Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sealing pipes openings in bathroom floor

• 07-03-2020 6:16pm

Hi all

Had some water damage from the bathroom so long story short I got new tiles, mini refurb. The tiler cut out slots in the tiles for the water and drain pipes under the bath which is normal. What i want to do is seal it as I have kids who love to splash water. I was thinking about getting gorilla tape in woodies for 15 and just placing a seal about the pipes incase water gets in. What are your thoughts?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Have you a picture as it's unclear from your description what the set up is. There shouldn't be much of a gap between tiles and pipes so silicone should be best which the tiler should have done as part of the grouting/sealing.

Have you a picture as it's unclear from your description what the set up is. There shouldn't be much of a gap between tiles and pipes so silicone should be best which the tiler should have done as part of the grouting/sealing.

Picture attached, def no filling done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

That's the floor tiles I'm presuming, unusual not to have a front panel to hide the underside of the bath and pipes and also prevent water from going underneath. As it is I'd just fill the gaps with white silicone, will give a much better seal than tape and look a lot tidier, will also allow for some flex/movement in the pipes as they expand/contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,138 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Silicone and a finger covered in warm soapy water

That's the floor tiles I'm presuming, unusual not to have a front panel to hide the underside of the bath and pipes and also prevent water from going underneath. As it is I'd just fill the gaps with white silicone, will give a much better seal than tape and look a lot tidier, will also allow for some flex/movement in the pipes as they expand/contract.

The panel will be put on tomorrow, I would like to seal all the openings before that though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,092 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

listermint wrote: »
    Silicone and a finger covered in warm soapy water
    +1. Those gaps are pretty tight. Silicon all the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,548 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

The panel will be put on tomorrow, I would like to seal all the openings before that though

Silicone is the answer as others have said but it is more important that the panel is fixed properly and sealed properly.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

Advertisement