Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working From Home Megathread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

HerrKuehn wrote: »
    If they were looking to reduce emissions, they could target it to employees with long commutes, e.g. someone travelling up to Dublin from Gorey

Why?
    What about all the cars idling in traffic jams from Tallaght and Swords and Dunboyne and Naas.

Do you own a sandwich bar by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭DaveCliftonAP

Only lazy people think wfh is better than having to go to work. And most of you will even turn morbidly obese like what happened to Homer Simpson when he was doing it. Thankfully none of you lazy fat idiots are managing a nuclear reactor like Homer was.

Homer got morbidly obese so that he could work from home, not while he was working from home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Only lazy people think wfh is better than having to go to work. And most of you will even turn morbidly obese like what happened to Homer Simpson when he was doing it. Thankfully none of you lazy fat idiots are managing a nuclear reactor like Homer was.

Laughed hard at this. Funny guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭JDD

I am in work in the IFSC for the first time today.

It is..... crap, to be totally honest. There is maybe five of us on a floor that holds over 200. It is deathly quiet. All the amenities inside the building are closed. You can't even get a glass of water. All the chairs around me are covered in clear plastic. It's like working in a sterile, abandoned hospital.

The Luas was mercifully quiet. O'Connell St has a very different feel. Like I had come into work on a Sunday by mistake. Lots of homeless about. Other than that the place was deserted.

I won't be coming back in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,592 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

JDD wrote: »
    I am in work in the IFSC for the first time today.

It is..... crap, to be totally honest. There is maybe five of us on a floor that holds over 200. It is deathly quiet

I've been the only one in where 200 would be when fully occupied and it can be deathly quiet. And I quite enjoy it.

But I like the walk in and home too.

I've been the only one in where 200 would be when fully occupied and it can be deathly quiet. And I quite enjoy it.

But I like the walk in and home too.

Fair enough. It's too eerie for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,592 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Fair enough. It's too eerie for me.

Maybe it's a difference in the building. I'm by a window that's from the floor to the ceiling and I have a lovely view.

But most of the time I don't notice who isn't there because I have two screens in front of me. And maybe I'm just accustomed to it now because I've been here a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,973 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Told today we're now 1st January at least before we go back

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

titan18 wrote: »
    Told today we're now 1st January at least before we go back

Us too.

I'm renting, I wouldn't mind some longer term plans. Like most leases want 12 months. Be nice to know you could take a lease and even with a vaccine don't sweat coming back on site.

I know it's difficult situation for companies. But it's a real can being kicked down the road with the updates. When they are happy enough with how things are, I think... Bah

• Advertisement

hetuzozaho wrote: »
    Us too.

I'm renting, I wouldn't mind some longer term plans. Like most leases want 12 months. Be nice to know you could take a lease and even with a vaccine don't sweat coming back on site.

I know it's difficult situation for companies. But it's a real can being kicked down the road with the updates. When they are happy enough with how things are, I think... Bah

Ya. Ours was the same. When we went wfh in march, it was seeing where we are in May, then that went to August 10th for phase 5, then that went to 1st October and now 1st January.

And I can't see us back in 1st January either so that date will likely be kicked out to April or whenever this 5 stage plan thing is due to end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Ours has constantly moved as well. Unofficially they keep muttering about moving it forward, but never gets further than muttering. Officially it keeps getting moved back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭wally1990

About 95% of my office in cork is back (based in airport business park) , and we can and have been working from home since march to Sep (admin roles)

We are implementing social distancing in the office but it is still against the main advice of work from home where possible except for training and induction etc as part of level 2

My manager doesn't believe that we should be at home because '' the office is our place of work '' and we should be in yet we can 100% work remotely and have done with no impact to performance (literally no impact, out profits are up, our kpis are up and no productivity issues ) but she doesn't believe in it

It has caused huge anger with staff and it's demoralising them completely and we don't have a HR dept but now people want to make official complaints and don't know where to turn

Our manager is saying it's not law and only guidelines and we can do over 2m inside the office (yet one team is choosing to sit right next to each ignoring the rules)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Jucifer

