Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corona virus and social protection

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

What is happening with the covid payment in August. It's two and a half weeks until the 10th of August and don't know if I should be applying for jobseeker's at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,978 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

What is happening with the covid payment in August. It's two and a half weeks until the 10th of August and don't know if I should be applying for jobseeker's at this stage.

Still waiting for the governments juky stimulus plan which is due to be announced this week. There has been hints the PUP and TWSS will be extended and the PUP reducing in autum. It's all heresay at the moment but one thing for sure, it won't end suddenly, hopefully news tomorrow /Friday

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Still waiting for the governments juky stimulus plan which is due to be announced this week. There has been hints the PUP and TWSS will be extended and the PUP reducing in autum. It's all heresay at the moment but one thing for sure, it won't end suddenly, hopefully news tomorrow /Friday

Dempo1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 MonkeySpanner

I've been on Illness Benefit since Janaury. Just found out my job is closing and I'm being made redundant.

Can I sign up to the PUP or do I not qualify because I was on illness benefit? I've been able to manage my illness with medication and was hoping to go back to work in the coming weeks.

I've been on Illness Benefit since Janaury. Just found out my job is closing and I'm being made redundant.

Can I sign up to the PUP or do I not qualify because I was on illness benefit? I've been able to manage my illness with medication and was hoping to go back to work in the coming weeks.

There was an issue regarding anyone on illness or maternity prior to PUP starting but that has since been resolved. As you are being made redundant because of the Pandemic crisis, my instinct is you would be entitled to PUP, however as you are on an existing welfare payment you would need to get advice from the department as it says on their website you can't be on another benifit and claim PUP. Further to this, I'd assume you would need doctor to sign you off illnesses. It would help if you bring proof of redundancy with you. Finally it's been announced today the 17th September will be the cut off date for PUP, Good luck and sorry to hear about redundancy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭kerryjack

When is next rate change happening reading it there on rte but can't see a date on it

kerryjack wrote: »
    When is next rate change happening reading it there on rte but can't see a date on it

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0723/1155101-pandemic-unemployment-payment/

All the details here, no date yet on rate changes but looks like September

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭kerryjack

Ok thanks no date yet so

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Snow_White1987

I'm sorry to hear you've been ill.

Certain SW benefit payments you can be on and claim PUP (Disability Allowance, Carer's Allowance and Widow's Pension) but I'm not sure about Illness Benefit.

I'd ring the PUP Helpine and they should be able to advise.

Does anyone know if there's a time limit on the Covid19 PUP payment? It was originally 12 weeks.

So do I only get the payment for 12 weeks? Or do I stay on it until next April as the payment is being extended.

• Advertisement

Does anyone know if there's a time limit on the Covid19 PUP payment? It was originally 12 weeks.

So do I only get the payment for 12 weeks? Or do I stay on it until next April as the payment is being extended.

Just curious, do you watch the news?

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0723/1155101-pandemic-unemployment-payment/

Payment being extended but reducing from late September, no date yet. I'd hope by April next things will have improved.

There maybe more information sought by the department, eligibility checks etc but as it stands, payment continues, we await any instructions etc

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭spoonerhead

Does anyone know if PUP payments will continue for full time students? Any who return to college in September, normally wouldn’t qualify for job seekers so is there any guidance around this?

My friend in currently on the €350, judging today’s news he can sit now on the Covid payment which will decrease gradually for a full college year.

Does anyone know if PUP payments will continue for full time students? Any who return to college in September, normally wouldn’t qualify for job seekers so is there any guidance around this?

My friend in currently on the €350, judging today’s news he can sit now on the Covid payment which will decrease gradually for a full college year.

To be honest PUP was not introduced to help students, it was for those who lost their Jobs, Part time jobs or were laid off as a result of the Covid19 lockdown and subsequent economic crisis. I'd have to assume anyone returning to full time studies would loose the payment, the rules are quite clear, I'm only guessing but I'm sure there will be further eligibility checks done, especially for part time employees and I might add of student age etc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

To be honest PUP was not introduced to help students, it was for those who lost their Jobs, Part time jobs or were laid off as a result of the Covid19 lockdown and subsequent economic crisis. I'd have to assume anyone returning to full time studies would loose the payment, the rules are quite clear, I'm only guessing but I'm sure there will be further eligibility checks done, especially for part time employees and I might add of student age etc

I think students will stay on, they specfically mention The payment also applies if you are:
    a student (or a non-EU/EEA student) who has lost employment due to the COVID-19 pandemic

So i dont think they will treat them differently and will expect students to get a job as soon as possible. There are always going to be people who take advantage of it though, so unless they change the application rules I can't see it changing.

