Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corona virus and social protection

Options

Comments

Was there a second covid payment due this week due to the bank holiday?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

zorro2566 wrote: »
    Was there a second covid payment due this week due to the bank holiday?

That's what I thought too, after seeing this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,254 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

No payment in my account anyway,maybe Tuesday.

It must be big holidays like Easter and Christmas where they pay earlier!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

banstick39 wrote: »
    Hello, i am not a usual poster to forums, but i was laid off last month, due to the covid 19 my employer stated was no work, i am now on the covid 19 pandemic payment, but today my employer has decided he needs me back to work, but is only offering 3 hours a week at minimum wage at a time outside the normal business opening time accepting this will cut me off from the pandemic payment i would assume, and the tone of the email giving me the 3hrs was hinting that if i did not accept they would interfeer with my entitlement to the pandemic payment, do i have any rights to refuse this dismal offer of 30 euros worth of work ( which will cost me 10 euro to drive there) per week, the offer was for 3hr a week until september.

In that case you're better off doing what others are doing....... work cash in hand or for free to keep him sweet.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

ELM327 wrote: »
    If you were furloughed from a job earning more than 35k you would pay 50% tax on other earnings above that threshold.

Additionally, you pay ~20% PAYE, and some USC and some PRSI anyway, so it is possible that the rate is 30%. It's just a provision

But you won't earn that amount over the year. If you are not in work for 3 months, then you will earn only 3/4 of this for the year. That is, your tax to that point in the year has been higher than it needed to be (if you knew what was coming). For those who are earning so much that they will be back in the 50% tax bracket if they get back to work in 3 months, then their wages will more than cover any possible tax on the payment. If you are earning €350 a week anyway, thats €18200 a year, and your weekly wage would be €340, so at worse you will pay €10 for each week you recieve it, as you earn more, your wages will increase and you will be better situated to absorb the taxes from your wages. You will more than likely have overpaid your taxes anyway as you will have been paying taxes with the implication that you would be earning that amount all year, which you won't have been.

Long story short, I wouldn't be overconcerned, there will be a very small group of people who will owe money back if they don't restart work, which will be sorted when they do their P21. People who do get back to work, will have it sorted as part of their taxes in their new job.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

If you were furloughed from a job earning more than 35k you would pay 50% tax on other earnings above that threshold.

Additionally, you pay ~20% PAYE, and some USC and some PRSI anyway, so it is possible that the rate is 30%. It's just a provision

Yea I think your right on this. Not sure personally why 30% but that’s the financial advice I got from two independent advisors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

banstick39 wrote: »
    Hello, i am not a usual poster to forums, but i was laid off last month, due to the covid 19 my employer stated was no work, i am now on the covid 19 pandemic payment, but today my employer has decided he needs me back to work, but is only offering 3 hours a week at minimum wage at a time outside the normal business opening time accepting this will cut me off from the pandemic payment i would assume, and the tone of the email giving me the 3hrs was hinting that if i did not accept they would interfeer with my entitlement to the pandemic payment, do i have any rights to refuse this dismal offer of 30 euros worth of work ( which will cost me 10 euro to drive there) per week, the offer was for 3hr a week until september.

As someone in a similar situation, got a call last week saying employer wanted me to do a week on, 2 weeks off .....so I contacted welfare on Monday to inform them, and I was told I need to sign off Covid and sign back on after the Friday work was finished.
    halfway through the week, employer changed their mind and I ended out informing welfare on Wednesday that my supposed week is now going to be 3 days every 2 weeks, welfare (on phone) said to reapply for Covid but I had to bring a paper form into welfare office and letter from employer outlining new employment situation, fast forward to Friday (today - welfare office was closed yesterday so I had to wait till today) and the welfare office say I don’t qualify for covid and need to apply for jobseekers part payment...so for the foreseeable... I’m getting nothing.

My advice for you is ...let sleeping dogs lie, if you can help your boss out ...do it, despite the money issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭lughildanach

It's reduced after 12 weeks to standard JSB/JSA

There has been no announcement of any such thing. The indications have been that the current arrangements will be extended. It is possible that they will be tapered at some stage, but they have not confirmed this.

Of course, anything could happen and people should not bank on the 350 being extended until the restrictions are fully lifted, but it is entirely possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

CramCycle wrote: »
    But you won't earn that amount over the year. If you are not in work for 3 months, then you will earn only 3/4 of this for the year. That is, your tax to that point in the year has been higher than it needed to be (if you knew what was coming). For those who are earning so much that they will be back in the 50% tax bracket if they get back to work in 3 months, then their wages will more than cover any possible tax on the payment. If you are earning €350 a week anyway, thats €18200 a year, and your weekly wage would be €340, so at worse you will pay €10 for each week you recieve it, as you earn more, your wages will increase and you will be better situated to absorb the taxes from your wages. You will more than likely have overpaid your taxes anyway as you will have been paying taxes with the implication that you would be earning that amount all year, which you won't have been.

