Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working From Home Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Thats me

WFH is the future and the future is bright. I like that I can get a job in any company even if they don't have an office in Galway.

Employer: WFH is the future and the future is bright. I like that I can offer a job in my company even if we don't have an office in Shanghai/Mumbai.

I believe WFO is stupid approach in many areas (WFO=WFromOffice). But how we will secure our workplaces when WFH will be widely accepted? For employer it will make not too much difference are you working from Donegal/ES/EU or IN/CN.. With few times salary difference should we look for cheap Chinese accommodation while it is still "cheap" (not that much cheaper than cheaper salaries there)?

Personally, for myself, i know i cannot be replaced by five Indians or Africans. It was tested :) But i also understand when remote work will become mainstream nobody will calculate the price precisely... So i'm a bit unsure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Thats me wrote: »
    The only reason why we have GDPR is because employers are often imbeciles. I never heard about any massive personal information leak caused by somebody like AndrewJRenko shhoting their screen with mobile phone... Usually it is companies sharing info for money or having not clear enough policies.

But, in the other hand, nobody of us would like to become victim of AndrewJRenko who would share your rectovaginal examination in the twitter if he left with no control like he has while working in the open office.

That is not the only reason we have the GDPR. It's worrying that there are people who think it only applies in an employer/ employee setting. :(

If you're planning on taking into care all kids from all families who can't afford to run the heating all day, then you'd better open up all the oul orphanages.

It is 21st century outside. If somebody is not capable to keep their family warm - he should be... I even cannot imagine who should be he.

I have lived in conditions where I had no indoor toilet yes.

Did you charge your parents/teachers/employers for your trouble with defecation in given circumstances?

Antares35 wrote: »
    That is not the only reason we have the GDPR. It's worrying that there are people who think it only applies in an employer/ employee setting. :(

Now you have an opportunity to enlight us ;)

• Advertisement

Now you have an opportunity to enlight us ;)

Enlight you?

Citizens information probably a good place for a beginner to start. They lay it out in a nice, simplistic way.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,907 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Personally, for myself, i know i cannot be replaced by five Indians or Africans. It was tested :) But i also understand when remote work will become mainstream nobody will calculate the price precisely... So i'm a bit unsure.

You're lucky.

I trained my replacement in China a few years ago, and he (+ silent team in the background) did just fine :-(

Recently I've been working with a smaller company who have just been purchased by a large UK co with branches across Europe. The parent just just set up a "Business Process" team in Latvia. I can def. see the writing on the wall there, too, even though the rest of the local team (who mostly haven't been in multi-national before) can't.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Did you charge your parents/teachers/employers for your trouble with defecation in given circumstances?

I just used the toilet in the shed lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

It is 21st century outside. If somebody is not capable to keep their family warm - he should be... I even cannot imagine who should be he.

5%-10% of people couldn't heat their homes from 2012 to 2017. In the 21st century.
    Table 3.5a from the CSO.

543546.jpg

Fuel poverty is a thing, and WFH makes it worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

Employer: WFH is the future and the future is bright. I like that I can offer a job in my company even if we don't have an office in Shanghai/Mumbai.

I believe WFO is stupid approach in many areas (WFO=WFromOffice). But how we will secure our workplaces when WFH will be widely accepted? For employer it will make not too much difference are you working from Donegal/ES/EU or IN/CN.. With few times salary difference should we look for cheap Chinese accommodation while it is still "cheap" (not that much cheaper than cheaper salaries there)?

Actually an awful lot of companies who tried this reversed the decision fairly quickly. Language barriers, cultural differences, lack of local knowledge, and time differences caused huge problems. This has been an option to companies for years, it’s not something new.

• Advertisement

No I don't know that. You know why? Because my Dept HAS made refunds to staff for the purchase of office equipment, including desks, where there was a case made for it. Granted, it was in limited circumstances, but it has happened, and it was for more then the €229 desk I linked you too.

