Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working From Home Megathread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

Kilboor wrote: »
    Mental health is debatable to be honest. Depends on the circumstance. Take young people again, living and renting a room and now forced to work in it too. A lot of people with short 10-20 minute trips to work also like the drives as it helps to clear the head.

I can see the other side's too though of course particularly for people with families

Yes but the reason they're living in a rented room is because they're being forced to rent in expensive cities where the offices are. I think a mix of working from home plus regional hubs and commuting to the city a day or two a week would be an option that would suit all situations and stages of life.

That's not what I said at all. I'm jealous.
    If its working out for people and everyone is happy thenppppp keep it going as long as you can.

Apologies, I misunderstood your post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

That's not what I said at all. I'm jealous.
    If its working out for people and everyone is happy thenppppp keep it going as long as you can.

I didn’t read it that way, I found it very genuine. I appreciate the sentiment, and your work, whatever that may be :).

For my part, I ordinarily work in an industrial estate so all the industry we were supporting was the (sh*te) subsidised canteen. Those workers will be kept on and redeployed as necessary, their jobs are in no danger thankfully. I have always been very mindful of business in my area and rarely leave it for the services I avail of, even if they’re a bit over the going rate. I’ve added a lunch out once a week close by with a couple of neighbours who are also working from home to support a local cafe because I appreciate that we have businesses like that in the area and would like them to remain afloat.

I think I’m looking at going back once every 2 weeks in the future. I’ve said it before, our company was a bit lopsided. Mine and other departments had all the freedom in the world to work from home but we generally only availed of it once or twice a week. Other departments, mainly down to management, had no such freedom. It was difficult in the beginning but they’re definitely improving now. Everyone needs an opportunity to learn.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

Yes but the reason they're living in a rented room is because they're being forced to rent in expensive cities where the offices are. I think a mix of working from home plus regional hubs and commuting to the city a day or two a week would be an option that would suit all situations and stages of life.

Have you seen rents lately? Ennis is now on average 1000 euro, Limerick is 1100, even Portlaoise is 1000 euro.

Makes no difference where they are. Rent isn't cheap anywhere. That would be more than half a new grads wages especially if hired on now lower than Dublin wages.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

Have you seen rents lately? Ennis is now on average 1000 euro, Limerick is 1100, even Portlaoise is 1000 euro.

Makes no difference where they are. Rent isn't cheap anywhere. That would be more than half a new grads wages especially if hired on now lower than Dublin wages.

But in Ennis for a 1000 you'd be getting 3 or 4 bedrooms would you?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Apologies, I misunderstood your post.

All good

hetuzozaho wrote: »
    But in Ennis for a 1000 you'd be getting 3 or 4 bedrooms would you?

At times yes but even a 2 bedroom apartment will be north of 900.

Our

Yes but they're all towns and cities. Wfh would mean people could live more rurally and still have plenty of job opportunities.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

It actually benefits many in terms of family life, work life Balance, community life and mental health.

What you do you think matters more to the government - people happier because they have an extra few hours in the week to spend with their families or a healthy and prosperous economy?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

Don't you understand the negative impacts of unemployment as well as loss of livelihood for people ? So what says you. I bet the entrepreneur, the employees, the agencies and eventually you when you're forced to pay more tax for the unemployed will care

Do you not think that somehow the service sector would adapt. Like it always does. If people aren’t spending €50 a week on coffee and a sandwich they will spend that €50 elsewhere. Maybe towns outside of the cities might come back to life. I am not in Dublin but because I don’t have cost of my commute at moment and I am not buying lunch I have more disposable income and I like to spend my money local.

Until tourism comes back to Dublin the service sector is in trouble and sending in the office workers isn’t going to save it alone. Especially if the all students aren’t going to be full time on campus many might opt to commute up the days they need to. Also with restrictions in place many people are doing more online shopping then ever. It is not just lack of office workers that is driving the drop in footfall.

Just like how many shops and pubs have closed their doors forever in rural Ireland we may see a decline in the number of sandwich shops in Dublin. There will always be entrepreneurs who spot business opportunities and that will continue whether or not people wfh, the office or both.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

Most young people will always share accommodation. Very few will be able to afford to love alone.

