Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corona virus and social protection

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Got a call from work last night(fri) I’m told to come in on Monday and it’s unclear if I’m going to be working week on week off or week on two weeks off (I’m going to be job sharing with 2 others) ....can anyone point me in the direction of who to contact in respect of discussing how this effects my covid19 payments and JSB application.

At the moment all I can find is a support contact number 1980800024 for applications and deasp website saying offices will be open at limited days and times which is only open from mon-wed-fri 10-1.
    You can’t give SW all the info as you’re unsure about your own working situation. Get the info from your work before contacting SW and that way they can give you the right path to follow

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

theglobe wrote: »
    I don't have a lot of money at all and I'm not taking a wage. I'm just saying I could make it through a few months. That's some nice virtue signalling though.

I’m not virtue signalling. I don’t think that means what you think it means.
    Professionally I’ve been dealing with people making enquiries about PUP now for 3 weeks.
    It was intended for employees who were laid off suddenly or self employed people who had to shut their business down, due to covid19.
    Lots of genuine people but lots of chancers too.
    The rest of the country is trusting that people who don’t actually need it won’t apply for it because at the end of the day it’s going to take us years of hardship to pay this back. That’s all.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

theglobe wrote: »
    Just want to confirm if all of this is paid back in tax? I'm self employed and eligible but won't exactly go hungry if I don't get it. If I'm paying it all back in taxes anyway I might be better off not getting it... I appreciate the help.

Someone will pay for it out of taxes, but if you mean you directly, not that I can tell. My daughter is getting it but she won't be paying it back anytime soon but undoubtedly I and others will. That's how society is meant to work though. In theory, almost every one who claims it, needs it, they might not need that much, they might need more but push comes to shove, this saves more people than it hurts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭kerryjack

Is there such a thing as a 500 euro grant handed it out to pensioners to buy an iPad. 1 member of the OH family that rides the system were on about getting it for there father be nearly 90 he will never use it sounds ridiculous to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭Hoboo

kerryjack wrote: »
    Is there such a thing as a 500 euro grant handed it out to pensioners to buy an iPad. 1 member of the OH family that rides the system were on about getting it for there father be nearly 90 he will never use it sounds ridiculous to me.

Can't see why not, they should be "enititleteh".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

The person may have been referring to the age action grant for elderly.

https://www.longfordleader.ie/news/home/535890/age-action-and-the-irish-red-cross-to-offer-covid-19-hardship-fund-of-up-to-500-to-the-over-70s.html

There was, but the closing date was Friday so it’s too late now.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Alex86Eire

Quick question.
    My mother only received her first payment last week. She is self employed and has been closed for several weeks at this stage. She specified this on her application. I'm presuming she won't get the €350 for previous weeks will she?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,386 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Bank holiday weekend next week so 2 payments for the coming week

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Seanachai

If the wages you are paid match the €400 threshold for the C19 payment does this mean that your employer isn't actually paying you anything?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

splinter65 wrote: »
    I’m not virtue signalling. I don’t think that means what you think it means.
    Professionally I’ve been dealing with people making enquiries about PUP now for 3 weeks.
    It was intended for employees who were laid off suddenly or self employed people who had to shut their business down, due to covid19.
    Lots of genuine people but lots of chancers too.
    The rest of the country is trusting that people who don’t actually need it won’t apply for it because at the end of the day it’s going to take us years of hardship to pay this back. That’s all.

I don't think anyone is expecting that! :D

Just because someone might not need it straight away doesn't make them a chancer. If they are entitled to it they are entitled to it. Perhaps the only reason someone doesn't need it straight away is because they were prudent with their money before? Also, who knows how long it will go on for. Might not be needed now but things can change. If I was entitled to it, I would be applying without hesitation. We've years of hardship ahead anyway. I am glad I have kept my job and can work remotely. I don't begrudge someone else availing of a payment they are entitled to, especially where they have been working right up until the crisis hit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭Long_Wave

I have a few questions to ask here guys. I am on the regular JSA at the moment.

I want to ask about the form to redirect SW payments from the post office to the bank. It is the DIR PMT 1 form.

Do I have to either self-isolate based from medical advice from my GP if you are waiting for a test/have already been tested for the virus or officially have symptoms of Covid-19 in order to fill out this form to get my payments into the bank? Or is it open to everyone, who has the virus or not, who wants to fill out the form regardless of what SW payment they receive at the moment? I have not been ill with Covid-19 so far. I wasn't sure if I needed to fill out this form or not.

