Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working From Home Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

Absolutley this. 100% this.

I will refuse to work from home more than 1/2 days a week when this is over. Proper relationships can't be built working remotely. Small things like lunch, and coffee breaks help team bonding(and I hope my company don't allow people to go full time remote).

But this is it: many ppl are self sufficient and don't need their work relationships to be fostered by lunch/coffee breaks.

Work is work, no matter if your team is virtual or F2F.

Actually I find funny to talk about non-productive time in this context; even while in the office I've stopped going for coffee breaks years ago, barely had time to lunch - really don't miss the social part; having less interruptions during the day keeps me focused on my tasks, I don't need to stay as much overtime as before - so both my employer and my family win ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭snoopboggybog

Glenomra wrote: »
    I have a neighbour working in Revenue from home on a computer surrounded by family members. What safeguards are in place or can be put in place to protect people's confidential information in that situation from becoming shared with the public.

No different than the office. People really overthink things like this. I find it mad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭snoopboggybog

I will refuse to work from home more than 1/2 days a week when this is over. Proper relationships can't be built working remotely. Small things like lunch, and coffee breaks help team bonding(and I hope my company don't allow people to go full time remote).

I think you take your work far too seriously. Relationships can easily be built over Zoom or teams

• Registered Users Posts: 7,211 ✭✭✭plodder

subpar wrote: »
    Whilst there are some positives from working at home in my experience the negatives far out number the positives . Many employers can see the cost savings associated with home working and are trying to sell the idea to their employees. However Workers should consider the following.

Using your own light , heat and power for someone else's gain.
    Feeding yourself , instead of using the company coffee station , canteen , kitchen and water cooler.
    If you slip , trip or fall at home , its your fault and your employer is not liable.
    That's a good thing, though I'm sure there are ambulance chasers looking for an angle on that anyhow.
    Working from home encourages the " always on" culture.
    Most homes do not have the space to dedicate room for a permanent work station or mini office.
    I think not having a suitable space at home for work is the biggest drawback by far.
    Isolation can have a negative impact on mental health.

The reason why home working is able to operate during this lockdown is that the work teams , groups and relationships now being used were created , fostered and developed in the office, they can not be created off line or in a permanent home working environment.

A workforce no matter if small , medium or large were recruited as individuals. When did you last see a recruitment advertisment for a Team

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭obi604

Hi

I have been instructed by my employer to work from home during Covid 19. This is still the instruction.

Question: Am I entitle to claim a daily amount to cover electricity and internet etc costs during this time.

What is the daily rate?
    How do I go about claiming it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,814 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,133 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Threads merged

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Pink11

My partner is in the high risk category. He has been WFH since March and has completed his tasks 100% efficiently and on time. New boss has come in last week and wants everyone back on-site. This means my partner will have to go into a very highly populated work space where he would be dealing with lots of people face to face again and would have to take public transport to get there. Have we any rights or push back on medical grounds to continue working from home? Going on public transport and back into a very high risk working environment has us worried sick due to his condition. Any advice?

My job is WFH so I'm ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭OU812

Pink11 wrote: »
    My partner is in the high risk category. He has been WFH since March and has completed his tasks 100% efficiently and on time. New boss has come in last week and wants everyone back on-site. This means my partner will have to go into a very highly populated work space where he would be dealing with lots of people face to face again and would have to take public transport to get there. Have we any rights or push back on medical grounds to continue working from home? Going on public transport and back into a very high risk working environment has us worried sick due to his condition. Any advice?

My job is WFH so I'm ok.

Doctor's note stating he's at risk and absolutely shouldn't work from the office. Will cost a couple of quid, but cant be argued with.

If the new manager is any good he'll immodestly recognise the insurance risk of insisting he come in.

Make sure you keep copies of any documentation between both sides

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

My job is WFH so I'm ok.

I know HR departments are normally useless but is this new managers thoughts in line with the general current company policy?

Worth asking what the company line is, not the new managers.

Sounds like the new boss is trying to be the man and putting his stamp on things. Hope he isn't a micro manager!

....or the doctors note as above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

I know HR departments are normally useless but is this new managers thoughts in line with the general current company policy?

Sounds like the new boss is trying to be the man and putting his stamp on things. Hope he isn't a micro manager!

Also I’d ask about the distancing within the workplace

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Pink11

Thank you all so much for the replies. Gives us a bit of confidence. Have Dr apt sorted for Monday to ask for her help, she's been fantastic throughout the illness so fingers crossed her letter will help us.

