Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Power loss

Options
  • 07-03-2020 11:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi. I'm the electric is cutting out going to my shower after it's running for about 5 minutes but it's not tripping on the board. I had shower replaced and its doing the exact same thing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,102 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Pk1984 wrote:
    Hi. I'm the electric is cutting out going to my shower after it's running for about 5 minutes but it's not tripping on the board. I had shower replaced and its doing the exact same thing.

You need to contact a registered electrical contractor to investigate this. Had you done this at the start you wouldn't have wasted your money on the new shower.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Pk1984

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    You need to contact a registered electrical contractor to investigate this. Had you done this at the start you wouldn't have wasted your money on the new shower.

I'll contact an electrician on Monday just looking to see what it might be. The shower that was replaced was about 5 years old so I thought it was just gone.

Pk1984 wrote:
    I'll contact an electrician on Monday just looking to see what it might be. The shower that was replaced was about 5 years old so I thought it was just gone.

Your installer should have known that it was an electrical issue and not a shower fault. Your electrician will have it sorted in no time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,375 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Yep get him out and presume you have a pull chord fitted also and i think i read they go faulty but he will check it.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭adrian92

Pk1984 wrote: »

Hi pk,

Just to clarify - can you provide more information

Does the shower completely cease to work
    Does water continue to flow
    Does the pump continue to function
    (Have you had recently any other electrical issues in your premises)
    Does the power indicator lamp on your shower extinguish also

You said that you have replased the shower so , I suspect therefore that the shower is not the culprit.

Some problem with water pressure or a weak electricity supply, I think

Sorry for the lon winded response but if you could provise more info some helpful people here may be able to advise you

• Advertisement

adrian92 wrote: »
    Hi pk,

Just to clarify - can you provide more information

Does the shower completely cease to work
    Does water continue to flow
    Does the pump continue to function
    (Have you had recently any other electrical issues in your premises)
    Does the power indicator lamp on your shower extinguish also

You said that you have replased the shower so , I suspect therefore that the shower is not the culprit.

Some problem with water pressure or a weak electricity supply, I think

Sorry for the lon winded response but if you could provise more info some helpful people here may be able to advise you

Despite above comments, I would not assume an electrical issue that requires an electrician.

(this site is for people trying to assist others, some may have a commercial agenda but that is a point, I suppose for the Moderator)

adrian92 wrote:
    Despite above comments, I would not assume an electrical issue that requires an electrician.

There is no fault with the shower. I could have told him this before he replaced the shower. Replacing the shower itself and the exact same issue remaining proved, even to OP that it's not a shower issue.

Nothing in the electric shower can cause the issue described by OP. It very obviously is an electrical issue. By law only a REC can fix this issue. There is a small chance that it is the pull cord switch but it is much more likely to be a faulty RCBO. OP needs a good REC to test the RCBO, pull cord switch, cable etc.

EDIT: My job is shower repair. I take the calls & make the decisions on the course of action. If the shower is at fault I make the visit. If it's an electrical issue, particularly fusebox related, then I send the REC. This is advice I live by. I couldn't give a random person on the internet with no knowledge or testing equipment advice to take the cover off the fusebox when it's something I wouldn't do myself. If I was OP I'd be looking for my old shower put back as the installation company didn't run the correct tests before & after installation

adrian92 wrote: »

(this site is for people trying to assist others, some may have a commercial agenda but that is a point, I suppose for the Moderator)

Hi adrian thank you for the reply. The power comes on for the shower and it goes off after 4 to 5 minutes. The water pressure seems fine. When the power goes off it doesn't trip on the board but if I flick the trip switch off and back on the shower comes back on and runs for another few minutes. Just to clarify I'm not trying to fix this myself and I will be contacting a electrician first thing on Monday I'm just trying to get an idea of what might be causing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Quite possible a neutral burning or the live but imo nearly always the neutral.

Loose connection and when heats up breaks contact quite possible.

The pull cord or isolator switch would be 1st place I'd check.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

but imo nearly always the neutral.

Why would that be?

• Advertisement

Quite possible a neutral burning or the live but imo nearly always the neutral.

Loose connection and when heats up breaks contact quite possible.

The pull cord or isolator switch would be 1st place I'd check.
    Thank you for the reply. If the neutral was damaged would it no trip on the board?

Hi adrian thank you for the reply. The power comes on for the shower and it goes off after 4 to 5 minutes. The water pressure seems fine. When the power goes off it doesn't trip on the board but if I flick the trip switch off and back on the shower comes back on and runs for another few minutes. Just to clarify I'm not trying to fix this myself and I will be contacting a electrician first thing on Monday I'm just trying to get an idea of what might be causing this.

Does it ever come back on without pulling the tripswitch down and back up?

Bruthal wrote: »
    Does it ever come back on without pulling the tripswitch down and back up?

To be honest I'm not sure. Any time the shower went off I just flicked the trip switch off and left it off. I didn't like to leave the power on just incase there was a fault between the shower and the box.

Thank you for the reply. If the neutral was damaged would it no trip on the board?

Not necessarily.

The cable and switch could actually be melting and this is a major cause of such faults.

To be honest I'm not sure. Any time the shower went off I just flicked the trip switch off and left it off. I didn't like to leave the power on just incase there was a fault between the shower and the box.

This burns the switch out, leave on when your issue is fixed.

This burns the switch out, leave on when your issue is fixed.

I think he means the MCB gets switched off when the shower stops working.

I think he means the MCB gets switched off when the shower stops working.

Got ya.... Wasn't reading that right

Got ya.... Wasn't reading that right

Yes it's the mcb i switch down when the shower is off. Hopefully i can get an electrician out soon to sort this as i said I'm not trying to fix it myself (I'm a carpenter by trade) just looking for ideas as to what it could be.

Yes it's the mcb i switch down when the shower is off. Hopefully i can get an electrician out soon to sort this as i said I'm not trying to fix it myself (I'm a carpenter by trade) just looking for ideas as to what it could be.

Sometimes the indicator light on pullchords can give clues, if there is one on it.

If it goes off when the fault occurs, its between the switch and the MCB board. So it could be a connection problem at the MCB board or supply side of switch.

If it stays on, its between the switch and the shower. So its either the outgoing side of the switch or the shower connections themselves.

Often the pullchords themselves are the culprit.

Sometimes the indicator light on pullchords can give clues, if there is one on it.

If it goes off when the fault occurs, its between the switch and the MCB board. So it could be a connection problem at the MCB board or supply side of switch.

If it stays on, its between the switch and the shower. So its either the outgoing side of the switch or the shower connections themselves.

Often the pullchords themselves are the culprit.

I suspect Bruthal is correct. I had a problem, not quite the same, involving the pull cord switch. Suspect the problem lies there. Need to isolate at the Distributiin Board and then remove cover from the pull switch and have a very close examanation of all contacts

• Advertisement
Advertisement