Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working From Home Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Thats me

how many hours are people actually working from home since the pandemic?

id say the kind of people that did nothing in the office pre-covid are probably still doing less. A few friends i talked to from other different companies are saying they are flat out, working 10hours and checking emails late into the night.

im probably doing the same as what i did in the office. i do about 4-5 hours of solid hard work a day. if i did 7.5 hours of solid hard work id kill myself. i could go slower and work 7.5hours and get the same as what id do in a good 4 or 5 hours.

Who cares if your company happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭2lazytogetup

Thats me wrote: »
    Who cares if your company happy.

your have a good point. the reason im asking is that im looking to change job, and wondering if the consensus is that wfh is a bit easier across all workplaces. Or if every company has their staff working 12 hours.

Plus if i am staying put and get pressurised by current employers to deliver more work, more hours, is that normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Thats me

your have a good point. the reason im asking is that im looking to change job, and wondering if the consensus is that wfh is a bit easier across all workplaces. Or if every company has their staff working 12 hours.

Plus if i am staying put and get pressurised by current employers to deliver more work, more hours, is that normal.

As to my expirience, company do everything they can to avoid overworking. People tends to do it while they are always online, but it it is obvious this is a way to burning out. If your company has no understanding of this, or regardless of covid, just expecting you to do more for same money - i think better to escape from such business as soon as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Different in every job. I'm not sure WFH makes any difference. Makes no difference to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭ByTheSea2019

When I was working from home, i would sometimes log off at 4 instead of 5 if i'd had enough of it and then do the final hour between 10 and 11pm, so it might have looked to someone who got an email that late that i was doing crazy hours, but actually i was quite careful about doing exactly the same as always.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

how many hours are people actually working from home since the pandemic?

id say the kind of people that did nothing in the office pre-covid are probably still doing less. A few friends i talked to from other different companies are saying they are flat out, working 10hours and checking emails late into the night.

im probably doing the same as what i did in the office. i do about 4-5 hours of solid hard work a day. if i did 7.5 hours of solid hard work id kill myself. i could go slower and work 7.5hours and get the same as what id do in a good 4 or 5 hours.
    I think this is the way a lot of people work

Incorporate a few hours "flat out" throughout the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

My Husband who is WFH since March says that he is more productive at work.
    He doesn't need to leave home at 6.30am and instead can go for a run/exercise and then still start work at 8am. In the evenings he can finish at 5.30pm (normal day) or work late until 6.30pm or 7pm if necessary and not need to face 1.5 - 2 hours on public transport when he is done so he is not so tired.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭ByTheSea2019

SusanC10 wrote: »
    My Husband who is WFH since March says that he is more productive at work.
    He doesn't need to leave home at 6.30am and instead can go for a run/exercise and then still start work at 8am. In the evenings he can finish at 5.30pm (normal day) or work late until 6.30pm or 7pm if necessary and not need to face 1.5 - 2 hours on public transport when he is done so he is not so tired.

This is the thing. Previously Monday to Friday was filled with work or work-related activieties (getting ready for work, commuting to work etc). Now I actually have an evening and energy where I can get significant things done other than just a bit of TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

I presume a lot more people will be required to work from home from Monday, unless you are frontline worker/ work in essential service?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

Hopefully workers and employers will do the right thing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I presume a lot more people will be required to work from home from Monday, unless you are frontline worker/ work in essential service?

That is the advice

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

This is the thing. Previously Monday to Friday was filled with work or work-related activieties (getting ready for work, commuting to work etc). Now I actually have an evening and energy where I can get significant things done other than just a bit of TV.

While I have more time to train when at home, I found that I am more drained from work, it's more intense when working from home.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭jadie

Hopefully workers and employers will do the right thing.

You would think so but I work in a university and a good percentage of staff are expected to go in on Monday even though they can WFH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

jadie wrote: »
    You would think so but I work in a university and a good percentage of staff are expected to go in on Monday even though they can WFH.

Has the HSA Return to Work Safety Protocol been implemented in the University?

Yamanoto wrote: »
    Has the HSA Return to Work Safety Protocol been implemented in the University?

Yes and LWR was appointed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Yes and LWR was appointed.

Well unless you're deemed essential*, work from home and if that appears to cause an issue, ask for a request for you to attend your place of work to be put to you in writing.