My own gut is new boss trying to make his mark too. Well he can find a new way that doesn't involved messing with people's wellbeing! The stress alone he is causing!

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Jim Root

My job is WFH so I'm ok.

I’m not sure there is much you can do here; if the contract states that the place of work is the office, and your OH cannot fulfil this requirement any more, is he not failing to adhere to his contract? This assumes the company has taken all the reasonable safety measures to make the premises safe,

Just be careful, a letter from the doctor won’t mean a jot to a boss if she has 4/5 replacements willing to step in to the role straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Checking with HR may be a good option. They will not just be thinking about workplace safety but also company liability. They still have a duty of care when you are in the office. Further, many businesses are thinking that a situation where a full team is brought into together may be a business risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭BrianD3

From what I've seen on sky news, Boris Johnson wants British civil servants back in the office as businesses that they normally use (coffee and sandwich shops etc.) have suffered. I suspect that this is also part of the motivation behind the ordering of Irish public servants back to the office but I haven't seen it stated as official policy anywhere.

Now more than ever this pandemic is about various groups with the paw out. Wanting civil servants back in their offices so that they will buy sandwiches in your shop at lunchtime is only slightly less blatant than lobbying for direct supports.

Publicans, niteclub owners, the wedding industry, coffee shops (and anyone else whose business depends on frivolous spending in an environment with limited scope for social distancing) - all need to accept that business is going to suffer and will likely never go back to where it was, no matter how many civil servants are put at increased risk of contracting Covid-19.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Am reading lots of statements here saying WFH is bad for mental health. I couldn't disagree more. There are plenty of people (myself included) who thrive away from the office.

WFH is bad for the mental health of some people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

I can see team days becoming a thing in the future. Relationships develop sitting side by side having generally chitchat etc. I miss having lunch with my friends. Giving the duration we are in the company we are on differnt teams but meet for lunch. I think a day or 2 a week from home is grand. But definately team days will be the way to go

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

BrianD3 wrote: »
    From what I've seen on sky news, Boris Johnson wants British civil servants back in the office as businesses that they normally use (coffee and sandwich shops etc.) have suffered. I suspect that this is also part of the motivation behind the ordering of Irish public servants back to the office but I haven't seen it stated as official policy anywhere.

Now more than ever this pandemic is about various groups with the paw out. Wanting civil servants back in their offices so that they will buy sandwiches in your shop at lunchtime is only slightly less blatant than lobbying for direct supports.

Publicans, niteclub owners, the wedding industry, coffee shops (and anyone else whose business depends on frivolous spending in an environment with limited scope for social distancing) - all need to accept that business is going to suffer and will likely never go back to where it was, no matter how many civil servants are put at increased risk of contracting Covid-19.

I don’t believe Irish public servants have been ordered back in. Rather the contrary.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

KaneToad wrote: »
    Am reading lots of statements here saying WFH is bad for mental health. I couldn't disagree more. There are plenty of people (myself included) who thrive away from the office.

WFH is bad for the mental health of some people.

You will find the people pushing this agenda are businesses to gain from it. If you live on your own and work from home, then it could affect you.

For me it's the opposite , wfh is less stressful, can handle the kids sports easier, get quality food locally at a fair price with a smile, unlike the city centre.

BrianD3 wrote: »
    From what I've seen on sky news, Boris Johnson wants British civil servants back in the office as businesses that they normally use (coffee and sandwich shops etc.) have suffered. I suspect that this is also part of the motivation behind the ordering of Irish public servants back to the office but I haven't seen it stated as official policy anywhere..

This policy I’m hearing from the UK of trying to force people back to the office to spend money really annoys me.

The majority of people are seeing massive benefits from WFH but they are expected to give all this up to spend money in a coffee shop. Absolute nonsense.

It’s only a matter of time before similar crap gets more air time here (I’ve heard it said but not too much yet).

• Advertisement

Mr.S wrote: »
    One size doesn't fit all, as you said.

I think it's certainly very hard if you haven't previously worked from home, don't have a proper setup and value the social interaction that comes with going into an office. Lots of people have been thrown in the deep-end with remote working.

Not true whatsoever. I work directly with people I've never met in person, just video / calls. No different then working with a colleague based in the same office, the relationships are just as strong. You just adapt to your circumstances. If you work in any sort of international company, you're usually working with people you never meet in person.

