Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working From Home Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

We have two 24" screens. We were going to splash out and get a proper docking station as we both have similar laptops, the dock was 180 euro I think. We tried something similar to this and it works just fine. Can now use both monitors and the laptop screen like I can in office

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sabrent-Adapter-Supports-Monitors-Compatible/dp/B07H11ZHPW/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=sabrent+hdmi&qid=1589529023&sr=8-3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

Nuts102 wrote: »
    I am working from just a laptop at the moment but it's getting to the point where i need two screen's

I have 1 monitor and a HDMI to connect to the monitor but i am looking to get connected to two monitors

The laptop only has 1 HDMI portal to link to a monitor so i am not sure how i can connect up to two

Can anyone recommend anything that let's you connect to two monitors from the laptop

There are HDMI splitters (never used one so no idea how effective they are), and there are USB-HDMI adapters (again, no idea how effective they are). I personally use one of those old cables with lots of pins, intended maybe as a printer cable, to connect a second monitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,839 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Been WFH for the last 8 weeks now on a Surface Pro and (mostly) the kitchen table as I have been away from home during this time.
    Really miss my dual monitors (one being a 34" ultrawide), proper desk, keyboard and dock... thankfully normal service will be resumed Monday when I go home.

Can't say I miss the office at all though. An hour each way, no proper canteen and only a small shop in the estate, and I don't really need to be in the place as there's nothing that can't be done remotely or that doesn't involve people abroad anyway.

The one good thing about all this is it dramatically accelerated the improving of remote working capability in the place which prior to CV-19 was like the 90s. I'm hearing the plan is to make the workforce more agile when people go back so as to cut down on space needed.
    Makes sense to me. A lot of people already worked 2/3 days from home anyway so no need to maintain a desk and kit for them if they can formalise that arrangement. Benefits the company (costs) and the employees (work/life balance).

• Registered Users Posts: 28,839 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

FrStone wrote: »
    Oh christ, i had to post when i heard the word teams.

It's a terrible programme. We have skype, hangouts, webex and zoom. Yet my boss still uses teams... It is driving me insane

Teams is awful alright - especially as I used Skype for Business extensively in my last place.

It's basically the dumbed-down, feature-stripped "consumer friendly" version. Bit like how Win 10 is similarly inferior to Win 7. Both are less stable, replace useful options with gimmicks and keep useful info away with meaningless nonsense like:

xwindows-8-blue-screen-header.png.pagespeed.gp+jp+jw+pj+ws+js+rj+rp+rw+ri+cp+md.ic.DJqE_3zuYI.png

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Nuts102 wrote: »
    I am working from just a laptop at the moment but it's getting to the point where i need two screen's

I have 1 monitor and a HDMI to connect to the monitor but i am looking to get connected to two monitors

The laptop only has 1 HDMI portal to link to a monitor so i am not sure how i can connect up to two

Can anyone recommend anything that let's you connect to two monitors from the laptop

Has your laptop got a VGA connection? I have two monitors hooked up one via VGA and one via hdmi and it works fine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

17 years commuting to the office, over 2 hours spent in the car each day.

Working from home since the lockdown has been superb for me, no fuel expenses, no stress of traffic , no racing to be on time/home on time to juggle parental responsibilities etc.

Unfortunately in my home town there is not much employment in my line of work and if there was the salary would be considerably lower.

My productivity working from home is more, I am logging on earlier as I aint stuck in traffic commuting and and in the evening I can give a bit more time back to the company as I am not driving home, a win /win for both parties.

The the " work from home " culture is not something which has ever been encouraged in our place of work, so I will be dragged back to the office when things come back to relative new normal.

I would consider a salary decrease with my employer if they would allow me work from home, others have mentioned it in the past and the response was " if we do it for 1, we have to do it for all "

But with a possible/recession , job cuts etc etc, the second I am called back into the office, I will be in the car straight away.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,444 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Seems homeware stores are not NOT reopening.

What's the definition of the difference between a "hardware" store and a "homeware" store?

I get that IKEA is definitely not a hardware store , but is somewhere like B&Q or Woodies a Hardware Store , a Homeware store or a Garden centre??

Are they only allowed open parts of the shops?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭snowgal

no they just clarified there that if they are hardware but also homeware etc they can sell all products

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭WhiteMemento9

Reading the comments in this thread around an article on reduced suicide rate in Japan it seems there is large sections of society that have really taken to the current situation. I mean outside of the lockdown. I guess some people are embarrassed to shout too loud when so many people are struggling very badly during this time but it is nice to see something good might come out of this whole thing.
    It's not just Japan either

There are a lot of us all over the world who are feeling a strange lack of pressure and a normalization of boredom that is oddly relieving
    Hell yeah. American here, working remotely for a couple months now and my mental health is actually way better than normal. It’s amazing what stripping off a lot of bs daily pressures can do. I’m still working as much as ever, but have a better balance. And that even includes the stress of trying to do it with young kids in the house which is its own adventure.
    The fact that I am not spending an hour in the car every day has given me a surprising amount of time and energy. I don't dread the alarm clock going off every morning, and I can do fun things after work.