I think students will stay on, they specfically mention The payment also applies if you are:
    a student (or a non-EU/EEA student) who has lost employment due to the COVID-19 pandemic

So i dont think they will treat them differently and will expect students to get a job as soon as possible. There are always going to be people who take advantage of it though, so unless they change the application rules I can't see it changing.

Yes, if you read it again "lost employment" is the bit I'd be concerned about, you could be correct but full time students are normally not able to claim SW payments, but I do accept PUP is quite unique. I hope students can continue getting it but I have my suspicions that they will fine tune this payment. My point is directed at Full time students

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Yes, if you read it again "lost employment" is the bit I'd be concerned about, you could be correct but full time students are normally not able to claim SW payments, but I do accept PUP is quite unique. I hope students can continue getting it but I have my suspicions that they will fine tune this payment. My point is directed at Full time students

Thats what I was thinking too, its just the fact the singled out students is making me think they will still be able to claim. A lot of students do work part time to pay for rent etc so I feel thats what they mean by it anyway. Impossible to find any retail jobs atm :(

Thats what I was thinking too, its just the fact the singled out students is making me think they will still be able to claim. A lot of students do work part time to pay for rent etc so I feel thats what they mean by it anyway. Impossible to find any retail jobs atm :(

Good point, impossible to get part time work at the moment and full time roles few and far between. I guess students will know soon and I do hope everyone currently on the PUP will continue to get the support needed, it's going to be quite some time before a recovery and let's not forget 400k people are seperatly having wages subsidised, without this I suspect a lot more would be on pup.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Jambonjunior

I applied for the covid payment in June, mywelfare says that the claim is successful from that date, I recieved my first payment today but it was just for one week. Is that normal? Are the backpayments delayed?

I applied for the covid payment in June, mywelfare says that the claim is successful from that date, I recieved my first payment today but it was just for one week. Is that normal? Are the backpayments delayed?

That's quite extraordinary, applications normally took a week, maybe 2, in relation to back payments, yes its been widely reported with such issues, some going back to March. I'd certainly contact them just clarify there is back payment owed but god knows when it will resolved. Shocking there still having this issue with new claims

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Sienna5050

Hi i have been on the lower rate of Pup and recieve Dissibility Allowance,as they seem to be changing the rules all the time they seem to now say you must be available and looking for full time work,but to recieve DA you must not be able to work full time which is why im in reciept of it ,does this mean i will loose the Pup payment ,and when will this happen

• Advertisement

Sienna5050 wrote: »
    Hi i have been on the lower rate of Pup and recieve Dissibility Allowance,as they seem to be changing the rules all the time they seem to now say you must be available and looking for full time work,but to recieve DA you must not be able to work full time which is why im in reciept of it ,does this mean i will loose the Pup payment ,and when will this happen

Hi, I think this latest nonsense re the PUP should not affect your Disibility allowance at the moment but I'll be honest, they seem to be making up new rules when it suits them.

I'm curious if you don't mind me asking, I know some seperate SW payments are allowed with pup, how many hours are you able to work per week on your allowance, I've a dear friend struggling at the moment and may have to consider such an allowance,, feel free to PM me, thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭timetogo1

My missus has been receiving the payment as the business she owns went to the wall in March. The payments normally come in on a Tuesday. No sign today. She hasn't heard anything from them. Just checking if anybody know if this is usual (and just a delay) or does she need to get onto them.

timetogo1 wrote: »
    My missus has been receiving the payment as the business she owns went to the wall in March. The payments normally come in on a Tuesday. No sign today. She hasn't heard anything from them. Just checking if anybody know if this is usual (and just a delay) or does she need to get onto them.

