Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working From Home Megathread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭GDK_11

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    Partially agree - but none of the highlighted things have anything to do with working from home.

Jobs are no more likely to be outsourced because staff are working from home. The two are completely unrelated.

If Salaries are cheaper in some other country then so is office rental , they just aren't connected at all.

Construction will change - If Office blocks aren't needed , then they'll build houses and apartments instead.

Really not sure how tourism is impacted by WFH to be honest.

It’s all opinion of course but my take for what it’s worth,

I can’t see employees paying people Dublin salaries for those that relocate and work from home, Facebook already said their employees can move in America but their salaries will be adjusted accordingly. If the average Irish employee is prepared to take that cut when they move fair enough, if not is it not possible jobs will be outsourced to save money?

Construction will change for sure, if as some suggest people leave Dublin in their droves then there will need to be a significant catch up outside of Dublin, all those offices built become pretty much useless as converting them to residential is difficult.

As for Tourism, the main reason people come to Dublin is for the ‘craic’ of the high street is dead who will really come here? With all due respect to Dublin it hardly compares to London, Paris, NY etc. Maybe I’m wrong and the west coast will get 10 times the amount of visitors but who knows

Like I said before it’s all opinion, I don’t necessarily disagree with anyone’s take on what will happen, I just don’t think it will happen as quickly or easily as some think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

GDK_11 wrote: »

I can’t see employees paying people Dublin salaries for those that relocate and work from home, Facebook already said their employees can move in America but their salaries will be adjusted accordingly. If the average Irish employee is prepared to take that cut when they move fair enough, if not is it not possible jobs will be outsourced to save money?

Construction will change for sure, if as some suggest people leave Dublin in their droves then there will need to be a significant catch up outside of Dublin, all those offices built become pretty much useless as converting them to residential is difficult.

As for Tourism, the main reason people come to Dublin is for the ‘craic’ of the high street is dead who will really come here? With all due respect to Dublin it hardly compares to London, Paris, NY etc. Maybe I’m wrong and the west coast will get 10 times the amount of visitors but who knows

Like I said before it’s all opinion, I don’t necessarily disagree with anyone’s take on what will happen, I just don’t think it will happen as quickly or easily as some think.

I feel temple bar managed without us dubs for years anyway. Full of holidayers. :)

I think you might be right about things but what happens will just be a reflection of what the majority want. Maybe the commutes to the city isnt what we want at the end of the day. And now a lot of people have seen that it's not the only option.

I know people in my job were the option to work from home existed anyway but they never worked from home but now they don't want to go back to the office full time ever again, and that's coming from old school top management. At least we've two experiences now anyway.

Never thought I'd see it discussed at a national level in my life time. And vradkar showing us all his work from home setup!

Interesting times anyway!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,444 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I get what you are saying.

In terms of "relocation" , yes if someone moves from Dublin to live in west Kerry or something , then yes it's probably not unreasonable for their employer to adjust the salary accordingly. Companies that have multiple locations around the country already do this , I know mine does - Dublin carries a 10-15% premium over other locations.

But jobs are unlikely to move overseas in any great volumes just because of WFH - There are lots of other far more important factors.

This is all new territory for a lot of companies and people.

I've personally worked from home for the better part of 15 years and even in my company where pre-covid maybe 15-20% worked remotely this is a big change and it will take time for the best options to settle in and for everyone to find their comfort zone.

It will require changes to a lot of things and it will take time and will not be without pain (or indeed winners and losers) , but longer terms I firmly believe this is a positive thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Absolutely agree here.

So people aren't buying coffees/lunch in cafes etc. in town?

In the grand scheme of things , so what - That money is now being spend in the suburban and beyond localities on more groceries or lunches etc.

I highly doubt that now that places are open that there has been a significant net decrease in spending in these categories , it's just being spent in different places.

Totally agree on the hybrid approach , it's the one that makes the most sense - Have a building with desks and meeting spaces and people will come and go ad-hoc as needed.

