Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working From Home Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Route1

My whole family have tested positive, I’m also exhibiting symptoms and got a test earlier today. I’m bedridden and in no state to work. However, still awaiting results. Wondering how I should best communicate this to my employer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

I think the Govt need to come out and make a clear statement regarding what is and isn't essential work. I have seen several cases of self important people claiming their work is essential when it really isn't.

Also, unless it's made clear that travelling into work when it's not essential is a serious breach of level 5 requirements we will continue to have people attending the office because they're bored at home all day, don't enjoy working at the kitchen table, miss the craic etc

There were almost 5,000 cases reported today and people need to cop on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

Route1 wrote: »
    My whole family have tested positive, I’m also exhibiting symptoms and got a test earlier today. I’m bedridden and in no state to work. However, still awaiting results. Wondering how I should best communicate this to my employer.

I guess the same way as you did in your post. Explain the situation to your employer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Hello Good Sir/Madame boss type person

I am feeling under the weather today and will be taking a sick day, if I take more than two sick days in a row I will present you with a note furnished from my GP for the required period of leave needed to get be back in tip top shape to be the bestiest employee ever for 2021

hugs and kisses

Route1

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭cjyid

Just be honest.

You've gotten a bad strain and are bed ridden. Can't be expected to do much in that scenario.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭hhmmm?

I hope it's not your 1st day back after the Christmas holidays. Do you usually ring in sick on the Friday of a bank holiday weekend also?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

I’d love to see the numbers for cases related to offices/workplace outbreaks and compare that to retail cases.

Closing retail is easy to enforce, making sure nobody is working in an office when they could WFH is very difficult.

There’s no major downside to people WFH. But closing retail is costing the government millions, economy will take a hit and there’s an impact on 1000s of people who are out of a job.

Of course, things are so bad now maybe both are needed but I do wonder about the benefit and negative impacts of both.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Route1

Unfortunate timing no doubt, but my entire family have tested positive and I’m awaiting results but have an awful fever and aches all over my body

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

hhmmm? wrote: »
    I hope it's not your 1st day back after the Christmas holidays. Do you usually ring in sick on the Friday of a bank holiday weekend also?

Lol it's like last year when we had to do lectures from home and my excuse would still be bad traffic or icy roads for not being at the first one

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭glack

You are sick - and too sick to work from home. Call in sick in the same way you would have when physically attending work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭dobman88

hhmmm? wrote: »

Really hope you're not in a management position.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

did you really need an entire thread for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,177 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Get a gp note?
    Even if you come back negative, why can't you get a note to say you have some kind of virus?

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 34 seaniewicklow

froog wrote: »
    did you really need an entire thread for this?

Maybe he wanted an answer as he is panicking. And maybe he didn't want a post to get lost in other covid threads? Have you any advice for him or just this comment?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Depends on what your.employer is like

All my colleagues are also wfh and in my.team of ten four have had Covid, all based in another country

My company is extremely supportive of employees who come down with Covid to the extent that if someone is unable to self isolate at home, they arrange and fund alternate accommodation.

As a result anyone who does get it, tends to be pretty upfront about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

H8GHOTI wrote: »
    .... But closing retail is costing the government millions, economy will take a hit and there’s an impact on 1000s of people who are out of a job....

We are seeing the impact of opening up retail for Xmas now in the numbers. Disaster IMO. Get everyone to mix in large numbers. Then bring it home for Xmas. How bad could it be.....

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Prefect_1998

Not sure of correct place, but when can I get my work from home 3.20 credits from revenue ? Been at home.since March.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Not sure of correct place, but when can I get my work from home 3.20 credits from revenue ? Been at home.since March.

If you are claiming yourself, you have to collate & submit the household bills for the period. Open to correction, but I believe it is 10% that is allowed to be used as a claim.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,303 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Threads merged

• Registered Users Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭howiya

The 3.20 number is if your employer is paying you an additional amount for working from home. Anything they pay you above 3.20 a day is taxable.

If you're employer isn't paying you anything then you need to go about working out the cost of utilities and claiming the allowable amount. Details here

https://www.revenue.ie/en/jobs-and-pensions/eworking/index.aspx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,799 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Steps listed here.
    If you can't claim the 3.20 you can follow the claim for other costs like electricity bills etc.

We'll worth claiming it too, seems like a tiny amount but when you add it up it basically covers an average broadband package for the year.

Back to the old routine for me tomorrow with the two girls home with me ( 3 and 7 ) Took a while to get a routine going last time out but we got there and my work (smallish tech outfit) got used to my youngest making cameo's on teams calls and were very flexible if I needed to tak time here and there with the kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭FionnK86

Tried claiming everyday since 1st, but unable to access Manage My Tax 2020>edit.

Anyone else have same issue? presume they won’t open until end of month.

Looking to see how much Covid tax I’ve to pay too.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭sassyj

We'll worth claiming it too, seems like a tiny amount but when you add it up it basically covers an average broadband package for the year..

The way I read it's a rebate at your higher tax rate of 10% of your bills. So if bills e.g. 1500, you'd be getting back either €30 or €60 ??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭FionnK86

FionnK86 wrote: »
    Tried claiming everyday since 1st, but unable to access Manage My Tax 2020>edit.

Anyone else have same issue? presume they won’t open until end of month.

Looking to see how much Covid tax I’ve to pay too.

Just FYI manage 2020 tax is working now, lads must be back to work. Claimed 40 this morning for WFH last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Back this morning on the 2mtre commute but don't expect to be back into the office until Q3 at the earliest.

Based on that I'm going to try and meander off to Alicante for 6 months from beginning of March where I can pick up and apartment at less than half of what im paying for my room now in Dublin City centre with very little happening. Will save me a fortune on living expenses.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Prefect_1998

Mr.S wrote: »
    How do you actually do this? I can't see it, unless I'm blind.

i submitted mine, 211 days from march 1st till dec31st

that sound right ?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,799 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

howiya wrote: »
    The 3.20 number is if your employer is paying you an additional amount for working from home. Anything they pay you above 3.20 a day is taxable.

If you're employer isn't paying you anything then you need to go about working out the cost of utilities and claiming the allowable amount. Details here

Great system in fairness just need the total bills for the time covered and the ROS system does the calculation for you! Took about 5 minutes max.
    I also had a massive 1500+ tax credit waiting for approval as I got married last year!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

I truly pity anyone who has been forced into an office today out of their employers arrogance.

I do work for a large multinational, but three people on my team are unwell and some others definitely coming down with symptoms between today and yesterday.

Had we all been encouraged to come in, I can only imagine the carnage that would have ensued.

It's only in the next few weeks we'll really realise how out of control this got at Christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭glen123

sassyj wrote: »
    The way I read it's a rebate at your higher tax rate of 10% of your bills. So if bills e.g. 1500, you'd be getting back either €30 or €60 ??

10% of heating and electricity and 30% of your broadband multiplied by number of WFH days and divided by 365, and then it's either 20% or 40% of that.

My total bills of 2180eur are coming up at 69eur tax relief for 200 days of wfh at higher rate of tax.:rolleyes:

Advertisement