Never mind the negative side of young people sleeping and working in their bedroom, working in an office environment is a great social outlet for many people, especially people new to town. So many people meet friends for life or their partners through work. Especially younger people who have grown up in a digital age, it’s not healthy for their emotional development to not have a normal work setting.

What you do you think matters more to the government - people happier because they have an extra few hours in the week to spend with their families or a healthy and prosperous economy?

Do you really think its just a few extra hours with family? It's a complete shift in work life Balance, more prosperous local economies, properly functioning communities, more affordable housing and a healthier and more sustainable environment.

Most young people will always share accommodation. Very few will be able to afford to live alone.

Nevermind the negative side of young people sleeping and working in their bedroom, working in an office environment is a great social outlet for many people, especially people new to town. So many people meet friends for life or their partners through work. Especially younger people who have grown up in a digital age and are perhaps a hit socially awkward, it’s not healthy for their emotional development to not have a normal work setting and have that daily social interaction.

Yes, which is why most people aren't advocating for compulsory full time working from home. People want flexibility so that people at all ages and stages of life can have a healthy work life Balance, children won't be spending 12 hours a day in childcare and communities won't be dying a death. That's what's been happening in the last 20 years and it needs to stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Hego Damask

Getting tired of this neverending working from home, fuxake how long will this fuxing **** go on for ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,737 ✭✭✭Naos

At times yes but even a 2 bedroom apartment will be north of 900.

I cannot find a single 2 bedroom apartment north of 900 in Ennis. Once you go past 900e it's all 3beds:

https://www.daft.ie/clare/residential-property-for-rent/ennis/?s%5Bmnp%5D=900&s%5Bignored_agents%5D%5B0%5D=1551

Can you tell me what you're looking at please?

Naos wrote: »
    I cannot find a single 2 bedroom apartment north of 900 in Ennis. Once you go past 900e it's all 3beds:

https://www.daft.ie/clare/residential-property-for-rent/ennis/?s%5Bmnp%5D=900&s%5Bignored_agents%5D%5B0%5D=1551

Can you tell me what you're looking at please?

https://touch.daft.ie/for-rent/apartment-millstream-court-ennis-co-clare/2563871

Sure there's one at 900 for you. Now show me all the houses suitable for young graduates who may choose to live in Ennis of all places? That are reasonably priced of course and would justify a move to a town not particularly glamourous for young people.

For 100/200 extra you can rent a house in Limerick. The rent prices in smaller towns (even smaller again look at Portlaoise) are insane, that was my initial point. There's a loss of quality of social life and you end up paying still a lot of rent.

I might add that I'm not against work from home as a policy but I wish people could be less rash in saying it's a win win situation and that there's no major negatives. For the middle aged people here with houses families and space in sure it's fecking fantastic... Not easy for younger people, I know I would ****ing hate it if I was starting work

• Registered Users Posts: 8,684 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Dublin pubs closed so the city is under the NPHET-FFFG Level 3 - So continue to work from home... most likely until October...

• Registered Users Posts: 1 LisaSam

I would be worried about the broader economic and social implications of work from home becoming a permanent thing, namely:

- Dead(er) atmosphere in city centres
    - Lack of unskilled employment opportunities for students/unskilled workers
    - Lack of proper social interaction for young people in the workspace, especially straight from college
    - General economic slow down from less spending on cars, travel, food and after work activities as well as unemployment now caused from shops/cafes/restaurants/pubs and other various industries dependent
    - Upskilling of the unskilled workers above causing squeeze on current IT jobs i.e. more competition for your job
    - Easier outsourcing of jobs abroad i.e. more competition for your job
    - Overall greater strain on government treasury with unemployment
    - Squeeze on rents/house prices outside of Dublin

There are more IT companies who are outsourcing their software development tasks. They are looking for experienced developers with high skills and other abilities. I have even worked with people whom I have never seen from different countries. Many software development outsourcing companies like Nuvento, the one which I chose for my project, are also offering winning technology solutions. I also believe that working from home will leave a huge gap in the general company atmosphere and also the job security particularly for the IT industry when going forward. Regardless of that factor, IT companies will continue outsourcing to save cost while getting the job done well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭recyclops

I really miss my commute, miss that hour and a half alone listening to a podcast.