Maybe come in once a week for team meetings or in blocks of days on a monthly basis for more extensive get togethers , but most people spending 70/80% of their time working remote.

There will be those that cannot work remote for various reasons , be they role related or just down to personal circumstances and that's fine too - All variations should be accommodated.

Blanket edicts of "Everybody in" or "Everybody Out" won't work in the long term.

Staff will leave if they aren't getting the flexibility that they want.
    I'm not saying its a massive deal but it would take a year or two for that change in spending to not be an issue. The businesses closed down in the city center just aren't immediately replaced in the suburbs. There's a decent delay between your IFSC coffee shop closing and a new one popping up in Rathfarnham. That will have an economic and social hit.

A much bigger worry will be bars/restaurants and generally nightlife, which can't be properly replaced with local alternatives in my opinion. Nightlife culture and the arts could take years to recover

• Registered Users Posts: 4,554 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

AdamD wrote: »
    I'm not saying its a massive deal but it would take a year or two for that change in spending to not be an issue. The businesses closed down in the city center just aren't immediately replaced in the suburbs. There's a decent delay between your IFSC coffee shop closing and a new one popping up in Rathfarnham. That will have an economic and social hit.

A much bigger worry will be bars/restaurants and generally nightlife, which can't be properly replaced with local alternatives in my opinion. Nightlife culture and the arts could take years to recover

Maybe if the bars/restaurants examined their pricing it might help.

• Advertisement

The arts in Dublin needs to try something different anyway as they are too dependent on the drinks industry.

It would be a lot of change but who knows, could be for the better in the long run.

I get what you are saying.

In terms of "relocation" , yes if someone moves from Dublin to live in west Kerry or something , then yes it's probably not unreasonable for their employer to adjust the salary accordingly. Companies that have multiple locations around the country already do this , I know mine does - Dublin carries a 10-15% premium over other locations.

But jobs are unlikely to move overseas in any great volumes just because of WFH - There are lots of other far more important factors.

This is all new territory for a lot of companies and people.

I've personally worked from home for the better part of 15 years and even in my company where pre-covid maybe 15-20% worked remotely this is a big change and it will take time for the best options to settle in and for everyone to find their comfort zone.

It will require changes to a lot of things and it will take time and will not be without pain (or indeed winners and losers) , but longer terms I firmly believe this is a positive thing.

I completely understand what you’re saying, it is obviously not a black and white subject.

Long term I can see plenty of positives and if people can spend more time with their families thats great, I just feel like it has to happen at a slower pace and not overnight as some seem to believe can happen.

I’m fortunate that I worked from home kind of when I wanted pre Covid, generally that was a couple of days a week and when this is all over (fingers crossed) I will carry on doing something similar, a hybrid would be ideal in my opinion but really that’s down to each individual organisation.

JeffKenna wrote: »
    Maybe if the bars/restaurants examined their pricing it might help.

Yeah were doing pretty damn well pre-covid, so I doubt its a pricing issue that's caused them to be repeatedly closed during a pandemic :rolleyes:

Christ.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,554 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Yeah were doing pretty damn well pre-covid, so I doubt its a pricing issue that's caused them to be repeatedly closed during a pandemic :rolleyes:

Christ.

What are you smoking?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

There are a lot of services that can be impacted by WFH:

- Transport (Buses to work, private buses hired by companies, chaffeurs hired by companies, transport for visitors from abroad as well as to the airport for trips abroad)
    - Cars (New car dealers less car sales, mechanics have less servicing/work to do, petrol stations now down on revenue as less people filling up/stopping for coffee/food including the chauffeurs/buses above, tyre places)
    - Office services (Cleaning staff no longer needed, rent no longer needed to be paid, bills etc no tax income and less demand for electricity companies, less need to purchase projectors/meeting room tables, coffee/tea delivery no longer needed anymore, vending machine goods, water cooler services, charity baskets,)
    - Local Shops/Coffee/Cafes/Hotels (Less demand overall for these businesses that are located in/near office districts. Lunch, Lunch with team, breakfast meals out, after work coffee/snack, lotto syndicates, catering services for office, rental of nearby business board rooms for training/upskilling, less visitors from abroad so less demand for local hotels, no more christmas parties (?), summer office bbqs and other events)
    - Other (Tailors - Drop in demand for suits/office clothes/shoes as work from home essentially means more casual dress code, interviews now online (?))

