, but still there's different situations that are necessary that they havn't accounted-for / allowed-for.

I was stopped at a Check-point the other day, there was something I just had to do and I had to drive an hour for it. It was a task in itself to try explain my reasoning to them, but at the same time they could see what I was doing was purposeful and necessary. All's they said really is that, is that if asked if it's essential to go there can I say yes or no, and the answer was yes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭theglobe

splinter65 wrote: »
    If you don’t need it then just do the right thing and don’t apply for it. Then you won’t have to worry about paying tax on it.

I don't have a lot of money at all and I'm not taking a wage. I'm just saying I could make it through a few months. That's some nice virtue signalling though.

Advertisement