Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corona virus and social protection

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭ATC110

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Great, surprisingly no one has thought to create a thread for self employed facing these difficulties

I've just created a thread for the self-employed

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=114026350#post114026350

• Registered Users Posts: 26,978 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

ATC110 wrote: »

Fair play, there's alot of self employed facing hurdles with reduced payments, hopefully they will get together to help one another :)

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Snow_White1987

ATC110 wrote: »

Thank you, this is very helpful :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Segundo Volanante

Quick question

My mum is into week 10 of the 12 weekly payments - she got the full 350 for the first 8, then reduced to 203 for the past 2 weeks.

As she works in a school and won't be returning until at least september, when the 12 payments run out will she have to apply for jobseekers seperately or will there continue to be a payment for her?

Thanks

Quick question

My mum is into week 10 of the 12 weekly payments - she got the full 350 for the first 8, then reduced to 203 for the past 2 weeks.

As she works in a school and won't be returning until at least september, when the 12 payments run out will she have to apply for jobseekers seperately or will there continue to be a payment for her?

Thanks

Assuming the PUP ends on August 10th, from what I have read, she will have to apply for JSA separately.

I've seen a few posts on here where some have been advised to apply for the JSA now as it takes a few weeks to get the applications looked at.

It may be a different story depending on what the government announce in the next couple of weeks (presumably they'll confirm the PUP will end on X date and the steps to take if you're still out of work), but if I were your mum, I'd apply for the JSA now, to be on the safe side, so she isn't stuck if they choose to abruptly end the PUP.

• Advertisement

Assuming the PUP ends on August 10th, from what I have read, she will have to apply for JSA separately.

I've seen a few posts on here where some have been advised to apply for the JSA now as it takes a few weeks to get the applications looked at.

It may be a different story depending on what the government announce in the next couple of weeks (presumably they'll confirm the PUP will end on X date and the steps to take if you're still out of work), but if I were your mum, I'd apply for the JSA now, to be on the safe side, so she isn't stuck if they choose to abruptly end the PUP.

Just to add, it's pretty much certain THE PUP will continue but the government hinting it will be gradually reduced, also I've seen posts from people who've applied for JSA only to be put on PUP, I can't be sure but it seems they are focusing on awarding pup over JSA at the moment. There will be an announcement on Monday next so a week may not make a difference. Either way the only thing for sure is pup won't end suddenly so a return to work in September might suggest hold off doing anything, just a humble thought

Just to add, it's pretty much certain THE PUP will continue but the government hinting it will be gradually reduced, also I've seen posts from people who've applied for JSA only to be put on PUP, I can't be sure but it seems they are focusing on awarding pup over JSA at the moment. There will be an announcement on Monday next so a week may not make a difference. Either way the only thing for sure is pup won't end suddenly so a return to work in September might suggest hold off doing anything, just a humble thought

Interesting RE JSA, I suppose it makes sense given that the PUP payment comes through much quicker than the JSA.

Be interesting to see what the government announce next week.

Interesting RE JSA, I suppose it makes sense given that the PUP payment comes through much quicker than the JSA.

Be interesting to see what the government announce next week.

Yes I was surprised to see these posts and initially thought it was an error but the posters confirmed etc. My gut feeling is for anyone concern is to hold off until Monday, can you imagine the stress of having to put in additional claim only to be told your staying on pup

Thanks for that :-) can she apply online or go to her local Intreo office?

Thanks for that :-) can she apply online or go to her local Intreo office?

Please look again at my additional post above, hold off just yet

• Advertisement

Please look again at my additional post above, hold off just yet

Gotcha

Thanks for the information, really appreciated :-)

Gotcha

Thanks for the information, really appreciated :-)

No problem, with your mum expecting a September return and the payment looking like it will be extended but reduced in time, she might be better off waiting. We'll all know more on Monday with the July stimulus plan being announced

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭ATC110

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭michael jay

Has anyone got an email back from the Puperate at all? im waiting over a week,

Has anyone got an email back from the Puperate at all? im waiting over a week,

I’m waiting almost two weeks, with some almost three without a word yet - we’re in for a long wait I think!

I’m waiting almost two weeks, with some almost three without a word yet - we’re in for a long wait I think!

It's as if they actually don't know what to do. Barely a mention of this debacle on mainstream or social media and certainly no mention of it on THE DEASP website, pretty shocking

It's as if they actually don't know what to do. Barely a mention of this debacle on mainstream or social media and certainly no mention of it on THE DEASP website, pretty shocking

Totally agree. Part of me thinks they haven’t actually told anyone they were successful yet because they don’t know how to implement the higher rates again or actually sort out money owed - it’s as if they thought few would actually appeal their cut and they are shocked that so many have without a clue what to do!

I’ve sent 4 emails at this stage and rang the helpline repeatedly and no one can tell me anything so there’s literally nothing more I can do.

