Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teaching Council,are teachers bothering to vote?

• 07-03-2020 9:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭

That great money grabbing organisation,(no,not the Union(s) but the other one,the Teaching Council have an election where Union members,(us) are asked to vote for one or another Union Backed Candidate!
    Considering the Teaching Council was a great idea many years ago,to mirror the Nurses and their organisation that actually provides education,courses and other tuition for their members,we ,the Teachers ,just get a bill every year for €65:00,It was €95 once upon a time,things are now so bad that we have to print out our own Membership Card.........................and that great cash laden organisation does fcuk all for teachers,it was supposedly set up to look after teachers,it is very anti teacher if some people are to be believed.
    Infact another person told me it was another case of a Golden Circle! Do you know anyone who has served their time with the Teachers Unions and are now on the Teaching Council?
    They should be dis banded immediately and the millions they have paid back to teachers by way of providing subsidised courses or some form of Professional development.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 363 ✭✭cmssjone

Based on their 2018 accounts they have over 17 million in reserves. I do appreciate their lovely ezine that I’ve redirected into my spam folder and all the other ****e they send me. Makes me understand where my 65 euro fee goes...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,252 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Good coffee and fresh flowers await any peasant teacher who gets to see their offices. Marvellous group of people, not a mickey mouse quango, definitely not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 288 ✭✭CraftySue

Definitely not, no idea what they do for our €65, except be judge and jury in teacher complaints, how they are qualified for this I'm not sure. We had a union member in our staffroom pushing us to vote and who to vote for- it's just a cushy job for the boys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 180 ✭✭strawberrie

The teachers who go on the council are volunteering, they don't get paid for the job and keep their own positions up full time.
    They are very important as they advocate for the profession. Droichead and Cosán would be very different now if we didn't have teachers on the Council. We could be paying way more than 65 too. You are seriously underestimating the work previous teacher council members have done on our behalf. The vote is important!

CraftySue wrote: »
    Definitely not, no idea what they do for our €65, except be judge and jury in teacher complaints, how they are qualified for this I'm not sure. We had a union member in our staffroom pushing us to vote and who to vote for- it's just a cushy job for the boys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

I've received no prompt to vote, do I have to chase it up myself?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 180 ✭✭strawberrie

https://www.teachingcouncil.ie/en/Council-Elections-2020/Vote-Now/
    In some areas there were very few candidates and they were deemed elected straight away. Others get to vote.
    You can email them if you should have gotten a voting pin and didnt

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭paddy19

The teaching Council is no different from any of the other so called profession bodies, you know the usual suspects. the lawyers, doctors, consultants, accountants, pharmacists, architects, dentists, radiographers.

They are all essentially protection rackets.

There key function is look after their members and exclude as many outsiders as they can legally get away with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

In some areas there were very few candidates and they were deemed elected straight away. Others get to vote. You can email them if you should have gotten a voting pin and didnt

Ok thanks I'll check it out. Doesn't sound very transparent, everyone should be notified either way, whether someone is elected to their area or whether they have a vote. We shouldn't have to pursue it IMO, plenty of people wont be aware that they are eligible to vote/wont pursue it. I only know from this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I'll vote for a candidate who drops the re reg free and stops acting as a govt mouth piece

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,252 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

paddy19 wrote: »
    The teaching Council is no different from any of the other so called profession bodies, you know the usual suspects. the lawyers, doctors, consultants, accountants, pharmacists, architects, dentists, radiographers.

There key function is look after their members and exclude as many outsiders as they can legally get away with.

The TC look after their members?

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

Pauline nagle is a true trade unionist and worth a vote. I'm not a fan of this bull**** creating Quango. But we need effective reps to stop the desire to create more pointless paperwork and the trend of blaming teachers for parental failures by excusing all misbehavior.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Icsics

Bobtheman wrote: »
    Pauline nagle is a true trade unionist and worth a vote. I'm not a fan of this bull**** creating Quango. But we need effective reps to stop the desire to create more pointless paperwork and the trend of blaming teachers for parental failures by excusing all misbehavior.

