Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working From Home Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,904 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Nuts102 wrote: »
    I just listed out why I want to wfh as much as possible

Getting extra sleep
    Getting more time to exercise
    Getting more time to do work around the house instead of having to do it all on weekends
    Spending more time with my kid

You need to think about the subtext of your message.

None of those are benefits for the company. They're all me, me, me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,783 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Did you miss the part where I said these are reason's why I have had my best year performance wise at the company which very much benefits the company or does that part not suit your anti work from home attitude

Also not sure about where you have worked but my company places great importance on the mental health and happiness of employees

• Registered Users Posts: 18,578 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Surely you can appreciate that there are benefits for the company, but of course employees are "me me me" when it comes to employment. I am sure you are yourself.
    There are lots of things that the company provides for the employee that you would have to question - what benefit are those to the company?
    Healthcare, Bonus, Paying the employee in the first place - what are the benefits to the company in any of these?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Lads, whilst WFH is great the downside is it highlights a lot of jobs can be done from anywhere, including countries with similarly skilled staff wirh lower salary and operating costs.

Be careful what you wish for.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭a_squirrelman

Lads, whilst WFH is great the downside is it highlights a lot of jobs can be done from anywhere, including countries with similarly skilled staff wirh lower salary and operating costs.

This was known pre-covid and was happening regularly. MNCs move all the time, these multi-billion dollar companies aren't suddenly realising this because we are working from home.

• Advertisement

If I had a cent for everytime someone said this on this thread I'd be rich!

That's not really a new "downside". The technology and ability of companies to offshore workers has been in place for years now and companies actively engage in this BUT, it is not an easy thing to do/manage when you talk about offshoring work, as opposed to facilitatilny WFH within a national border.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Some people think that out sourcing is a new thing. Everyone jobs has been in danger of that for years.

BTW, I think vaccine rollouts would impact any decision to outsource. A lot of countries haven't even started to vaccinate people.

While we are behind the US and UK, we will not be too far behind vaccinations and we will largely be done year end, I would think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Not necessarily. Employee wellness is an important factor for companies these days, and many are looking at ways to improve the work life balance etc precisely because it means employees will be happier, more productive individuals. The holistic approach to wellbeing in the context of good management is not a new concept and was around well before covid struck.

It's not a simple case of keeping someone tried to a conveyor belt for ten hours and assuming more time on the job automatically equates to increased productivity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

Totally agree. Husbands company have off shored lots of entry level non client facing roles for a long time. IT depts are about 60% in lower cost locations. Difference now is they are seeking to off shore higher cost positions which they never would have before..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Batattackrat

Well yea it should be all about yourself and your personal health and enjoyment in life. You put yourself first and not the employers

Your acting like since a company pays your wages you should bend over backwards for them.

No thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,200 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Well yea it should be all about yourself and your personal health and enjoyment in life. You put yourself first and not the employers

Your acting like since a company pays your wages you should bend over backwards for them.

No thanks.

I remember a good few years ago there was a public sector pay negotiation and one proposal from the workers/union side was something like they all get extra holidays or something like that,and the time it raised a few eyebrows.

Anyway Ben Dunne was on the radio and said that if he was running it he would give them six months off twice a year.

The same is true here, being all about yourself is all well and good but you may find yourself job hunting if your employer don't see it the same way as you.

jrosen wrote: »
    Totally agree. Husbands company have off shored lots of entry level non client facing roles for a long time. IT depts are about 60% in lower cost locations. Difference now is they are seeking to off shore higher cost positions which they never would have before..

This option is not always available to many organisations, nor does it always work out.
    But again, its not like it hasn't been possible in the past for those organisations that have the capability to do it.

I remember a good few years ago there was a public sector pay negotiation and one proposal from the workers/union side was something like they all get extra holidays or something like that,and the time it raised a few eyebrows.

Anyway Ben Dunne was on the radio and said that if he was running it he would give them six months off twice a year.

The same is true here, being all about yourself is all well and good but you may find yourself job hunting if your employer don't see it the same way as you.

It's about suiting both parties, depending on the environment at the time, their may be more power with the employer or the employee.

People probably will find themselves reviewing their employment conditions as they generally always tend to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

kippy wrote: »
    If I had a cent for everytime someone said this on this thread I'd be rich!

That's not really a new "downside". The technology and ability of companies to offshore workers has been in place for years now and companies actively engage in this BUT, it is not an easy thing to do/manage when you talk about offshoring work, as opposed to facilitatilny WFH within a national border.

If I had a cent for everytime, oh never mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

This option is not always available to many organisations, nor does it always work out.
    But again, its not like it hasn't been possible in the past for those organisations that have the capability to do it.

But it is most definitely in the headlights now. WFH works, so why not avail of a low cost model.

Sam Hain wrote: »
    But it is most definitely in the headlights now. WFH works, so why not avail of a low cost model.