I wanted to ask this question because I have 3 post offices near me that are close to or exactly 2km in walking length each way from the house. Is that not considered an excessive walking length from your home to collect the payments at the post office? Or does it count as an essential journey? I have been collecting the payments in the post office every 2 weeks since the 30th of March. I have been keeping up with social distancing since the lockdown began here a month ago. Should I continue going to the post office to collect my payment during this lockdown or am I at risk of spreading the virus to others when I do it? I have not been stopped by Gardai while I have collected my payment to date.

Also; if the Gardai stop me to ask me where I am going when I collect my payments. Do I need to show them my PS Card as proof of collecting it?

Thanks.

FFS facepalm

• Registered Users Posts: 5,254 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Ive 2 questions someone might answer for me, now the €350 payment i think is for 12 weeks, now is the 12 weeks from the first claim for each person or is it a set finish date for everyone?
    if my firm re opens may 5th, but not all employees are asked back because of lack of ordered's in some departments, can you still claim the €350?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 banstick39

Hello, i am not a usual poster to forums, but i was laid off last month, due to the covid 19 my employer stated was no work, i am now on the covid 19 pandemic payment, but today my employer has decided he needs me back to work, but is only offering 3 hours a week at minimum wage at a time outside the normal business opening time accepting this will cut me off from the pandemic payment i would assume, and the tone of the email giving me the 3hrs was hinting that if i did not accept they would interfeer with my entitlement to the pandemic payment, do i have any rights to refuse this dismal offer of 30 euros worth of work ( which will cost me 10 euro to drive there) per week, the offer was for 3hr a week until september.

Alex86Eire wrote: »
    Quick question.
    My mother only received her first payment last week. She is self employed and has been closed for several weeks at this stage. She specified this on her application. I'm presuming she won't get the €350 for previous weeks will she?

When she closes her claim they will consider her arrears.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

CramCycle wrote: »
    Someone will pay for it out of taxes, but if you mean you directly, not that I can tell. My daughter is getting it but she won't be paying it back anytime soon but undoubtedly I and others will. That's how society is meant to work though. In theory, almost every one who claims it, needs it, they might not need that much, they might need more but push comes to shove, this saves more people than it hurts.

Citizens information say Revenue will treat as taxable income

Stheno wrote: »
    Citizens information say Revenue will treat as taxable income

I think that the poster is saying, quite correctly, that lots of people getting the €350 for many reasons, wont earn enough money this year to be liable for any tax anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Alex86Eire

splinter65 wrote: »
    When she closes her claim they will consider her arrears.

Oh great, thank you so much!!

I have a sneaky feeling the €350 will be reduced in the next couple of weeks

Cant complain really but would be more content if I knew I will be getting a weekly payment of something instead of nothing

PTH2009 wrote: »

Cant complain really but would be more content if I knew I will be getting a weekly payment of something instead of nothing

My understanding that it is the 12 weeks i have only been claiming for 4 weeks ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

It's reduced after 12 weeks to standard JSB/JSA

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Deadly.

beertons wrote: »
    Deadly.

Mind yourself now go easy !!!!!

ELM327 wrote: »
    It's reduced after 12 weeks to standard JSB/JSA

Is it 12 weeks from your first payment or from when it started nationally which I think was 27th March ?

4 payments gone through for me so far (will be 5 on Friday)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

Probably mentioned before in here but that €350 will be considered later in the year come tax returns time so is possible try to hold 30% of it asside so that you're not caught short for it if revenue come asking

Should we have got 2 payments yesterday (Tuesday) then as bank holiday this weekend ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Curlysue76

Probably mentioned before in here but that €350 will be considered later in the year come tax returns time so is possible try to hold 30% of it asside so that you're not caught short for it if revenue come asking

Why would it be 30%? Would it not be classed as wages, you wouldn’t pay 30% of €350 on tax surely.

Is it 12 weeks from your first payment or from when it started nationally which I think was 27th March ?

4 payments gone through for me so far (will be 5 on Friday)

They said it would taper after 12 weeks so my reading is that it will taper after you receive 12 - as opposed to 12 weeks from national implementation.
    That's the unfortunate thing though - this is new to everyone and no one knows for sure!

Curlysue76 wrote: »
    Why would it be 30%? Would it not be classed as wages, you wouldn’t pay 30% of €350 on tax surely.

If you were furloughed from a job earning more than 35k you would pay 50% tax on other earnings above that threshold.

Additionally, you pay ~20% PAYE, and some USC and some PRSI anyway, so it is possible that the rate is 30%. It's just a provision

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Saudades

Curlysue76 wrote: »

I think they were rounding up; 20% income tax, + 4% PRSI + 4.5% USC = 28.5%.

Advertisement