Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exhaust advice (CBR500)

Options
  • 07-03-2020 11:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Hey!

So a couple of questions. I bought a cbr500 recently and I just wanted to change the exhaust so it doesnt sound like a lawnmower. I have a couple of questions and hope you guys can help me!

I have done a lot of research (literally spent hours on youtube listening to exhaust sounds lol) and I know that the sound in person would be different to listening through youtube but based on what I've heard I like the sound of yoshimura more than akropavic even though the second is more widely regarded as better.

(please bear with me on this part) I prefer a more of a VROOM sound like racing bikes instead of a loud BRROMMM (i'm sorry I dont know how else to explain). In other words, I dont like the sound of a harley.

0. If anyone is selling used or if you know someone who is let me know i dont mind getting a used one!

1. is there a cheaper alternative to changing the sound other than spending 600 on a good exhaust? The cheap sub 100 generic exhausts on amazon, are they good?? I dont know how they sound so has anyone bought something like that?

2. Do you have any other suggestions for an exhaust based on the sound I prefer as mentioned earlier? Ideally cheaper

3. From where can I get one in dublin? I checked bikeworld and megabike websites they dont have any variety?

4. I'd prefer to get one locally (so they can be fitted by the shop) but if not possible what are the best sites to get it shipped?

5. How much would a mechanic cost to install (rough estimate)? I looked online and its a 10min job. And no, I dont want to install it myself. I am relatively new and dont have any tool and any experience whatsoever with any kind of engines lol

Bonus question: This is weird one. So on my registration etc my bike is a 2019 HOWEVER it does not have the inverted dash (which was introduced in 2019 model I believe) so that means my bike is the 2018 model manufactured in 2019 right?? In that case, when I am looking online on sites which support the 'does it fit my bike' I should enter my bike as a 2018 model correct?

Thanks! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

alanman wrote: »
    Hey!

So a couple of questions. I bought a cbr500 recently and I just wanted to change the exhaust so it doesnt sound like a lawnmower. I have a couple of questions and hope you guys can help me!

I have done a lot of research (literally spent hours on youtube listening to exhaust sounds lol) and I know that the sound in person would be different to listening through youtube but based on what I've heard I like the sound of yoshimura more than akropavic even though the second is more widely regarded as better.

(please bear with me on this part) I prefer a more of a VROOM sound like racing bikes instead of a loud BRROMMM (i'm sorry I dont know how else to explain). In other words, I dont like the sound of a harley.

0. If anyone is selling used or if you know someone who is let me know i dont mind getting a used one!

1. is there a cheaper alternative to changing the sound other than spending 600 on a good exhaust? The cheap sub 100 generic exhausts on amazon, are they good?? I dont know how they sound so has anyone bought something like that?

2. Do you have any other suggestions for an exhaust based on the sound I prefer as mentioned earlier? Ideally cheaper

3. From where can I get one in dublin? I checked bikeworld and megabike websites they dont have any variety?

4. I'd prefer to get one locally (so they can be fitted by the shop) but if not possible what are the best sites to get it shipped?

5. How much would a mechanic cost to install (rough estimate)? I looked online and its a 10min job. And no, I dont want to install it myself. I am relatively new and dont have any tool and any experience whatsoever with any kind of engines lol

Bonus question: This is weird one. So on my registration etc my bike is a 2019 HOWEVER it does not have the inverted dash (which was introduced in 2019 model I believe) so that means my bike is the 2018 model manufactured in 2019 right?? In that case, when I am looking online on sites which support the 'does it fit my bike' I should enter my bike as a 2018 model correct?

If I had the money I'd have put an akra on every bike I've owned. In my opinion they have the greatest balance in sound. Not obnoxious but better than stock.

Don't buy generic, but there are other brands, delkevic is probably down the lower end of the budget, they produce a good sound but not as nice as Y or A and too loud for me even with baffles in.

Some dealers can order an aftermarket exhaust but might not have them on site but you'd be better of buying online. No idea how much labour would be because it's one of the easiest jobs you can do on the bike but it should only be an hours labour. I'd encourage you to save your money and spend it on some tools and get your hands dirty. You'll be surprised how easy it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭enrique66_35

alanman wrote: »

Registration is just the date the bike was first registered and its possible your bike has a 2019 plate but is a 2018 or older (manufacture date) model. Happened to me when I bought bike with 2012 plate but was actually a 2005-2007 model that was unregistered in storage before then.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Banzai600

Fuel Exhausts in the UK, you also have Scorpion UK too.

Another option are Lextek exhausts - CC Motorcycles in kells are a rep for them afaik, and they have a workshop to fit. Only 40 mins from Dublin on the old road.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 alanman

zubair wrote: »
    If I had the money I'd have put an akra on every bike I've owned. In my opinion they have the greatest balance in sound. Not obnoxious but better than stock.

Don't buy generic, but there are other brands, delkevic is probably down the lower end of the budget, they produce a good sound but not as nice as Y or A and too loud for me even with baffles in.

Some dealers can order an aftermarket exhaust but might not have them on site but you'd be better of buying online. No idea how much labour would be because it's one of the easiest jobs you can do on the bike but it should only be an hours labour. I'd encourage you to save your money and spend it on some tools and get your hands dirty. You'll be surprised how easy it is.

Thanks.
    Tbh I started riding recently and I haven't heard ANY exhaust in person. I mean I dont have any friends here who would say something like "I have this exhaust installed and this is what it sounds like". Everyone is a big fan of akra so no doubt it must be really good! Its just that the cost is a bit prohibitive for me.

Regarding getting the tools and donig it myself I dont have a garage or shed or anything haha

Thanks a lot for guiding me towards delkevic that looks good. (see below)
    Registration is just the date the bike was first registered and its possible your bike has a 2019 plate but is a 2018 or older (manufacture date) model. Happened to me when I bought bike with 2012 plate but was actually a 2005-2007 model that was unregistered in storage before then.

Thank you makes sense!

Banzai600 wrote: »
    Fuel Exhausts in the UK, you also have Scorpion UK too.

Another option are Lextek exhausts - CC Motorcycles in kells are a rep for them afaik, and they have a workshop to fit. Only 40 mins from Dublin on the old road.

Thanks! I really like the sound of Scorpion!

So I had to decide between Fuel exhausts, scorpion and delkevic. Fuel Exhausts is out as the price is much closer to Scorp and I'd rather go with that instead of saving like 50 bucks.

The delk a bit cheaper than Scorp and both exhausts say that you wont need an 'engine retune/remapping'. On Sportbikeshop uk, the Scorpion is 370 EUR and Delk one (on delvic.co.uk) is 180 EUR. I think considering the price I might go for delk HOWEVER just one concern:

based on a few videos I have watched, the delk exhaust seems a bit loud. Anyone has any experience if its annoyingly loud? I dont want to cause inconvenience to people haha. The website says "98dB-100dB static with baffle @ 60% RPM".

If anyone has actually heard that in person, it it obnoxious? If not, I think I'll go ahead with it (although I'd love scorpion for the sound. If only it was cheaper lol)

Thanks to everyone who replied :)

Advertisement