If you feel your LWR and / or Union rep can be of assistance, no harm in bouncing it off them.

* even essential workers are requested to WFH where it's feasible to do so

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Everyone will be required to work from home, unless undoable. I expect within a week or two, the Gardaí will b'é enforcing a full level 5 lockdown. Right now, if we all self isolate for the rest of January, there will be 1300 in hospital with Covid. Organisations need to be outed now. Certainly for 6-8 weeks until some headway is made on vaccine rollout and suppressing virus, organisations need to play ball. Push back hard folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

It should be enforced but probably won’t. There’s checkpoints that’ll stop people going to woods or beaches for walks, 6km from home which is totally safe. But people will be allowed go to offices and mix.

Companies shouldn’t force employees to come in, bad form. But there’s also people who prefer being in the office and aren’t being stopped. I totally get that it doesn’t suit some people but some others are just taking the piss.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭KevMayo88

H8GHOTI wrote: »
    It should be enforced but probably won’t. There’s checkpoints that’ll stop people going to woods or beaches for walks, 6km from home which is totally safe. But people will be allowed go to offices and mix.

Companies shouldn’t force employees to come in, bad form. But there’s also people who prefer being in the office and aren’t being stopped. I totally get that it doesn’t suit some people but some others are just taking the piss.

I work in an office, and as our office falls into that loophole where we can be classed as a support to the construction industry, we are expected to come in to work in person on Monday. I think this is completely unreasonable given the way things stand. I expect the vast majority of office workers will be in work in person tomorrow, making a joke of this so called "full lockdown".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

A large proportion of my job could be done from home (say 2 - 3 days per week) but management class us as essential, and IT are in managements back pocket as they say they do not have the resources to facilitate WFH.

So into the office with all the others every day next week.

• Advertisement

A lot of office workers are in tomorrow, all managers in our place will attend even though they can easily work from home. Some classes are going ahead too bringing in students from all round the country.

KevMayo88 wrote: »
    I work in an office, and as our office falls into that loophole where we can be classed as a support to the construction industry, we are expected to come in to work in person on Monday. I think this is completely unreasonable given the way things stand. I expect the vast majority of office workers will be in work in person tomorrow, making a joke of this so called "full lockdown".

It’s not if your job is essential. It’s if your presence in the office is essential. That’s the guideline isn’t it?

So the fact you’re linked to construction shouldn’t matter. I wouldn’t see that as a loophole, rather just your employer ignoring the guidelines. If you can WFH, then you should regardless of industry.

Mr.S wrote: »
    I really don't get this. Why would employers want office staff to come in if they can work from home? It's a headache to have an office open and running at the moment, and that's before you even deal with potential cases happening from someone who works in the office.

Some people genuinely do need to go into an office, but there's no reason why it should be common place for the majority of the workforce.

Is it just archaic senior managers thinking that people don't work when they are at home?

It’s a university so under education, they are operating pods but not all areas

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

It’s a university so under education, they are operating pods but not all areas

Is that not supposed to be online ?

Stheno wrote: »
    Is that not supposed to be online ?

Some classes are going ahead on campus.

Some classes are going ahead on campus.

Why?

Mr.S wrote: »
    But still, even office based education staff, what's the logic to bring staff on-site? I can understand if they are teaching or physically need to be on-site to do their job (like access to equipment / systems).

I don’t understand it either. The TUI have sent management emails but no response. Business as usual.

Stheno wrote: »
    Why?

It’s crafts and trades & hospitality.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭KevMayo88

H8GHOTI wrote: »
    It’s not if your job is essential. It’s if your presence in the office is essential. That’s the guideline isn’t it?

So the fact you’re linked to construction shouldn’t matter. I wouldn’t see that as a loophole, rather just your employer ignoring the guidelines. If you can WFH, then you should regardless of industry.

I work in a repographics office, essentially providing paper and stationery to builders. How is that essential?

• Advertisement

KevMayo88 wrote: »
    I work in a repographics office, essentially providing paper and stationery to builders. How is that essential?

Oh so it’s not a job you can do from home? That’s a different argument. You think the business should close completely until February? Similar to non-essential retail.

Not really a WFH issue but can see where you are coming from.

Advertisement