Hmmm, curious, I'm not aware of any delay, mine came through as normal, can she log into her my welfare account, just to double check no messages etc, could be just a bank delay

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Sienna5050

Hi, I think this latest nonsense re the PUP should not affect your Disibility allowance at the moment but I'll be honest, they seem to be making up new rules when it suits them.

I'm curious if you don't mind me asking, I know some seperate SW payments are allowed with pup, how many hours are you able to work per week on your allowance, I've a dear friend struggling at the moment and may have to consider such an allowance,, feel free to PM me, thank you

iIT wont affect my DA as such,i was asking does anyone kmow if il loose the PUP,its hard to budget when it changes all the time.
    WITH regards to how many hoursyou can work on DA i believe there is no limit but a cap on how much you can earn before you loose it ,i was only doing 13 hours before Corona hit and lost my job .
    Its a very difficult payment to get .

it wont affect my DA ,i was asking does anyone kmow if il loose the PUP,its hard to budget when it changes all the time.
    WITH regards to how many hours i believe there is no limit but a cap on how much you can earn before you loose it ,i was only doing 13 hours before Corona hit .
    Its a very difficult payment to get .

Sorry meant the other way around, I don't think your PUP payment will be affected for the time being

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Snow_White1987

To my knowledge, being on DA and the PUP will not affect your DA (SW said at the beginning that you could be on certain payments, such as DA, Carer's Allowence and Widow's Pension and still apply for the PUP).

Specifically, you are allowed to be on the DA and work so therefore, you could still have lost work (even part time) and need to claim the PUP.

It says here:

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/covid19_and_social_welfare.html#l9c4d8

"If you lose your job or your hours at work are reduced
    If your income is a mixture of both earnings from employment and a social welfare payment and you lose your job because of the COVID-19 public health emergency, you can apply for the new COVID-19 Pandemic Unemployment Payment."

And also on Gov.ie (last updated June 11th):

https://www.gov.ie/en/press-release/3baec-minister-doherty-announces-pandemic-unemployment-payment-to-continue/#:~:text=Workers%20in%20receipt%20of%20both,their%20underlying%20social%20welfare%20entitlement.

"Workers in receipt of both employment income and social welfare payments (e.g. carers who work, people on Disability Allowance who work, recipients of the Working Family Payment and the One-Parent Family payment) receive, and will continue to receive PUP in addition to their underlying social welfare entitlement."

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭ATC110

Received a written reply today, postmarked Waterford, to my request for a review of the weekly rate.

The outcome of the review is I will remain on the lower rate.

It explicitly states "under PUP rating rules, self-employed incomes can only be examined in respect of the 2018 year and the income figures used by the Department for PUP (and all other schemes) is always the figure after capital allowances and deductible business expenses".

There is no return address on the letter and it's signed the "PUP Rerate Team".

There is also no invitation to submit 2019 tax return details.

Has anyone had a similar letter or have they been invited to submit 2019 details?

ATC110 wrote: »
    Received a written reply today, postmarked Waterford, to my request for a review of the weekly rate.

The outcome of the review is I will remain on the lower rate.

It explicitly states "under PUP rating rules, self-employed incomes can only be examined in respect of the 2018 year and the income figures used by the Department for PUP (and all other schemes) is always the figure after capital allowances and deductible business expenses".

There is no return address on the letter and it's signed the "PUP Rerate Team".

There is also no invitation to submit 2019 tax return details.

Has anyone had a similar letter or have they been invited to submit 2019 details?

Replied in other thread but 2019 figures only being considered by gov, no decision on this yet

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭edwardkiley

Hi
    Does anyone know if employers or employees will have to pay an amount of money back to the state for the PUP paid out?

• Advertisement

Hi
    Does anyone know if employers or employees will have to pay an amount of money back to the state for the PUP paid out?

Morning, nothing is set in stone yet as such, there's been hints Revenue will come up with a solution so people don't get hammered, ideas include looking at any possible tax credits owed, my guess and its only a guess, there will be flexibility with no major shocks.

As both PUP and TWSS are not taxed at source, there will be some liability, as regards employers, I'm not sure but I assume employers PRSI contributions will be looked at re TWSS

Advertisement