Can’t believe it is likely to be a full year working from home, or thereabouts. It suits me due to a very long commute. Still longing to be in a situation with COVID gone and still WFH most of week. One can dream I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Which is the best, no Covid and back to the office mon-fri 9 to 5. Or current situation doing wfh watching ireland am, this morning, news at 12:30, news at 1, home and away, neighbours, countdown, Elaine, a place in the sun, judge Judy, news at 5:30, the 6 o’clock show then finish work??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭wally1990

Which is the best, no Covid and back to the office mon-fri 9 to 5. Or current situation doing wfh watching ireland am, this morning, news at 12:30, news at 1, home and away, neighbours, countdown, Elaine, a place in the sun, judge Judy, news at 5:30, the 6 o’clock show then finish work??

Not everyone is doing that
    I had a designated area in my home and literally worked from 09am straight through to my finish time as I would in the office ,
    don't tarnish the WFH as if people are slacking (people slack in the office too)

You may be over sharing.

wally1990 wrote: »
    I ...

Obviously someone is...

Jucifer wrote: »
    Can’t believe it is likely to be a full year working from home, or thereabouts. It suits me due to a very long commute. Still longing to be in a situation with COVID gone and still WFH most of week. One can dream I suppose.

I'd just like the option at this stage of going in. I was able to wfh pre covid and did it usually once or maybe twice a week but all 5 days is a bit painful. If I could go in one day a week atm, I'd be happy enough. Wouldn't want to risk much more than that but be nice to see people in work again

About 95% of my office in cork is back (based in airport business park) , and we can and have been working from home since march to Sep (admin roles)

We are implementing social distancing in the office but it is still against the main advice of work from home where possible except for training and induction etc as part of level 2

My manager doesn't believe that we should be at home because '' the office is our place of work '' and we should be in yet we can 100% work remotely and have done with no impact to performance (literally no impact, out profits are up, our kpis are up and no productivity issues ) but she doesn't believe in it

It has caused huge anger with staff and it's demoralising them completely and we don't have a HR dept but now people want to make official complaints and don't know where to turn

Our manager is saying it's not law and only guidelines and we can do over 2m inside the office (yet one team is choosing to sit right next to each ignoring the rules)

Managers like that are a bloody menace, putting their own insecure need to control and micro manage ahead of public health and safety.

• Advertisement

I had a designated area in my home and literally worked from 09am straight through to my finish time as I would in the office ,
    don't tarnish the WFH as if people are slacking (people slack in the office too)

I’m presuming he’s trying to be funny. But unfortunately people going around spouting stuff like that just give false ammunition to all the anti wfhers who are desperate to see everyone frogmarched back into the office.

You could always contact the health and safety authority anonymously if safety guidelines are being breached.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

You might not have a HR dept there but there has to be one somewhere in the firm. As a group you need to log a formal complaint against her.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I’m presuming he’s trying to be funny. But unfortunately people going around spouting stuff like that just give false ammunition to all the anti wfhers who are desperate to see everyone frogmarched back into the office.

Your job is supposed to appoint at least workplace representative to deal with covid health issues who can raise breaches.

Reality is that your back in the office because your manager can't hack WDH, it probably makes her role redundant if guidelines are being breached then contact authorities

I know a few of you are hankering to be allowed back for a day or two to the office, but be careful what you wish for. It's not the same as you remember it. Even if you were allowed to come in a couple of days a week, a sizeable majority would choose not to, and then those who do will probably be in a different day from you. In fairness to my place, they've done trojan work in trying to keep the building as safe as possible, but in doing so has made the building pretty awful to work in. We had a lovely coffee shop in our building - now closed. We had a nice canteen - now only serving prepacked cold meals. No cold water tap to fill your water bottle. Nice breakout areas, all closed. One way system through the building. Yellow posters and stickers everywhere, hand sanitiser everywhere. One cleaning person on each floor just constantly wiping doors and banisters. It just depressed me. We also have a lovely view, and that was literally the only benefit to being in there.