As for the spending money locally aspect, nope its all spent online or saving for a holiday out of the country as the coffee is reasonably cheap when you don't leave your kitchen ( I go for a run at lunch)

I hate finishing at 5 and having time to kill as I've no real news or daily experiences to discuss with the wife, we have already made dinner and if its raining then it's probably another movie or sitting in front of TV for longer than I should, we've been reading, playing boardgames etc.

I also firmly believe its having a negative effect on people's mental health and cabin fever, loneliness and isolation will only get worse when winter creeps in.

Get us back in the office for 3 days. Il easily take two but this full time no thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,554 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

recyclops wrote: »
    I really miss my commute, miss that hour and a half alone listening to a podcast.

As for the spending money locally aspect, nope its all spent online or saving for a holiday out of the country as the coffee is reasonably cheap when you don't leave your kitchen ( I go for a run at lunch)

I hate finishing at 5 and having time to kill as I've no real news or daily experiences to discuss with the wife, we have already made dinner and if its raining then it's probably another movie or sitting in front of TV for longer than I should, we've been reading, playing boardgames etc.

I also firmly believe its having a negative effect on people's mental health and cabin fever, loneliness and isolation will only get worse when winter creeps in.

Get us back in the office for 3 days. Il easily take two but this full time no thanks.

Sounds like you're stuck in a rut more than anything to be honest.

• Advertisement

Correct, as I'm stuck in my house for an extra in 42 or so hours than I normally wouldnt be, that's what I want to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,554 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Correct, as I'm stuck in my house for an extra in 42 or so hours than I normally would be, that's what I want to change.

Maybe get out and do something in the evenings?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

Finding working from home taking a bit of a toll now that the mornings are bleak and grey. Might be different if I wasn't in a small city centre apartment however.

If I'd have known it was going to go on this long, I'd have moved out and into the country somewhere for half the price and 3 times the space.

Saying that, I'm thankful for the job and understand people are in a much worse position.

JeffKenna wrote: »
    Maybe get out and do something in the evenings?

I do, I walk, play golf same as I did when in the office. I don't play football as my group ain't returned yet. But I now have around 5 hours each evening compared to three or so

My after work life hasn't really changed its the being in my house more that's my problem. I admit it's my problem and some love it. I just ain't a fan.

Feel these issues could be fixed in other ways. Like just go listen to your podcast? Go for a walk and listen to it. Clear the head. Get a bus somewhere if you like it?

Feel these issues could be fixed in other ways. Like just go listen to your podcast? Go for a walk and listen to it. Clear the head. Get a bus somewhere if you like it?
    I am doin all these things. Except the bus.

But as I've said above they are not the problem just things I miss. The problem is being in my house too much and having way more time to kill than I previously had.

I am filling it and it was easy with the good summer we had. It won't be as easy in a couple of weeks time.

I am doin all these things. Except the bus.

But as I've said above they are not the problem just things I miss. The problem is being in my house too much and having way more time to kill than I previously had.

I am filling it and it was easy with the good summer we had. It won't be as easy in a couple of weeks time.

Maybe gaming. A commute simulator game :) actually... that's my idea!

Maybe gaming. A commute simulator game :) actually... that's my idea!
    If you look at my post history you'll see I spend too much time in xbox and playstation forums haha

These ideas are all good. Prob why I do most of them but none fix the problem of being stuck in my kitchen majority of the week haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Thierry12

People are not thinking long term on WFH

Its an old married persons setup

Imagine your 18 years old

Do they think an 18 year old wants to finish to college and WFH for life at 21 after college, its a miserable existence

• Advertisement

Thierry12 wrote: »
    People are not thinking long term on WFH

Its an old married persons setup

Imagine your 18 years old

Do they think an 18 year old wants to finish to college and WFH for life at 21 after college, its a miserable existence

It doesn't have to be miserable. It doesn't mean sitting in your kitchen all week going forward. Obviously things a bit tricky with the ol pandemic.

From https://dbei.gov.ie/en/Consultations/Public-Consultation-on-Guidance-for-Remote-Working.html

"Remote working includes both working from home or working from another location that is not your office, for example: 

a hub
    an enterprise, innovation or community hub
    a co-working space
    working while travelling
    a mixture of locations, e.g. home/office, home/hub, office/hub "

We've had guys working with us and travelling around europe at the same time.

Advertisement