Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working From Home Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭sassyj

glen123 wrote: »
    10% of heating and electricity and 30% of your broadband multiplied by number of WFH days and divided by 365, and then it's either 20% or 40% of that.

My total bills of 2180eur are coming up at 69eur tax relief for 200 days of wfh at higher rate of tax.:rolleyes:

Thanks, that's how I was looking at it. A poster commented it was the value of a broadband package and that had me doubting calculations. Pays less than a month's gas, they really pushed the boat out ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Prefect_1998

sassyj wrote: »
    Thanks, that's how I was looking at it. A poster commented it was the value of a broadband package and that had me doubting calculations. Pays less than a month's gas, they really pushed the boat out ha.

Do you out the full amount in the revenue tool for gas and elec eg 1200 and then full amount paid for broadband eg 700. Then the tool works it out what relief yoi get ?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,275 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

10% of heating and electricity and 30% of your broadband multiplied by number of WFH days and divided by 365, and then it's either 20% or 40% of that.

My total bills of 2180eur are coming up at 69eur tax relief for 200 days of wfh at higher rate of tax.:rolleyes:

It's pretty bad. If you were getting the €3.20 per day it would be multiples of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭thomas 123

namloc1980 wrote: »
    It's pretty bad. If you were getting the €3.20 per day it would be multiples of that.

Yes it’s a waste of time really.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Not worth my time going to the bother of doing that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

lawred2 wrote: »
    Not worth my time going to the bother of doing that

Cost is higher than the effort

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

thelad95 wrote: »
    I truly pity anyone who has been forced into an office today out of their employers arrogance.

I do work for a large multinational, but three people on my team are unwell and some others definitely coming down with symptoms between today and yesterday.

Had we all been encouraged to come in, I can only imagine the carnage that would have ensued.

It's only in the next few weeks we'll really realise how out of control this got at Christmas.

My ex-partner is going back tomorrow. She works for a Government agency. During the first lockdown she worked from home with no issues. When the lockdown ended she was bought back in 2/3 days a week. Which is still continuing.

When she questioned when had to come back in. She was told first time round they had no preventative measures in place, now they did.

Their measures are basically hand sanitizer and less people in the office. Not exactly reassuring.

Its frustrating. Because if a Government agency isn't following Government advice. What hope to those in the private sector have

• Registered Users Posts: 3,011 ✭✭✭Shelga

My friend is constantly pressured by her boss to go into the office for 2,3 days a week. It's not that he demands she goes in, but he will constantly send her messages along the lines of "If you'd like to go in this week..." It's only the 2 of them, and the idea is that she'd go into the office when he's not there. But it's work that can easily be done from home (financial stuff), and she'd have to drive in as she is not comfortable taking public transport, understandably. Thus contributing unnecessarily to the bad traffic, despite us being in level 5.

She also has concerns that the office is not cleaned very often or very thoroughly, and just isn't comfortable going in right now.

The government message is clear: Stay at home unless absolutely necessary. What can my friend do in this situation? Beyond having the awkward conversation where she tells him to stop asking her to go in, until level 5 is lifted? I get pissed off on her behalf every time she tells me about this :mad: I feel a decent boss wouldn't be putting her in this position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

Our CEO made it very clear this week that people are only to go into the office if it's absolutely essential and that no, wanting to get out of the house, preferring the structure of going into the office, missing the banter etc do not take precedence over keeping other people safe.

Have seen people self righteously and selfishly pushing these reasons forward during the last level 5 lockdown as justification for ignoring govt guidelines. Hope that won't happen this time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

Couple of people in my company, essential staff that can’t WFH, have tested positive this week. I’m at home since March but others have been going in when they could WFH.

Most of them have private offices and I doubt they are mixing for lunch etc., so shouldn’t be too risky but still. They would share kitchen with staff that have now tested positive. If they met in the hall could stop for a chat. Unnecessary risk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭KevMayo88

In my office, I am the only one working from home. I simply cannot understand when the other people I work with, who have families, etc. are choosing to come into our office (a non essential service I might add) in person. I was speaking to a colleage the other day, and she was insuinuating in a backhanded way that I was taking the piss working from home, when she and others decided to come in.When I responded I was doing this to protect a family member, her response was "well, we all have families".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Back when I last posted in this thread I said we had closed the office and had spent a weekend putting everything into a data centre and still people were saying that I will be back in an office as soon as it's over. When I was saying I shall be WFH as much as possible as I can do my job from home.