A few off the top of my head.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

I didn’t say they were, however the majority of these shops are in the city centre so with fewer people buying more shops go bust, more employees out of work, more benefits paid by the government, more taxes etc.

Yes these shops can relocate but what about the people who have invested their life savings and lost it all, they can’t just go open another business with no capital.

I’m really not saying it can’t happen but I do think the impact of half the country WFH forever will be far bigger than many seem to think, just my opinion of course!

In fairness, if you want guaranteed job security you don't open your own business.

I'm not unsympathetic to the plight of many of those whose businesses are now at risk, but there's so many other things to be taken into consideration.

For many years now, office workers have been made to feel that long gruelling commutes to communal buildings have been necessary in order for them to earn a living and do their job properly. Recent months have pulled the mask away and revealed that no, it's not necessary for many people at all. People can't unsee what they've seen and forcing people back into three hour daily commutes that they now know aren't necessary is not going to be easy. There will be huge resistance, massive lobbying, reluctant companies having to offer WFH to compete for the better staff, and the public and civil service having to follow suit for the same reason.

All this bringing staff back for the sake of the economy is just sticking plaster stuff. It's not going to make up for the huge loss of tourism, and the lack of all the office parties, returned emigrant get togethers and manic shopping that won't be happening this Christmas.

Dublin has, in recent decades, been taken away from its residents and street traders and turned into a space for tourists and office workers. The life and soul has been drained out of it, while investors and developers got richer and richer. Meanwhile the suburbs and dormer towns turned into ghost towns during the week as people spent hours every day travelling in and out of the city (where they could no longer afford to live) to work, and into places full of jaded commuters living in boxes, who barely know each other, at weekends.

If our economic model is based on this, then it's based on a very flawed premise and we should be taking a long hard look at it, not continuing to enable it.

When the local grocers and bakers and butchers and hardware shops all started closing down, there was a general attitude from govt that times change and businesses have to be adaptable and agile. Now that the wind is turning again, and it's their rich property owning pals who are the losers, it's suddenly 'no, let's get back to the status quo, can't have businesses going under'.

Economic models are meant to serve the needs of the citizens, not the wants of the greedy.

Acting as if asking people to go back to work in the city, with the consequent negative effects on family and community life, the environment and mental health and well being, is no big deal is disingenuous. It's a huge ask and I really hope people start demanding that their needs start to be put at the centre of Govt policies, not the needs of speculators and developers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭BrianD3

If WFH become commonplace there are going to be all manner of knock on effects. The State can try to "encourage" private sector workers to return to offices all it wants, it won't work, the market will decide. If city centre footfall is then mainly public servants who have been ordered back to the office so that they might buy a pannini at lunchtime, that won't work either - plus it will make the public service look like even more of a laughing stock than it is already.

On a micro scale, a few weeks ago I bought a hair clippers. I wasn't the only one either as they were sold out for a long time in Argos etc. Delighted with it, stupid of me not to buy one years ago. Give it a few more weeks and it will have paid for itself vs haircuts costing 15 euro a time. Bad for the barber obviously. Should I be encouraged to go to the barber and/or should the State compensate the barber for for the drop in his income. Maybe a tax should be slapped on hair clippers for home use? :rolleyes:

Yes! BellaBella putting whats in my head in words!

The mask analogy is really it for me. And so many people have experienced this now.

Getting us back to the office just seems like a way to prop up the bank accounts of a few for a **** week for the many. And it is quite blatant from Boris and Trump. I'll be disappointed to hear it officially from our government.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭JDD

I also agree with everything Bellabella said, though perhaps don't feel as strongly about it. I enjoyed office life, I miss it, and surprisingly I enjoyed my commute. I never really wanted to work from home because I thought I would be lonely, and I wouldn't be as productive.