I mean, hell, I have gotten so much done around the house that I wanted to do but just never had the time and energy because I am usually zapped after a week of work and commuting. Dug a pond, built some huge vegetable beds, planted flowers. And I got back into making model airplanes again, something I haven't done in 25 years.

I would be perfectly content to never return to an office. Probably won't happen, so I'll enjoy it while I can.
    The 40 hour work week was some bull**** agreed upon back in the early 1900s with the labor movement when people were working 12 to 18 hours a day in factories and mines.

I think 5 to 6 hours is a better. Also **** starting at anything earlier than 10am. I understand the service sector but the whole reason mcdonalds is open for breakfast is because everyone else is up trying to get breakfast. If you work from 10am to 4pm with a paid hour lunch as like 12:30pm, I bet you could be really productive for 5 hours. Just 2 and a half hours on either side of lunch. I guarentee no one here is actually productive for 5 hours or anything close when working 8.

Youd also have more time in the morning to get ready, make breakfast, maybe make your own lunch etc. And more time.when you got off for stuff.

Bezos talks about this too. He wakes up early but doesnt actually work until 10AM and all the hard work is done in the morning. He enjoys "puttering around" in the morning. Reading the news, making breakfast etc.

I think we all deserve some puttering around time. Kids included. You really think kids are going to be able to learn at 7am?
    Working from home every day has increased my quality of life. It removed 2 hours of commuting for me so I sleep in for an hour.

You know what an extra hour of sleep every day for months does to you? I feel great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Assuming you are working from home, what it anything did your company do to help?
    Computer equipment, table & chair etc?

https://www.hsa.ie/eng/topics/covid-19/covid-19_faqs_for_employers_and_employees_in_relation_to_home-working_on_a_temporary_basis/faqs_for_employers_and_employees_in_relation_to_home-working_on_a_temporary_basis_covid-19_.html#1

Would seem to indicate that employers still have the same duty of care to employees.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,140 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

When I go back to work I want a sleep room and a garden for sunbathing

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 14,366 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

already had a laptop so basically nothing. home office already there. my chair was knackered so had to buy a new one did ask about company paying for it - no response , so bought my own.

no communication about making sure your setup right just lots of are you feeling alright emails but no action.

i pointed out to local management that if we go to home working on a permanent basis we will have to provide people with equipment. again no response

• Registered Users Posts: 81,222 ✭✭✭✭biko

My computer stuff, but that's all I need.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭thunderdog

Everything apart from a desk (chair, laptop riser, monitor, mouse, Bluetooth headset etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I see lots of my colleagues working from kitchen chairs, couches, beds and wonder what long term problems are ahead.

I would say that at best, most houses have one area dedicated as an office (with a desk, lighting, chair), but how many of these homes have 2 people trying to work in the at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

We had a pretty decent office set-up already as we worked from home weekly
    My company allowed us to take anything we needed from office, didn't bother
    My wife's company gave her $1000 to upgrade our home work space so we got a 2nd screen and some other bits

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭OU812

I went in to get a monitor & mouse.

I already had a riser, bought a keyboard. Also took a proper light and chair that most likely won’t be going back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

ILikeBoats wrote: »
    We had a pretty decent office set-up already as we worked from home weekly
    My company allowed us to take anything we needed from office, didn't bother
    My wife's company gave her $1000 to upgrade our home work space so we got a 2nd screen and some other bits

Our place has given us a 500usd stipend allowance for home office uses

• Registered Users Posts: 5,657 ✭✭✭storker

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    What's the definition of the difference between a "hardware" store and a "homeware" store?

I get that IKEA is definitely not a hardware store , but is somewhere like B&Q or Woodies a Hardware Store , a Homeware store or a Garden centre??

Are they only allowed open parts of the shops?

A homeware store sells you things for your home. The hardware store sells you the stuff you need to make the things yourself.

It's all about stuff and things.

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭subpar

Whilst there are some positives from working at home in my experience the negatives far out number the positives . Many employers can see the cost savings associated with home working and are trying to sell the idea to their employees. However Workers should consider the following.

Using your own light , heat and power for someone else's gain.
    Feeding yourself , instead of using the company coffee station , canteen , kitchen and water cooler.
    If you slip , trip or fall at home , its your fault and your employer is not liable.
    Working from home encourages the " always on" culture.
    Most homes do not have the space to dedicate room for a permanent work station or mini office.
    Isolation can have a negative impact on mental health.

