Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corona virus and social protection

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭tritriagain

I was made redundant in Feb before pup. I started a new job on August . Will I be entitled to pup now if company closes

• Registered Users Posts: 26,978 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I was made redundant in Feb before pup. I started a new job on August . Will I be entitled to pup now if company closes

Sorry to hear that. I've just checked criteria and it's been updated, looks like they've removed the initial criteria re in employment from early March, so maybe?

EDIT, keep in mind, payment rate determined on earnings from 2019 and or Jan/Feb 2020
    Link here

https://www.gov.ie/en/service/be74d3-covid-19-pandemic-unemployment-payment/#rate-of-payment

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭tritriagain

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that. I've just checked criteria and it's been updated, looks like they've removed the initial criteria re in employment from early March, so maybe?

EDIT, keep in mind, payment rate determined on earnings from 2019 and or Jan/Feb 2020
    Link here

https://www.gov.ie/en/service/be74d3-covid-19-pandemic-unemployment-payment/#rate-of-payment

Thanks for that.its what I thought but just wanted to double check.

Thanks for that.its what I thought but just wanted to double check.

No problem, I was actually surprised at the updated criteria on the 14th October, makes alot of sense as a lot have lost jobs or have been laid off since March and initial criteria very unfair on those affected from mid March onwards. Good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Don't forget the tax as these payments will be most likely next year.....

Something to be aware about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,685 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

Was made redundant on Aug 8th due to a lack of work available. Applied for JSA immediately. Still have received no response to my application 2 months later despite numerous e-mails. At first I got automated responses but now I get nothing at all. Did I make a mistake in not applying for PUP at the time and could I apply for it now?

Don't forget the tax as these payments will be most likely next year.....

Something to be aware about.

Yes indeed but it's likely to be spread out over a decent period of time so I wouldn't anticipate any shocks in Jan

Yes indeed but it's likely to be spread out over a decent period of time so I wouldn't anticipate any shocks in Jan

Revenue, the hit will be over the year or so. Still something people will get a shock especially on the higher payment.

Schwiiing wrote: »
    Was made redundant on Aug 8th due to a lack of work available. Applied for JSA immediately. Still have received no response to my application 2 months later despite numerous e-mails. At first I got automated responses but now I get nothing at all. Did I make a mistake in not applying for PUP at the time and could I apply for it now?

This is really tricky, the criteria was only updated on the 14th October, technically when you applied for JSA in Aug, you wouldn't have qualified for PUP, but now it seems you may, this is further complicated by you already applying for JSA and whilst not yet sorted (which is extraordinary by the way), you can't have 2 SW standard unemployment benefits. My best advice is to immediately clarify WTF is going on with the JSA and are you now entitled to PUP, I'd assume if you are, the JSA Application would if it can be closed, there is another complication however, when and if JSA Approved it should be back dated, if claim closed you coukd potentially forfeit that substantial back payment.

Have you received nothing since you finished your job, this is extraordinary?

You realky need to contact them and think carefully given your issue with JSA delays. This benifit should take no more than 4 weeks to be processed.

Revenue, the hit will be over the year or so. Still something people will get a shock especially on the higher payment.

It's actually been suggested over 4 years and also credits owed etc will be considered when working out liability

• Advertisement

It's actually been suggested over 4 years and also credits owed etc will be considered when working out liability

Didn't hear that, probably no choice as so many will be out of work and unable to pay.

Didn't hear that, probably no choice as so many will be out of work and unable to pay.

The people who really should worry are those on the highest TWSS Scheme. It's going to be an interesting few months ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭ATC110

The PUP was flagged as taxable from the outset, which is patently obvious anyway as it’s income, so what is the issue apropos the tax owed?

If anyone treated it as a net payment and spent it all they were extremely foolish

This is really tricky, the criteria was only updated on the 14th October, technically when you applied for JSA in Aug, you wouldn't have qualified for PUP, but now it seems you may, this is further complicated by you already applying for JSA and whilst not yet sorted (which is extraordinary by the way), you can't have 2 SW standard unemployment benefits. My best advice is to immediately clarify WTF is going on with the JSA and are you now entitled to PUP, I'd assume if you are, the JSA Application would if it can be closed, there is another complication however, when and if JSA Approved it should be back dated, if claim closed you coukd potentially forfeit that substantial back payment.

Have you received nothing since you finished your job, this is extraordinary?

You realky need to contact them and think carefully given your issue with JSA delays. This benifit should take no more than 4 weeks to be processed.

Is this because I applied for JSA or because I simply wasn't entitled to PUP?

ATC110 wrote: »
    The PUP was flagged as taxable from the outset, which is patently obvious anyway as it’s income, so what is the issue apropos the tax owed?

