Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Munster Joinery 'Future Proof' door

• 07-03-2020 11:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭

Got a price of €3300 from my builder to replace external timber door with one side panel with Munster Joinery 'Future Proof' door. We live in a very exposed location. Rep told that me that is what we need for such location. Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,547 ✭✭✭Stigura

Have ye asked Munster what they'd do it for?

I'm all Munster. From measuring up to job done. I'm very pleased too :)

Of course, there'll be someone along with a nightmare story about them. I'm just saying how it is for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭stickman1019

I have them in my house for windows and doors and no loads of people that have their stuff installed. It's taking me about 10 service calls to get it all right.
    To be honest I am yet to meet a person I know that actually has a good word to say about them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,029 ✭✭✭✭anewme

They were in my new house when I bought it.

Front door never closed properly and ripped up the wooden floor from day 1. You could see daylight all around it as it didn't fit.

Terrible draughts on it and the windows.

Replaced after 12 years. With a different product. Would have expected windows and doors to last longer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,909 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Lived in a house with all Munster doors/windows.

Front door had to be ripped out at 8 years after construction and the rest were done a few years later as they were all falling to bits.

3300 for a double width opening front door is spicy but yet not incredibly bad either. Paid a reasonable amount less for a Palladio composite installed 18 months ago and I believe the "future proof" line is much the same - but that Palladio price involved phoning around and both of us in the house getting quotes which may have spooked the local suppliers a bit; the quote we went with dropped ~300 quid in one go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭worlds goodest teecher

Stigura wrote: »
    Have ye asked Munster what they'd do it for?

I'm all Munster. From measuring up to job done. I'm very pleased too :)

Of course, there'll be someone along with a nightmare story about them. I'm just saying how it is for me.
    Its coming through builder. I met the Rep, he told me that the u-value would be approx 1 but it wasn't 'composite'. I asked for confirmation in writing but have yet to receive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

Shower of cowboys!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,537 ✭✭✭touts

Got them in a new build house 12 years ago. Their window seals are terrible. Had to replace them. Even then not convinced they were the best constructed. For example the letterbox never fit properly and I had to have a new one sent by Munster Joinery. Even that one didn't fit snugly and was still draughty. I had to use a combination of woodfiller and sealant to stop the wind getting in.

Personally I would not recommend them and certainly would not use them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭worlds goodest teecher

Do their products come with warranty?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,543 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

They make quite a good window now imo.
    There were a hell of a lot of issues a few years back when they introduced their triple glazed future proof windows but for the last while I'm not seeing a whole pile of issues other than installation problems that are generally rectified.
    I had one client who had mad issues years back and managed to get a full 10 year warranty from them including maintenence call out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,537 ✭✭✭touts

That's how I got the replacement letterbox. They insisted there was nothing wrong with the seals even though I could feel a draft on windy days. I replaced the seals myself and the draughts are gone.

• Advertisement

Letterbox is terrible idea. You wont get it to stay windproof for long

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,029 ✭✭✭✭anewme

mickdw wrote: »
    Letterbox is terrible idea. You wont get it to stay windproof for long

When I got replacement door, no letterbox. Huge difference in draught.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭lapua20grain

Their product is muck, had it in my house when bought from new had to get rid after 4 years they leaked, didn't close properly constantly letting a breeze in and their doors never fit right stay well clear of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

I always found them great to deal with, any problems always rectified and client always seemed happy with the product. Ive a new sliding door to get for my own house and I'll get munster joinery to do it, they're a massive outfit and not the cheapest in the market so they must be doing something right

Their product is muck, had it in my house when bought from new had to get rid after 4 years they leaked, didn't close properly constantly letting a breeze in and their doors never fit right stay well clear of them.
    When were those windows produced though?
    They are fitting an awful lot of stuff now both here and in the uk and the scale of the operation is frightening.
    Ive no issue with them.
    One thing i would ad is that their solid hardwood doors are not a success. Would never spec one anywhere. Most go for composite which seem to be a much more reliable product.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,138 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Picked up a Palladio door recently with two side windows either side, full opening circa 1.8m . Door is made by Camden

Bought from door window reseller on donedeal . 999 for the lot. Extremely happy . Fitted myself and it's got fantastic seal and excellent adjustment mechanism. No letter box because that's just a mad thing to be putting on a door these days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

Quote for composite wide exterior door with window and one side panel with window locally in Mayo 1800 euro. About 5 months ago.

Like many I would shy away from MJ after awful fittings of replacement units, broken hinges after a couple of years and failing seals after 4 years.

I did have them fit triple units in a sunroom as part of the builders contract, had a spider complete with full web pressed between the glass and a human hair squashed between another. They replaced both glass panels after a while, and their Cork C'services was pretty awful.

I would at least get 2 quotes from local suppliers to compare.

TT

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,026 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Warranty my hole ,they fitted all new pvc windows and door here in 2012 .They actually were a good price and every thing was A1 .10 months down the line the front door panels started cracking anyway got back to them and was told there was a €100 call out charge!!! to fix a door under warranty even though there service vans pass my door every day .Lucky i have a contact there and got it sorted ,it basically involved replacing the panels on the door and the service admitted the quality of the material previous used was not up to scratch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,408 ✭✭✭✭muffler

they're a massive outfit and not the cheapest in the market so they must be doing something right
    No, they invariably are the cheapest with a well trained sales team and that's the main reason people choose them. I don't get to see many of their products these days but I've had a lot of unhappy clients over the years. However I agree in part with mickdw that they have upped their game in recent times but they have a bit to go yet imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,920 ✭✭✭✭looksee

That seems to be a lot for a door. I recently got 16 (smallish) windows, two 8' x 8' french window units with side glazing, plus a front door for 12k including vat. No hassles with quality, excellent fitting and aftercare. Big job taking out the old windows as they were timber and had to be broken out, but finish is perfect.

Advertisement