Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scarifying and aeration lawn

Options
  • 07-03-2020 6:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭

Lawn is about 2000m2 and was done about 3 years ago.
    Full of moss and quite weak in parts with a lot of dead looking patches.
    Parts of it are compacted too I reckon, soil is fairly clayey as I found out when digging trenches for hedging!

I was going to scarify, aerate, seed and then rake a top dressing of compost into it (can get as much as I want for free).

Sound like a good plan? Is there any point aerating after scarifying?

Was going to rent a scarifier for weekend for €60 but aerator is €100 so was thinking of buying some sort of manual push one if they are any good?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Cal04

Interested in this too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭MaxPower89

Think I would just get the scarifier. My understanding is there needs to be a good amount of grass when aerating. You could scarify, top dress and overseed. Then leave for 3/4 weeks.

The compost might not be the best medium for spreading though? A buildup of thatch encourages moss and the lawn becomes spongy. A more sandy medium is good for drainage and combats thatch. The compost you have will hold onto water, I think you want the opposite?

2000sq/m is a fairly huge lawn, the cost of a good lawn topdressing mix could cost a fortune though. Pitchcare.ie are a good company worth checking out. Otherwise maybe you could order a lorry load of proper sports turf sand and ask someone with the machinery to spread it for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭glog

rodge123 wrote: »
    Lawn is about 2000m2 and was done about 3 years ago.
    Full of moss and quite weak in parts with a lot of dead looking patches.
    Parts of it are compacted too I reckon, soil is fairly clayey as I found out when digging trenches for hedging!

I was going to scarify, aerate, seed and then rake a top dressing of compost into it (can get as much as I want for free).

Sound like a good plan? Is there any point aerating after scarifying?

Was going to rent a scarifier for weekend for €60 but aerator is €100 so was thinking of buying some sort of manual push one if they are any good?

Just one word of warning, 2000sqm will produce a LOT of material when scarified.
    The easy part will be running the machine through it a few times.
    The hard part is after that !!
    I learned the hard way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭jamieh

I scarified my grass last week and plan on overseeding and applying Evergreen Complete (feed and weed). Is it best to apply the feed and weed now and then wait 4-5 weeks to overseed or vice versa?

Advertisement