Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working From Home Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭timeToLive

afatbollix wrote: »
    I took all my kit from work.

It's not like they needed the monitors in the office. Same with my very good office chair. Took it home at the beginning.

I did buy some lights from Ikea as it's getting darker these days, wait until it's dark by 4 pm, and only using that main room light. I bought 3 lights with those smart bulbs, They offer a blue light more like daylight and I have them lighting up the room I am working in.

Just to add I will only work in a job that is mostly WFH from now on. I'll take that pay cut if needed.

What type of lamps and bulbs do you have? Looking to get some..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭afatbollix

These ones:
    https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/tradfri-led-bulb-e27-806-lumen-wireless-dimmable-warm-white-globe-warm-white-opal-white-90408797/

You will need a remote too which I have stuck to the wall beside my desk.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,865 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Except in IT. You can demand what you want there right now. The amount of invites asking me to give them a shout etc is unreal.

For me I would like the work from home as 3 days at home and 2 days in the office, so it will work with the kids sport in the evenings.

Also cheaper for companies to downgrade office space

Yep, our crowd are doing exactly that and blended working/WFH will become a permanent feature going forward.

I'm quite happy at home. I get more done, no random walk-ups, and confidentiality when I need to deal with sensitive escalation or staffing issue (I hate open-plan offices). BUT I'm lucky to have the space (spare room that I've turned into a home office long before CV-19) and quiet (live alone) to do this. Not everyone has that.

I don't miss the craic because, well.. there wasn't any! I don't miss the hour-ish each way commute, I don't miss the lack of a proper canteen. My role can be done entirely over the phone/Teams/email.

Any calls I've gotten from recruiters, I've asked what the client's WFH/flexible working arrangements are like. I won't be going back to a 9-5 sitting in an office every day unless it's the last option TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,622 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

afatbollix wrote: »
    These ones:
    https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/tradfri-led-bulb-e27-806-lumen-wireless-dimmable-warm-white-globe-warm-white-opal-white-90408797/

You will need a remote too which I have stuck to the wall beside my desk.

A remote:eek:

One of the things thats definitely recommended when WFH is to get up and move about often.

A walk to the light switch won't kill ye!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭afatbollix

NIMAN wrote: »
    A remote:eek:

One of the things thats definitely recommended when WFH is to get up and move about often.

A walk to the light switch won't kill ye!:D

I really ask Alexia to turn them off. :pac:

I was on a call the other day to a guy who had a stand up desk and a flat treadmill and spent the hour walking along.
    When I have my outside office I'm going to get one.

530079.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

GDK_11 wrote: »
    Personal opinion unless you’re a superstar you won’t be in a position to demand anything, if your company want you back you either go back or leave.

Whenever COVID is finally gone we will be left with an employers market, if you demand to WFH and they don’t want you to, there will be thousands unemployed waiting to take that role. It will be far easier for an employer to replace you then it will be for you to find a suitable role (when I say you I’m not specifically targeting you, more the general public).

That said I think most employers will take a hybrid approach!

Many companies cant keep paying rent for empty offices. Either they will down size the space or people will be coming back to their desks.

Some staff who want to continue working from home will hand in notices or at least they think they will but when the time comes there may not be that many available vacancies. Tunes may have to change.
    Like you said it will be an employer's market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭Jimson

Any predictions when we will back?

Cant see it for 2021.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭2lazytogetup

Jimson wrote: »
    Any predictions when we will back?

Cant see it for 2021.

we wont have the vaccine to everyone in 2021 and same risks will remain.

Though i wonder if people will get fed up of working from home and just go back to offices. which i think will happen. id say june or july 2021.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭2lazytogetup

it looks like a pain in the neck trying to claim working from home expenses. https://www.revenue.ie/en/jobs-and-pensions/eworking/index.aspx

i wonder if i just try and claim 3.20euro a day would Revenue be okay with that as they have accepted thats the general cost that employers can provide.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

it looks like a pain in the neck trying to claim working from home expenses. https://www.revenue.ie/en/jobs-and-pensions/eworking/index.aspx

i wonder if i just try and claim 3.20euro a day would Revenue be okay with that as they have accepted thats the general cost that employers can provide.

Nope

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

hots wrote: »
    Amazon for gear like that, there's dirt cheap options all the time, if you want something nicer wait for black friday maybe. I'm going from a laptop in the kitchen to a proper setup in a separate room over the next few weeks, 600 quid all in I'd say, and that's with a flash enough monitor.

Work provided everything for us, fitted out the office etc in the house

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭onrail

Well, with this 'breakthrough' vaccine news, do people think we'll be back to the office in the new year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

We were told Friday on a call WFH until Q3 next year at the earliest. Based on that, I might take the opportunity upon lease review in January to cut my rent costs and get out of Dublin for a year to a regional area whilst at the same time adding additional office space in an extra room.(Currently working in my room). Even when things come back, there will be not much emphasis on people going back.

I suspect this time next year things will be relatively normalish with 2022 looking full steam ahead. :-)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

onrail wrote: »
    Well, with this 'breakthrough' vaccine news, do people think we'll be back to the office in the new year?