Just as you should know, Andrew, you can make a formal request for anything and exceptions can ALWAYS be made at the discretion of senior managment. Given your claim of having an existing 20 year history of requiring a heightened desk, based on ergonomic assessments you say you've already had completed, which presumably are on record with your employer and backed up by medical evidence, then I sincerely do not believe it would be an issue.
    I find this very hard to believe. Feel free to share details of your Department in public or in private and I’ll submit an FOI request to confirm it either way. Here’s why I find it very hard to believe:
    Public sector expense guidelines are very clear and very strict. There is no general facility to approve payments to staff for purchases those staff have made. HR folks are also very clear on the dangers of ‘exceptions’. IF there is a facility to make payments to staff, there would need to be a clear policy on this, with published criteria. It would need to be open to all staff who meet the criteria, not just those who have a nice friendly PO prepared to sign off on it. I find it very hard to believe that any Finance officer or Payroll officer would be signing off on ‘exceptions’ like this.
    kippy wrote: »
    I don't know how many places you've worked in but if you come in earlier/go home later tis very easy to be in a massive office with very very few people around. It's very easy photo a screen no matter where you are. It's not as GDPR concern worth talking about. It's a pointless conversation. What stops this is not people around or technology, it's the resultant punishments that come down the line and/or adult responsibility.
    Ah stop. If you really want to steal data at work using your phone camera, you could come in early or stay a little late.
    Don’t know how many call centres you’ve worked in that deal with sensitive data, but the scenario of coming in early on your own doesn’t really happen. People come in on schedule, as do the supervisors.
    Re constructive dismissal, I doubt it Andrew. Then again, the water hasn't been tested this far, seeing as though we are in a pandemic and there's a lack of precedent. I suspect you would fail, but seeing as you're so certain you'd be successful (and given how clearly miserable you are with your current situation) why don't you pursue this and let us all know how you go. By the sounds of it you've little to lose anyway.
    The water hasn’t been tested, that’s correct – but wouldn’t this be an obvious constructive dismissal, where the employer would have changed the terms and conditions of employment in such an extreme way as to make the employment no longer tenable. Here’s the legal requirements for constructive dismissal;
    You are entitled to regard your contract as terminated if:
    • Your employer's conduct amounts to an actual breach of the contract of employment or, although it falls short of such a breach, is serious enough to warrant your resignation
    • Your employer's conduct shows that they no longer intend to be bound by one or more of the essential terms of the contract
    • Your employer has acted unreasonably
    My contract of employment specifies my workplace, with some provisions that this can be moved to another location. It doesn’t provide for a scenario where the employer no longer provides a workplace.
    As noted repeatedly above, we were all OK to be flexible in an emergency. You can’t have a 12 month emergency with another 9 months to go best case. That’s not an emergency.
    People often make accomodation and other life decisions based on their jobs.
    Unfortunately broadband is a major blocker of WFH and indeed economic activity in general, still in many parts of the country.
    I dunno, I'd be fairly harsh on this. If the guy wants to keep the job, do what is required (I think moving accomodation is allowed), if moving isn't feasible for one reason or another, look at the other options available.
    There's plenty of non WFH options available to those that aren't into WFH or working for companies that in normal times are 100 percent WFH. Like anything people are free to make up their minds, weighing up the pros and cons of all options on the table.
    I wouldn't write off working for an entire sector or growing sector because of something you've seen/read on boards.ie to be completely frank.
    Why would it be unfair dismissal?
    The employer offered him a 10 month contract on the basis that the role was a remote one for now, which presumably he accepted.

Why should the problem with his broadband provider now become his employer's problem to resolve? And why should they now have to go against government advice to accommodate him?

He has been given his options. Resolve the issue with his broadband or move. Moving is not forbidden in Level 5.

The employer is not at fault here. Not only that, they can let someone go within a probation period. End of story.
    If broadband is a requirement for the job, this should have been absolutely clear in the person spec and the contractual offer.
    Mr.S wrote: »
    That's actually fairly common.

Employer should make the office available to the employee if they cannot work from home, which is what most employers have done since lockdown 1.

I'm sure being told you would be fired because you can't get internet (which you probably have to pay for yourself) would be a clean cut unfair dismissal case. Unless it was something the employee agreed to and stated in the contract - which is still **** for them, but should have checked their connection etc.

Easiest option would be to move tbh, which is perfectly possible during Level 5.
    It’s not common in the public sector. The office isn’t available now in level 5, and wasn’t available in Level 3.
    Moving house is far from easy for anybody, and is extremely difficult for those with family.
    Salaries will be gradually reduced with these new casual ways of working. I already know of some companies that are looking to start charging their employees for providing this VDI technology to enable them to wfh.
    Which is why it is particularly important for employees to set expectations about being paid for the office space they are now being expected to provide to their employer.
    My wife just got told yesterday that she can WFH until end of 2021 if she wants. That now makes 2 of us. Delighted to be honest. We both have a good routine going. I will probably arrange for 1-2 days a week in the office from Sept myself. Then again I may not.

