Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teaching Council,are teachers bothering to vote?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭beveragelady

Why do you believe that?

These professional bodies do what they're meant to do - the upholding of standards in the professions that they govern. In the UK and Ireland, many individuals who brought disrepute on their professions have been struck off.

Does anybody know of a teacher who was removed from a school because he/she was unqualified? I don't mean the chancers who retired early with a hefty lump sum and full pension.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Does anybody know of a teacher who was removed from a school because he/she was unqualified? I don't mean the chancers who retired early with a hefty lump sum and full pension.

Well they should not be there in the first place. But there are some exceptions:
    1. Covering day-to-day subbing where a suitably qualified person can not be found. I think this is allowed for maternity leave cover - only in exceptional circumstances though.
    2. Pre Teaching Council days, in order to be qualified, you only needed a degree. Those people (who are probably in the minority now), were allowed to stay as they were with the introduction of the TC.
    3. Working in an ETB adult education centre where as above a teaching qualification is not required.

Also, in order to qualify for CID, you have to be fully registered with the TC.

After reading your post again, I think question 2 answers it - sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭political analyst

cmssjone wrote: »
    Even in the UK they disbanded the Teaching Council years ago as they realised what a massive waste of space it was even for a quango.

Correction: the General Teaching Council for England was abolished. Scotland has had its own since 1965.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Teaching_Council_for_Scotland

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭cmssjone

Correction: the General Teaching Council for England was abolished. Scotland has had its own since 1965.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Teaching_Council_for_Scotland

Technically you are correct, but the vast majority of teachers in the UK (England and Wales) have not been forced into paying into a teaching council quango for a number of years.

Advertisement