Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House build cost: Are estimates based on internal floorspace or exteral space

Options
  • 07-03-2020 4:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

Potentially silly question...

When you see posts saying it costs, for example, €1500 per square meter to build a house, is that per square meter of internal floorspace or per square meter of total space the house takes up (inclusive of external walls)?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

It’s irrelevant as it’s just a beer may calculation to see if your expectations are in the ball park.

*but usually internal floor space. In Dublin, it’s €2k or there abouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭EagerBeaverton

Sorry should have clarified, it was more what the quotes refer to rather than the actual cost itself I was curious about.

We got a couple of ball park quotes over the phone directly from builders for a potential new build (not in Dublin) and I always thought the quotes were for the entire space the house took up inclusive of outer walls. Just dawned on me when reading a few posts today that the costs seem to typically refer to the internal floor space excluding outer walls which has a sizeable difference on total cost.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Sorry should have clarified, it was more what the quotes refer to rather than the actual cost itself I was curious about.

We got a couple of ball park quotes over the phone directly from builders for a potential new build (not in Dublin) and I always thought the quotes were for the entire space the house took up inclusive of outer walls. Just dawned on me when reading a few posts today that the costs seem to typically refer to the internal floor space excluding outer walls which has a sizeable difference on total cost.

You can’t build the inside floor area without the external walls so quoted should include them.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭EagerBeaverton

Gumbo wrote: »
    You can’t build the inside floor area without the external walls so quoted should include them.

Cheers, yeah we were only getting ballpark costs per m2 from builders rather than quotes on a full plan.

An example plan we have is 260m2 total space but is 210m2 internal floor space - that 50m2 in the difference would equate to up to €100k extra so that's why I wanted to double check!

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭SOPHIE THE DOG

Cheers, yeah we were only getting ballpark costs per m2 from builders rather than quotes on a full plan.

An example plan we have is 260m2 total space but is 210m2 internal floor space - that 50m2 in the difference would equate to up to €100k extra so that's why I wanted to double check!

Based on Gross Internal Floor Area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭scwazrh

Always internal floor space .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,584 ✭✭✭dubrov

Estate agents normally quote total area of the structure less the external walls.
    Internal walls don't count which makes sense as they can be removed in many cases.

In term of the estimates you hear, they will be on the low side. People like to brag about how cheap it was to build their house and conveniently like to leave out engineer, architect, council, water, electricity, landscaping fees plus work they did themselves.

Advertisement