Returning to WFH today and god my house is so much nicer to work in. I guess I had to go into work to really see it for myself. I'm now completely happy to wait until Jan/Feb/whenever they tell us to come back in however many days a week. The only reason the office is better than home is the craic with colleagues - remove the colleagues and there's literally no point.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

I know a few of you are hankering to be allowed back for a day or two to the office, but be careful what you wish for. It's not the same as you remember it. Even if you were allowed to come in a couple of days a week, a sizeable majority would choose not to, and then those who do will probably be in a different day from you. In fairness to my place, they've done trojan work in trying to keep the building as safe as possible, but in doing so has made the building pretty awful to work in. We had a lovely coffee shop in our building - now closed. We had a nice canteen - now only serving prepacked cold meals. No cold water tap to fill your water bottle. Nice breakout areas, all closed. One way system through the building. Yellow posters and stickers everywhere, hand sanitiser everywhere. One cleaning person on each floor just constantly wiping doors and banisters. It just depressed me. We also have a lovely view, and that was literally the only benefit to being in there.

Returning to WFH today and god my house is so much nicer to work in. I guess I had to go into work to really see it for myself. I'm now completely happy to wait until Jan/Feb/whenever they tell us to come back in however many days a week. The only reason the office is better than home is the craic with colleagues - remove the colleagues and there's literally no point.

This is very similar to how my Husband felt the 1 day he needed to go into the Office since March 13th.
    He likewise is in no hurry back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭swampgas

I would feel the same. However I have some colleagues who work late shifts as they work with US clients, and some of them prefer to be in the office to avoid disturbing sleeping kids or spouses when on conference calls. This mostly affects people with young families who do not have access to a "soundproof" room where thy can work without disturbing the rest of the household, and those who are in house-shares.

But your point still stands, there is very little craic or buzz in the offices now.

Yes I haven’t been in the office in months but anyone who has been back says it’s dead, none of the usual in and out of each other’s rooms chatting, only 3 or 4 people allowed in the canteen at any one time, and loads of rooms lying empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Szero

Despite the clear government advise for Phase 3 for Dublin that one must "work from home unless absolutely necessary to attend in person", my employer is keeping the office open, telling everyone that they can continue to come into the office if they want and said it is great to continue to welcome people back. FFS.

Who is policing this? Will Gardai be stopping cars on Monday and asking why people are going into offices? This is needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I'm just trying to collate all the public health guidelines on gov.ie in relation to WFH in the various "Phases" (i.e. the Roadmap) and "Levels" (i.e. Resilience and Recovery 2020-2021: Plan for Living with COVID-19)

The website is a mess - links that should be pointing to the roadmap are pointing to the later plan.

We should all be able to easily look back through the history of the measures and advice during this pandemic - not just what applies currently.

But here is what I have so far:

15th September Level 2
    https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/18e18-level-2/#work
    Work from home if possible.
    If you can work from home, you are advised to only attend work for essential on-site meetings, inductions and training.

15th September Level 3
    https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/ad569-level-3/#work
    Work from home unless absolutely necessary to attend in person.

21st August - Special advice for those living in Kildare
    https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/7b237-special-advice-for-those-living-in-kildare-laois-and-offaly-friday-7-august-2020/?referrer=http://www.gov.ie/en/publication/7b237-special-advice-for-those-living-in-kildare-laois-and-offaly-thursday-6-august-2020/
    You should work from home unless absolutely necessary.

18th August - New Measures to Limit Spread
    https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/77b6d-statement-on-the-introduction-of-new-measures-to-limit-the-spread-of-covid-19/
    Unless it is absolutely essential for an employee to attend in person, they should work from home

7th August - Measures for Laois Offaly Kildare
    https://www.gov.ie/en/speech/ea0cf-address-by-an-taoiseach-micheal-martin-td-on-covid-19-measures-in-kildare-laois-and-offaly/
    Those who can work from home should do so, and we are asking employers to facilitate their employees in every way possible, for these two weeks, to do that

29th June - Phase 3 of the Roadmap
    https://assets.gov.ie/77920/d0d6c6c1-865c-424d-af6b-b3c93c18c501.pdf
    Continue to work from home as much as possible

18th May - Phase 1 of the Roadmap
    https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/ad5dd0-easing-the-covid-19-restrictions-on-may-18-phase-1/?referrer=/phase1/
    Remote working is to continue for all workers or businesses that can do so.

That's a start but can anyone fill in the gaps?

Advertisement