I really doubt companies will go fully remote across the board. A fine balance is what's needed. The general consensus with the big employers in Dublin seems to be reopening the office on an optional basis and employees can pick if they WFH or go into the office, I'd bet this will be permanent policy (some already have committed). We will quickly see "home office kitout" benefits popup on job specs, and daily food expenses.

Same here, office open if you want, offices will become smaller now. Glad if I don't see the city again

With the likes of Medmark certifying very high risk teachers as fit to go back to work, its only a matter of time before pressure will be put on anyone working from home to return.

But as long as cases are rising, and there are scenes of crowds drinking on the streets like South William Street in Dublin and Cork City Centre last night, I'll be working from home, as I have been doing full time, since March, with no loss of effectiveness.

I am high risk, my adult daughter who lives with me is very high risk. I'm not returning to work in an office space or going to frequent some deli or coffee shop where I could come into contact with some ****wit who was partying all weekend with no mask, no social distancing and no hand washing, and then carrying the virus back into the office / school / retail outlet on Monday.

Forget it. If anything anyone who was high risk / very high risk before, is even more vulnerable now then they were in March because the public goodwill and effort to try and suppress the virus to protect the vulnerable has been lost.

For @Pink11 - as advised, check with HR and get a doctor's note for now, and be prepared to face a company appointed Occupational Health doctor in the near future.

With the likes of Medmark certifying very high risk teachers as fit to go back to work, its only a matter of time before pressure will be put on anyone working from home to return.

But as long as cases are rising, and there are scenes of crowds drinking on the streets like South William Street in Dublin and Cork City Centre last night, I'll be working from home, as I have been doing full time, since March, with no loss of effectiveness.

I am high risk, my adult daughter who lives with me is very high risk. I'm not returning to work in an office space or going to frequent some deli or coffee shop where I could come into contact with some ****wit who was partying all weekend with no mask, no social distancing and no hand washing, and then carrying the virus back into the office / school / retail outlet on Monday.

Forget it. If anything anyone who was high risk / very high risk before, is even more vulnerable now then they were in March because the public goodwill and effort to try and suppress the virus to protect the vulnerable has been lost.

That's funny, the cost savings for companies is massive for people working from home. Our company has said it is the way forward now that they saw it works.

It was starting to happen before the virus came in. I had applied for a job that was work from home only last Jan

• Registered Users Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I don’t believe Irish public servants have been ordered back in. Rather the contrary.
    You should believe it. Many public servants have been ordered back, I should know as I was one of them. I also know many public servants in various depts and organisations who have been told to return to the office. This has caused a huge amount of bad feeling. This ordering back has been going on since June.

This is backed up by posts from public servants on the Work and Jobs forum etc.

For balance, some have said the exact opposite, they were told they could/must WFH until September and beyond. There does appear to be wild variation. But to reiterate, many public servants who were working successfully from home have been told to get back to the office.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,769 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Long term I see a lot of companies reducing office space and just having hotdesks and office amenities (meeting rooms etc) which will be used when needed vs having all employees on site 5 days a week.

That honestly sounds incredible. It saves the company money, the employees money, and most importantly, the employees time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

That honestly sounds incredible. It saves the company money, the employees money, and most importantly, the employees time.

It's called hybrid work, lots of articles on business sites about it as a way forward now. For compatible jobs it has most of the pros covered and nearly no cons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Thierry12

Bit different for teachers as they are not much use at home

Out of mind out of sight is what I have noticed in my place, its easy to be forgotten at home

Managers/team leaders starting to come in alot more, trying to stay relevant I guess, even the directors are coming on site to do daily work

One thing I have noticed is when people do leave WFH roles now in my place, no one cares

No goodbyes, no collections, replacements are slow and have been all agency/contractors

• Registered Users Posts: 25,892 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Long term I see a lot of companies reducing office space and just having hotdesks and office amenities (meeting rooms etc) which will be used when needed vs having all employees on site 5 days a week.

Hot desks are gone, unless you have a full desk clean in between each shift.

Thierry12 wrote: »
    Bit different for teachers as they are not much use at home

I beg to differ on that, but that's not the point I was making.

I was just giving an example of occupational health doctors getting involved and certifying high/very high risk public sector workers fit to go back to work, for @Pink11.

Private sector companies can do what they like.

But in my experience the general public will always want their pound of flesh from the public sector and there is no trust that we can work as effectively from home as we can from an office space.

Hence the pressure to return will be applied, and has started, in some areas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,769 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Hot desks are gone, unless you have a full desk clean in between each shift.

The world of work has changed forever though. Post Covid this won't be an issue.

Advertisement