Totally agree. Part of me thinks they haven’t actually told anyone they were successful yet because they don’t know how to implement the higher rates again or actually sort out money owed - it’s as if they thought few would actually appeal their cut and they are shocked that so many have without a clue what to do!

I’ve sent 4 emails at this stage and rang the helpline repeatedly and no one can tell me anything so there’s literally nothing more I can do.

Keep the faith, keep the paperwork, I'm sure it will be resolved soon. Next week some big announcements, will be interesting, I think the decision to delay final phase of opening Bars/Nightclubs etc has put a major spanner in the works

• Registered Users Posts: 17 amd1982

Has anybody actually heard back from the PUPRerate section ? 3 weeks yesterday since sent and nothing back yet helpline keeps saying the same thing that there is a backlog

amd1982 wrote: »
    Has anybody actually heard back from the PUPRerate section ? 3 weeks yesterday since sent and nothing back yet helpline keeps saying the same thing that there is a backlog

Some self employed have heard back confirming reduced rate correct based on earnings for 2018, some employees also stating reduced rate correct. Its beginning to look like if you haven't heard back it's a good thing and perhaps they are working on a fix on how to reinstate full payment (only a guess mind you)

• Advertisement

amd1982 wrote: »

In the exact same boat - not a word yet (sent 3 weeks ago) and they say the same thing on the helpline...

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭michael jay

In the exact same boat - not a word yet (sent 3 weeks ago) and they say the same thing on the helpline...

same as
    only got the auto reply on the last email so ill leave it, maybe drop an email to local td if it goes on much longer

same as
    only got the auto reply on the last email so ill leave it, maybe drop an email to local td if it goes on much longer

I got no automatic reply!

They have said on the helpline you have to get a reply, so it seems to be a waiting game.

I’m hoping the longer it goes on without hearing a word, the better it might be - lots have been refused so far but no successful appeals it seems... Maybe that’s next!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 amd1982

They have said on the helpline you have to get a reply, so it seems to be a waiting game.

I’m hoping the longer it goes on without hearing a word, the better it might be - lots have been refused so far but no successful appeals it seems... Maybe that’s next!

Fingers crossed no news at the min is good news but not waiting too much longer !

Fingers crossed

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭edwardkiley

just wondering if revenue contacts your employer about the COVID 19 payment to make sure everything checks out about what you are saying?

Does anyone have experience with this?

just wondering if revenue contacts your employer about the COVID 19 payment to make sure everything checks out about what you are saying?

Does anyone have experience with this?

I'm assuming that their primary source of information is Revenue in terms of earnings or lack of. DEASP will have employer details also and they could if required contact them. The eligibility criteria everyone had to complete will form part of any checks they want to do but the main thing I think is being able to verify claimants are not earning. As an aside, there's as many on PUP that have actually been let go fully as there is currently laid off so it's hard to know what the checks will be.

It won't be revenue contacting employers, it will be DEASP if they so choose

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭edwardkiley

I'm assuming that their primary source of information is Revenue in terms of earnings or lack of. DEASP will have employer details also and they could if required contact them. The eligibility criteria everyone had to complete will form part of any checks they want to do but the main thing I think is being able to verify claimants are not earning. As an aside, there's as many on PUP that have actually been let go fully as there is currently laid off so it's hard to know what the checks will be.

It won't be revenue contacting employers, it will be DEASP if they so choose

would the DEASP ever contact your employer to make sure you are still not employed by them?

have you ever heard of anything like this happening?

I am concerned my emplyer might not approve of me being on it even though I am currently not employed by them

Anyone have any advice,

I currently work as a contractor in the courts, but an email last night says courts are going into vacation sittings only, which means... I'm out of the job from Monday.

What do I do? From reading online I can't understand what to do, I'm not sure I qualify for anything, will be getting in touch with welfare office on Monday to seek advice ... I haven't been told to self isolate, my boss hasn't even contacted me with regards the email indicating the courts will be on vacation mode , I got the email from a co-worker.

This is unusual, would you not be enttledi to holiday pay, courts always close for summer recess. Are you saying you are being let go temporarily? If so possibly JSA would apply, short hours payment may not.

Your predicament does not appear on the surface to be related to Covid-19 but without fully understanding your situation hard to advise.

• Advertisement

would the DEASP ever contact your employer to make sure you are still not employed by them?

have you ever heard of anything like this happening?

I am concerned my emplyer might not approve of me being on it even though I am currently not employed by them

Both unemployed and temp laid off employees affected as a result of Covid-19 are covered under pup eligin criteria, I don't think you need to worry, DEASP are entitled to contact any employer but this would normally occur say if you were claiming normal JSA/JSB as you can be penalised for a number of weeks for leaving a job. The PUP is slightly different however there is a caveat, if you refuse to return to work, you could loose payment, this scenario does not seem to rise in your case, employers don't give a damn re what you do after leaving or have been let go to be honest.

Advertisement