Now I realise I can save money, eat healthier, pick my children up from after-school at a reasonable hour rather than stressing on public transport whether I was going to be there on time, or whether they felt neglected because they were always one of the last to be picked up. I can sleep for longer in the morning. I'm not spending my weekend doing laundry and cleaning the house because I can stay on top of it during the week.

When this all passes, and we go back into (probably smaller) offices 2/3 days a week, I will have the best of all worlds. This is the way it should have been years ago.

I feel very sorry for city centre businesses. This adjustment is too fast for many of them to survive. This isn't like the decline of the village shop. And there will be more people on the dole, and more liquidations and bailouts. And inevitably our taxes WILL go up to pay for it all. But from my own point of view, given the money I am saving, I will probably still be better off financially, even with a tax hike. And with all the other benefits of WFH plus the chance that our city centre will get a new breath of life from becoming cheaper to live in I can only see this situation as net benefit to our society.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭inthenip

If my office forces me back to the office every day even after the Virus is nearly obselete, ill be sending out my C.V.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

The younger crowd will 100% go back into the office for a Friday at least when things calm down some more.

I'm 24, and work in tech. I'm loving WFH, but if I had to pick one day to go into the office, it would be a Friday, so we can go for a drink or something after work. But I'm not going into the city center yet. It doesn't feel safe.

You cant really say on one hand you wouldn't like to go back to the city because it's not safe yet and on the other say you will go for after work drinks with colleagues !

Unless these drinks dont happen in the same city centre of course!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭beauf

You cant really say on one hand you wouldn't like to go back to the city because it's not safe yet and on the other say you will go for after work drinks with colleagues !

Unless these drinks dont happen in the same city centre of course!

He said ...but if I had to pick... context is everything...

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,444 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

The younger crowd will 100% go back into the office for a Friday at least when things calm down some more.

I'm 24, and work in tech. I'm loving WFH, but if I had to pick one day to go into the office, it would be a Friday, so we can go for a drink or something after work. But I'm not going into the city center yet. It doesn't feel safe.

Interesting - My company has always had WFH to some degree or other with most people taking at least 1 day a week WFH (I work remote 100% of the time)

The place has always been an absolute ghost town on a Friday - only those that absolutely have to be in the office to do their job tend to come in.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

BrianD3 wrote: »
    If WFH become commonplace there are going to be all manner of knock on effects. The State can try to "encourage" private sector workers to return to offices all it wants, it won't work, the market will decide. If city centre footfall is then mainly public servants who have been ordered back to the office so that they might buy a pannini at lunchtime, that won't work either - plus it will make the public service look like even more of a laughing stock than it is already.

On a micro scale, a few weeks ago I bought a hair clippers. I wasn't the only one either as they were sold out for a long time in Argos etc. Delighted with it, stupid of me not to buy one years ago. Give it a few more weeks and it will have paid for itself vs haircuts costing 15 euro a time. Bad for the barber obviously. Should I be encouraged to go to the barber and/or should the State compensate the barber for for the drop in his income. Maybe a tax should be slapped on hair clippers for home use? :rolleyes:

We bought one at the start of lockdown, great investment.

Kilboor wrote: »

- Transport (Buses to work, private buses hired by companies, chaffeurs hired by companies, transport for visitors from abroad as well as to the airport for trips abroad)
    - Cars (New car dealers less car sales, mechanics have less servicing/work to do, petrol stations now down on revenue as less people filling up/stopping for coffee/food including the chauffeurs/buses above, tyre places)
    - Office services (Cleaning staff no longer needed, rent no longer needed to be paid, bills etc no tax income and less demand for electricity companies, less need to purchase projectors/meeting room tables, coffee/tea delivery no longer needed anymore, vending machine goods, water cooler services, charity baskets,)
    - Local Shops/Coffee/Cafes/Hotels (Less demand overall for these businesses that are located in/near office districts. Lunch, Lunch with team, breakfast meals out, after work coffee/snack, lotto syndicates, catering services for office, rental of nearby business board rooms for training/upskilling, less visitors from abroad so less demand for local hotels, no more christmas parties (?), summer office bbqs and other events)
    - Other (Tailors - Drop in demand for suits/office clothes/shoes as work from home essentially means more casual dress code, interviews now online (?))