Long story short, I wouldn't be overconcerned, there will be a very small group of people who will owe money back if they don't restart work, which will be sorted when they do their P21. People who do get back to work, will have it sorted as part of their taxes in their new job.
    Of course.
    The only people who will have to pay tax on the 350 is if they restart work before end of year, and if the tax paid in the part of the year before covid doesnt cover it. As you outlined.

As I say, it's just a provision, something to be aware of.

There has been no announcement of any such thing. The indications have been that the current arrangements will be extended. It is possible that they will be tapered at some stage, but they have not confirmed this.

Of course, anything could happen and people should not bank on the 350 being extended until the restrictions are fully lifted, but it is entirely possible.
    It says it clearly here that after 12 weeks you need to apply for JSA/B
    https://services.mywelfare.ie/en/topics/covid-19-payments/covid-19-pandemic-unemployment-payment/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 Turbofocus

Leo announced last Friday on late late show that he things the pandemic payment will have to be extented as they cannot pull the rig from under people until their area of work is allowed to reopen /operate.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

12 weeks is till when, end of may? I think looking at the plans, we will be back up and running (with adequate restrictions/distancing) in July. I suppose, with that in mind, it would make sense to extend to July.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

I went be back till August at the earliest. Be interesting to see if they reduce the 350. I've also requested that my tax credits be transferred over to the wife, as she's still working.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭lughildanach

It says it clearly here that after 12 weeks you need to apply for JSA/B
    https://services.mywelfare.ie/en/topics/covid-19-payments/covid-19-pandemic-unemployment-payment/

And it initially said 6 weeks. The indication from government is that the additional supports will be extended. How this will be done and for how long is anyone's guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

Probably mentioned before in here but that €350 will be considered later in the year come tax returns time so is possible try to hold 30% of it asside so that you're not caught short for it if revenue come asking

20 to 40% - depending on earnings when (if) returning to work .
    Some example calculations here -
    http://www.moneyguideireland.com/taxation-of-the-covid-unemployment-payment.html

• Registered Users Posts: 14 vegass13

Did everyone get their payment today? Nothing yet and it's usually there by that time. I'm with AIB

Yeah got mine in this morning with bank of Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 6,080 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

No problems here either with BOI.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭monty_python

No problems with aib here

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Jess2019

My partner was placed on the subsidy scheme, taken off it and returned to work on full pay for two weeks, then put on €350 unemployment scheme. His head is all over the place. He’s been told he is still employed by the company and this is temporary. But we don’t know should he cut his losses and look for another job or hang around.
    Anyone in a similar situation?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,254 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Jess2019 wrote: »
    My partner was placed on the subsidy scheme, taken off it and returned to work on full pay for two weeks, then put on €350 unemployment scheme. His head is all over the place. He’s been told he is still employed by the company and this is temporary. But we don’t know should he cut his losses and look for another job or hang around.
    Anyone in a similar situation?

Id stick with the €350 for now if the employer said its only temporary,wont be easy finding work now as most people are still waiting to go back anyway, of course there will be a lot that will have nothing to go back too, i would just hang on for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Notmything

Finished work yesterday, company did not extend my contract as less work due to crisis.

Have applied for the pandemic payment but wondering how it will work as I get paid monthly so the wages I get for working up to yesterday won't be issued until next month. So they will clash with the pandemic payment if I get it.

Do I need to wait until I get paid next month to claim?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭kerryjack

Notmything wrote: »
    Finished work yesterday, company did not extend my contract as less work due to crisis.

Have applied for the pandemic payment but wondering how it will work as I get paid monthly so the wages I get for working up to yesterday won't be issued until next month. So they will clash with the pandemic payment if I get it.

Do I need to wait until I get paid next month to claim?
    Do it online now I think Thursday is the deadline to get paid Tuesday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

Bit of a long one, hopefully the minds in here might be able to point me in the right direction.

Self employed with effectively two employers (mon-fri and every Sunday).
    Mon-fri job stopped mid march - applied for and started receiving covid19 payment of €350 a week.

Towards the end of April, mon-fri job say that I can work a week on a week off , I inform social welfare and advice given is to sign off covid payment at start of work week and re-sign on at the end of the week.... All going according to plan until, middle of the week employer says, instead of a week's work it's only going to be 3 days every second week.
    I contacted social welfare and was told to re-apply for covid payment, this application was rejected by social welfare and I was told because I'm in employment I have to apply for some other payment where I tell them what days I have worked.

I receive a letter from social welfare requesting bank statements, financial accounts for last year as well as details of my wife's bank accounts to be given within 7 days.
    That evening I received this letter, I received a phonecall, informing me that the local vet has contracted covid (I had brought the dog up because 2 teeth had fallen out in a short space of time, I was in with the vet for approx 30mins)

I asked the vet for what I should do, I phoned VHI nurseline, I phoned social welfare healthline ....advice I was given was to contact GP, next morning, phoned GP and was told to self isolate and she would order a test, .... Test done, results a few days later (negative) .... BUT .... I still have to self isolate and cannot work - because I may be transmitting it.... So I'm at home with family and now doc has posted social welfare covid19 payment sick cert.
    Can't post it to social welfare because I'm self isolating but have emailed it to them, and will post asap.

