Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Medical exam before contract - New hire

Options
  • 07-03-2020 3:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hi there, my friend is not familiar with the policies here. Has a new short term contract to sign with a pharmaceutical company. Passed all stages of interview and has documents finally emailed. However, in the email it said it is a condition to pass an appointment with a corporate health clinic. Just said "appointment".
    Nothing else, no details what's in it no instructions. She went there (no worries she's 100% clean and healthy person). It turned out had to fill out sheets of detailed health condition questions. Also they asked if she takes such and such drug and got urine tested. Then did the hearing, eye test, physical exam (heart, back, attention, even checked the stomach and teeth!), general questions, etc.

The question is, is it legal not to tell someone what tests are going to be done?

Also what is the point of assessing someone for a general office based job, what if for example the person has some physical issues (not the case), but would he/she not get offered the contract at the end?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Could be way off the mark but I understand these tests are generally performed for life insurance, which is generally offered as a perk or part of employment, and as part of being accepted into company-sponsored health insurance. Another possible reason is if you work with or in high risk jobs that would require you to be in good health with no history of substance abuse or dependency. But I've only ever seen that one for oil fields/rigs etc.

In future, your friend should ask before filling out forms and supplying samples. You are more than entitled to know what they are for and how they will be used. There is a difference between asking why they want something and refusing it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

offalymike wrote: »
    Also what is the point of assessing someone for a general office based job, what if for example the person has some physical issues (not the case), but would he/she not get offered the contract at the end?!

It's a pharma company, she won't be able to claim for a preexisting condition if she is exposed to something or other. Standard stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 offalymike

Thanks everyone, yes it is a pharmaceutical company. Office based job. She said there is a health policy package part of the offer. Not worried and passed everything. But it is strange not to tell the candidate what was going to be tested before going to the test, particularly the drug susbtances and urine. Also strange to go into the detail to check the eyes, heart pressure, ears...
    So other than the health policy, would they refuse a candidate if they have bad hearing, sight, any difficulties.
    It is really broad!! Saying it is a condition to pass the pre employment check. But nothing about which things may not make you pass, or at least no offer someone the health insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

They probably don’t tell you too much in advance in case you try to mask an illness or you stop taking drugs a few days before etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,544 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I don’t think they turn away people with conditions that can be controlled and not interfere with their jobs.

I certainly know people who’s medical turned up conditions they were unaware of and the company still hired them.

Failing drugs tests usually finishes any chances of a job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

The question is, is it legal not to tell someone what tests are going to be done?

I doubt there's a law about this.

Sure, if you have poor vision but not wearing glasses, they'd tell you that you need to glasses, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 offalymike

Thanks, yes the medical exam was detailed. In the US for example they even ask during the application and even before getting a job offer, "Are you ok with doing a drug test?" for example. Here there isn't this question, but as OMM 0000 mentioned above there might be no law about it to at least inform the candidate when they go. True some people may prepare somehow to pass such tests, but a notice in advance and also personal privacy is still crucial. They are not the police to really try to catch people positive and trick them!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

Yes I think it would be common courtesy to explain what the medical test will entail.

HR are usually useless bints though, so I'm not surprised they aren't making the effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,265 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

OMM 0000 wrote: »
    Yes I think it would be common courtesy to explain what the medical test will entail.

HR are usually useless bints though, so I'm not surprised they aren't making the effort.

100%. It’s not professional or even close to being professional for a company to not inform the employee what the nature of the medical exam will be.

I would think that...

The medical exam will include but may not be limited to...

- Blood test
    - lung capacity test
    - manual handling / weight bearing test
    - physical mobility examination
    - substance screening
    - ECG
    - interview regarding overall health, past / current conditions
    - questions you may have

Advertisement