If anyone treated it as a net payment and spent it all they were extremely foolish

I don't think any issue was raised apart from a friendly reminder????

Absolutely not, there is something seriously wrong with this inordinate delay. You correctly applied for JSA as at the time that was the entitlement.

Did you ring your local social welfare office? They’re best placed to help you.

Did you ring your local social welfare office? They’re best placed to help you.

Usually engaged as is the 1800 helpline number.

Usually engaged as is the 1800 helpline number.

I’d keep ringing. Make sure that you’ve got the right number for your local office. It’s unusual for them to be engaged as they’d have numerous lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 puconfused

Hello,
    Was on JSA until mid july - got a part time job then until a week or so ago when new restrictions came in and lost it. Applied for the PUP payment. Got a message saying I didn't get it as there was no record of me working, any idea if this is an oversight/mistake and I should just provide payslips/etc? Would they not have access to that info via Revenue? thanks

• Advertisement

puconfused wrote: »
    Hello,
    Was on JSA until mid july - got a part time job then until a week or so ago when new restrictions came in and lost it. Applied for the PUP payment. Got a message saying I didn't get it as there was no record of me working, any idea if this is an oversight/mistake and I should just provide payslips/etc? Would they not have access to that info via Revenue? thanks

The criteria has not changed in relation to previous earning for the entire year 2019 and or Jan/Feb 2020. Do you have earnings for these periods? If not, that's probably the reason

• Registered Users Posts: 2 puconfused

The criteria has not changed in relation to previous earning for the entire year 2019 and or Jan/Feb 2020. Do you have earnings for these periods? If not, that's probably the reason
    Thank you, that's probably it! Seems silly it's not mentioned on the main sites though gov.ie/en/publication/f763ad-what-if-i-havent-received-a-payment-as-expected/

I was working in the UK then, no way that could help qualify for it? I know some contributions might count sometimes here and vice versa? (Lost job in the UK due to covid so came home - then the covid payment requires your last job to be in Ireland)

Thank you, that's probably it! Seems silly it's not mentioned on the main sites though gov.ie/en/publication/f763ad-what-if-i-havent-received-a-payment-as-expected/

I was working in the UK then, no way that could help qualify for it? I know some contributions might count sometimes here and vice versa? (Lost job in the UK due to covid so came home - then the covid payment requires your last job to be in Ireland)

Yes, sorry to be the bearer of bad news, the main site for PUP is on the SW site, take care :)

You should still be able to claim Unemployment Assistance, which is means tested. You can apply online.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭torrevieja

Can someone tell me when pup came out first everyone got €350, then they came out with a rule you had to have over €10,000 Net Pay,

then they said you had to have over €300 net to get €300,

Now there saying the payment is restored , to €350 a Week who had prior earnings ofover €400 a wweek or above, if u earning - €300 - €400 your payment becomes €300, earning between €200-€300 u get €250 etc, well this is were im confused is this money you must earn as Gross or is Nett pay help me out here please

• Registered Users Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

I received my payment this morning after applying on October 8th. No update on the my mywelfare page yet though.

Dempo1, you're clearly a man in the know. Do you know when the €350 will be restored?

I received my payment this morning after applying on October 8th. No update on the my mywelfare page yet though.

Dempo1, you're clearly a man in the know. Do you know when the €350 will be restored?

Fantastic news, delighted for you. I'm no expert but I've followed this carefully and trends etc.

The 350 will be restored on payments being issued on the 27th of October for those entitled.

Great news, well done, its going to be bedlam with applications on Thursday morning

torrevieja wrote: »
    Can someone tell me when pup came out first everyone got €350, then they came out with a rule you had to have over €10,000 Net Pay,

then they said you had to have over €300 net to get €300,

Now there saying the payment is restored , to €350 a Week who had prior earnings ofover €400 a wweek or above, if u earning - €300 - €400 your payment becomes €300, earning between €200-€300 u get €250 etc, well this is were im confused is this money you must earn as Gross or is Nett pay help me out here please

Hi, the payment is based on Gross pay and worked out on an average weekly wage, working off earnings from 2019 and or Jan Feb 2020.

All that's changed now is those who earned over €400 gross per week will have full €350 restored and from payment made 27th of October next. I presume it will be automatic and no action required by claimants.

Edit, the criteria was slightly different for self employed, I noticed you mentioned €10k, other Thread helps with self employed questions

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭MintyMagnum

Do u need letter from employer for PUP claim?

• Advertisement

Do u need letter from employer for PUP claim?

This was not a requirement and I don't think this has changed. You'll just need employer name, address etc, pps number and your own per details. mywelfare account the easiest and quickest way to apply

Advertisement