Agreed & any opportunity we get to out one of our own on the quango we need to take

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

Icsics wrote: »
    Agreed & any opportunity we get to out one of our own on the quango we need to take

The problem really is not the teachers we get to vote into it. The problem is those outside our profession with an agenda to push.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Unfortunately teachers only get to elect a small proportion of the council. But we should absolutely take the opportunity to elect teachers who will represent our best interests as much as they can. I believe Droichead, and particularly Cosán, would be a far worse situation if it wasn't for the teacher representatives on the last council. I have voted for my union endorsed candidate.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

The problem really is not the teachers we get to vote into it. The problem is those outside our profession with an agenda to push.

We can only alter curriculum changes here and there. Particularly where it effects our terms and conditions. Thankfully one recent victory -History in JC even though from what I hear,the new curriculum is a ton of ****e but better a ****e history curriculum than none at all

Unfortunately teachers only get to elect a small proportion of the council. But we should absolutely take the opportunity to elect teachers who will represent our best interests as much as they can. I believe Droichead, and particularly Cosán, would be a far worse situation if it wasn't for the teacher representatives on the last council. I have voted for my union endorsed candidate.

Yeah, I believe the non teacher reps are pushing Cosàn hard.
    It's no coincidence that some people might gain from providing mandatory CPD to thousands of teachers. A whole industry ready to be launched.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭MacGyver007

Yeah, I believe the non teacher reps are pushing Cosàn hard.
    It's no coincidence that some people might gain from providing mandatory CPD to thousands of teachers. A whole industry ready to be launched.

In October 2018, the Teaching Council passed a motion adopting the view that there will be no link between CPD and registration. I understand that the teacher representatives worked very hard to get it through.

https://www.teachingcouncil.ie/en/News-Events/Latest-News/Cosan-Development-Process.html?fbclid=IwAR11xGoS99ebFqVFMSfXmNkOvLYuH88dlffljc6VNDMsbRWwD9xUM9-ip9M

This motion is a very good example of the teacher representatives working together towards a common goal for the profession.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭MacGyver007

Bobtheman wrote: »

I agree 100%. She has a proven track record of union activism and would be a great asset to the group of teacher representatives on the Teaching Council. She is running for the female voluntary secondary school seat in Ireland South.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,347 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Not interested. My relationship with the TC amounts to an annual ‘give us €65’ request. I grit my teeth and pay, and receive no other communications. All opt-outable and opted out of.

The only difference this quango has made to my professional practice is a reduction in my yearly income of €65.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭zero_

What's the point? You pay €65 a year to a group that has the authority to sack you.

Nearly as bad as the TUI. If a student makes a claim against you to the guards, they won't provide you with a solicitor. Waste of money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭History Queen

I've voted for Noel Cronin. Very active trade unionist and would absolutely fight for the teacher voice. He has a great track record within our union and ETB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I've voted for Noel Cronin. Very active trade unionist and would absolutely fight for the teacher voice. He has a great track record within our union and ETB.

Same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

Money well spent

Money well spent

In other news they have extended the deadline for Feilte.....hurray

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,260 ✭✭✭bobbyss

I am not really tuned into what they do. Often I get emails opening with: 'We are sending you this email because... '. Just an off putting tone.

It would be interesting to know what percentage of teachers eligible to elect whomever for whatever actually do vote? Do they report that? Would it be open to a FOI request for anyone bothered? The result may be interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭Ciano35

Money well spent

Brilliant, I see our PPS numbers have been leaked along with our names, addresses etc. Can anything sinister be done with our PPS no's?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Rainbowshimmer

Ciano35 wrote: »
    Brilliant, I see our PPS numbers have been leaked along with our names, addresses etc. Can anything sinister be done with our PPS no's?

I’d like to know this too. Very concerning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭ethical

This fcukin organisation should be disbanded with immmediate affect .....and their millions used to buy equipment for teachers who are working off their own devices from home.(which is a GDPR and Data Protection issue!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭political analyst

paddy19 wrote: »

Why do you believe that?

These professional bodies do what they're meant to do - the upholding of standards in the professions that they govern. In the UK and Ireland, many individuals who brought disrepute on their professions have been struck off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 363 ✭✭cmssjone

Why do you believe that?

These professional bodies do what they're meant to do - the upholding of standards in the professions that they govern. In the UK and Ireland, many individuals who brought disrepute on their professions have been struck off.

Even in the UK they disbanded the Teaching Council years ago as they realised what a massive waste of space it was even for a quango.

Advertisement