Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 10 Stop error code/Diagnosing Problem infinite loop

• 08-03-2020 12:37am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭

So on turning on my PC yesterday I got the blue screen telling me about some stop error code. It produced one of those QR codes and I followed it to begin what is now an infinite loop of diagnosing problem, attempting to fix etc..

I've done everything now at this stage, tried system restore, uninstall latest quality update, uninstall latest feature, other things with RegBack, chkdsk /R. I even resorted to the option for reset with and without preserving my data, all to no avail.

Luckily I have a dual boot drive with Ubuntu but this is very annoying. Has anyone had this issue? I created a USB boot key from the Microsoft website but for some reason my PC isn't booting from it despite updating the boot options in the BIOS settings.

Such BS really with Windows 10.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

So on turning on my PC yesterday I got the blue screen telling me about some stop error code. It produced one of those QR codes and I followed it to begin what is now an infinite loop of diagnosing problem, attempting to fix etc..

I've done everything now at this stage, tried system restore, uninstall latest quality update, uninstall latest feature, other things with RegBack, chkdsk /R. I even resorted to the option for reset with and without preserving my data, all to no avail.

Luckily I have a dual boot drive with Ubuntu but this is very annoying. Has anyone had this issue? I created a USB boot key from the Microsoft website but for some reason my PC isn't booting from it despite updating the boot options in the BIOS settings.

Such BS really with Windows 10.
    By any chance you share what was the Stop Code: ?????????????? ?
    Are you able to boot in to safe mode?
    Can you confirm your created USB is actually bootable?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

By any chance you share what was the Stop Code: ?????????????? ?
    Are you able to boot in to safe mode?
    Can you confirm your created USB is actually bootable?

While using my camera to scan the code I forgot to take a feckin picture of the code or note it. I'm not able to boot in safe mode, I tried many options in the Advanced Configuration section of the blue screen and none were successful.

About the USB how do I verify it's bootable, other than it not booting ? :)

While using my camera to scan the code I forgot to take a feckin picture of the code or note it. I'm not able to boot in safe mode, I tried many options in the Advanced Configuration section of the blue screen and none were successful.

About the USB how do I verify it's bootable, other than it not booting ? :)
    How did you create it(USB)?
    If avail, can you boot on another machine?

How you attempt safe mode, is it failing as well or you just not getting option, have you tried Shift+Restart ?

If you have read code with phone, is there log about it?

I created it from the Windows 10 Media Creation tool I downloaded from Microsoft. I checked it on another machine and it is indeed a valid boot USB.

I attempted to enter safe mode etc via the options presented to me via the method as outlined in this video:

Basically nothing worked.

update: using the command prompt option from the above flow I was able to execute the setup on the USB key. Still don't know why the BIOS settings wouldn't work.
    Re-installed windows and didn't lose any user data. I'm none the wiser on the cause of all this :)

I created it from the Windows 10 Media Creation tool I downloaded from Microsoft. I checked it on another machine and it is indeed a valid boot USB.

I attempted to enter safe mode etc via the options presented to me via the method as outlined in this video:

Basically nothing worked.

update: using the command prompt option from the above flow I was able to execute the setup on the USB key. Still don't know why the BIOS settings wouldn't work.
    Re-installed windows and didn't lose any user data. I'm none the wiser on the cause of all this :)
    Some contradiction, but whatever, as long it worked for you...

• Advertisement

Some contradiction, but whatever, as long it worked for you...

I added an update to the post, the first part of the post said nothing worked. My update happily showed that I got something working, no need to be smart about it.

I added an update to the post, the first part of the post said nothing worked. My update happily showed that I got something working, no need to be smart about it.
    ?
    Not being smart, just..., if you "Re-installed windows" how you managed "didn't lose any user data"

whatever you mean by that..., but I'm cool with that.

?
    Not being smart, just..., if you "Re-installed windows" how you managed "didn't lose any user data"

whatever you mean by that..., but I'm cool with that.

because the Windows installer detected a previous version of the OS on the drive and placed all such data into a directory called "Windows.old". Cool isn't it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Idioteque

I'm getting problems similar to this now after a new update installed recently. Seems there's lots of articles online about issues with the latest update.

Currently on to MS support trying to sort.

Looks like I need to reinstall Windows!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

This is about the fifth such update thats had massive critical failure, man am I glad my version number will never change.

• Advertisement

ED E wrote: »
    This is about the fifth such update thats had massive critical failure, man am I glad my version number will never change.
    LTSB?

Advertisement