Well I quit that role and start a job next week 100% WFH as they don't have an office. You are going to see more roles like this in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Shelga wrote: »
    My friend is constantly pressured by her boss to go into the office for 2,3 days a week. It's not that he demands she goes in, but he will constantly send her messages along the lines of "If you'd like to go in this week..." It's only the 2 of them, and the idea is that she'd go into the office when he's not there. But it's work that can easily be done from home (financial stuff), and she'd have to drive in as she is not comfortable taking public transport, understandably. Thus contributing unnecessarily to the bad traffic, despite us being in level 5.

She also has concerns that the office is not cleaned very often or very thoroughly, and just isn't comfortable going in right now.

The government message is clear: Stay at home unless absolutely necessary. What can my friend do in this situation? Beyond having the awkward conversation where she tells him to stop asking her to go in, until level 5 is lifted? I get pissed off on her behalf every time she tells me about this :mad: I feel a decent boss wouldn't be putting her in this position.

She should be honest and tell him she doesnt want to go in as IT IS LEVEL 5.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Our place has been very decent about facilitating people.

You do get some people who are desperate to get into the office. They can't adjust to remote working. Some just want the visibility of being in the office. Some genuinely can't do their work from home.

That said, I know people who are forced to go back into an unsuitable office. Don't know what I'd do if I was forced into that situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

KevMayo88 wrote: »
    In my office, I am the only one working from home. I simply cannot understand when the other people I work with, who have families, etc. are choosing to come into our office (a non essential service I might add) in person. I was speaking to a colleage the other day, and she was insuinuating in a backhanded way that I was taking the piss working from home, when she and others decided to come in.When I responded I was doing this to protect a family member, her response was "well, we all have families".

I had similar months ago.

If you are able to WFH & your employer is giving the same opportunity to everyone then I don’t know why the attitude.

It sounds like she thinks she has to be there when she doesn’t. Not your problem. Some people are just strange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭seefin

That's ironic, her trying to make you feel bad. You're doing whats right for society as a whole and she's being reckless and selfish , unnecessarily going into the office. Tell her that the next time she says anything. People just don't get this whole pandemic thing, really bugs me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭seefin

That's ironic, her trying to make you feel bad. You're doing whats right for society as a whole and she's being reckless and selfish , unnecessarily going into the office. Tell her that the next time she says anything. People just don't get this whole pandemic thing, really bugs me

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Techold

Total double standards applied by this Government to civil servants. Despite their 'work from home' mantra some civil servants are being mandated to go back into their offices. For example, in a large government department in Longford, some staff have been instructed to return to office working on the whim of junior managerial personnel. These people were working successfully and efficiently at home. In many instances these moves appear to be part of the trip of 'close control' by many mini managers.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Techold wrote: »
    Total double standards applied by this Government to civil servants. Despite their 'work from home' mantra some civil servants are being mandated to go back into their offices. For example, in a large government department in Longford, some staff have been instructed to return to office working on the whim of junior managerial personnel. These people were working successfully and efficiently at home. In many instances these moves appear to be part of the trip of 'close control' by many mini managers.

WFH kills certain management roles, I'd imaging the CS is full of those roles

Techold wrote: »

I see Fórsa has come out and criticised civil and public sector managers who are flouting level 5 regulations. They call it macho management.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

Put it back on her.

How is it ripping the piss when your work is not suffering, you're doing the same if not more.

If she contests that in any way such as "Ah come on, you know you don't do as much from home", just disagree with her. Why was she not working 100% when she was WFH? Why was she ripping the piss?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,050 ✭✭✭OU812

We've been told that *if* we're going back into the office it'll be a maximum of 20% work time, the other 80% WFH, and want be starting until Q2 at the earliest.

And I appear t0 be developing muscle strain across my shoulders from working at the kitchen table for nearly 10 months - ergonomic chair & desk is important apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I see Forsa union has got the finger out and made a statement about public sector bodies instructing their employees to come into the office against public health guidelines drawn up by other (or the same :rolleyes:) public sector bodies.