So ... Financially ... I'm in trouble, over the past 2 months I have earned about €500less per week than normal, so all the normal bills, loan repayments, mortgage etc have pushed me to over €3.5k overdrawn, I'm currently not receiving anything from anyone, and don't have much space on overdraft.

Phoned welfare yesterday and was told the person dealing with my file may be working from home or isn't in today... So leave a message and they will contact you shortly.

When I applied for covid19 initially I was told to apply for job seekers benefit and when I was reapplying for covid19 I was told to cancel the online application for the person in the office to process it.

I can't understand if I have been unfortunate to encounter incompetent people or just bad luck that the system isn't capable of dealing with my situation.

Any advice on what I should do is greatly appreciated.

If I'm correct, my current status is that I have applied for self isolating payment in the middle of applying for some other welfare payment (that welfare office suggested).

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Bit of a long one, hopefully the minds in here might be able to point me in the right direction.

Self employed with effectively two employers (mon-fri and every Sunday).
    Mon-fri job stopped mid march - applied for and started receiving covid19 payment of €350 a week.

Towards the end of April, mon-fri job say that I can work a week on a week off , I inform social welfare and advice given is to sign off covid payment at start of work week and re-sign on at the end of the week.... All going according to plan until, middle of the week employer says, instead of a week's work it's only going to be 3 days every second week.
    I contacted social welfare and was told to re-apply for covid payment, this application was rejected by social welfare and I was told because I'm in employment I have to apply for some other payment where I tell them what days I have worked.

I receive a letter from social welfare requesting bank statements, financial accounts for last year as well as details of my wife's bank accounts to be given within 7 days.
    That evening I received this letter, I received a phonecall, informing me that the local vet has contracted covid (I had brought the dog up because 2 teeth had fallen out in a short space of time, I was in with the vet for approx 30mins)

I asked the vet for what I should do, I phoned VHI nurseline, I phoned social welfare healthline ....advice I was given was to contact GP, next morning, phoned GP and was told to self isolate and she would order a test, .... Test done, results a few days later (negative) .... BUT .... I still have to self isolate and cannot work - because I may be transmitting it.... So I'm at home with family and now doc has posted social welfare covid19 payment sick cert.
    Can't post it to social welfare because I'm self isolating but have emailed it to them, and will post asap.

So ... Financially ... I'm in trouble, over the past 2 months I have earned about €500less per week than normal, so all the normal bills, loan repayments, mortgage etc have pushed me to over €3.5k overdrawn, I'm currently not receiving anything from anyone, and don't have much space on overdraft.

Phoned welfare yesterday and was told the person dealing with my file may be working from home or isn't in today... So leave a message and they will contact you shortly.

When I applied for covid19 initially I was told to apply for job seekers benefit and when I was reapplying for covid19 I was told to cancel the online application for the person in the office to process it.

I can't understand if I have been unfortunate to encounter incompetent people or just bad luck that the system isn't capable of dealing with my situation.

Any advice on what I should do is greatly appreciated.

If I'm correct, my current status is that I have applied for self isolating payment in the middle of applying for some other welfare payment (that welfare office suggested).

If there is a fcuk up you will get what is owed but unfortunately it's slow as they will need to go through yours proper.

It's a bit of a mess alright but there is no way they could pay you full payments for 2 jobs so you will be down no matter what.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭youtube!

Hi there.

I have been on the pandemic payment as a self employed person for 2 months now. Only today I found out from citizens information that my partner could apply in her own right for a Jobseekers Allownace, I asked on this very forum 2 months ago if she could do this but was told categorically no . For some reason that post has been removed obviously somebody realised it was wrong information but I must say it is really frustrating that she has missed out on almost 2 months of a payment because I was told it was not possible . Anyway she has applied now online so my question is how long does it generally take for the dept to process her claim? We have being surviving on my pandemoc payment and eating seriously into our savings.

youtube! wrote: »
    Hi there.

I have been on the pandemic payment as a self employed person for 2 months now. Only today I found out from citizens information that my partner could apply in her own right for a Jobseekers Allownace, I asked on this very forum a month ago if she could do this but was told categorically no . For some reason that post has been removed obviously somebody realised it was wrong information but I must say it is really frustrating that she has missed out on almost 2 months of a payment because I was told it was not possible . Anyway she has applied now online so my question is how long does it generally take for the dept to process her claim? We have being surviving on my pandemoc payment and eating seriously into our savings.

About 3 weeks at the moment I've been told for normal social welfare claim to be process pandemic payment is a lot faster.

Turbofocus wrote: »
    About 3 weeks at the moment I've been told for normal social welfare claim to be process pandemic payment is a lot faster.

Hey thanks for your quick reply so she applied today do you know will it be backdated from the application date or just when they get around to it?

youtube! wrote: »
    Hey thanks for your quick reply so she applied today do you know will it be backdated from the application date or just when they get around to it?

Yes it will be backdated to the date the application was made.

• Advertisement

Turbofocus wrote: »
    Yes it will be backdated to the date the application was made.

Great ! Many thanks.

Advertisement