Becauase WFH is different to offshoring.
    Off shoring is not something that is easily available to every organisation.

Any organisation that could offshore prior to Covid can still offshore - those that weren't able to prior to Covid, will still be unable to for a number of reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

No thanks.
    If people are doing the job they're paid to do within the required deadlines then that's all the benefit they need to offer their company. They certainly aren't required to sacrifice time with family and friends and general quality of life in order to supply extra benefits to their employer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Batattackrat

Work from home isn't a new thing. If outsourcing was as easy as people think it is big tech companies wouldnt have there headquarters in Ireland regardless of the tax breaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,314 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Becauase WFH is different to offshoring.
    Off shoring is not something that is easily available to every organisation.

Any organisation that could offshore prior to Covid can still offshore - those that weren't able to prior to Covid, will still be unable to for a number of reasons.

The difference now tho is that the offshore country staff are also working from home!! It’s the modern technology and social media type companies that are loving all this, their piggy banks are smashing as more and more stupid video/phone technology is suddenly the most important requirement for a company, not to mention the never ending rabbit hole for security and privacy.

If the only thing protecting your job is your commute, your job is not long for this world anyway

• Advertisement

The difference now tho is that the offshore country staff are also working from home!! It’s the modern technology and social media type companies that are loving all this, their piggy banks are smashing as more and more stupid video/phone technology is suddenly the most important requirement for a company, not to mention the never ending rabbit hole for security and privacy.

Technology has always been important for companies and getting more important. Video calling and the like have been round for a long time at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

The Times are reporting that the UK are warning of another wave this autumn is "inevitable".

Even a mild Autumn wave will probably be enough for the government to continue to advise work from home.

September return to office could easily become a 2022 return.

JTMan wrote: »
    The Times are reporting that the UK are warning of another wave this autumn is "inevitable".

Even a mild Autumn wave will probably be enough for the government to continue to advise work from home.

September return to office could easily become a 2022 return.

WFH has minimal disruption to the economy, so it makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,915 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

wes wrote: »
    WFH has minimal disruption to the economy, so it makes sense.

Not if you're a micro-managing Karen.

Not if you're a micro-managing Karen.

I think a lot of those people are not long for the work place, once its seen how useless they are.

Senior management at my employers acknowledged productivity has gone up since we started WFH. I suspect it will become the norm going forward.

Also, today marks one year since I was last on the Luas. I have to say, I really don't miss that aspect of my commute. All I really do miss from my daily commute to the office is the option to have a pint on the way home. I don't miss the office either.

Actually when society returns to normal, my ideal would be to work from home, and when work is finished at 6pm, go out for a drink or a meal or go to the cinema.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Senior management at my employers acknowledged productivity has gone up since we started WFH. I suspect it will become the norm going forward.

Also, today marks one year since I was last on the Luas. I have to say, I really don't miss that aspect of my commute. All I really do miss from my daily commute to the office is the option to have a pint on the way home. I don't miss the office either.

Actually when society returns to normal, my ideal would be to work from home, and when work is finished at 6pm, go out for a drink or a meal or go to the cinema.

Much the same, though I'm slightly longer off the Luas. I was assaulted on it in broad daylight coming home from work one evening. Nobody was brought to task on it. There was a fair bit of anti-social behaviour, not to mention the increased exposure to general cold and flu never mind covid! Plus at least working from my kitchen I don't need to call my boss to tell him I'll be ninety minutes late for work because we've all been thrown off the Luas at black horse (again), buses are full and there's not a taxi to be found. The commute from the bedroom to the kitchen is arguably less fraught with such risk :D

• Registered Users Posts: 25,904 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Work from home isn't a new thing. If outsourcing was as easy as people think it is big tech companies wouldnt have there headquarters in Ireland regardless of the tax breaks.

Big tech companies are in Ireland only for the tax breaks, access to European language speakers without visa hassles, the chance to best-shore jobs needing English from the US to a cheaper location - and trips to Ireland for their execs.

As levels of English improve in Eastern Europe, and post-Covid travel is still curtailed, expect to see more jobs move there.

There really are very few jobs which cannot be offshored.

Big tech companies are in Ireland only for the tax breaks, access to European language speakers without visa hassles, the chance to best-shore jobs needing English from the US to a cheaper location - and trips to Ireland for their execs.

As levels of English improve in Eastern Europe, and post-Covid travel is still curtailed, expect to see more jobs move there.

There really are very few jobs which cannot be offshored.

Have you anything positive to say on WFH at all or is it all negative?
    If these jobs are heading east anyway a WFH friendly workplace isn't going to make any difference as to when they do.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Plenty of third party offshore operators hoovering up business (Infosys being a biggie). So big companies don't necessarily have to set up shop in India etc as such. Also means small companies can just buy what services they need from abroad without big set up costs.

Advertisement