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0112/1189171-forsa-work/

Better late than never from Forsa but these "widespread management failures" have been happening since the start of the pandemic. There have been very few/no periods since last March when the guidelines haven't recommended WFH. More important now than ever and idiot managers are still telling people who could WFH to come into the office.

A while ago, I heard from someone who is non frontline admin in the HSE that this was going on. So on one hand it's "protect the health service, stay at home, work from home". And on the other hand, "managers" who still think it's the 1970s (and who themselves should have been made redundant in 2005) are telling their staff to come into the office for no good reason.

I've come across some of this too. I don't know what's going through their little brains but suspect that it may be "best boy in class" or martyr mentality. They've come into the office, aren't they so brave and dedicated - unlike those dossers watching Netflix at home.

Similar to the martyrs who do loads of unpaid overtime and sneer at those who leave work on time.

If one of these types is in a management position, they will likely pressure their staff to get back to the office.

On the other hand, there could be a much simple explanation for staff wanting to come in - tight fcukers who don't want to turn on the heat, boil the kettle or buy a packet of biscuits when they can get it all for free in the hoffice.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭timeToLive

Anyone who can work from home and isn't right now is a moron plain and simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

In my CS role*, I reckon I could be referred to as one of those "Mini Managers" or whatever you want to call them (basically lower-middle management). I'd never ask any staff to attend the office to satisfy mine or anyone else's little power trips.

There is, in any shape or form, absolutely NO reason for any administrative Civil Servant to be in attendance in offices around the country right now. I understand that there are some idiots in managerial positions who would disagree with that standpoint, but they are wrong and may need someone more senior to have a chat with them.

*I should point out that I am on a career break and living abroad currently, so I am not completely au fait with the situation on the ground, I'm just erring on the side of common sense.

BrianD3 wrote: »
    I've come across some of this too. I don't know what's going through their little brains but suspect that it may be "best boy in class" or martyr mentality. They've come into the office, aren't they so brave and dedicated - unlike those dossers watching Netflix at home.

Similar to the martyrs who do loads of unpaid overtime and sneer at those who leave work on time.

If one of these types is in a management position, they will likely pressure their staff to get back to the office.

In my experience these people aren't actually any more productive than anyone else. They just confuse presenteeism with hard work. When they eventually move on its amazing how their replacement usually manages to get the job done with half the fuss and in half the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,624 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Then your work, or your bosses, are kind of breaking the rules themselves.

Everyone in your office should be WFH if they can.

Someone in the office should be the exception, not the rule.

Department of Public expenditure and reform drew up a ridiculous document in July stating that civil servants, including those at high risk and those living with people at high risk, should return to work if their manager wanted them to.

Fortunately it never saw the light of day. Can you imagine what the consequences would have been? You would have to wonder about the mindsets of the senior civil servants behind that piece of work.

• Advertisement

In my CS role*, I reckon I could be referred to as one of those "Mini Managers" or whatever you want to call them (basically lower-middle management). I'd never ask any staff to attend the office to satisfy mine or anyone else's little power trips.

There is, in any shape or form, absolutely NO reason for any administrative Civil Servant to be in attendance in offices around the country right now. I understand that there are some idiots in managerial positions who would disagree with that standpoint, but they are wrong and may need someone more senior to have a chat with them.

*I should point out that I am on a career break and living abroad currently, so I am not completely au fait with the situation on the ground, I'm just erring on the side of common sense.
    My experience has been that it is mostly senior people that are the problem by pressuring junior managers to get back to the office and get their staff back too. Or alternatively, pressuring the junior manager and then bypassing that manager and directly pressuring that manager's reports. Targeting the most junior people who are least likely to push back so they can then use the tactic of "well, everyone else is in the office" when tackling more "awkward" individuals.

I think it has highlighted a lot of issues with management in the public service. In normal times there would be a more vague sense of unease among staff that organisations are dysfunctional, senior management is disengaged and that there is bullying going on. Covid arrives and there are public health guidelines which get twisted or ignored to suit, that has shone a light on these issues IMO.

Advertisement