Great to hear that it’s working for you. Can you comprehend that it’s not working for everyone?
    And that is what this always comes back to. Your wants.

What you want is for your employer (the Government) to ignore their own guidelines and make a special exception for you so you can work in the office, despite them telling every other employer in the country to limit numbers attending workplaces to essential staff only.

And we've come full circle. Again.
    Why didn’t you bold the other bit of my post – the bit about having a safe working environment?
    No I'm suggesting it's childish and ridiculous to suggest someone provides a live video feed of themselves to a boards thread in order to prove a point. But you know that :)
    No more childish or ridiculous than suggesting that employees are now expected to provide CCTV surveillance in their own homes. But you know that.
    If you can see the problems with this surely you can see the problems with companies renting rooms in employees homes of them to facilitate their remote work.
    Don’t really see any connection between the two tbh.
    mmclo wrote: »
    Not exactly more recent cases say some type of basic fair procedure would still have to pertain
    Fair point.
    The only reason why we have GDPR is because employers are often imbeciles. I never heard about any massive personal information leak caused by somebody like AndrewJRenko shhoting their screen with mobile phone... Usually it is companies sharing info for money or having not clear enough policies.
    Yeah, it’s pretty hard to take such pictures in an open-plan office scenario, so it hasn’t been a big problem to date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Bigfatmichael

So really your just pissed off that you work in a call center earning minimum wage am I correct and expect your employer to fork out more money is that it?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,578 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Salaries will be gradually reduced with these new casual ways of working. I already know of some companies that are looking to start charging their employees for providing this VDI technology to enable them to wfh.

I am not sure how you come to this conclusion.

WFH, Remote Work, Flexible Work are not, in fact, new.
    Been around decades for some careers and in some sectors.

What companies are looking to start charging their employees for providing a Virtual Desktop Infrastructure (which BTW, is't just a technology that some companies use en enable WFH, it has many more use cases)? I'd be interested to hear about them.

You can find whatever you like hard to believe, Andrew. I find just about everything you post hard to believe.

I notice the one part of my post you chose not to quote was the part about exceptions, and if you have the medical assessments and ergonomics reports you claim you have on file with your employer.

Enjoy your Sunday, Im sorry I don't have time to indulge you today.

I find this very hard to believe. Feel free to share details of your Department in public or in private and I’ll submit an FOI request to confirm it either way. Here’s why I find it very hard to believe:
    Public sector expense guidelines are very clear and very strict. There is no general facility to approve payments to staff for purchases those staff have made. HR folks are also very clear on the dangers of ‘exceptions’. IF there is a facility to make payments to staff, there would need to be a clear policy on this, with published criteria. It would need to be open to all staff who meet the criteria, not just those who have a nice friendly PO prepared to sign off on it. I find it very hard to believe that any Finance officer or Payroll officer would be signing off on ‘exceptions’ like this.

Don’t know how many call centres you’ve worked in that deal with sensitive data, but the scenario of coming in early on your own doesn’t really happen. People come in on schedule, as do the supervisors.

The water hasn’t been tested, that’s correct – but wouldn’t this be an obvious constructive dismissal, where the employer would have changed the terms and conditions of employment in such an extreme way as to make the employment no longer tenable. Here’s the legal requirements for constructive dismissal;
    You are entitled to regard your contract as terminated if:
    • Your employer's conduct amounts to an actual breach of the contract of employment or, although it falls short of such a breach, is serious enough to warrant your resignation
    • Your employer's conduct shows that they no longer intend to be bound by one or more of the essential terms of the contract
    • Your employer has acted unreasonably
    My contract of employment specifies my workplace, with some provisions that this can be moved to another location. It doesn’t provide for a scenario where the employer no longer provides a workplace.
    As noted repeatedly above, we were all OK to be flexible in an emergency. You can’t have a 12 month emergency with another 9 months to go best case. That’s not an emergency.

If broadband is a requirement for the job, this should have been absolutely clear in the person spec and the contractual offer.

It’s not common in the public sector. The office isn’t available now in level 5, and wasn’t available in Level 3.
    Moving house is far from easy for anybody, and is extremely difficult for those with family.

Which is why it is particularly important for employees to set expectations about being paid for the office space they are now being expected to provide to their employer.