The reason why home working is able to operate during this lockdown is that the work teams , groups and relationships now being used were created , fostered and developed in the office , they can not be created off line or in a permanent home working environment.

A workforce no matter if small , medium or large were recruited as individuals. When did you last see a recruitment advertisment for a Team

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Glenomra

I have a neighbour working in Revenue from home on a computer surrounded by family members. What safeguards are in place or can be put in place to protect people's confidential information in that situation from becoming shared with the public.

Glenomra wrote: »
    I have a neighbour working in Revenue from home on a computer surrounded by family members. What safeguards are in place or can be put in place to protect people's confidential information in that situation from becoming shared with the public.

Same ones that are in place as when they are in the office.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

DubInMeath wrote: »
    Same ones that are in place as when they are in the office.

Not really. When I worked onsite for Revenue as a consultant years ago I ‘signed the Official Secrets Act’.

Everyone else in the office would also have signed it and been bound by it.

I doubt everyone in the household has. Kids, housemates etc.

subpar wrote: »
    Whilst there are some positives from working at home in my experience the negatives far out number the positives . Many employers can see the cost savings associated with home working and are trying to sell the idea to their employees. However Workers should consider the following.

Using your own light , heat and power for someone else's gain.
    Feeding yourself , instead of using the company coffee station , canteen , kitchen and water cooler.
    If you slip , trip or fall at home , its your fault and your employer is not liable.
    Working from home encourages the " always on" culture.
    Most homes do not have the space to dedicate room for a permanent work station or mini office.
    Isolation can have a negative impact on mental health.

The reason why home working is able to operate during this lockdown is that the work teams , groups and relationships now being used were created , fostered and developed in the office , they can not be created off line or in a permanent home working environment.

A workforce no matter if small , medium or large were recruited as individuals. When did you last see a recruitment advertisment for a Team

I've worked from home since 2017 and won't work for a company where it's not an option.

Very few companies offer free tea, coffee or food and those that do use it as a way to keep people in the office often working after hours.

Trip and fall at home and it's your fault, because what job where you work from home requires you to move around as part of your work tasks?
    If you trip and fall in the office because your not looking where your going, it's your fault also.

Isolation you could argue that for some, but how many people of working age live alone, especially given your other argument that people don't have a place for an office set up?

Also plenty of people who go into offices don't interact with people in the workplace unless required to when asked a question.

Working after hours, nope that again is a personal thing and those that do will also do this if in the office.

Not really. When I worked onsite for Revenue as a consultant years ago I ‘signed the Official Secrets Act’.

Everyone else in the office would also have signed it and been bound by it.

I doubt everyone in the household has. Kids, housemates etc.

What's to stop them telling their partner or kids information about a person if they were that way inclined even if in the office only?

Or from selling the information if they are so inclined when working in the office
    https://www.thejournal.ie/civil-servant-court-jail-corruption-3818315-Jan2018/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

DubInMeath wrote: »
    What's to stop them telling their partner or kids information about a person if they were that way inclined even if in the office only?

Or from selling the information if they are so inclined when working in the office
    https://www.thejournal.ie/civil-servant-court-jail-corruption-3818315-Jan2018/

As I said, they are bound by the Official Secrets Act. If they are caught the consequences are serious. That would stop 98% plus of people doing something so stupid. In my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,769 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Absolutley this. 100% this.

I will refuse to work from home more than 1/2 days a week when this is over. Proper relationships can't be built working remotely. Small things like lunch, and coffee breaks help team bonding(and I hope my company don't allow people to go full time remote).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭uli84

Glenomra wrote: »

Oooh that’s why they are taking aaaaages to respond, been wondering

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

Not completely true for many especially tech companies, my team is based in Germany, Ireland, India, California, Colorado and Costa Rica. I would consider them a highly productive team, we all work from home. We meet face to once a year for a week of team building and planning for the year and then I see some of them at three regional trade shows. They perform better than any office based I have ever had, all were hired using zoom or skype so no face to face interview. We do have a strict probation so there is opportunity to offload spoofers quite easily. I have 5 employees I have never met face to face and who have never set foot in the office.

Home working is not total isolation, we meet customers, we attend training onsite when needed and even very traditional office based customers like banks, government departments and pharmaceutical’s are more and more active outside the office environment online.

We have have even been doing virtual monthly “beers or breakfast” happy hours due to time zones over zoom for a bit of craic for years. Not quite the same as few pints after work but it works for us.

While its more of a effort to build these relationships initially its certainly not impossible and maintaining them is easy.

Advertisement