So i should have a lower quality of life to keep other businesses going who don't really care about their customers!

Not going to happen. My quality of life and the kids quality is way higher now.

Local coffee shop doing loads of business and even throws us a free one once a week. In town you had buy 10 or 8 to get a free one with limitations on that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭seamusk84

So i should have a lower quality of life to keep other businesses going who don't really care about their customers!

Local coffee shop doing loads of business and even throws us a free one once a week. In town you had buy 10 or 8 to get a free one with limitations on that

You are bang on mate. Now is the chance to really change our lives for the better and go towards a new approach of living locally and supporting our communities.
    Not to mention finally gaining lost time to spent it instead with the chislers and actually be a parent!
    We need to take some positives out of this situation and yeah I realize the transition will be hard on the economy but we will be all the better for it in future after the pain.
    Also, good that we are not going to be buying loads of cars to clog up the roads and commute in to the cities polluting the air...What kind of a mad point is that.

Worth keeping in mind not everyone was utterly miserable or had a nasty commute before. The people who commuted several hours a day are of course strongly advocating for change, but that absolutely wasn't everyone.

If you lived further out, in a more spacious house but with a big commute, this change is a huge positive.

I chose to live closer in, with less space but a nice handy commute - this change is not a positive.

Keyword there being now. Do you understand an economy is dependent on everyone spending and working? Your quality of life will not be too good in a few years with higher taxes supporting unemployed unskilled workers and generally less money flowing around. Be as selfish as you want right now and about your own quality of life but the economy is dependent on all sectors, my own situation is much better now than it was working in the office and I'm saving a good bunch but to think this can last long term is absolutely insane. If you want to be selfish and you really care about your kids and your quality of life in the future then you would understand that every business and bit of money spent and paid in salaries is important.

Be very careful about this current situation, the knock on effects will not be pretty.

Worth keeping in mind not everyone was utterly miserable or had a nasty commute before. The people who commuted several hours a day are of course strongly advocating for change, but that absolutely wasn't everyone.

If you lived further out, in a more spacious house but with a big commute, this change is a huge positive.

I chose to live closer in, with less space but a nice handy commute - this change is not a positive.

Sorry to hear that, but offices will be open still just not as big.
    You had the benefits for the last few years, now its changing to suit people further out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

For many years now, office workers have been made to feel that long gruelling commutes to communal buildings have been necessary in order for them to earn a living and do their job properly. Recent months have pulled the mask away and revealed that no, it's not necessary for many people at all. People can't unsee what they've seen and forcing people back into three hour daily commutes that they now know aren't necessary is not going to be easy. There will be huge resistance, massive lobbying, reluctant companies having to offer WFH to compete for the better staff, and the public and civil service having to follow suit for the same reason.

I agree with you fully aside from this. Honestly, once the gov says its fine for everyone to go back to the office, employers will tell us to go back and thats it. I know, im in that situation. We were WFH from march to July 20th with no problems. The on the 20th our office decided its time to get everyone back, covid bedamned. Even recently when the govt advised people to WFH wherever possible, our office just said "we dont see any issues arising so keep coming in to the office". I protested and was politely told i could continue to WFH as much as i liked as long as i got someone to cover for me in the office mon - fri 9-5. So i had no choice as there is no one to cover for me, it was a nice way of them telling me to suck it and get back in the office basically. Aside from the big tech companies that can afford to send their employees home for the forseeable, everyone else is too engrained in office culture and spending too much money on rent to let the offices sit idle and not force us peons to come in and work. Tho hopefully ill be able to keep a mix of WFH & Office at least, as im only doing 3 days in the office currently.