Great to hear that it’s working for you. Can you comprehend that it’s not working for everyone?

Why didn’t you bold the other bit of my post – the bit about having a safe working environment?

No more childish or ridiculous than suggesting that employees are now expected to provide CCTV surveillance in their own homes. But you know that.

Don’t really see any connection between the two tbh.

Fair point.

Yeah, it’s pretty hard to take such pictures in an open-plan office scenario, so it hasn’t been a big problem to date.
    So you are talking specificly about call centres in all of this conversation?
    The arguments and logical jumps you continue to come up with are funny to watch.

It's extremely EASY to take photos in an open plan office if you really want to, even in a call centre environment.
    Can we move on from this nonsense?

5%-10% of people couldn't heat their homes from 2012 to 2017. In the 21st century.
    Table 3.5a from the CSO.

543546.jpg

Fuel poverty is a thing, and WFH makes it worse.

Ah now.....
    Seriously - you've jumped the shark here.

Is it worth setting up an actual WFH megathread where we can actually discuss pros, cons, ideas etc rather than just indulging this self entitlement cràp, or would the same thing just happen again I wonder...

Is Andrew not the one who invented the hypothetical scenario about CCTV surveillance, and is now accusing others of stating support for it? If mental gymnastics was an Olympic sport he'd be doing well :D

Is it worth setting up an actual WFH megathread where we can actually discuss pros, cons, ideas etc rather than just indulging this self entitlement cràp, or would the same thing just happen again I wonder...

This is/was that thread in fairness.

Is Andrew not the one who invented the hypothetical scenario about CCTV surveillance, and is now accusing others of stating support for it? If mental gymnastics was an Olympic sport he'd be doing well :D

Eh no, you'll have to award the Olympic medal to others who came up with the idea of CCTV surveillance by employers in people's bedrooms and kitchens.
    Mr.S wrote: »
    Would you rather go without a job with a family to support, or go through the effort of moving house to keep said job? I know what I'd do, even if it's not ideal. But, in this case - finding a job is probably easier versus moving for a 10 month contract...
    I'd rather employers set out any requirements for broadband or other facilities in employee homes up front in the recruitment process, rather than waiting for employees to leave their current employment and start a new job.

It just might work out better for employers and employees if they are clear up front.
    If you want to set up a thread that discusses the pros and pros of WFH, I may not have much to contribute there. There may not be much value in such a thread either.
    Ah now.....
    Seriously - you've jumped the shark here.
    You don't think fuel poverty is a thing in Ireland in 2021?
    So you are talking specificly about call centres in all of this conversation?
    The arguments and logical jumps you continue to come up with are funny to watch.

It's extremely EASY to take photos in an open plan office if you really want to, even in a call centre environment.
    Can we move on from this nonsense?
    It's extremely easy to take photos all right. It's extremely difficult to take photos without being seen by someone else.
    You can find whatever you like hard to believe, Andrew. I find just about everything you post hard to believe.

I notice the one part of my post you chose not to quote was the part about exceptions, and if you have the medical assessments and ergonomics reports you claim you have on file with your employer.

Enjoy your Sunday, Im sorry I don't have time to indulge you today.
    I never said anything about having medical assessments and ergonomics reports on file. That's something that you came up with, so please don't try to hold me accountable for the twists of your imagination.
    So really your just pissed off that you work in a call center earning minimum wage am I correct and expect your employer to fork out more money is that it?
    This might come as a surprise to you, but when some people take part in discussions like this, they think beyond their own personal situation and consider the needs of others, rather than taking a selfish 'I'm alright Jack so FU' attitude.

• Advertisement

Post way too long to quote but seriously can't believe you've the audacity to accuse others of having twists of the imagination :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

Reading Andrew's Post he mentions that if a new thread was set up he wouldn't have much to contribute.

Surely that's reason enough to start one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Post way too long to quote but seriously can't believe you've the audacity to accuse others of having twists of the imagination :/

FOI requests? Seriously? Most ridiculous thing I have read today.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,172 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Andrew, do you really work in a call centre and have access to highly confidential data?

Do people that hold their phone get shot by snipers in case they are taking photos?

You are being very overdramatic. I hope for your reports sake that you are not in a management/supervisory capacity. Your management style suits Soviet Russia. Is that what you are afraid of, losing influence/fear?