My company are going the hybrid model

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

onrail wrote: »

My company is developing a hybrid model. Looks like we'll be shedding some office space we'll no longer need.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Sorry, if already posted- any recommendations for a stand up desk (one that you can raise?) that doesn't cost the earth?

Thanks,
    Pa.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,384 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭zf0wqv9oemuasj

Though i wonder if people will get fed up of working from home and just go back to offices. which i think will happen. id say june or july 2021.

Hi, Why would people get fed up of work from home? It’s the best thing that’s happened in the working lives of many many people since they started working.

I went to my office for 4 weeks since March and hated every bit of it, I much much prefer working from home and being honest I wouldn’t mind level 5 being extended so the topic of returning to the office doesn’t get considered.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭VG31

Hi, Why would people get fed up of work from home? It’s the best thing that’s happened in the working lives of many many people since they started working.

Maybe because not everyone thinks the same way as you. Many people (like myself) would prefer to spend at least some time in the office.
    I went to my office for 4 weeks since March and hated every bit of it, I much much prefer working from home and being honest I wouldn’t mind level 5 being extended so the topic of returning to the office doesn’t get considered.

So you're happy for more people to lose their jobs and go through more economic and mental hardship so you can have an easier life? That's a great attitude to have. Unfortunately there's too many people like you. You might change your mind when you start paying more taxes to pay for all this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

Alot of employers are doing WFH really well including providing full proper setup/equipment/systems, 4 day weeks, flexi-time, full support from their management, regular virtual collaboration/engagement with their colleagues, non excessive workloads

Other people like myself are WFH with the opposite to the above and feeling the cons are outweighing the perks and not seeing any improvement in it 6+ months on

• Advertisement

I do a lot of strategy and planning stuff with global teams and we do ok virtually

Being sat in a room with 1/3 of my team means rather than trying to speak over the phone/video we can gauge body language in the room more easily

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

...being honest I wouldn’t mind level 5 being extended so the topic of returning to the office doesn’t get considered.

WFH should be implemented in level 1, for those that want it.

This yo-yo effect of going back in for a while until we move up levels & then out again for a month or two is nonsense. You see some people commenting about companies saying WFH until Q3 next year regardless. That’s good. Give people some certainty.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,229 ✭✭✭plodder

Guardian: Staff who work from home after pandemic 'should pay more tax'

According to some economists from Deutsche Bank - 5% per day, which made me check the calendar that it's not April 1.

Though maybe they mean a 5% tax on the day's pay, which would mean a 1% increase in tax on weekly pay for each day that you WFH. Still seems crazy to penalise people for easing pressure on resources, public transport etc and would be hard to implement (in my business anyway).

The whole premise behind it seems wrong anyway. In what way are remote workers not contributing to the economy?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

I'd happily never go back to the office - maybe 2-3 days a month to catch up with people but even then I'm not too bothered.

WFH is incredible, I think once we're out of lockdown people will see the benefits of it even more. It's probably tough for some people right now because there's nothing for them to do in the evenings or weekend so they're at home most of the time. I think when we can all do stuff again the time saved on the commute and having your own space will become far more appreciated. Sadly by then a lot of companies (mine included) will probably be demanding people go back in again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭vojiwox

Cina wrote: »
    I'd happily never go back to the office - maybe 2-3 days a month to catch up with people but even then I'm not too bothered.

WFH is incredible, I think once we're out of lockdown people will see the benefits of it even more. It's probably tough for some people right now because there's nothing for them to do in the evenings or weekend so they're at home most of the time. I think when we can all do stuff again the time saved on the commute and having your own space will become far more appreciated. Sadly by then a lot of companies (mine included) will probably be demanding people go back in again.

Yeah I think that's a big part. People forget that when things are back to normal there'll be loads to do in the mornings/lunchtimes/evenings and no need for commuting.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 396 ✭✭Open the Pubs

plodder wrote: »

According to some economists from Deutsche Bank - 5% per day, which made me check the calendar that it's not April 1.

Though maybe they mean a 5% tax on the day's pay, which would mean a 1% increase in tax on weekly pay for each day that you WFH. Still seems crazy to penalise people for easing pressure on resources, public transport etc and would be hard to implement (in my business anyway).

The whole premise behind it seems wrong anyway. In what way are remote workers not contributing to the economy?

That report assumes those WFH ≠ low paid workers.
    I am working from home and low paid worker. A significant amount of others would be.

It's a load of rubbish that report tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

H8GHOTI wrote: »
    WFH should be implemented in level 1, for those that want it.

This yo-yo effect of going back in for a while until we move up levels & then out again for a month or two is nonsense. You see some people commenting about companies saying WFH until Q3 next year regardless. That’s good. Give people some certainty.
    Yeah we have that, and likely indefinitely.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

plodder wrote: »

I'm paying more in heating & electricity bills, contributing to the economy.
    I'm buying more locally now than before, contributing to the local economy & local jobs.

Commuting is the only place where I'm not spending money now. In saying that, I'm not contributing to the damage it causes the environment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

I think that Deutsch Bank report has been widely ridiculed. They have a vested interest in getting people in London back into office buildings. Shameless self interest under the mistaken impression people wouldn't see through them. But in their arrogance have failed to realise that they're not the most intelligent kids on the block.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

No one I know is fed up working from home. Some might like to go back a day or two a week but that's about it.

Advertisement