I agree with you fully aside from this. Honestly, once the gov says its fine for everyone to go back to the office, employers will tell us to go back and thats it. I know, im in that situation. We were WFH from march to July 20th with no problems. The on the 20th our office decided its time to get everyone back, covid bedamned. Even recently when the govt advised people to WFH wherever possible, our office just said "we dont see any issues arising so keep coming in to the office". I protested and was politely told i could continue to WFH as much as i liked as long as i got someone to cover for me in the office mon - fri 9-5. So i had no choice as there is no one to cover for me, it was a nice way of them telling me to suck it and get back in the office basically. Aside from the big tech companies that can afford to send their employees home for the forseeable, everyone else is too engrained in office culture and spending too much money on rent to let the offices sit idle and not force us peons to come in and work. Tho hopefully ill be able to keep a mix of WFH & Office at least, as im only doing 3 days in the office currently.

In a nutshell this sums it up very well, if your employer tells you to go back to the office then basically you go. I’ve seen a few posts from people stating they won’t go even once COVID has gone and will be handing in their notice if forced to do so, without being rude unless you’re an absolute superstar and indispensable to the organisation they won’t really care, there will sadly be plenty of people out of work happy to take the role on.

Keyword there being now. Do you understand an economy is dependent on everyone spending and working? Your quality of life will not be too good in a few years with higher taxes supporting unemployed unskilled workers and generally less money flowing around. Be as selfish as you want right now and about your own quality of life but the economy is dependent on all sectors, my own situation is much better now than it was working in the office and I'm saving a good bunch but to think this can last long term is absolutely insane. If you want to be selfish and you really care about your kids and your quality of life in the future then you would understand that every business and bit of money spent and paid in salaries is important.

Be very careful about this current situation, the knock on effects will not be pretty.

Really, Economy will just change and move, like it did from late 90's to early 00's

You don't seem to be too worried the way pubs and coffee shops shutdown in towns during the last 10 years as everyone moved to Dublin?

How did the economy survive in the early 00's when most people went home at the weekends and dublin was a ghost town?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,737 ✭✭✭Naos

I understand that services will be impacted but if you actually stop and think about what you're saying...

You want people who can currently do a job perfectly fine from home to go back to 2 hour commutes and spend money on petrol/tolls/public transport/cafes/office attire in order to prop up a few businesses hours from where they live.

It would be akin to having a nail in your foot and every week, you have to call a taxi to bring you to a doctor, so they can give you a prescription in order to buy painkillers from a chemist and instead of just removing the nail, we say "Sorry but you need to keep the nail in your foot or else the taxi, doctor & chemist will go out of business".

In a nutshell this sums it up very well, if your employer tells you to go back to the office then basically you go. I’ve seen a few posts from people stating they won’t go even once COVID has gone and will be handing in their notice if forced to do so, without being rude unless you’re an absolute superstar and indispensable to the organisation they won’t really care, there will sadly be plenty of people out of work happy to take the role on.

Except in IT where there is a shortage.

We been told at least till the end of 2021 before the office hits 50% capacity.

• Advertisement

Naos wrote: »
    I understand that services will be impacted but if you actually stop and think about what you're saying...

You want people who can currently doing a job perfectly fine from home to go back to 2 hour commutes and spend money on petrol/tolls/public transport/cafes/office attire in order to prop up a few businesses hours from where they live.

It would be akin to every week calling a taxi to visit a doctor, so they can give you a prescription in order to buy painkillers from a chemist because you've a nail in your foot and instead of removing the nail, we say "Sorry but you need to keep the nail in your foot or else the taxi, doctor & chemist will go out of business".

I travelled 10 minutes to work, to walk was 50 minutes. Not everyone is stuck commuting in Dublin every day.

I'm not asking for people to do this again I'm saying we don't have a solution for all those services lost. It's extremely dangerous for everyone

Advertisement