In my recent career I have had access to production data in banks, investment multinationals and telecom multinationals and nobody has ever warned me about camera usage. Maybe it's a trust/professionalism thing.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,907 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I've finally spotted an ads for some established WFH jobs at the same time. Have summarised below, with some interesting parts in bold.

Amazon : https://www.jobalert.ie/job/customer-service-associates-amazon-4

Here are the first four points under basic "qualifications":
    You need to provide a quiet, distraction free work space within a dedicated room. You will need to have an ergonomic desk and chair.
    From a technical perspective, you would need to have a minimum broadband connection of 25MB download speed and 10MB upload speed using a hard-wire Ethernet internet connection (no WiFi).
    We will provide you with a complete equipment package ahead of your first day of training.
    Distance of modem to work space may require a long ethernet cable for stable connection.

Guaranteed 20 hours per week - but you have to be available for up to 40 (including nights/weeks) anytime between 6am to 12 am, Sunday to Saturday. (Including split shifts).

And they're paying $12 per hour.

eBay : https://www.jobalert.ie/job/work-from-home-and-customer-experience-teammates-roles-ebay

They say

Home Office Requirements
    eBay will provide you with all technology required for the role. You will need to provide:
    • A Home Office space with a door that can close, so you can work with no distractions and protect the privacy of customer information
    • An ergonomic desk & chair

If you pass probation, then they will install a dedicated business internet connection. But until then
    you will be required to use your own internet provider. Prior to installing eBay's dedicated business internet connection, eBay will reimburse you for the use of your internet service. Your internet service must meet the following criteria:

• High speed wired Internet service e.g. Fibre to the Cabinet, Fibre to the Home or Cable Internet. Lower speed wired service such as DSL and wireless services e.g. WiMAX, Satellite, Mobile are not permitted

• Your internet connection must meet the minimum download speed of 10 Mbps and upload speed of 4 Mbps

• An Ethernet cable connected from your Internet Modem to your Home Office, so you can connect the eBay computer to the Internet

• A dedicated phone landline (either existing active phone landline or inactive phone landline that can be activated)

Shopify aren't quite so demanding (https://www.shopify.com/careers/bilingual-customer-service-specialist-fluent-in-french-remote-ireland-f90b6143). They only ask for
    Have appropriate remote work set-up - such as quiet space, stable internet connection, and a back-up location in case of issues with the primary location.

Have access to a wired internet speed of at least 25 Mbps download speed and 10 Mbps upload.

Yes, you read that right. You have to have a 2nd workspace available at a moments notice - presumably also with wired broadband.

These are entry-level jobs for sure, but it's safe to assume that similar requirements will sooner or later apply to long-term WFH too, once the details are thought through.

WFH is the future and the future is bright? Yeah, right.

FOI requests? Seriously? Most ridiculous thing I have read today.

What about the part where he asked me to post a live feed of myself to Boards to prove that I am ok with surveillance or something... I just, can't keep up with the shifting goalposts.

What about the part where he asked me to post a live feed of myself to Boards to prove that I am ok with surveillance or something... I just, can't keep up with the shifting goalposts.

Ah I see, live surveillance feeds are OK for other people,but not for you.

Ah I see, live surveillance feeds are OK for other people,but not for you.

Another lie Andrew.

I never said anything about having medical assessments and ergonomics reports on file. That's something that you came up with, so please don't try to hold me accountable for the twists of your imagination.
    I've always had my desk raised in work on ergonomist advice, anywhere I worked for the last 20 years.

So who did the ergonomist assessement who gave you this ergonomist advice, you now say you never had?

And if you have had no ergonomist assessments on file, on what basis did your employer supply you with raised desks for the last 20 years?

I think you're trying to spoof us now, Andrew. If you're not going to post honestly, then any type of engagement with you is pointless.

• Advertisement

Another lie Andrew.
    Why are you so afraid of being monitored, as you said yourself.
    So who did the ergonomist assessement who gave you this ergonomist advice, you now say you never had?

And if you have had no ergonomist assessments, why did you employer supply you with raised desks for the last 20 years?

I think you're trying to spoof us now, Andrew.
    Have you dropped your claim about 'medical assessments' now? I didn't say that I never had ergonomist assessments - another twist of your own imagination there.

The ergonomist assessments were done by ergonomists contracted to various employers over the years. They weren't medical assessments, they were ergonomist assessments. I don't have them on file. Maybe the various employers have them on file, but I doubt it.

Advertisement